PDA

View Full Version : Skaven 2000 pts

ikit_claw
12-03-2006, 12:52
I've decided to take a more back-to-basics approach with my Skaven army, shedding most of the big guns I've relied on for some time. What do you think?

Warlord
-Weeping Blade
-Warpstone Amulet
-Bands of Power
-Heavy Armor
-Shield

Warlock Engineer
-Dispel Scroll
-Dispel Scroll
-Full Technoarcana

Warlock Engineer
-Storm Daemon
-Dispel Scroll
-Full Technoarcana

25 Clanrats
-Full Command
-Ratling Gun

25 Clanrats
-Full Command
-Ratling Gun

25 Clanrats
-Full Command
-Ratling Gun

25 Clanrats
-Full Command
-Ratling Gun

5 Plague Rat Swarms

25 Slaves

26 Slaves

26 Slaves

26 Slaves

5 Poison Wind Globadiers

5 Poison Wind Globadiers

5 Poison Wind Globadiers

Total: 2000 pts

The basic idea is to stop with the flashy guns overload and focus more on close combat and victory through overwhelming numbers, in proud Skaven tradition. I've got a pair of Warlock Engineers to give me a magical edge and act as Scroll caddies, and with a few squads of PWGs to act as a deterrant to heavily-armored foes, I think most of my bases are covered. In particular I plan on having my Warlord mark out one of the regiments of Clanrats to join, so I can use his close combat benefits to their full.

Any suggestions?

Teach
13-03-2006, 07:09
It is a strong, big army but......somehow i find it....dull. Sorry, it is tacticall sound. Maybe some skimishers for flanking or ratogres? But like i said....just to give some colour.

h4rdriv3
13-03-2006, 19:49
Its very SAD army-ish id go with everything teach has said maybe look at gutterrunner tunneling teams for any annoying bolt throwers or wizards in hard to reach areas.

ikit_claw
13-03-2006, 20:19
Hm. Perhaps four units of Clanrats is a tad excessive.

REVISED LIST:

Warlord
-Weeping Blade
-Warpstone Amulet
-Bands of Power
-Heavy Armor
-Shield

Warlock Engineer
-Dispel Scroll
-Dispel Scroll
-Full Technoarcana

Warlock Engineer
-Storm Daemon
-Dispel Scroll
-Full Technoarcana

25 Clanrats
-Full Command
-Ratling Gun

25 Clanrats
-Full Command
-Warpfire Thrower

5 Plague Rat Swarms

25 Slaves

25 Slaves

5 Poison Wind Globadiers

5 Poison Wind Globadiers

6 Gutter Runners
-Poisoned Hand Weapons
-Poisoned Throwing Stars
-Tunnel Team

7 Gutter Runners
-Poisoned Hand Weapons
-Poisoned Throwing Stars
-Tunnel Team

3 Rat Ogres

3 Rat Ogres

Total: 1997 pts

That one's a bit more tactically diverse, though I gave up sheer numbers to make it so.

fubukii
14-03-2006, 03:38
i like the second list looks solid. Honestly the warp fire thrower is amazing i used one the other day as a joke and it ended up killing massive amounts of stuff. Its a fun weapon it also mis fired scatted 2d6 and blew up on my slaves, that was cool :)

Imma_De_Freakin_Pope
14-03-2006, 05:13
your second list is a much better list, i thihk a lot of people would not want to play that kind of army. Me, on the other hand? I would love to facve it with my 250 model O&G army

Finnblood
14-03-2006, 05:30
Those gutter runners are costly. And easy to destroy. That's why you pr'ply shouldn't burden 'em with all that stuff. They do their job fair enough mundane or with only poison hand weapons -upgrade.

Make them scouts if you want to give 'em an arsenal of weapons.

And fire-throwers are fun - I love 'em!

How about moving one rat ogre to the other unit, so you'd have one 2 ogre unit and one 4 ogres unit. The other one suits for flanking and is more agile, and the other one serves as an ironfist.

Teach
14-03-2006, 09:39
Yep, this looks fun! But i agree with finnblood. The gutters are too expensive. Trim their weapons and get some nightrunners for easy flanking.

patataman
14-03-2006, 11:23
prove to use the skavenbrew on the rat ogre whit frenzy they kill almost everiting xD

Krootman
14-03-2006, 13:24
It could just be because I am new, but I kind of like the first list a little better. Mabye you should drop your tunneling teams and add a warplighting cannon to the 2nd list

Biel496
14-03-2006, 16:50
kroot id stick to the 40k comments dont send people spiraling down with you in fantasy ^.^. I suggest win a game against a competent person before you try again this way you dont single handedly ruin the fantasy gaming community :)

fubukii
14-03-2006, 16:54
Nah the warped lightning cannon is nice and all but very risky, If anything i would take off the stars, and lower the runners down to 5 man units.

And kroot just sit back and follow the yellow brick road your still a bit too green to comment :)

h4rdriv3
14-03-2006, 17:00
Yeah lower the Gutter runners down and split them up as they make nice wizard/warmachine killers in small units.

fubukii
14-03-2006, 17:27
yea i like 4-5 man units personally for the gutter runners, that way if you fight some tough crew (dam dwarves :() you can still have a shot of winning

ikit_claw
14-03-2006, 19:51
I deliberately didn't choose large amounts of guns because that was my last army's approach. A bunch of guns, a Grey Seer, and a cadre of Warlock Engineers, with just enough troops to act as meatshields between the enemy and their weapons/spells. It worked well, but it got boring, you know? I kept around the Warpfire Thrower because during my time as a trigger-happy player I developed a certain fondness for what it could do (especially to Elves).

As for the Gutter Runners...I specifically came up with that because in a little while I'm going to be facing a rather tough HE opponent. His mobility is a great asset, and if I have two squads of Gutter Runners pop up in inopportune places, it rather limits his movement as he can't march when they're too close. On top of that, the lighter armor means that poison will do wonders for these guys. But I think they could find use against other opponents, too (my main opponents are Blood Dragon VC, Chaos Undivided, High Elves, Lizardmen, Dark Elves, and Orcs). Still, the idea's pretty valid. I figured thirteen(!) Gutter Runners showing up behind enemy lines and messing with movement as well as throwing poisoned shuriken every direction would be useful, but I see the point you're making. I'll trim back on them a little bit, and probably just use the points from the other GRs to invest in some other troops.

I do like the Rat Ogre suggestion, though.

Any other ideas before I remake the list again?

Krootman
14-03-2006, 20:54
im going to kick ur ass 496 ;) you have only played like 10 fant games

Finnblood
15-03-2006, 08:11
If you want boosted up Gutters, then make them scouts and take an Assassin with 'em. 6-7 x2 poisoned attacks + Assassins attacks are a dire thing to happen to any unit and no crew nor wizard has chances against such monstrosity. I once killed 2 bolt-throwers, 2 seers, unit of archers, unit of shelms and an arcmage with a similar unit when palying against a seer council (you should have seen the HE-players face!).

Also a thing like that in any rear or flank makes many weep.

And also, they wont mishap, and they're available from turn 1.