PDA

View Full Version : My first tournament with Empire - 2500 points. Halp!

stainawarjar
03-11-2010, 11:28
So I'm finally taking my Empire army to a tournament, and i want a somewhat competitive list. I'm more of a casual gamer and it's hard for me to take out fun elements that aren't very good like a general on griffon ;) anyways, on to the list:

Arch Lector 223 Lord
Mace of Helstrum, Armour of Fortune, shield

Wizard Lord (Life) 285 Lord
Rod of Power, Holy Relic, lvl 4

Captain 125 Hero
Battle Standard, Dawnstone, Armour of Meteoric Iron

Warrior Priest 127 Hero
Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Van Horstmann's Speculum

Warrior Priest 118 Hero
Heavy Armour, two hammers, Potion of Foolhardiness
Opal Amulet

35 halberdiers 195 Core
full command

10 crossbowmen (detachment) 80 -

5 Swordsmen (detachment) 30 -

35 spearmen 236 Core
full command, shields

10 crossbowmen (detachment) 80 -

5 Swordsmen (detachment) 30 -

10 Handgunners 100 Core
Marksman: repeater handgun

10 Handgunners 100 Core
Marksman: repeater handgun

20 Greatswords 230 Special
full command

6 Swordsmen (detachment) 36 -

10 handgunners (detachment) 80 -

Great Cannon 100 Special

Great Cannon 100 Special

Mortar 75 Special

Mortar 75 Special

Mortar 75 Special

Total 2500 points

Basically I'm going to hang around and act like a gunline, and hopefully crush the depleted enemy units with my infantry blocks once they reach my lines :rolleyes:

If I actually meet a gunline, or any army that out-shoots me I'll have to advance my infantry blocks into them while raining down artillery fire.

Help? Input? Criticism? Cake?

Torpedo Vegas
03-11-2010, 17:06
Right. Those five man detachments are wastes of points. They will not kill anything, will lose combat in the first round, and die. They cannot hold an enemy, they cannot kill an enemy, and 5 swordsmen won't deter anyone. They are free VP's for your opponent. If you INSIST on 5 man detachments, go with Free Company. They get 10 Attacks, so at least you may kill something.

Drop the Spearmen, and maybe the Hallberdiers. If you are going to run a gunline, then you need defensive troops, namely Swordsmen, who are a bit tougher. You may want to consider a large 10x4 block of Free Company. Each model gets two attacks, so you will be getting 40 attacks in if they are fielded at a full horde, and can lose ten of them will still getting those 40 attacks.

I'm guessing the Warrior Priests are goining into the troop blocks. If so, drop the unit champions.

With that many mortars, a Master Engineer is a very good idea, even a naked one.

Fox Of 9
03-11-2010, 18:00
Torpedo Vegas is right about those 5 man detachments they cant even get a flank bonus am i right the shooting detachments aren't really wogh the points ethier. remove them a turn your parent blocks into 35+ swordsmen with 1 10 strong militia detachment. unit champs are fine stops your warrior priest's getting eaten by a chaos greater deamon or something. greatsword arnt effective untill they have a unit strength of 30-35. drop its detachments and buff it to round 30. again Torpedo Vegas is right about the engineer that will help keep your gunline running. lastly i'd get a 45pt odd magic hitting stick and give your arch lector the crimson amulate no more dying to characteristics test spells like dwellers and a 6++ but mainly no more dwellers death. anyway thats it for now. . . David

Sigmar's Benediction
03-11-2010, 18:11
Hi

I have been playing Empire for some years now, I go to tournements with fluff army's. Because it is more fun, really it is. Go with what you like to play with. It is more fun that way. Oke that sad...

Take Sword man or helberdiers man (remember the command group of sword man is is more points that the helberdiers, so i would go for heberdiers... horde)
take 40 or 30 detachments of 15/20 are worth taking anything below that is a waste of points. Take halbardiers as detachment.

Greatswords are nice but will attract all of the enemy's missle fire. So lose them or take more. (general of the empire naked gives the unit a magic banner. I do this often)

you have nothing that can move around. maybe a Pegasus captain, or some outriders.

And a master engineer is a very good idea!

Sigmar's Benediction

Fox Of 9
03-11-2010, 18:15
@Sigmar's Benediction general with ICI full plate bronze shield and sword of justice 137pts cheap general but can hit bach quite well + Give ward V warmachines. :D

SilasOfTheLambs
03-11-2010, 18:21
Don't act like a gunline with no helblasters. Helblasters are the best answer in the empire list for elite infantry (chaos warriors, saurus warriors/temple guard, etc.) that state troops have trouble wounding. Take two of them and a master engineer to stand between them and watch for misfires, and you'll be satisfied with the results.

The mace of helsturm is overcosted. I recommend leaving it at home. Just take a great weapon on the pope.

Also strongly recommend a war altar rather than just a regular pope. He doesn't die.

I agree with everybody else on the tiny little detachments.

Best of luck!

Sigmar's Benediction
03-11-2010, 18:23
I have really tried putting magic items of him... but i have 3 lord in 2500 pionts...

Gidion
03-11-2010, 19:05
Right. Those five man detachments are wastes of points. They will not kill anything, will lose combat in the first round, and die. They cannot hold an enemy, they cannot kill an enemy, and 5 swordsmen won't deter anyone. They are free VP's for your opponent. If you INSIST on 5 man detachments, go with Free Company. They get 10 Attacks, so at least you may kill something.

I might be wrong but i do not thing small detachemnts are that useless. First you get +2 CR for the counter/supporting charge and flanking. Also if you deploy them only 3 wide you could get 5 additional attacks for only 1 or 2 extra enemy attacks in return, potentially increasing your CR even further. Also sure they might die easily but if your enemy focuses on them they are ignoring something else and at the end they are only worth 30p.

Torpedo Vegas
03-11-2010, 21:55
I might be wrong but i do not thing small detachemnts are that useless. First you get +2 CR for the counter/supporting charge and flanking. Also if you deploy them only 3 wide you could get 5 additional attacks for only 1 or 2 extra enemy attacks in return, potentially increasing your CR even further. Also sure they might die easily but if your enemy focuses on them they are ignoring something else and at the end they are only worth 30p.
Which is why I said that if you are going to field them small, do it with Free Company so you get lots of attacks even with small frontage, and they are cheap.

Sigmar's Benediction
03-11-2010, 21:58
You can try to make that gamble. But they dont give the charge bonus and flank if they get killed that turn. If your unit is 15/20 you have ranks so you cancel there rank bonus.

Gidion
03-11-2010, 22:22
You can try to make that gamble. But they dont give the charge bonus and flank if they get killed that turn. If your unit is 15/20 you have ranks so you cancel there rank bonus.

True but depending on circumstances i would say there are situations where 3 small detachments of 6 or so are better then one of 15/20. Also i think its hard for the enemy to take out 6 swordsmen in the first round of combat seeing as they can at most allocate attacks from 4 models.

Also @ topedo vegas

Sure you get more attacks with militias but i would rather take swordsmen in 3x2 or spearmen with shields in 2x3 for the added survivability. With spearmen only 2 wide you will not allow anymore attacks from enemies on 25mm bases and only 1 extra if they have 20mm bases. Granted this is only true if the enemy models only have 1 attack each.

Torpedo Vegas
03-11-2010, 23:39
That actually gives me an idea. Has anybody tried running an army of several 20 man units?