PDA

View Full Version : Thanquol and Boneripper

Khorneguy
02-11-2010, 18:16
As a character, can Thanquol join with Boneripper to make a unit that just contains those two models?

It seems weird to have a bodyguard who can't be in the same unit as his master

stripsteak
02-11-2010, 19:23
no. bone ripper is unbreakable, thanquol is not

RealMikeBob
02-11-2010, 19:30
A related question. Is Boneripper a character?

H33D
02-11-2010, 22:37
Yes. They are each special characters. Boneripper must remain within 12" of his master. As unbreakable characters can only join unbreakable units, it seems Boneripper must remain by himself as no Skaven units are unbreakable I don't think...

RealMikeBob
02-11-2010, 23:32
I see. It was not Boneripper joining units that I was thinking of but more the fact he has Ld 10, higher than every other Skaven character. Clearly GW don't intend you to have him as your general but by RAW don't you have to pick the model with the highest Ld? I really hope I'm overlooking a crucial point here.

The character issue also came up midgame for the sword of anti heroes.

Khorneguy
03-11-2010, 00:44
My god! I didn't realise that he could do that! That would be so funny if he was. The real brains behind the whole outfit ;)

H33D
03-11-2010, 08:54
Hmm... there almost seems to be a loophole here. Does Boneripper have to be the General? The BRB says that the character with the highest LD must be the General... Is he a character independent of Thanquol? Neither book (Skaven or BRB) state that they aren't separate from each other, they are modeled on separate bases with separate rules, and the only thing is they constitute 1 Lord choice.

Can anyone prove this not to be so?

...Please?

Little Joe
03-11-2010, 14:07
I think I can. Boneripper is not a character but a piece of equipment. The stats for Thanquol are above the what does it do text on page 77 and Boneripper is listed under the equipment of Thanquol.

I know you could argue this point, but the only two double team characters I can think of in a hurry are Gotrek and Felix or Naestra and Arahan and they shared a profile tab. But on the other hand you could argue they shared at least some special rules. So...

Palatine Katinka
03-11-2010, 18:08
I don't think Boneripper counts as a character. He's just a single model unit.

SilasOfTheLambs
03-11-2010, 19:03
The FAQ used to have one specifically pointing out that boneripper can't be the general. Apparently it's gone now. Foolishness.

KronusDaSneaky
04-11-2010, 00:13
By RAW I think he would be the General. By RAI and just plain sportsmanship he should be discounted, anyone who insists on it is probably not worth playing against

The only time this might be an issue is if you playing in a tourney, where your opponent is aware of the issue and gets arsey. I can not honestly see anyone trying to imply what is little more then a meat shield for a drug adict is the armies general in a normal setting. Fortunately since Thanquol isnt competitive and doesnt get taken to tourneys this is a problem that should ever crop up.

stainawarjar
04-11-2010, 00:26
Yes. They are each special characters. Boneripper must remain within 12" of his master. As unbreakable characters can only join unbreakable units, it seems Boneripper must remain by himself as no Skaven units are unbreakable I don't think...

Would he be allowed to join a unit with a screaming bell in it? aren't they unbreakable? and what would happen then if the bell was destroyed, would he be pushed out of the unit? :p

H33D
04-11-2010, 09:19
I think I can. Boneripper is not a character but a piece of equipment. The stats for Thanquol are above the what does it do text on page 77 and Boneripper is listed under the equipment of Thanquol.

I know you could argue this point, but the only two double team characters I can think of in a hurry are Gotrek and Felix or Naestra and Arahan and they shared a profile tab. But on the other hand you could argue they shared at least some special rules. So...

On a side note, Boneripper is not listed under Thanquol's equipment. Instead, they each have their own special rules section including magic items and such.

RAW I believe he would have to be the General. RAI, I highly doubt it.

Little Joe
04-11-2010, 10:03
The FAQ used to have one specifically pointing out that boneripper can't be the general. Apparently it's gone now. Foolishness.

I remember that one. So I agree with above poster. He is your general. And pretty easy to take out so I wouldn't take him and that way better grey seer of his if you want to play it RAW.

shadow hunter
08-11-2010, 15:36
Make him your general, and put him in a plague furnace unit. Purfek.

H33D
09-11-2010, 03:00
Yeah in the FAQ they added 'unbreakble' to the furnace and bell entries so Boneripper can join either.

Skyth
09-11-2010, 16:06

Nope. Only thing that was in the FAQ about Boneripper is that he doesn't count as any VP's.

This has been an age-old argument since the Skaven book came out between the 'I don't want to play that way' and the 'It's what the rules say' crowds.