PDA

View Full Version : Is it viable to play a full footslogging Dark Eldar Army?

3Xhume
03-11-2010, 01:23
I have just skimmed through the dark eldar codex. It was a well done codex IMO. I also find that most players brings the raider or ravager for transport and heavy support. I dont have any experience with dark eldar, but just wondering if anyone has tried a footslogging dark eldar army? You could have a good horde of dark eldar units.

As for the anti-tank, footslogging DE could rely on warrior's Dark lance, Reaver's heat lance and cluster caltrops. Most of their units also have fleet, so getting into CC should not be a problem. Unless you are playing capture and control and your opponent put their objective at far table edge, I can see that footslogging DE viable. Each unit has a quite good maximum number of bodies too.

Okay, I admit now. I want to play DE, but raiders are not cheap. two or three is okay, but needing 5-6 is just >_< So Im thinking a different approach. Because I dont really like raiders model anyway and I see that raiders are also flying kites that can fall down by bolter fires. What do you think?

Baneboss
03-11-2010, 02:24
I play a footslogging IG army so it certainly can be done but dont expect to win tourneys with it in this edition. If you play against a powerhouse with lots of transports and with a good general commanding it you will propably lose... but try it. I do have a good time using my force.

Kellindel
03-11-2010, 02:27
I have just skimmed through the dark eldar codex. It was a well done codex IMO. I also find that most players brings the raider or ravager for transport and heavy support. I dont have any experience with dark eldar, but just wondering if anyone has tried a footslogging dark eldar army? You could have a good horde of dark eldar units.

As for the anti-tank, footslogging DE could rely on warrior's Dark lance, Reaver's heat lance and cluster caltrops. Most of their units also have fleet, so getting into CC should not be a problem. Unless you are playing capture and control and your opponent put their objective at far table edge, I can see that footslogging DE viable. Each unit has a quite good maximum number of bodies too.

Okay, I admit now. I want to play DE, but raiders are not cheap. two or three is okay, but needing 5-6 is just >_< So Im thinking a different approach. Because I dont really like raiders model anyway and I see that raiders are also flying kites that can fall down by bolter fires. What do you think?

To be honest you could most likely get the old Raiders off E-bay for next to nothing about now. :)

Raiders are an important part of a majority DE tactics. Mobility was the key back then and I don't really see how it has changed with the new Codex. I've read through it several times at the local store and there are hints in each unit that "Speed is key".

Hellions with their hit and run.
Reavers with the runby attacks.

And last but not least the webway portal will allow for the same Flank Threats that the old dex had before.

Kiras of the flame
03-11-2010, 03:11
it's very viable if you give your Archon a Portable Webway... since only the ones on foot can have it's benefits... (looks cool when summoning a Talos because I think walkers can also get in on the action) get some Harlequins to dance around and you'll be able to get more firepower in range faster (since we're not deepstriking) you'll just need the archon on a raider so he can get into range fast and can lay down the portal in the next turn. then watch your friend turn pale as his space marine force is ripped apart before his very eyes

DeviantApostle
03-11-2010, 03:26
They were certainly viable in the old codex and they remain so now. Raiders are considered sub-par by many because of their fragility and high point value. Just sit back with your Dark Lances and let fly, if infantry manage to get close you have poisoned rifles on BS4 troops and Harlequins that can't be shot at easily.

Chem-Dog
03-11-2010, 05:29
I play a footslogging IG army so it certainly can be done but dont expect to win tourneys with it in this edition. If you play against a powerhouse with lots of transports and with a good general commanding it you will propably lose... but try it. I do have a good time using my force.

Not sure you can compare IG to DE with a footslogging list, Deldar are fleet giving you a significant perk when shuffling them around on the board.
Also, and I may be overstating this a little, but an army that has an anti tank weapon available to squad leaders (aside from any other weapon options) is always going to do quite well against tank heavy lists, by simple virtue of the fact there'll be a lot less tanks than there will be guns that can happily deal with them.

Then there's the Warpgate thingumy jigger.

Hendarion
03-11-2010, 08:14
I doubt that DE on feet will work well. They are too much close-combat oriented and fragile to keep them too long in fire-fights. Possible barrage weapons will make it even harder for them.

Raibaru
03-11-2010, 14:25
I agree with the above. The army is too close combat oriented. Better with a Haemonculi army than a Warrior/Wyche one. But even they will be torn up before closing in with the weapons they can field.

Why not do what you had planned and go with 2 or 3 raiders and play a Hellion list. I forget if it's the duke or baron that allows them as troops, but one does.

Kiras of the flame
03-11-2010, 15:58
I wouldn't say that they focus too much on close combat oriented... like the Orkz there are ways to make the list shooty and still come out on top