PDA

View Full Version : What draws you necron players to your army?

Spectral Dragon
01-11-2010, 04:53
I'm starting this thread in the hope of getting some information for a project I am undertaking, a book I am writing which will mostly be about Necrons. What I hope to accomplish is to learn what drew people to the army in the first place, as that is often a driving force behind some writing styles, and what players find interesting about the army both fluff and play wise.

Since the focus of the book will be on Necrons, I want to do some leg-work on them before writing. They aren't human and they aren't close enough to being human for me to just sit and write like I usually do, so I am taking time to figure out how they would think, what draws people to them, what people hate about them ect.

Any input is appreciated. :chrome:

Torga_DW
01-11-2010, 05:23
well my 2 cents. My impression was that initially everyone was rather mindless with no personality, except the surviving star gods. Which was just their 'bit', you know the 'undead' of the future. But now it seems the lords may actually have personalities, from what i hear of the rumours, which seems to be supported by the blood angel fluff where they call a truce with a necron force. Which then leaves me scratching my head and trying to guess their personality.

But from what i remember, the necrontyr were vicious, envious and aggressive in their war against the old ones.

Cry of the Wind
01-11-2010, 05:46
I started a small army of them at one point. The slow pacing ancient evil was what hooked me in. The idea of slow but graceful robots coming after you combined with the whip fast movement of the Wraiths gave the army a bigger horror feel than most other races. It's a more Lovecraftian horror than simply blood for the blood god. The fact that these creatures are older than your entire species and their masters view you as cattle creeps me out. I kind of like the fact they are behind the scenes in a lot of the 40k story now, without it I wouldn't find them as scary.

ForgottenLore
01-11-2010, 06:11
What appeals to me about the necrons is the mixture of ancient horror and epic tragedy in their backstory. Here is a people that got tricked into willingly giving away their free will and everything else that may have made them "people" in the first place in order to become slaves with no possibility whatsoever of release. I just know that inside those living metal shells is the remnant of a being screaming and raving against its fate and the knowledge that it choose this and utterly, completely, impotent to do anything about it.

Its a classic "sell your soul to the devil" story and they managed to pull it off nicely. They are so much more interesting as villains than the 1 dimensional, almost cartoony, chaos factions.

TimLeeson
01-11-2010, 06:24
Terminator + HP lovecraft + Cybermen (real ones) = Made of win.

It's a perfect mix of all my favourite influences and imagery put into a combo that is one of the things I always wanted from 40k.

I also find the models inspirational - their simplicity allows alot of room for sculpting and customisation. I cant STOP getting ideas for necron armies and I have to hold back or else id have a dozen. Already working on necrons with a sumerian look, and another force with serpent head barreled lightning guns and scaled armour...

Reflex
01-11-2010, 08:10
total annihilation of the warp, souless harvesting, the tragic story of the necrontyr and the devotion they had to their gods. Also in game terms i loved that the basic warrior was possibly the best basic infantry at the time.

mashnovska
01-11-2010, 08:17
I liked the idea of many automatons lead by one immensely ancient and powerful leader. Originally I had thought the Lords would have more personality and motives because they are sentient, and retain all of their memories from before being uploaded. But unfortunately, the 5th edition fluff makes Necrons out to be a minor and senile annoyance.

Axeman1n
01-11-2010, 09:51
Relentless onslaught. They know no pitty or remorse.

Thanatos_elNyx
01-11-2010, 10:34
If you remember Kyle Reese's Flashback (flash-forward?) in the first Terminator Movie.
Where you see Humans Vs Machines and you are rooting for the machines; you may be a Necron Player.

I like that different Necrons have retained their intellect. Some are mere automatons; but others are still the full shilling and are still full of Hate for the living.
It is an interesting crossover between Zombies and Terminators.

Throw in some Lovecraftian Horror for their leadership and you have a perfect blend of Horror that should make facing a Nid horde as preferential thing.

Covering Fire
01-11-2010, 13:05
For me it was a combination of the models and the background. I started collecting Necrons about a year after their release and I was drawn to the look and feel of the models - the skeletal bodies, the translucent green tubes on their guns and the overall "evil machines"-theme throughout the army.

Fluffwise I like the fact that the Necrons are an ancient evil that is just waking up and the galaxy has not yet seen their full potential. What makes them scary is the fact that humanity does not know a whole lot about them and their technology. As others in this thread has said, the Lovecraftian horror theme gives the Necrons a strong appeal.

They also have an "evil-things-come-to-kill-you" horror theme going - Flayed ones draping the skins of their victims around themselves is one example, or the harvesting of entire planets. Their slow and implacabe advance on the battlefield is another creepy aspect - "you can run, but you can't hide" sort of thing. They will always keep coming and they will never tire...

With the Necrons, you always get the feeling that they (and their C'tan masters) are out there, somewhere, waiting in dark tombs...:chrome:

Kulgur
01-11-2010, 14:47
I tend to gravitate toward undead, high tech and stupidly hard to kill. Guess which race fulfills that?:)

farfromsam
01-11-2010, 18:09
large amounts of unknown tomb worlds with the most advanced technology in the galaxy ever to be seen to date. That paired with CHROME!

S00N3R FR3AK
01-11-2010, 18:49
I like the fluff of they never stop and only retreat when it suits them. Also the fact that you can't kill them is awesome too. They just (ugh brain fart forgot the word) despawn and rebuild.

d6juggernaut
01-11-2010, 19:08
Fluff-wise: Unstoppable ancient horror that possesses far more advanced technology than anything in existence. Utterly emotionless and silent in their advance. Practically immune to the two things that threaten humanity the most (the Warp and the 'nids). Can appear anywhere at anytime. Oh and the fact that we're not even facing their real military and we're still getting slapped around by them.

Rule-wise: Ultra-advanced technology = breaking all the rules. ie. Warscythe(No saves AT ALL), Living Armor (No melta special rule for you), Gauss(Tank killing bolters), etc. Teleport based movement is also very neat.

Souleater
01-11-2010, 19:37
I mainly play horde armies in which individual troopers get removed with great regularity to even small amounts of shooting or bad assaults.

Necron on the other hand are an elite style army with some 'tough' troops.

Fluffwise I love the idea of machines coming out of statis after millenia. Oh, and I'm a big fan of the Elder Gods, unknowable horror insanity picnic of HP Lovecraft.

Bonzai
01-11-2010, 19:41
From a fluff perspective, they are the sleeping dragon (litterally in one case), that is just starting to wake. No one knows how bad it's going to get, but all agree that what has been seen so far, is just the tip of the iceberge. As the poster above said, there is a tragic irony to the race. In their quest to gain immortality, they became eternal slaves. What were once the most brilliant scientific minds in the known universe, are reduced for the most part into mindless automatons. Unlike the Orks and the Tyrannids, the Necron threat is subtle, with their motives unknown. A raid on a planet could be just that, or it could be just one step on a plan towards galactic armageddon. You just don't know.

A fight against the Necrons should leave an impression of futility. No matter how many times you shoot them down, they get back up and keep coming after you. Even if you win the battle, you know that it is a temporary respite. They are a timeless evil, and will be back. Their technology is mysterious and though ancient, is far in advance of what your own could ever hope to be. If they ever brought their full attention on something, they could crush it like an ant if it suits them. But why should they rush? They have all of eternity.

One other fluff aspect I like, is flayed ones. We know that Immortals were the first to convert, and thus earned better bodies and positions of status in the Necron heiarchy. I like to picture flayed ones as those who resisted. Those who didn't want to give up their flesh, and had it stripped from them by force. The experience drove them mad. Now they are insanely jealous and covetous of those who are still living, and are desperate to get back what they had lost. Over the centuries, as their personality and memories are slowly eroded, that one overriding impulse remains... to reclaim their flesh. Hence their penchant for skinning their prey and drapping themselves in the bloody tatters.

Anyways.... that's how I pictured them fluff wise.

Gen.Steiner
01-11-2010, 20:24
Caveat: I don't yet have a Necron force. What I do have is a series of thoughts on the Necrons and why I will be collecting one, eventually:

They are an ancient, implacable, terrifying race bent on the utter annihilation of all life in order to win a war they fought with a race whose power and ambition make them not just gods, but creator gods - the Old Ones. The Necrontyr are the only race not to have been influenced* or created by the Old Ones, and they are so determined to win their war that they sacrificed everything they wished to save by fighting.

They are awakening and they will come. They are mysterious beings - alive and dead, with memories and an absence of memories; they are the ghosts in the machine who must rage against their defeat at the hands of the Old Ones and their deceitful gods, and who will stop at nothing to revenge Necrontyr on the galaxy which has given them nothing but suffering.

To the Necron, then, I say this: Come, fight, kill, and sleep your sleep of eternity once more...

Yresk
01-11-2010, 20:25
i wanted that massive phalanx of warriors just closing in and never letting up. i only had two lords with some cheap uppgrades and then NOTHING else but warriors. and just to walk slowly acroos the board and get to fireing range and just rip down the targets with concentrated gauss fire.
no tactics, no brains, just "Brains" i mean "souls that live"

Souleater
01-11-2010, 20:43
I tend to gravitate toward undead, high tech and stupidly hard to kill. Guess which race fulfills that?:)

The Squats? :D

Loopstah
01-11-2010, 20:47
The fact they will win in the end and that you can't bargain with them, can't plead with them, can't appeal to their better nature, can't scare them away, can't discourage them and can't escape them.

The Eldar know the truth, the Necron's will consume the galaxy in a shroud of death.

ForgottenLore
01-11-2010, 20:54
The fact they will win in the end and that you can't bargain with them, can't plead with them, can't appeal to their better nature, can't scare them away, can't discourage them and can't escape them.

The Eldar know the truth, the Necron's will consume the galaxy in a shroud of death.

Except the Tyranids will eat everything and then move on to another galaxy first.

Kulgur
01-11-2010, 20:57
The Squats? :D

I did almost make an army of them in 2nd Ed

Lexal Graves
01-11-2010, 21:22
The Combination of a Terminator-based army and the relatively low cost of the army drew me into them. [1,000 points for just over 100 USD? yes please]

Simo429
01-11-2010, 21:34
I'm not a necron player but its an army I'm very drawn to for the challenges it offers modelling wise. A friend has a beautifully painted necron army and he has converted loads of it.

Loopstah
01-11-2010, 22:29
Except the Tyranids will eat everything and then move on to another galaxy first.

The C'tan don't care how many legs their food has, without the Hive Mind the Tyranids will just become another meal.

burad
01-11-2010, 22:38
I wanted a second army, and i wanted it to be one who hates everybody else. Plus be easy to paint.

Stonerhino
01-11-2010, 22:39
Because, in the Grim dark future there is only war... Untill the Necrons fully wake up and kill everyone.

Cythus
01-11-2010, 23:04
Two things: The Fall and The Evil

The Fall
Think the eldar fall was tragic, they still have survivors, their free will, and something to fight for, the saving of the galaxy. Necrons have nothing and they had everything; they had the best technology ever and then it got even better with the C'tan giving them living metal, FTL drives providing near instantaneous travel and more.
The galaxy was theirs...
and then betrayal by their gods, no free will, most have no personality, merely the automata of their gods. Men into machines, an ironic contrast to the common sci-fi plot of Ai and machines into men.

The Evil
Soulless, Mindless, Logic evil, greater than both the morally neutral killing of the tyranids and the manic, violent, hate driven evil of Choas. The terminator style threat with one imperative: to kill for the C'tan.
And those which are not soulless have a hatred of all life, something which surpasses even Chaos for which something must remain. And these sentient Necrons do not know why they have these feelings; Half formed memories in dreams and urges birthed in unremembered nightmares. But even this mental torture doesn't stop the cold-immplacable logic than drives their killing.
And the C'tan. Life isn't even playthings to them, merely food, albeit food which fights back. Creatures more powerful than the gods but with a tantalising hint of mortality.

xTKsaucex
01-11-2010, 23:11
A lot has already been mentioned but my first proper army was necrons. After reading the codex you get the sense that they are a part of a millennia long scheme to rid themselves of lesser beings in the galaxy in a mass genocide. The fact that their gods have also been playing a part in the fate of the galaxy before many races even came into being is another plus. The hint that Void Dragon is also the root of the Merchanicum on Mars is a good plot twist because were it true then the Imperium would crumble over night if the necrons were ever reunited with their old god again.
Another would be the whole fade in and fade out style of fighting they have. Eerily phasing into fighting with no warning then leaving no trace of their existence after fighting. Best, in terms of book writing would be the idea that they are possibly underground on any planet waiting to be found. I know this straying a bit but from the Halo novels - Ghosts of Onyx (you can find it on Scribd.com) comes to mind as its a book based on the awakening of ancient Robotic droids underneath a planet which then start killing everything on the surface.

Pariahs are another good angle - I remember reading somewhere that it was the C'Tan's redesign for humans, a bit like a cross breed of Human and Necron genetics, might be wrong though.

Evilblobs
02-11-2010, 02:05
Assuming one stays away from immortals, relatively cheap; low model count.

Models start pretty simple and regular, leaving lots of room for easy and/or creative conversions.

Good fluff.

All you have to do is not paint them straight gunmetal/chainmail/anything metallic, and people get interested through simple non-standard-ness.

Monoliths.

Deadly Cornbread
02-11-2010, 02:51
I like them because they karate chop the lesser races of the galaxy, one power armored loser at a time.

Geep
02-11-2010, 04:07
I was playing 40k before Necrons became known as a race (things like the Space Crusade chaos android gave hints of the future though, looking with hindsight). I like the way the race was slowly revealed in White Dwarf- an extremely ancient, tough and persistent race with no details known about them except that they appeared without notice and disappeared just as mysteriously, whether they won or lost, fighting for an unknown purpose. At this time all sorts of theories were put forward- were they capturing people to rebuild their race in flesh? Experimenting for fun? Collecting a zoo for study?
It was great to be able to watch the race slowly form over time, and eventually having them get linked to the Old Ones and the Fall of the Eldar made their background awesomely epic in scale.
I also liked the models that were revealed- I remember showing my friends a pic of a Monolith, and they all just claimed it was a fancy piece of studio scenery.
(I also watched the dark eldar develop in a similar way, but their models really turned me off them)

I prefer the idea of most warriors not being completely mindless automatons, but definitely dulled in mind- only vaguely realising the horror of their story. I also like the Lords having more personality- although not to the extent that they dress up as an inquisitor (Xenology is very bad for plot IMO).

I really like Bonzai's background for flayed ones (previous page)- "One other fluff aspect I like, is flayed ones. We know that Immortals were the first to convert, and thus earned better bodies and positions of status in the Necron heiarchy. I like to picture flayed ones as those who resisted. Those who didn't want to give up their flesh, and had it stripped from them by force. The experience drove them mad. Now they are insanely jealous and covetous of those who are still living, and are desperate to get back what they had lost. Over the centuries, as their personality and memories are slowly eroded, that one overriding impulse remains... to reclaim their flesh. Hence their penchant for skinning their prey and drapping themselves in the bloody tatters."
That kind of half-remembered purpose really suits IMO.

Blink
02-11-2010, 05:38
I play Necron because winning with an army that's considered underpowered is funner than winning with an Army like Space Marines.

Necron are very limited in their options so playing them requires more wit and cleverness than something like Space Marines where you have plenty of options to meet your needs.

As such, they are a much more rewarding army to play.

Kurgash
02-11-2010, 05:45
When I decided to get into 40k, I wanted something alien. Something the complete opposite of humanity and everything that derived from the gallant heroes. I saw the Necrons and instantly fell in love. Robotic warriors that kept coming back no matter how much you knock them down. I bought one warrior box first and slowly I assembled my host, got my codex and when I sat down and read the story front to back I knew I was hooked on them. Advanced technology, betrayal, unending hatred for all that lives and the fact they played a role in alot of the known backstory adds more to the intrigue as you can piece together events and come to new conclusions, Gothic Wars for example. Originally thought a war between Chaos and Imperium it turned out to be something orchestrated by the Deceiver just to destroy the Blackstone Fortresses, nothing more.

oCoYoRoAoKo
02-11-2010, 15:14
I personally love the necron background and their art-style. They have an air of tragic horror about them which really appeals to me.

From a personality standpoint, imagine you have become immortal but everyone else around you are mindless slaves to your will. With no company for millenia i would imagine that most necron lords aren't all there from a mental standpoint.

Cy.

Souleater
02-11-2010, 18:11
What also amuses me about the Necrotyr is that their current situation is pretty much their own fault.

Horribly scarred by the sun you live under but have a stunning grasp of technology...move house. Seriously. Don't sit around getting all bitter and twisted about the Old Ones. Move.

Nah, we're not going to do that. We're going to start the first intergalactic war.

TheLaughingGod
02-11-2010, 20:07
I'm pretty sure it's the monotonous boring personality of the army that attracts the specific type of player :P

Nah, it's the robot cthulhu thing

The Ginger Ninja
02-11-2010, 21:11
When I first started playing 40k, all I had to look though was the big 4th edition rulebook.
I kept flicking though the pages, and eventually I liked the look of Space Marines (chaos and loyalist), Dark Eldar, and Necrons. I ended up choosing Necrons mostly though a process of elimination.
Space Marines. I heard they were dead common, but I liked the overall look of the army.
Chaos SM. The guy who taught me how to play played CSM, so I didn't want to go with those, but CSM are next on my to buy list once I finish my Necrons (if ever).
Dark Eldar. I figured that going with an army just to have one cool looking model was a bad idea (raider). Silly 12 year old me :rolleyes:
EDIT, I almost nearly went guard, because I love artillery and tanks.
Necrons. I liked the overall look of the models, and I was into the whole Egyptian thing at the time. The back story also intrigued me. I cannot remember anything about them I did not like. They just sounded so cool, I ended up buying box of warriors and I have been hooked on the plastic drugs since then :angel:. (BTW I had not seen or heard much about the terminator movies at the time)

Horribly scarred by the sun you live under but have a stunning grasp of technology...move house. Seriously. Don't sit around getting all bitter and twisted about the Old Ones. Move.

IIRC there was a cancer in the Necrontyr race. I believe they also had colonies away from their system?

Ulrig
02-11-2010, 21:15
I have to admit, I have always hated necrons....but reading the snips fluff behind them here is much more in depth and intriguing that I ever thought possible. I might look into them when they get updated.

Theocracity
02-11-2010, 22:35
I'm not a Necron player, but I've always liked what their fluff had potential to be. I'm not drawn to the soulless terminator aspect of them - more the primordial terror of the eons they represent. I like the idea of staring into a Necron's eyes and seeing shadows of squat stone ziggurats, hidden in sickly green mist, with the sounds of long-silenced drums beating the forgotten rhythm of a species both long dead and eternally living.

I like the idea that the Necrontyr once rejoiced in their undying bodies and fought gratefully for their mysterious masters, only to slowly realize that their regeneration restored their mind's circuitry to it's original state as well as their bodies. They saw their compatriots forget their species culture and lives, slowly becoming less sentient, yet still they had no choice but to do their master's bidding - after all, they were granted eternal life. Now only few remain, their few clear memories ancient relics whose integrity is jealously guarded from damage. Those who are still somewhat sane despite the eons of decay have seen their former friends become soulless zombies or broken and insane - yet still they must go forth and kill for the Star Gods who laugh at their plight.

I also like the bits of knowledge we have about the Star Gods themselves, as how they have set up almost all of human society - both their technology and the genes - as traps humanity gratefully uses but will turn in a moments notice. I wish that they were a bit less human and a bit more cosmic horror, but they have a good start.

insectum7
02-11-2010, 23:38
I originally started my Necron army as a joke right after seeing Terminator 3 in the theaters. No one else at my club was playing them, and an army of unstoppable killing machines just sounded cool. But it quickly became one of my favorite armies to play because of all the teleportation and the resilience of troops. The Monolith is a great model too, you just slam it down among the enemy lines and begin dumping Flayed Ones into them. Fantastic!

RobPro
02-11-2010, 23:44
Necrons always struck me as the one force everybody could pull together to hate, and even then that may not be enough to stop them.

Spectral Dragon
06-11-2010, 04:05
Thanks everyone for the great feedback!

To answer one guys question: The Necrons did "move house" as thier first idea, but the disease had allready taken root. Or was it the Deciever's doing, so they couldn't escape it anyway? Hmmmmm......

Ghost-13
06-11-2010, 05:03
I am quite fond of the unfeeling merciless killing machines aspect of the army. The star eating gods, was a side benefit.

Spider-pope
06-11-2010, 13:11
One other fluff aspect I like, is flayed ones. We know that Immortals were the first to convert, and thus earned better bodies and positions of status in the Necron heiarchy. I like to picture flayed ones as those who resisted. Those who didn't want to give up their flesh, and had it stripped from them by force. The experience drove them mad. Now they are insanely jealous and covetous of those who are still living, and are desperate to get back what they had lost. Over the centuries, as their personality and memories are slowly eroded, that one overriding impulse remains... to reclaim their flesh. Hence their penchant for skinning their prey and drapping themselves in the bloody tatters.

Anyways.... that's how I pictured them fluff wise.

Thats the first time i've heard that idea for Flayed Ones, and i have to say it's a brilliant one. I really hope that GW go that route with them in their update of their codex, because it really adds a tragic element to them.

Whilst i dont have a Necron army currently, it was the hints of Lovecraftian menace in their fluff that makes them appeal to me. It's been carried on in the Ciaphas Cain novels too, which really adds a sense of dread to the Necrons, beyond that of the Tyranids and far beyond Chaos. It's something i hope GW carries over to the new book, hopefully without making it too overblown.

Gatsby
06-11-2010, 19:08
I play Necrons because they are made of 75% epicness, 20% awesome and 5% titanium-zinc alloy.

MadHatter
07-11-2010, 00:01
I started my necrons (warband) when they came out in white dwarf.

but it was 3 years ago that I actually made a necron army, when my co-workers and I were doing a in store competion. Make and fully paint (yes based) a 1500 pt. army in one month. necrons were the only army i had not collected, aside from the dozen models for years before. I love the ease in painting them. Since then I have played them on many occassions and i find I enjoy it. the satifaction of beating an opponent down when they see the army and laugh at how out dated they are. or the lack of troop choices. but i think its this that keeps me interested in them. I do not want large troop choices for them. I like the image of the terminator stepping on the human skull and crushing it to pieces from the first terminator movie.

Angelwing
07-11-2010, 09:07
I started necrons when they gave away the free warrior on the front of WD. I had a small force of warriors, scarabs and destroyers, later adding the lords and immortals when released. I played them because no one else played them, they were an underdog army, they were really different, had a big mysterious background hinted at in WD and because lots of people gave me their free warrior models.
It helped they were easy to paint too!
I guess that I also play undead in warhammer drew me to necrons.
When the current codex was released I thought it one of the best they have ever done in terms of background and army list. Plenty of paint schemes, the scenerio and lots of game seed ideas. I still think it's one of the best too, despite the fact that 2 edition changes have reduced the actual list playability.

So, to sum up: Models, background, completly different army.