PDA

View Full Version : 8th Edition and Open/Closed Lists

Wargamejunkie
04-11-2010, 18:39
Did a search and nothing useful came up.

I remember from previous editions of Warhammer that is was a closed list game unless otherwise noted.

I naturally looked in the Armylist section of the rulebook but did not find a mention of it.

Is there any rule in the new book stating one way or another?

Chipacabra
05-11-2010, 06:41
Did a search and nothing useful came up.

I remember from previous editions of Warhammer that is was a closed list game unless otherwise noted.

I naturally looked in the Armylist section of the rulebook but did not find a mention of it.

Is there any rule in the new book stating one way or another?

It's in the FAQ. The rule is that there's no rule. Discuss it with your opponent.

KronusDaSneaky
05-11-2010, 10:00
Personally I prefer open lists but then I came to warhammer from a 40k background where that's the norm. Closed can add something to the game but I think open ones make things more transparent and lead to a less tense more friendly atmosphere

ColShaw
05-11-2010, 16:32
For tournaments it will, of course, depend on the tournament organizer.

Bac5665
05-11-2010, 17:45
Closed lists is the norm around here.

We disclose everything that isn't a magic item (and if the magic item is armor or a special weapon, that too.) Just makes the most sense.

Open lists are clearly wrong, by the way, as several magic items would be made useless if lists are open. The only question is how closed to be.

decker_cky
05-11-2010, 18:01
Closed lists are the norm here too. Same as 7th basically I think.

shakedown47
05-11-2010, 19:28
We play open lists almost exclusively in my area, both for tournaments and friendly games.

Open lists prevent any player winning merely by having a "Gotcha!" secret item stashed away; the game is usually decided by more desirable variables, such as tactics and luck.

Also, there is the problem of those players whose lives depend on succesfully pushing around metal and plastic men and rolling plastic dice better than their opponents. These people seem to always have just the right magic item on hand for any given situation...open lists encourage a little more forthrightness.

Bac5665
05-11-2010, 19:47
I like the "gotcha" magic items. It adds suspense to the game, no knowing where the ring of hotek is when casting for the first time, or not knowing what magic items that general has and so on. Great fun.

Plus, with open lists, how do you get around the fact of the several magic items who's whole purpose is to reveal things?

Lord Inquisitor
05-11-2010, 19:49
The game seems to assume closed lists, given that there are numerous magic items that can reveal what items or hidden things an opponent has.

logan054
05-11-2010, 20:59
I don't think I have ever played a game with a open list, its not that I have a problem with it I have just never meet anyone who has ever suggested it.

decker_cky
05-11-2010, 21:11
Once at a tournament there were open lists, but my mind refused to acknowledge it and I fell for the ring of hotek after knowing it was there. :P

Chipacabra
05-11-2010, 21:40
The game seems to assume closed lists, given that there are numerous magic items that can reveal what items or hidden things an opponent has.

Well, it's not like there weren't any other items that became obsolete in 8th edition.

Just make sure you decide BEFORE writing your lists, so that no one wastes points on a crystal ball.

KronusDaSneaky
05-11-2010, 22:24
Once at a tournament there were open lists, but my mind refused to acknowledge it and I fell for the ring of hotek after knowing it was there. :P

Nice post. It brought a smile to my face :)

Scriboergosum
06-11-2010, 02:15
We play open lists almost exclusively in my area, both for tournaments and friendly games.

Open lists prevent any player winning merely by having a "Gotcha!" secret item stashed away; the game is usually decided by more desirable variables, such as tactics and luck.

Also, there is the problem of those players whose lives depend on succesfully pushing around metal and plastic men and rolling plastic dice better than their opponents. These people seem to always have just the right magic item on hand for any given situation...open lists encourage a little more forthrightness.

Few, if any, magic items will have an effect severe enough to actually win somebody the game, if they weren't already going to anyway.
No more than one round of extremely lucky dice throwing can do the same for you, at least.
Either way, you emphasize tactics yourself, and it's a legitimate tactic to have weapons your opponent doesn't know about, relying on that very fact to give you an edge. Maybe your opponent doesn't know you have the Drakenhoff Banner on your Grave Guard. And maybe you don't know the character he has in the unit fighting your Grave Guard has a weapon with flaming attacks, effectively neutralizing your banner and so on and so forth.

If you're afraid your opponent pulled a fast one on you, ask to see his list after the game, "just out of curiosity". If he won't show it to you, or darn it, he just doesn't have it on him, maybe don't play him again.