PDA

View Full Version : Rules queries: Wizards, Lone Characters, Killing blow and Terrain :(

Ahra Returns
01-11-2010, 11:37
Hi there,

I've recently purchased the new edition of warhammer and me and my gaming group are trying to adjust to the rules (we played some 7th Ed but mostly spent the past few years playing 40k).

As can be expected (since I've been playing Warhammer since 3rd ED) - I keep looking for rules that either don't exist or have changed. We spent the weekend playing games solidly, reading and re-reading the rule book but I have these final questions that I could find no answer for.

Please feel free to brutally put me down if I've missed something glaringly obvious... I fear I couldn't see the 'wood for the trees' and may have over looked something.

Here are my questions:

1). Is there a -1 penalty for shooting at lone characters? It seems like there should be (otherwise it's easier to hit one lone Elf than 10 Scouts...) but I couldn't find anything.

2). We've been playing it that Killing Blow DOES NOT affect Warmachine Crew in close combat (or wounds from shooting), as they're not technically infantry (we know Heroic Killing blow works). Is this right?

3). Infantry aren't impeded by wooded terrain anymore, but does Forest Strider allow Wood Elves to ignore the Venom Thicket Dangerous terrain tests? We assume *yes* because Forest Strider allows the unit to ignore dangerous terrain tests in woods. Correct?

4). Can a Wizard cast spells if he and the unit he's with has just rallied? Couldn't find anything about this in the book.

5). Does Hatred affect mounts? It says so in the Dark Elf army book, but it's not mentioned in the Rulebook (that I noticed). Does this also affect monstrous mounts?

Lastly, I'm so glad the Errata/FAQ changed the 'Victory point conditions' - we had a lot of 'draws' over the weekend, glad to see they were narrow victories.

Any replies on my queries would be greatly appreciated, my brain feels fried from re-reading the book.

EDIT: 6). If a character is mounted and has a magic spear with Killing Blow (Wood Elf Spear of Twilight). Does he use the spear in rounds of combat where he doesn't charges (even though it says mounted characters can't use spears in subsequent rounds of combat) OR does the 'Magic Item' take precedence? As in the ''The weapon is his pride and joy and will always use that weapon'' (I can't remember the exact wording - apologies).

Frosty_TK
01-11-2010, 11:48
1) No, that penalty is gone.

2) That is correct. The men are more like life counters.

3) correct as well. Makes forest strider for infantry pretty useless unless in said example.

4) As he is no longer fleeing in the magic phase, yes he may.

5) Psychology no longer automatically spills over to the mount. If the dark elves have there very own version of hate, the mounts will still have hate. Otherwise, they lost that ability.

Ahra Returns
01-11-2010, 11:59
1) No, that penalty is gone.

2) That is correct. The men are more like life counters.

3) correct as well. Makes forest strider for infantry pretty useless unless in said example.

4) As he is no longer fleeing in the magic phase, yes he may.

5) Psychology no longer automatically spills over to the mount. If the dark elves have there very own version of hate, the mounts will still have hate. Otherwise, they lost that ability.

Ahh right, thanks Frosty_TK.

I suppose the 'Lone Character' could be an Ogre Tyrant or something.

5). Ahh right, well, that's quite a relief, takes the edge off a Dreadlord mounted on a Dragon.
EDIT: I just saw in the Dark Elf FAQ that their 'Hatred' entry has been changed - so mounts don't benefit from hatred.

Thanks again for the assistance, good to see we've mostly been playing right.

ooglatjama
01-11-2010, 12:29
DE's version of hatred - "Eternal Hatred" - confers it to mounts in the last line. However, the FAQed it out in the newer Q&As.

T10
01-11-2010, 13:29
Apparently the Dark Elf stable-boys have stopped their routine of dressing up as High Elves and poking the horses/cold ones/manticores with pointy sticks.

-T10

Lord_Elric
01-11-2010, 14:29
im pritty sure he'll only use it on turns he charges in the same way magical lances are used as it states hell always use his magical weapon unless hes otherwise unable too