PDA

View Full Version : Question on goblin Hewer

SimRobert2001
04-11-2010, 02:01
Allright, so i saw the goblin hewer on Games Workshop's main site. FOr those who haven't, here it is:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1130304

My question is, what is it? i knwo what it says on the site, but is there more information about it, and where is it?

I've heard people use it, but are there stats for it, and what is it good for?

Tarian
04-11-2010, 02:03
It's an old Storm of Chaos warmachine that munches ranked units, but is kinda dated. A very effective unit, especially with current blocks of 10 deep slaves, etc.

SimRobert2001
04-11-2010, 02:18
Storm of chaos? I know OF it, but what special rules did it have?

And where do i find stats for it?

Tarian
04-11-2010, 02:21
Not sure of where the rules are, but it hit on BS (I think 5 or 6) and did D3 S4 (I think) hits per rank. Also crewed by Slayers, so unbreakable. It basically lobbed axes at units, lots of axes.

meneroth
04-11-2010, 02:26
pretty much right, except there is a slayer engineer in there who is pretty beefy. you nominate a unit and use los and BS to see if it hits, and for every rank you role a D3 and it does that many hits at S4 -2 armor save.

Agoz
04-11-2010, 07:40
yep, and as I recall it is a very economical warmachine, for being crewed by slayers and having a hero level character as a crew-member, something like 110-130pts.

skavenmatt
04-11-2010, 15:05
Malakai Makaisson's Goblin Hewer :
2 crewmen + malakai
Flings armor penetrating str4 axes up to 48 inches away, lots and lots of axes as stated.
The crew are armed with hand weapons and great weapons
malakai has a great weapon and a repeating dwarf handgun (same a dwarf handgun but with multiple shots x3)
they follow the normal rules for slayers.
malakai also follows all the same rules as an engineer (he's a slayer engineer)
he's 5ws, 5bs, 4st, 4to, 2wo, 3at, 3in, 10ld blah blah, big dwarf slayerneer
pick an enemy unit that is legal, within range, blah blah.
use malakai's bs if he didn't fire his handgun, the crews if he did.
it does a d3 wounds per rank, or file if it's in the flank, of that unit.
if they're skirmishers it's only d3 wounds regardless.
range 48, str 4, -2 as, to 7
All that for a rockin amount of 130 points, wooo hooo.

You could take it in the slayer army as a rare choice, or in the empire or dwarf army as a hero and a rare choice. It's also a regiment of renown, so I suppose when the dogs of war army was out, it could have been thrown in there or included in other allied armies as well, not sure on that bit, but it did have the regiment of renown rule.

Jericho
09-11-2010, 17:22
Yeah paradoxically, it was never 100% clear if a pure Dogs of War army could take one.

Anyway they were always fantastically effective against big ranked units. Cheap, very reliable with BS5 and no chance of a misfire, and being crewed by unbreakable Dwarf Slayers w/ great axes is never a bad thing! With the current rules for partial hits, it's probably safe to say that mortars/stone throwers are capable of much more damage, but the reliability was what made this thing truly shine.

It's d3 hits per rank btw, and d3 hits against skirmishers and single model targets, not d3 wounds.

And if you get a flank shot off, then like a cannon/bolt thrower you use the files to determine hits. So shooting cavalry in the flank could easily net you 6d3 S4 armor piercing hits. Not bad at all.

My favorite ever result with the Hewer was using it against Chaos Warriors with shields... shot a 6x2 unit in the flank and killed all 12 :D

SlaaneshSlave
10-11-2010, 00:34
I have the Storm of Chaos book & it lists the Goblin Hewer as a Rare & Hero choice for Dwarf & Empire lists. AND I have the model unopened in the box.

So, here is my plan to get punched in the face. ;) (Let's see if my regular opponents will notice this post.)

I'm going to take it as an Allied force in my Demon army. So, this means that unit of unbreakable Slayers cannot use my Demon general's leadership of BSB. Doesn't feel like much of a downside does it?

** I'll count the points just once, but make sure there is room in both Hero & Rare point allocations for it.

Jormi_Boced
10-11-2010, 18:04
It was allowed in the last tourney I played in. I didn't run into it, but I saw one there.