PDA

View Full Version : 2k For the Empire!

DivineVisitor
04-11-2010, 12:23
After getting majorly roughed up by my brothers Dark Elves and his Death Magic i've made a few additions to my 2k list for our next encounter. We may also be playing a 6 player Mighty Empires campaign starting out at 2k points so this list may play a part in that aswell if all goes well.

Lords
Arch Lector - 186
Great Weapon, Armour of Metoric Iron, Van Horstmann's Speculum

Wizard Lord - 260
Lv4, Shroud of Magnus, Lore of ???

Heroes
Captain of the Empire - 105
Battle Standard, Full Plate, Shield, Handgun, Banner of Eternal Flame
(we've removed the limits on non magical equipment for battle standards to bring the older books in line)

Captain of the Empire - 149
Pegasus, Lance, Full Plate, Shield, Crown of Command/Aldreds Casket of Sorcery

Battle Wizard - 145
Lv2, Seal of Destruction, Lore of ???

Master Engineer - 65

Core
42 Halberdiers - 230
Full Command
20 Halberdier Detachment - 100

41 Halberdiers
Full Command
20 Halberdier Detachment - 100

15 Handgunners - 145
Marksman, Hochland Long Rifle

Special
Great Cannon - 100

Mortar - 75

Rare
Hellstorm Rocket Battery - 115

Total - 2000

Still a few things to think of with the list, those being:

Which Lore to take on my Wizards
To take Crown of Command or Aldreds Casket of Sorcery on my Pegasus Captain

Taking part in the campaign should be: Daemons of Chaos, Dark Elves, Dwarves, Empire (Me!), Skaven and Warriors of Chaos.

Torpedo Vegas
04-11-2010, 16:41
Keep the Casket. I'd go with Lore of Metal for the lvl 1 and Lore of Life for the Levl3. Metal will help kill the Dorfs and WoC, while Life will helpp keep your big units of Infantry alive.

Pulstar
04-11-2010, 17:16
Every spell in the Lore of Light helps the empire army.

Torpedo Vegas
04-11-2010, 17:20
Every spell in the Lore of Light helps the empire army.
Maybe a War Altar then. Though it is a bit pricey at 2000 points.

Classical Mushroom
04-11-2010, 19:09
I think that lore of shadow or light on your level 4 would be best. Shadows hexes help hugely when in combat but also Withering combined with mortar fire can make for a nasty combo :p
Light buffs your units instead of hexing your opponents in combat and it does have Net of Amyntok which is very helpful if you want to try and stop that pesky death wizard casting for a turn. Overall both lores are great for empire but its down to which one you believe will help your army the most.

For the level 2 I would recommend Beasts, the main reason Wildform is amazing for a sig spell and really helps our troops in combat, also there is a chance to get The Savage Beast of Horros which can turn our heroes into (bad pun incoming) Beasts.

I would keep Aldreds Casket on your captain as he will be hunting war machines and taking out light units so the casket also allows him to pester enemy wizards.

Dawnstone on the Arch Lector would be a nice addition as a 1+ AS with a re-roll is very handy.

I really do feel a second warrior priest with bare bones kit would really help, then both your large units of halberdiers would have hatred. It would mean dropping you engineer however. I also think units of 20 detachments is a tad large I would consider dropping them to 15. They still reduce your opponents ranks and draw less attention as well.

If you did decide to make the changes your list would look something like this.

Lords
Arch Lector - 211pts
Great Weapon, Armour of Meteoric Iron, Dawnstone, Van Horstmann's Speculum

Wizard Lord - 260pts
Level 4, Shroud of Magnus, Lore of Shadow/Light

Heroes
Captain of the Empire - 105pts
Battle Standard, Full Plate, Shield, Handgun, Banner of Eternal Flame

Captain of the Empire - 149pts
Pegasus, Lance, Full Plate, Shield, Aldreds Casket of Sorcery

Battle Wizard - 145pts
Level 4, Seal of Destruction, Lore of Beasts

Warrior Priest - 98pts
Heavy Armour, Additional Hand Weapon/Great Weapon

Core
42 Halberdiers - 230pts
Full Command
15 Halberdier Detachment - 75pts

41 Halberdiers - 225pts
Full Command
15 Halberdier Detachment - 75pts

14 Handgunners - 137pts
Marksman, Hochland Long Rifle

Special
Great Cannon - 100pts

Mortar - 75pts

Rare
Hellstorm Rocket Battery - 115pts

Total - 2000

Hope Iíve been of some small help :)

DivineVisitor
05-11-2010, 16:27
Played a 2500 point game against Daemons using basically this list with the addition of 14 Knights, mount for my Arch Lector, swapped his items to the Dawn Armour, Shield and a Barded Warhorse. Which allowed me to equip the Battle Standard with Armour of Metoric Iron and Dawnstone (i do love 1+ re-rollable saves :D) The Pegasus Captain also went with the Dragonhelm and Wizard Lord the Rod of Power. Magic wise i tried out a combination of Shadow on my Lv4 and Light on my Lv2.

The game went fairly simply, i was up against:

Lord of Change with Lore of Life
Herald of Tzeentch with Lore of Fire
Blue Scribes
Skulltaker with 19 Bloodletters
Herald of Khorne with Battle Standard and 19 Bloodletters
Herald of Slaanesh with 19 Daemonettes
3 Bloodcrushers
2 Fiends
3 Flamers

I basically just matched them up against the units i thought would eventually come out on top.

My Arch Lector took her first Greater Daemon Scalp
My Knights stomped the Herald of Slaanesh and her Daemonettes
The Bloodcrushers were fended off by my Battle Standard and 41 Halberdiers
His Battle Standard and Bloodletter bodyguard made mincemeat out of a Detachment
Skulltaker and his unit were whittled down into nothing my other unit of Halberdiers and their detachment.
The Fiends and Flamers attempted to get at my War Machines and Handgunners but encountered my Pegasus Captain.

All in all it went according to plan, the only front i lost on was my detachment against his Battle Standard and accompanying unit, they were then promptly nuked by my Hellstorm Rocket Battery.

Magic was fairly underwhelming this game for both sides with the majority of attempts being dispelled. My War Machines and handgunners were horrific doing virtually nothing throughout. Must have caused about 20 wounds with them in total but oddly enough it was in the combat phase where i came out on top. With more ranks, flank charges and the majority of the army having at least S4 attacks the Daemons weren't too much of a problem. Each combat was a fairly prolonged battle of attrition but one my units came out on top of. Happy with the way they performed :)

Il certainly give the Shadow and Beasts combination a go but i like my 20 man Detachments. I find them very useful most of the time. The enemy need to slay 11 of them to stop disruption after all rather than the 6 they would in units of 15. The extra Warrior Priest would come in handy though im not sure what else i would be willing to part with in the army. I currently haven't converted a War Altar yet but when i do it'l probably be in every list i make of 2500 points or more.

Torpedo Vegas
05-11-2010, 16:42
Battle Wizard - 145pts
Level 4, Seal of Destruction, Lore of Beasts

>Level 4 Battle Wizard
> Level 4
You mean Level 2 right?
In any case, I like that list but it seems a bit to Character heavy. If anything, I'd drop the lvl2 and take a master engineer and another Great Cannon. You always need redundancy.

Nocculum
05-11-2010, 16:55
I'd take Full Plate Armour, Shield of the Gorgon and Crimson Amulet on the Arch Lector, if you're running the Speculum. A 3+/6+ is more than enough to fend of a single attack in a challenge, and a 3+/4+ if you maintain the ward save prayer should be plenty to stave off rank and file. The Amulet also protects you against the Lore of Death attribute spells too.

Classical Mushroom
05-11-2010, 17:07
>Level 4 Battle Wizard
> Level 4
You mean Level 2 right?

Indeed thanks for pointing that out :)

@DivineVisitor
Glad to hear you showed those daemons a thing or two. Always a fluffy feeling when a Lector kills a Greater Daemon in a duel. :evilgrin:

My main reason for suggesting 15 man detachments was so you could get the points for the warrior priest and AoMI but looks like to did just fine.

Keep us posted on how the rest of your games go. :)

DivineVisitor
06-11-2010, 12:03
>Level 4 Battle Wizard
> Level 4
You mean Level 2 right?
In any case, I like that list but it seems a bit to Character heavy. If anything, I'd drop the lvl2 and take a master engineer and another Great Cannon. You always need redundancy.

Been trying to avoid getting too many War Machines as i wan't them to complement the army and not be a focal point. My friends (especially my Dark Elf brother) tend to be rather frustrated by them as well so i try to keep them on the light side. Were all working towards 5k points and i plan to take 2 Cannons, 2 Mortars, 2 Hellstorms and a Steam Tank at that point value.

I may need to be a devil one day though and go for more :evilgrin:

I'd take Full Plate Armour, Shield of the Gorgon and Crimson Amulet on the Arch Lector, if you're running the Speculum. A 3+/6+ is more than enough to fend of a single attack in a challenge, and a 3+/4+ if you maintain the ward save prayer should be plenty to stave off rank and file. The Amulet also protects you against the Lore of Death attribute spells too.

Unfortunately the Arch Lector doesn't have access to Full Plate so the best save they would get on foot with that set-up would be a 4+/6+ (4+/4+ with the prayer) which i think would be rather vunerable depending on what im up against. In challenges with the Speculum it would likely still be solid but if im up against rank and file it may see the end of them. The Amulet is a fantastic item however and something il keep in mind when making my lists.

Indeed thanks for pointing that out :)

@DivineVisitor
Glad to hear you showed those daemons a thing or two. Always a fluffy feeling when a Lector kills a Greater Daemon in a duel. :evilgrin:

My main reason for suggesting 15 man detachments was so you could get the points for the warrior priest and AoMI but looks like to did just fine.

Keep us posted on how the rest of your games go. :)

It is a good suggestion and one il probably need to try out, would certainly give me a good few extra points to play with. Il be sure to keep everyone posted! :)

Nocculum
06-11-2010, 14:16
Duh me, my apologies, of course he can't take Full Plate!

Torpedo Vegas
07-11-2010, 02:50
Keep the arch lector away from large infantry blocks then. It would suck to lose him to a 50 strong unit of Skaven slaves.