PDA

View Full Version : Space assult on Commorragh

Stonerhino
03-11-2010, 22:41
The Story of Vect's rise to power got me thinking. If the events "Nightbringer" had played out a little different. Could we have seen the end of Commorragh as we know it.

Nightbringer recap:
A dark eldar Archon desides to get back at another Archon. He does not have the strength to take him on. So he begins to plot, then learns from a slave that the Nightbringer's flagship "Harbringer of Darkness" is trapped in the warp and can be recovered. The Archon goes after the ship with this slave. Most likely to re-enact Vect's plot to take power. Only using a Necron ship instead of a Chapter of space marines.

The slave betrays the Archon and releases the Nightbringer instead. Had the Harbringer of Darkness been recovered and used in an attack against Commorragh. Would the dark city be able to stop it?

Even just a normal Necron Cairn class Tombship's AOE weapons are insanely powerfull. Let alone one with a Sepulchre. And that is assuming that the Nightbringer's flagship is not extra killy. Turning those weapon on unarmored buildings would be devastating.

insectum7
04-11-2010, 00:36
To my understanding, Commorragh doesn't exist in a single, physical place, but is connected through thousands of webgates. I'm not sure it's even reachable without using warpgates in the first place. I'm not sure how Necron tech deals with the warp.

SgtTaters
04-11-2010, 00:56
the space marine battle barge was brought in because they believed it to be crippled and the contents mostly dead.

I think if an Archon tried to drag in a Necron vessel, a really massive one, Necrons being a race that the Ancient Eldar (the ancestors of even the Dark Eldar) nearly died in fighting, into the middle of Commoragh they would probably kill him before he got through a warp gate.

insectum7
04-11-2010, 01:56
The occupants of the marine ship were known to be alive, since the DE wanted them for torture victims.

Afterward, a multi chapter marine fleet made it through the warpgate because someone "forgot" to deactivate it.

Just goes to show that a DE might try nearly anything. . . so an attempt to bring a Necron ship through as an act of ginormous sabotage isn't really out of the question for the DE. I just don't know if a C'tan could even go through a warpgate.

Cry of the Wind
05-11-2010, 02:30
If anything that could be a clever trick to remove a threat to the Eldar race. I see a Harlequin being the more likely architect of such a scheme though and not a Dark Eldar Archon, they would likely be more scared of Necrons than other races as they should have access to their own cultural histroy with that race much like the Eldar do. Of course this is just a theory, those who know more about Eldar and Dark Eldar would be better able to speculate on that idea.

Ramius4
05-11-2010, 04:02
What's this talk about 'warp gates'? Eldar don't use warp gates.

The entire purpose of the webway is to bypass the need to travel through warp at all.

MagosHereticus
05-11-2010, 04:44
What's this talk about 'warp gates'? Eldar don't use warp gates.

The entire purpose of the webway is to bypass the need to travel through warp at all.

old name for webway portal

AlphariusOmegon20
06-11-2010, 17:14
To my understanding, Commorragh doesn't exist in a single, physical place, but is connected through thousands of webgates. I'm not sure it's even reachable without using warpgates in the first place. I'm not sure how Necron tech deals with the warp.

That's how the Salamanders in the book Firedrake had to do it. You apparently still need a warp gate.

El_Machinae
06-11-2010, 19:50
If the city IS multidimensional, then any effective assault will have to be super-rapid. That would prevent the gateways from being 'shut down'.

Stonerhino
06-11-2010, 20:11
There is the original Commorragh which is not multidimensional. It's the other parts that exist else where in the webway and connected to the Original Commorragh that make it multidimensional. So an attack on the main part of the city can literialy kill billions of eldar if successful. Possibly even put them in the same situation as their craftworld cusins.

Polaria
06-11-2010, 21:31
There is the original Commorragh which is not multidimensional. It's the other parts that exist else where in the webway and connected to the Original Commorragh that make it multidimensional. So an attack on the main part of the city can literialy kill billions of eldar if successful. Possibly even put them in the same situation as their craftworld cusins.

Haven't read the new codex, but what I got from watching the Dark Eldar videos I think the devs just said there is no single Commorragh (original or otherwise) it is all just huge web of smaller estates interconnected by portals and gates.

SgtTaters
06-11-2010, 22:26
wCommoragh is capable of sustaining massive damage, inflicted by other DE towards each other

Vect sucked a section of one into a black hole
another section got closed off after an overly ambitious archon was summoning daemons

another section that was rival to Vect in power, Shaa-dom, had a burning imperial battleship dropped on top of it, a warp rift opening and daemons pouring out.

A waaagh somehow got inside, except every archon simultaneously thought "I can use this to my advantage to hurt my rivals!" and they let the damage spiral way higher than expected. It ended with the orks getting rounded up for one big gladitorial spectacle that almost lasted a whole night.

All of this damage was sustainable infighting amongst the DE as a whole.

Stonerhino
06-11-2010, 23:50
Commorragh, was originaly the greatest of the webway port cities,.....It spread outward into the void, consuming other webway port cities, pirate estates and subrealms.~Page 8 Codex DESo there is a central Commorragh but there is also a large number of smaller cities connected through the webway. So that even if they are half way across the galaxy, they are only a few steps through a portal. This gives Commorragh it's inconceivable size.

Promethius
07-11-2010, 00:39
I did wonder what would have happened if the SM ships had done an exterminatus job before they left; presumably there must be a limit to the amount of damage commoragh can sustain.

I don't know if the necrons could function within the webway though - the warp is supposedly anaethma to the c'tan, whether it affects their followers I'm not sure. The webway is a lot closer to the warp so maybe they can't function there at all. I would say that if commoragh can deal with fleets of sm warships then a single tombship, no matter how vast, would not be an insurmountable obstacle.

Stonerhino
07-11-2010, 01:36
Anaethma = A hated or cursed item. So it's does not effect their functionality. Maybe it does though because of something different.

It's funny though because my first thought was why didn't the SMs porform an Exterminatus on their way out. But desided that they might not have been able to because of damage to the battlebarge or just would not have been at a safe distance to do it.

The Orange
07-11-2010, 20:46
The warp may be anthem to the C'Tan but I've always though that the webway was like a save haven in the Warp. So it may infact provide safety to the C'tan as it does to the Eldar.

TrojanWolf
09-11-2010, 10:24
It's funny though because my first thought was why didn't the SMs porform an Exterminatus on their way out. But desided that they might not have been able to because of damage to the battlebarge or just would not have been at a safe distance to do it.

The marines weren't exactly getting it their way. They probably thought "we've got our prize, let's get out of here before it's too late." Wouldn't it take a decent amount of time to set up exterminatus?

Iracundus
09-11-2010, 10:31
The marines weren't exactly getting it their way. They probably thought "we've got our prize, let's get out of here before it's too late." Wouldn't it take a decent amount of time to set up exterminatus?

Probably, considering it isn't exacted as a regular procedure. Not every ship may carry Exterminatus weapons, and the named strike cruiser and battle barge had earlier had their weapon systems knocked offline. They may have been unable to bring them back online in time, and been more concerned with making good their escape.

eldargal
09-11-2010, 10:35
They have to be able to get into it, though. Given that even one of the greatest experts on the Warp and Eldar (Ahriman) has trouble getting into the Webway, what chance do a species who can barely conceive of its existence? Heck it took the greatest mind humanity ever produced, and vast resources, to attempt to create a Webway portal on earth.

Plus, once they get in,the Harlequins could probably just seal the tunnel they are in off before they get anywhere.

The warp may be anthem to the C'Tan but I've always though that the webway was like a save haven in the Warp. So it may infact provide safety to the C'tan as it does to the Eldar.

Lord Damocles
09-11-2010, 10:38
They have to be able to get into it, though. Given that even one of the greatest experts on the Warp and Eldar (Ahriman) has trouble getting into the Webway, what chance do a species who can barely conceive of its existence? Heck it took the greatest mind humanity ever produced, and vast resources, to attempt to create a Webway portal on earth.

Plus, once they get in,the Harlequins could probably just seal the tunnel they are in off before they get anywhere.
Surely if Kesharq had got hold of the Bringer of Darkness (and been able to control it...) as per the OP, opening a webway portal wouldn't have been particularly difficult for him?

Finding a large enough portal might have been a little tricky though.

Silent_Moebius
09-11-2010, 11:53
It would be interesting to see what happened, when the DE however get some Lictors or gene-stealers and take them all over commorragh. Will the hive fleet find them? Will they units get out of control and reproduce? What about the Shadow in the warp? Will it destabilize some parts of the web-way?

The other question is, will the DE have fun with the Tyranids? Screaming for pain, I don't know. Will it work on Nids?

eldargal
09-11-2010, 11:59
They have already done more than that, one piece of fluff in the codex mentions the Dark Eldar deliberately drawing the 'nids to a Hive World, then capturing many of the larger critters and taking them back to fight in the arena. I also consider this (more) tacit acknowledgement that the Webway is not affected by the Shadow in the Warp.

Iracundus
09-11-2010, 12:07
They have already done more than that, one piece of fluff in the codex mentions the Dark Eldar deliberately drawing the 'nids to a Hive World, then capturing many of the larger critters and taking them back to fight in the arena. I also consider this (more) tacit acknowledgement that the Webway is not affected by the Shadow in the Warp.

It isn't said whether they had difficulty returning. Even in Iyanden's case with the Tyranids the Webway never entirely shut down. Nor does it exclude the possibility of them moving to ships that then retreated. Dark Eldar spaceships exist and not all Dark Eldar are exclusively limited to the warp tunnels of the Webway as individuals. Dark Eldar ships can also move in and out of the Webway. In that short segment there is no mention of their mode of transport, their initial route, their return route, nor their ease or difficulty. We have precedent for Dark Eldar raiding from ships as we have a description of a Dark Eldar ship exiting the Webway in orbit, ready for planetfall to raid, rather than simply exiting directly from Webway to planet (p 23, Dark Eldar Codex). There isn't enough in that segment about the Wych Cult to conclude much other than they seeded a planet and captured Tyranid creatures in something called "hexcages" and retreated back into the Webway. The difficulty or ease is never said.

The Dark Eldar Codex also shows incidents of the Warp itself breaching the tunnels of the Webway, supporting the paradigm of the Webway being tunnels touching directly upon the Warp.

El_Machinae
12-11-2010, 16:54
One thing that is neat is that the Orks haven't seem to infect the city sufficiently to cause problems. With human planets, it seems impossible to disinfect the planet post-invasion, and then the orks continually cause problems from that point onward, in an increasingly-expensive way.

Drasanil
12-11-2010, 18:19
One thing that is neat is that the Orks haven't seem to infect the city sufficiently to cause problems. With human planets, it seems impossible to disinfect the planet post-invasion, and then the orks continually cause problems from that point onward, in an increasingly-expensive way.

It's proably due to the fact that there is little to no viable soil for Orks spores to fertalise. I imagine what little, if any, artifical pastures or farmlands the DE bothered make in Commoragh is used by slaves to feed themselves and/or grow exotic toxins, meaning spores would probably be harvested long before they have a chance to become something.

eldargal
12-11-2010, 23:52
Also the Dark Eldar used a nasty little virus against an entire Ork planet which infected their spores and weakened the entire planetary Ork population. I would imagine it would be a simple matter to release this super anti fungal cream into the atmosphre of Commoragh and cleanse the place if need be.

MagosHereticus
13-11-2010, 06:57
It would be interesting to see what happened, when the DE however get some Lictors or gene-stealers and take them all over commorragh. Will the hive fleet find them? Will they units get out of control and reproduce? What about the Shadow in the warp? Will it destabilize some parts of the web-way?

The other question is, will the DE have fun with the Tyranids? Screaming for pain, I don't know. Will it work on Nids?

isnt their new fluff that suggests the tyranids are learning to subsume the minds of their prey as well as their bodies? id imagine after eating enough seer brains the nids might learn to use the webway, recognise its entrances and rapidly spread from one corner of the galaxy to the other