Warriors 19 152
Full Command +25
Total 177

Dwarf Thane 65
Battle Standard +25
Rune of Slowness +50
Total 140

ORgan Gun 140

Allright, Here is what i have planned for an upcoming tournament. I want to use the Daemon slayer for both holding up units, as well as protecting the siege gear and crossbow dwarfs. I will put dwarf Thanes inside both of my quarrelers and warriors, with the warriors holding the battle standard.

Grey Mage
05-11-2010, 03:23
I just dunno about the Slayer, hes got nowhere to go that he cant get plinked off by some fast cav or chameleon skinks.

And youve got 38pts left, or 148 with him gone....

145pts would get you a 10 strong unit of Rangers, wich could be alot of fun and add some tactical options to your list.

Another option would be to increase your firepower a bit with a small unit of thunderers or a Ballista and Grudge Thrower, with perhaps Burning and Seeking on the bolt thrower, or an engineer on either.

ROCKY
05-11-2010, 19:15
I personally wouldnt spend too much on character at this point level. why not take a stacked runelord or dwarflord and spend the rest on troops and artillary. take a cannon, and a modified stone thrower, 2 units of dwarves and a character. that should do it.

SimRobert2001
05-11-2010, 22:33
Allright. Really,. part of it is just that i Want to try out the slayers, but we're going to jump up to 1,500 points soon. I guess i'll wait until then.

Though, if i may ask, how is my build for the Daemon slayer?

and what about the rangers? what tactical opportunities do they provide?

Grey Mage
05-11-2010, 23:41
Your Daemonslayer is deadly, and no mistake, but hes got a really big problem- he always strikes last and doesnt have an armor save. Against anything more dangerous than two deep imperial swordsmen he may very well die before he has a chance to strike. I think Id drop the master rune for a simple +1 Strength instead Almost as much benefit, lil cheaper, and he can go at initiative.

A unit of slayers would however make him much more useful all told, as they would take some of the heat off him during CC with rank and file troops.

Now, as for Rangers- 1, they have Greatweapons, wich are a wonderful option for troops, and they can scout, wich is an even better option. The ability to deploy a good CC unit thats also decently tough much closer to the enemy than normal is rather valuable. The fact that they can be deployed in cover *behind a wall for instance* a good turn or two farther forward than the rest of your army gives you a strongpoint to support, instead of making you form a strongpoint in your own deployment zone. Of course, you also have the option of seeing how your opponent deployed, and putting them in your own area if you so wich- and this is particularly helpful against those armies that will always have more units than you, like Gobos and Skaven as it will allow you to mitigate their ability to deploy half their army in response to you. That kind of flexability is well worth an extra 3pts a model.

SimRobert2001
06-11-2010, 01:05
1000 Point dwarves

Thane 65
Crossbow +5
Great Weapon +4
(paired with quarrelers )
+3 attack characteristic (60)
Total 104

Quarrelers 15 176
Full command +25
Additionally armed with Great Weapons +30

Total 231

Warriors 27 192
Full Command +25
Total 177

Dwarf Thane 65
Battle Standard +25
Rune of Slowness +50
Total 140

Quarrelers 10 110
Full command 25
Great weapons 20
Rangers 10
Total: 165

ORgan Gun 140

1997 points

Okay, here's my list, I took out the Daemonslayer, and added 8 warriors, as well as a unit of 10 quarrelers-turned-rangers. I hope to use these to strike at things like siege weapons, in addition to mages. Would the quarrelrs be good for this?

Grey Mage
06-11-2010, 19:41
Yeah, they should be great- its not like you can charge turn 1 anyways.... I like it.

SimRobert2001
06-11-2010, 21:09
allright, i used my list, and tied in a battle with warriors of chaos.

Mostly, this was due to me not targeting his wolves, and going after several bait items, but my list did rather well.

Although, someone said that while the thane is excellent inside of the quarrelres, i should take him ou, since he only adds something in combat.

(edit)
I now fought ogre kingdoms. They used terrain to take away my ability to shoot anything, and wound up charging my units. I fought well, but overall, my organ gun wound up getting charged first, with an overrun allowing a charge to my warriors. My quarrellers were charged the same turn, and suffered heavy casualties. The 4th turn saw my warriors taking heavy casualties, and my quarrellers wound up slaughtered. In the 5th turn, my rangers, located on a forested hill, were finally forced to fight. There was one wound to the ogre kingdoms units, caused due to heavy terrain, but my great weapons served me well this turn, taking out one maneater (?). However, during my opponents following turn, my warriors were overrun, and my rangers finally bailed, running off of the map.

Clearly, I need more melee fighting units, as the current 27 unit group is not cutting it. Several suggestions have been presented to me, such as arming the warriors with great weapons, removing the standard, and removing the rune of slowness. It was also suggested that I add a few thunderers, as these will allow easier hits.

oh, in addition, i should choose more war machines

Edit: Here's my new list

11000 Point dwarves

Thane 65
Crossbow +5
Great Weapon +4
(paired with quarrelers )
+2 attack characteristic (40)
Total 84

Warriors 12 96
Full Command +25
Great weapons 44
Total 167

Quarrelers 10 110
Full command 25
Great weapons 20
Rangers 10
Total: 165

ORgan Gun 140

Thuderers 12 168
+25 full command
Shields 12
Total 175

Long beards 10 110
Full command 25
total 135

Grudge Thrower 80
Engineer 15
brace of pistols +5
total 100

total 994

Thane no longer has battle standard
Thane with quarrellers
15 WArriors taken away, along with dwarf thane
All quarrelers from main squad removed

12 thunderers with full command added
great weapons given to warriors
10 longbeards added

There were 64 points left at the end, so i decided to add 2 warriors with great weapons, as well as 2 thunderers with shields. However, I have problems deciding between those, and a bolt thrower.