PDA

View Full Version : Wand of Jet

TheDrugLordX
01-11-2010, 20:15
Made a quick search on the forum and the WFB FAQ, but found nothing.

Basicly my question is; can you roll more than the 6 maximum power dice, when casting a spell, when using Wand of Jet?

Thanks.

Vsurma
02-11-2010, 10:52
No as there is no rule exception written into the item.

Things like a slanns rumination specifically say they can go over the 6 dice limit, otherwise they could not.

I see nothing that would allow you to do this.

On a side note, has anyone actually used this item? Does not seem all that great for its cost, a lv4 is sure to have a better arcane item, most armybooks have at least 1 great arcane item.

Archangelion
02-11-2010, 10:58
No, it would take you over the number of power dice allowed.

TheDrugLordX
04-11-2010, 10:36
Thanks!

No as there is no rule exception written into the item.

Things like a slanns rumination specifically say they can go over the 6 dice limit, otherwise they could not.

I see nothing that would allow you to do this.
You need to read the slann FAQ, Slanns may not exceed 6 casting dice with the rumination.

On a side note, has anyone actually used this item? Does not seem all that great for its cost, a lv4 is sure to have a better arcane item, most armybooks have at least 1 great arcane item.
Well for 35 pts the powerscroll is like 43957 times stronger. Wand of Jet would, maybe, be viable if say a tournament had banned/restricted the power scroll a lot and IF this item would allow you to cast with 7 dice.

Archangelion
04-11-2010, 10:44
Or if you play Dark Elves?

theunwantedbeing
04-11-2010, 12:07
The point of it is much like the Sacrificial Dagger for Dark Elves, you get to add a dice after the initial casting roll regardless of whether you succeeded or not rather than like a power scroll or similar where you have to use the thing before knowing what you've rolled.

The Dagger is obviously better, being cheaper and usable more than once but that doesn't mean the Wand is pointless or not worth taking.

I wouldn't be bothering using it with the intent of trying to get 7 dice(if allowed, if not 6 dice is generally excessive anyway) used unless you intentionally wanted a miscast(something that causes them on doubles is in range for example and your mage exploding would make them bleed).

Palatine Katinka
04-11-2010, 17:48
You need to read the slann FAQ, Slanns may not exceed 6 casting dice with the rumination.

Do you mean this bit?

Q. Does the ‘free’ power dice gained from Focused Rumination count against the power limit? (p43)
A. Yes.

If so, you need to read the rulebook ;) "Power limit" is the restristion to having 12 dice in your pool (see p30). It is not the restriction of 6 dice per casting attempt which is later mentioned under "Choose number of power dice" on p32.