PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas on a Tau character.

Tau-Lover
04-11-2010, 15:36
Hey. We are going to make a 40k campaign, and as our general, we have to use a named character from the book, or one we make ourselves. But I need some ideas on how my character should be. We can make our own war-gear and special rules.
I don't know if he should in a battle suit like the normal commander or if he should be in a suit like shadowsun. I don't really like kroot and vespid that much, so don't bother give ideas about them.

I pretty much blank right now, so any ideas on weapon, war-gear and special rules would be really nice!

Thanks.

ForgottenLore
04-11-2010, 17:28
What a cool group. Wish my LGS could get behind custom characters.

You could try to make an Ethereal special character that didn't suck. That would certainly be unique.
A lot of special characters in more modern codexes are playing around with the Force Org chart, so you might try something would let you take an all suit army. Maybe a stealth suit commander that allows one or more stealth teams as troops.
A commander that isn't in a suit, but rather has a command squad of veteran fire warriors (similar to the honor guard)
A special command tank (like the space marine Damocles) that provides bonuses for your army.

Pick a couple universal special rules you would like and invent a story to explain why someone would have those rules. This method tends to produce reasonably simple characters that are fairly easy to balance and play.

Make up a story for the character and invent rules that fit that story. This method tends to produce very flavorful characters but can lead to overpowered, complex, hard to balance characters.

Carlos
04-11-2010, 17:40
Shas'o Samus A'ran 190pts

Last survivor of a Tau colony ship raided by Dark Eldar when she was a child, she has risen through the ranks of the Fire Caste. The Tau pre-eminant expert on the Alien raiders, she is frequently joined to exploratory fleets to help defend them.

WS/BS/S/T/W/I/A/Ld/Sv
4/6//4/4/3/5/3/10/3+

Weapons: Arm cannon

Wargear: XV7 'Varia' Suit, Target Lock, Shield Generator, Blacksun Filter, Vectored Retro Thrusters

Special Rules
Independent Character

Arm Cannon
Samus' experimental Arm cannon has the ability to change it's firing mode dependent on the target or situation in hand.
Samus counts as being armed with a Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster and Missile Pod and may choose which weapon the arm cannon fires as each shooting phase. It also counts as a power weapon in the assault phase.

XV7 Varia Suit
The Varia suit is built for combat in the extreme temperatures of space and includes extra protection and agility to do so.
Melta and Flamer weapons halve their strength when rolling to wound Samus. Increased reflexes means she automatically passes her I test to leave combat when using her retro thrusters.

Raider Expert
Samus has grown up fighting many battles with the Dark Eldar that raid the outskirts of the empire. She has developed many counter measures and tactics from her experience. When fighting Dark Eldar, Samus may always chose to re-roll the dice for first turn. Dark Eldar may never attempt to sieze the initiative when fighting against and army that includes Samus.

fataljd
04-11-2010, 17:47
If they're gonna have a suit, look to the forgeworld battlesuits for inspiration!
I would really be nice to see rules made for an ethereal that actually made it
worth taking though, so I'd lean in that direction. Maybe some kind of special
psyker defense, since tau seem to completely lack it. Perhaps give some kind
of good army-wide benefit to having an ethereal?

CaptainOtter
04-11-2010, 19:23
Making Tau characters is kinda hard, since they tend to be rather boring and there arn't too many good examples of commanders outside of Farsight (who's cool) and Shadowsun (who is about as 1 dimensional as it gets). So for backstory, you're going to have to do something thinking.

Start with their tactics and how they fight. Are they a patient hunter, or do they tear their enemy to the ground? From there, start thinking about what their personality is like. Come up with ideas about what planet they're from. How long have they served the empire. What is their view on auxilleries. How loyal are they to the ethereals. Things like these. Once you get his character and personality all set, then you can start adding rules that compliment his traits.

Mannimarco
04-11-2010, 19:27
Look to Brightsword. A ready made character who exists in the fluff but sadly never made it into the rules, hes also a lot more interesting than shadowsun and shouldnt be to hard to make using pre existing codex stuff.

Shnerg
04-11-2010, 19:38
Lieutenant Eclipsa

190 Points

WS3;BS5;S4;T4;W3;I3;A2;Ld9;Sv3+

Wargear: Burst Cannon, Shield Generator, Target Lock (XV8)

Special Rules: All models in Eclipsa's army gain +1 to their cover save in Night Fighting missions.

May replace her burst cannon with any weapon option in Codex:Tau Empire for the given points cost +5.

Charistoph
04-11-2010, 19:48
R'alai in the XV-9 command suit could be interesting, too.

Xeones
04-11-2010, 22:42
Question: Does your campaign start out as small skirmish games and ramp up to bigger battles? The reason I ask is that you may want to think of a way to "scale" your commander as the campaign progresses to ensure that your commander isn't OP at the beginning or Awful at the end.

I've known people to do all sorts of DIY characters. Some people have made Broadside commanders or decked out their commander with experimental suits, weapons, and wargear. My basic question to you is: what kind of list do you run and how do you like it to function?

If you run an aggressive mech army, you'll probably want to create some sort of battlesuit commander with some cool perks. If you run more of a gunline list, you could go with a boadside or infantry commander.

Here are some ideas I've had that you might find interesting:

Battlesuit Ethereal:
Think "battle cleric" type character from fantasy RPG games. He's got some decent fire power, but he's more for support. When on the table any Tau unit may choose to use his leadership value for leadership and morale tests.
• Special Honor Blade which adds +2S (so S7) and Rending in CC.
• Advance Missile Pod: S7 AP3 Assault 2
• Unit he is with may choose to pass or fail any morale test
• Inspirational: One battlesuit team may be "blessed" by the Ethereal gaining Feel No Pain, Eternal Warrior, and +1BS.
• Price of Failure: Should the Ethereal die, the aforementioned "blessed" is reduced to BS2 and gains "Rage"

Stealth Suit Commander:
• Typical Shas'El stats (but T:3, S:4) with Stealthsuit
• Sheild Gen
• Hardwired Target Array
• Burst Cannon with AP2 ammo
• Can be upgraded to 24" range Fusion Blaster
• Steathsuits become scoring
• Can take 1-4 XV-25 Bodyguard Vre's which can ALL be upgraded to fusion blasters

Sniper 'El
XV-25 Shas'El with rail rifle
• Target Array
• Not an IC
• Re-rolls "to wound" with Shas'El's RR
• Owning player can choose to allocate wounds caused by the 'El
• Can take three sniper drones which use the Shas'El's BS.
• Has Stealth, and the equivalent to Skilled Rider USRs in addition to the normal benefits of an XV-25

Battlesuit Shaper
A revered Shaper is awarded a special battlesuit after suffering a horribly debilitating injury while protecting an Ethereal in battle.
WS:6 / BS:3 / S:6 / T:5 / W:4 / I:4 / A:4 / Ld:10 / Sv:3+ (3+ inv.)
• Unit Type: Infantry (ie. no Jumpjets)
• Equipment: the Shaper is equipped with an advanced Kroot gun and an experimental combat shield granting him a 3+ invulnerable save.
• Acute Senses, and Infiltrate USRs
• Advanced Kroot Gun: Strength: 7, AP: 4, Assault: 2, Range: 48". Additionally, in close combat, it counts as a rending weapon and rolls 2D6 for armor penetration.
• Does not count as the 1+ Tau commander
• Kroot become 1+ mandatory troops choice

MalusCalibur
05-11-2010, 00:01

YES.

That is all.

Carlos
05-11-2010, 10:12
YES.

That is all.

I've been meaning to make her for ages as I've painted the rest of my Tau to look like Federation troopers (From Other M) and my Vespids as Luminoth. I use converted Lizardmen as Bryyans to represent Kroot (with Skink as hounds and Carnosaur Knarlocs!)
The conversion is simple really: Helmeted Shadowsun with one Fusion Blaster cut off.
In smaller battles she is a regular Shas'el with Plasma Rifle, Shield Gen and Vectors and in larger battles Shas'o Ra'lai with his variable fire gun works best.

marv335
05-11-2010, 13:47

Last survivor of a Tau colony ship raided by Dark Eldar when she was a child, she has risen through the ranks of the Fire Caste. The Tau pre-eminant expert on the Alien raiders, she is frequently joined to exploratory fleets to help defend them.

WS/BS/S/T/W/I/A/Ld/Sv
4/6//4/4/3/5/3/10/3+

Weapons: Arm cannon

Wargear: XV7 'Varia' Suit, Target Lock, Shield Generator, Blacksun Filter, Vectored Retro Thrusters

Special Rules
Independent Character

Arm Cannon
Samus' experimental Arm cannon has the ability to change it's firing mode dependent on the target or situation in hand.
Samus counts as being armed with a Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster and Missile Pod and may choose which weapon the arm cannon fires as each shooting phase. It also counts as a power weapon in the assault phase.

XV7 Varia Suit
The Varia suit is built for combat in the extreme temperatures of space and includes extra protection and agility to do so.
Melta and Flamer weapons halve their strength when rolling to wound Samus. Increased reflexes means she automatically passes her I test to leave combat when using her retro thrusters.

Raider Expert
Samus has grown up fighting many battles with the Dark Eldar that raid the outskirts of the empire. She has developed many counter measures and tactics from her experience. When fighting Dark Eldar, Samus may always chose to re-roll the dice for first turn. Dark Eldar may never attempt to sieze the initiative when fighting against and army that includes Samus.

Hmmm.
Not sure.
I'd adjust the Arm cannon.
I like the various fire modes, but I'd change it from Missile Pod to Heavy Flamer, as you have two energy weapons and one projectile weapon. I would make it twin linked though.

I'd also drop the power weapon.

As for the DE, instead of never seizing the initiative, I's say that they must re-roll a successful StI roll

Carlos
05-11-2010, 19:19
Hmmm.
Not sure.
I'd adjust the Arm cannon.
I like the various fire modes, but I'd change it from Missile Pod to Heavy Flamer, as you have two energy weapons and one projectile weapon. I would make it twin linked though.

I'd also drop the power weapon.

As for the DE, instead of never seizing the initiative, I's say that they must re-roll a successful StI roll

In the game though you have Plasma Beam (Plasma), Missiles (Missile Pod) and the Wave Beam (Fusion Blaster) as this gives you a mix of range, anti-tank and anti-MEQ. The Power Weapon represents all those gnarley close combat attacks Samus has in Other M.

MalusCalibur
05-11-2010, 21:25
In the game though you have Plasma Beam (Plasma), Missiles (Missile Pod) and the Wave Beam (Fusion Blaster) as this gives you a mix of range, anti-tank and anti-MEQ. The Power Weapon represents all those gnarley close combat attacks Samus has in Other M.

Personally I'd say the Fusion Blaster represented the Plasma Beam (short range, anti-vehicle), and the Plasma Rifle the Wave Beam (multi-shot, anti personnel armour).
I can't think of a decent Tau weapon to represent the Ice Beam though....which needs to be on there really, it's iconic!

Bonzai
06-11-2010, 03:29
I've beeen experimenting with some campaign rules, which include the creation of custom special characters. Here are the Tau ones.

Tau

The young and dynamic Tau race continues their 3rd sphere of expansion. Though the Imperium of Man has eased itís pressure due to other factors demanding their attention, it has not been without resistance. Hive fleet Gorgon caused unspeakable damage to many sept worlds, and perhaps even more persistent have been the Orks. The War of Dakka has never truly ended, and the Tau are constantly fighting Orkish invaders. It would be bad enough if they were fighting on only one front, but the Orks constantly splinter off into smaller warbands creating hundreds of smaller conflicts. Usually these smaller forces are more of an annoyance than a true threat. However some eventually build to the point where they demand attention. The Orkish Freebooter, Nazsilk HoíSmackah and his boyz, raided key Tau laboratories and got away with some top secret technology. The importance and nature of this technology was such that the Etherials demanded itís immediate return. A full contingent was formed with orders to return or destroy it no matter the costs.

Commander Dark Bow (points 100)
A hardened veteran of numerous skirmishes, Commander Dark Bow is the most senior officer present in Infernus, and the nominal leader of the Contingent. Favoring the path of the Patient Hunter, he favors meticulous planning and preparation. This puts him at odds with more impulsive commanders. In particular, the young Commander Fire Knife draws his ire. Not only is he dismissive of the young Commanderís brashness and impulsiveness, but he also questions his allegiance due to his disgraced mentors. If not for the moderating voice of AuníNor, Commander Fire Knife would not have been allowed to participate in the mission at all.

WS 4, BS 5, S5, T4, W4, I3, A4, LD10, Sv3+

Rules & Equipement: Commander Dark Bow is a ShasíO with access to all the standard ShasíO options and equipment for their normal price. In addition, all Crisis Suits gain hit and run.

AuníNor (70 points)
The Tau race is led and guided by the Ethereal caste. AuníNor is the young and idealistic Ethereal who was assigned to oversee the contingent sent out to hunt down Nazsilk Hoísmackah and his boys. While Commander Dark Bow is the nominal military leader of the Tau forces, AuníNor is the will that keeps them together. Smoothing the conflicting personalities, and keeping them focused on the greater good, he is vital to the missions success.

WS 4, BS 3, S3, T3, W3, I3, A3, LD10, Sv-

Rules: Inspiring Presence, Honor Guard, Price of Failure, (AuníNor and his body guard can purchase a devilfish as a designated transport. This devilfish can hold AuníNor and 12 body guards).

Commander Fire Knife (Points 160)
Commander Fire Knife was a disciple of Commander Brightblade, and student of the teachings of Commander Farsight. The disgrace and death of his mentor, has led him to be viewed with distrust and suspicion among his peers. Despite this, or perhaps in spite of this, he has accumulated an impressive roster of victories. He is something of a maverick , and many of his tactics unorthodox, but thus far he has proven a reliable soldier of the greater good. He favors the way of the Killing Blow, using stealth and night fighting to hammer his opponents when they are weak. Taking his mentorís tactics to heart, he has equipped his XV-22 battle suit with two proto-type energy blades, from which he gained his name.

WS 4, BS 5, S5, T4, W4, I3, A4, LD10, Sv3+

Rules & Wargear: XV-22 battle suit, Counter Attack, Master Craft Power Weapon, Targeting Array, Multi Tracker, 2 twin linked fusion blasters.

Night Fighter: If Commander Fire Knife is the attacker, then the night fighting special rule is in effect for the entire battle.

Orcboy_Phil
06-11-2010, 07:11
Some inspiration for you.

slingersam
06-11-2010, 10:50
Lieutenant Eclipsa

190 Points

WS3;BS5;S4;T4;W3;I3;A2;Ld9;Sv3+

Wargear: Burst Cannon, Shield Generator, Target Lock (XV8)

Special Rules: All models in Eclipsa's army gain +1 to their cover save in Night Fighting missions.

May replace her burst cannon with any weapon option in Codex:Tau Empire for the given points cost +5.

Can you explain to me how this character is remotely worth the 190pts?

Commander X'perimenta - 150pts
shas'el with targeting array, multi-tracker, and target lock

He pretty much invents and trys out his new gear everytime. Inventing the following: Which have been fairly effective.

Plasma Morter: str6 ap2 blast 18"
portable railgun: str8 ap1 36"
Advanced retro thrusters: may move an extra D3 during the assault phase (6+D3")