PDA

View Full Version : psyckers in the imperium

Yresk
01-11-2010, 18:50
RP alot. nothing suprising and even with my mighty IQ and broad experience of alot of things in warhammer. i still run into dead ends, youve read what the commisar would do and the lasgun variants. now im turning my eye towards the black horse. psykers.

during my role playing sessions always at least one takes the part of being a psyker. they can protect the squad, enhance the squad. and being able to see souls or even see in the future for some extent. they are very usefull and being completley off the wall insane makes for great sessions of RP with good character development. i want to add more variants and therefore i ask you. what could a psyker use its powers to defend the imperialsists they desperatly serve. here are my most reocurring chars.(BTW i never got a clean slate of the "power level" of a psyker. where can i find that info?)

Sancioned level psyker. normal humans with psykic powers, these men and women are to valuable to be put out of their misery, come in a whirlwind of different types:
Defender. powers: sheild and telekenisis, weak ability to see the future or get omens of danger, like land mines and the like.
offensive. a psyker who only has one goal, to use his force weapon and devestate the most dangerous enemy(like a hive tyrant) or one that cant be hurt by normal weapons(like daemon possesed targets).
Weapon psykers: Powers: Smite, chainlightning and hellfire. they are weapons in their own right and should be used as such. replacements are always avaliable.

radio psyker. a normal psyker that has astropath training. be is basicly an antenna for the radio, being able to send messeges faster and more securly than using a normal radio.

these are my ideas of how psykers work. What are your ideas?

Lord Damocles
02-11-2010, 16:59
BTW i never got a clean slate of the "power level" of a psyker. where can i find that info?
The latent strength and ability range of a psychic is usually measured on a standarised scale known as The Assignment.

Lexicanum seems to be more or less accurate for once: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/The_Assignment

If you want to go right back to the original source material, a good explanation of The Assignment can be found under 'Psychic Mastery' in The Inquisition: An Illustrated Guide to the Secretive Protectors of the Imperium, pg.67.

Askil the Undecided
03-11-2010, 00:22
A Psyker is a being with the ability to manipulate the warp, for some this might be the ability to telepathically communicate over long distances, or it might be the ability to expel warpflame from their eyes, or it might even be both, but more commonly it's the ability to do precisely nothing useful apart from function as a doorway for deamons.

In short Psykers are unpredictable and random creatures who widely vary in ability and power.

Cry of the Wind
03-11-2010, 01:13
You can download the Inquisitor rulebook for free off the GW website. I suggest you grab that and have a read through. That game shares a lot in common with role playing, it just uses models as the primary focus. It has a lot of interesting background info in there too.

Kage2020
03-11-2010, 02:33
If you're actually after ideas for alternate psykers than the ones presented in Dark Heresy et al., you might actually want to look at other game systems that explore their psykers a bit more than the "grimdark" stuff. I can post some quick examples from "another game system," but just remember that you would have to do some work to make them fit into the 40k universe... :D

Kage

MarcoSkoll
03-11-2010, 14:06
One thing to bear in mind as regards "The Assignment" is that it only refers to the quantity of the power a psyker can actually manifest.
It does not tell you how WELL they can use that power. Some psykers may have lots of power, but little control of it - or vice versa. The really scary ones are of course those with both power and control.

(Some people don't quite get this as an idea. For an analogy, a powerful car doesn't necessarily steer well.)

being completely off the wall insane
Only some of them. Usually, the ones that are off their rocker are the ones who don't have the mental force of will to cope with the degree of power they can manifest.

This means that likelihood of insanity increases with power level, but it's also possible for a psyker to be completely sane. Probably still odd, but not actually off their nut.

Yresk
03-11-2010, 16:59
thanks for the help guys it has really put things in perspective and it will be used well in future RP

Brother korko
03-11-2010, 20:59
APLHA PLUS! :eek: dam can you imagen a single person stand down a reaver class titian and then with a flick of a wrist destroy the machine god with out any second thought. thats the kind of the person you don't want to **** off in a dark alley

SolkaTruesilver
03-11-2010, 21:03
APLHA PLUS! :eek: dam can you imagen a single person stand down a reaver class titian and then with a flick of a wrist destroy the machine god with out any second thought. thats the kind of the person you don't want to **** off in a dark alley

Don't you worry. The dark alley won't stay dark for long.

Nor will it stay an alley.

Nor will you be there after, anyway.