PDA

View Full Version : Trying my Hand at Skaven

Gratan
03-11-2010, 19:37
With the new Island of Blood and all the nifty Skaven models I will have on hand I am planning to make a Skaven army. This is a very basic list without magic items, I just want to know if these unit compositions are going to be worth it. This is relatively on the cheap, using the Skaven from 2 IoB sets with the addition of 3 more kits. What do you think?

Lords

Grey Seer 440
-Screaming Bell

Heroes

Chieftain 49
-Halberd
-Shield

Chieftain 74
-BSB
-Shield

Warlock Engineer 108
-L2 Wizard
-Warplock Pistol

Warlock Engineer 108
-L2 Wizard
-Warplock Pistol

Core

20 Stormvermin 255
-Shields
-Full Command
-Warpfire Thrower

20 Clanrats 175
-Shields
-Full Command
-Poisoned Wind Mortar

20 Clanrats 175
-Shields
-Full Command
-Poisoned Wind Mortar

40 Clanrats 290
-Spears
-Shields
-Full Command
-Warpfire Thrower

Special

4 Rat Ogres 176
-2 Packmasters

Rare

Doomwheel 150

Lords 440
Heroes 339
Core 895
Special 176
Rare 150

Total: 2000pts

Gratan
04-11-2010, 17:32
that bad? huh?

TheDrugLordX
04-11-2010, 19:01
No, people are just generally too lazy to comment. I try too, but often also find myself too lazy at times :D

As for the list, it looks like a very good start, it has several areas for improvement though. Therefore my suggestions will probably mean that you have to buy more stuff:

1) Grey Seer is you most powerful caster and thus you will want to channel most dice through him. Uppgrading your warlock engineers to wizards is therefore not quite worth it as long as he's present.

2) All your units are too small! (spare the 40 man strong one) Skaven win through numbers, so you would need another box of stormvermin and to cram those two smaller clanrat units into one (although this means you "loose" a weapon team...).

3) Evolving point 2, slaves are extremely cheap road-blocks and always worth running atleast 2 units. This will mean getting a lot of extra boxes of clanrats though...

4) Evolving part 2 again, you "save" one of the weapon teams if you get a small unit of Poison Wind Globadiers (fairly cheap I guess, and a decent unit).

5) GW will soon (January) release a Hellpit Abomination model which I guess will be roughly the same price as a Doom Wheel, while contributing more points to your army. He's a real beast and worth spending the rest of your points on (from the things you dropped) would you follow my suggestions.

Oh, I just notice that you have no magic items :wtf: so If you drop the wizard levels on the engineers you get lots of points to spend on nasty magic items! (I recommend Power Scroll, Storm Banners, Doom Rocket, Brass Orb, Skalm and Banner of Eternal Flame for stormvermin)

Gratan
05-11-2010, 18:48
Thanks for the reply and the advice.

I was avoiding slaves because there isnt a plastic kit yet... I wont buy metal...

spiderman5z
06-11-2010, 08:21
Thanks for the reply and the advice.

I was avoiding slaves because there isnt a plastic kit yet... I wont buy metal...

Well for slaves I'm just using night gobbos from the skull pass kit... you can basically use anything for slaves, they are slaves after all

b0ksah
06-11-2010, 23:23
I personal use Skinks, Goblins, Dwarves and Elves as my slaves :)

Well on the list ... hmmm depends on what you have in mind ... what the plan with the list?

Lot of magic, lot of shooting .. close combat ... or some of all ... how would counter others ... again .. shooting, magic and close combat and so on ... ;)

Well my comments on your list are as follows:

To many wizards ... you only have max 12 dices to play around with ... 3 wizards can work ... but you want to use the dice with your Grey Seer ... and then maybe fire a warp lightning with a Engineer
but only one .. rest the grey seer like to use. You could even make the engineer lvl 1 because you in fact only need him for WL ..

Give the engineer the doom rocket and a condenser or a dispel scroll ... and he's fine.

I would also give the Grey Seer some Magic items like for instance: Power Scroll (if you are beardy), Shadow Magnet Trinket (just to make a bit harder to hit him and his unit), Skalm(he'll get hurt, be himself or the enemy. So, healing all wounds are nice), Rival Hide Talisman (If you have fear for character killers) ... if he's not on a bell ... he need the 4+ ward save talisman ... well play around with it ;)

Your BSB should have a ward save ... he must not die ... re-rolls are very very very nice in a skaven army :P

... donno what else I would fix in ... maybe some jazzailz and a warp cannon instead of the Doomwheel ... but more a personal choice.

Well that's enough ramblings from me ... test your army .. see what works and what doesn't

Von Breitholz
12-11-2010, 06:58
Seems quite nice this list, though Im not that fond of Ratogryns. I would go for one more doomwheel. But if your not that fond of dual choices you could keep the list as it is.