PDA

View Full Version : 3 trygon primes, why not?

Ozeor
01-11-2010, 10:00
For 40pts I'm gaining a synapse creature that can shoot 6 more shots can deep strike right into enemy lines and shut down psykers, and has a leadership 10. Tell me am I crazy to be taking 3 trygon primes?

Dreachon
01-11-2010, 10:03
If it rocks your boat then by all means field them, it should certainly scare your opponents.

Bestaltan
01-11-2010, 10:27
Well, if the psykers stay in their vehicles, you're not shutting anything down.

Archibald_TK
01-11-2010, 10:54
For 40pts I'm gaining a synapse creature that can shoot 6 more shots can deep strike right into enemy lines and shut down psykers, and has a leadership 10. Tell me am I crazy to be taking 3 trygon primes?
It's not crazy, but 120 points is a lot and would allow you to efficiently bolster the rest of your army in many ways. 3 DS Trygons are already a pain to deal with for your opponent and the upgrade is quite costly for not a lot of additional bang.
Usually I would prefer using these points on adding another unit but I won't be shocked if someone prefer fielding 3 Primes. It's legit.

Well, if the psykers stay in their vehicles, you're not shutting anything down.
Well technically, the 12 shots of the Prime would give it a decent chance of popping a Rhino and let the Psyker in the open under SitW influence. Still unless the OP is constantly facing JotWW trigger happy SW players I hardly see it being that useful. (For additional lolz the SW player can now disembark one unit from another transport, embark its psyker inside and then proceed into kicking some Tyranid *** without any side effect)

Archangel_Ruined
01-11-2010, 16:11
Because it wont make you popular? It's a nasty combo, especially if you're combining it with other fast gribblies that need the synapse creature.

WildWeasel
01-11-2010, 16:47
It's not crazy, but 120 points is a lot and would allow you to efficiently bolster the rest of your army in many ways. 3 DS Trygons are already a pain to deal with for your opponent and the upgrade is quite costly for not a lot of additional bang.
Usually I would prefer using these points on adding another unit but I won't be shocked if someone prefer fielding 3 Primes. It's legit.

Well technically, the 12 shots of the Prime would give it a decent chance of popping a Rhino and let the Psyker in the open under SitW influence. Still unless the OP is constantly facing JotWW trigger happy SW players I hardly see it being that useful. (For additional lolz the SW player can now disembark one unit from another transport, embark its psyker inside and then proceed into kicking some Tyranid *** without any side effect)

Or just pile out the far side of the wrecked transport, and if need be, walk backwards a little bit. SitW is only 12" afterall.

Kelderaith
01-11-2010, 16:50
Having one is rather useful to provide synapse "in your backyard" but I hardly see the point of taking 3 (I meant upgrade, not beast). 40 pts per pop is a lot for a few more shots, Synapse and StoW aren't needed everywhere.

slingersam
01-11-2010, 17:00
I recommend maybe 1 or 2 at the most as the third one will be a waste. I don't play Tyranids so I don't know what you can buy for 40pts but that does equal a lot of termagaunts.

Morganstern
01-11-2010, 17:04
8 basic termigaunts.

slingersam
01-11-2010, 18:12
8 basic termigaunts.

Thats 8 basic shots not being wasted on the more important things plus it provides a nice cover save.

MistaGav
01-11-2010, 18:29
Well it may be a 40pts upgrade but it's still 200pts for the trygon to begin with. If you plan on taking 3 of them then that's 720pts which is a fair bit of your total points allowance. OK it may be worth it as the trygon is a beast (especially 3 of them) but it is still a huge points sink which can be spent on other things...

ReveredChaplainDrake
01-11-2010, 18:36
Thats 8 basic shots not being wasted on the more important things plus it provides a nice cover save.
And the better part of a Troop Tervigon unlocker.

Or the points to turn 20 Hormagaunts into 20 Toxic Hormagaunts.

It really depends on your list. I wouldn't take Primes unless my synapse is absolutely starved, or unless I need it that much. (And even then, I have Zoanthropes. What? Has everybody just forgotten tha Zoans are synaptic?) My armies don't usually field too much that needs Synapse anyway, so I don't see the point.

Cry of the Wind
02-11-2010, 00:20
One prime for sure but I don't think 80pts is making its best use in 2 extra primes. I scared by Trygons enough as they are, adding in prime doesn't really mean much to me as they still die as easy and the extra shots aren't worth the increase in points on its own. I think you should have one and if only taking one Trygon make it a prime but more than that and you probably are lacking in something else in your army (unless you're playing 3k or something like that).

Hive Fleet Snackin'
02-11-2010, 02:17
3 Trygons? Absolutely.

3 Primes? Unnecessary.

Take 1 Prime and 2 Trygons.

However, in any combination, 3 of those suckers might make you unpopular.

Branderic
02-11-2010, 06:42
After the 1st prime you are paying 40 points for Containment Spines. I'd rather put TL Devourers on a Carnifex or Hive Tyrant for 30 points-- or spend the 40 points on a spore pod for Zoanthropes.

Silent_Moebius
02-11-2010, 07:47
The only case to use three primes is, when you have no other synapse there. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense to give all your trygons the prime upgrade.

Vaktathi
02-11-2010, 08:16

That 120pts could almost buy 3 more hive guard, and that additional shooting often may simply be unnecessary, and likewise the synapse may not be necessary given the often solo nature of the beasts and somewhat singular focus.

Ozeor
02-11-2010, 11:20
1 thing i dont understand is how a normal hive tyrant with boneswords is 100 times better then the swarmlord vs something like a deamon prince.

Silent_Moebius
02-11-2010, 11:41
1 thing i dont understand is how a normal hive tyrant with boneswords is 100 times better then the swarmlord vs something like a deamon prince.

I would say thanks to luck. The swarmlord has a invul save and the prince has to reroll his saves. The only point I can see, is with whip and acid blood. Then he could win.

Zinch
02-11-2010, 12:00

:confused:

This is simply not true. Dual boneswords CAN cause ID, but swarmlord ALWAYS causes ID.
Hive Tyrant can have preferred enemy, but swarmlord also (ok, only on his turn, in that respect wins the hive tyrant)
Also, as Silent_Moebius said, swarmlord has an invulnerable save in cc and makes daemon prince reroll its invulnerable save.

Ozeor
02-11-2010, 20:01
I'm talking about the fact that in the rules for the boneswords, it states that no armour saves may be taken against wounds from the boneswords. But in the swarmlords bone sabres entry it doesnt list that, and only lists them as causing instant death and forcing rerolls on invul saves. So a deamon prince has eternal warrior, the swarmlord doesnt even have the power weapon capable of going thru his save.

Ail-Shan
02-11-2010, 20:13
But the swarmlord is a monstrous creature, and hence ignores armor saves anyway. The point for elaborating that boneswords ignore armor is only for warriors, shrikes and tyranid primes.