PDA

View Full Version : First ever try at Lizardmen...2000 points

Gloomwhisker
05-11-2010, 01:55
This is something a good bit new for me. I'm the very beginning process of coming up with a 2000 point Lizardmen list in which to start myself off with. I've been on a big Lizardmen kick lately, and am really enjoying pretty much everything about them. Here's a list I just wrote up quickly, more or less as an experiment to see what I could fit in to such a (relatively) small points level. Also, it contains Gor-Rok, a character which I'm quite determined to fit into any list I may make. Please, let me know what you think, and how I can go about making it a more effective army.

Slann Mage-Priest-
Focus of Mystery
The Focused Rumination
Cupped Hands of the Old Ones
Battle Standard Bearer
Razor Standard

Gor-Rok, the Great White Lizard

Saurus Scar-Veteran-
Great Weapon
Hide of the Cold Ones

24 Saurus Warriors-
Champion
Musician
Standard Bearer

10 Skink Skirmishers-
Blowpipes

10 Skink Skirmishers-
Blowpipes

Stegadon

19 Temple Guard-
Revered Guardian
Sword of Swift Slaying
Musician
Standard Bearer
Banner of Eternal Flame

2 Salamander Hunting Packs-
+2 Additional Skink Handlers

TOTAL 1999pts.

Thoughts, criticisms, and proposed changes are very much welcomed and appreciated.

Gloomwhisker

Gloomwhisker
05-11-2010, 02:10
Well, first things first, in this edition I feel like I'm somewhat lacking in some big beefy units. Sure, the two Saurus units(the regular ones and the Temple Guard) are alright, but I might feel a little better with some more. The expensive nature of the Lizardmen is a little bit new to me, having played mostly horde-ish armies up until now. Maybe I'm just still stuck in that mindset, and the units are alright....I'm not sure, let me know what you think.

I know Gor-Rok is a good deal of points, but the way my games tend to go, I really think he'll come in handy. He should end up turning the unit of Saurus he accompanies into a much nastier bit of work. The great weapon-wielding Scar-Veteran will accompany the Temple Guard unit, to add a bit of killing power to them as well. I think the Sword of Swift Slaying on the Revered Guardian might come in handy as well, and I think the points cost is worth it considering he has a decent 3 Attacks anyway, which will be ASF thanks to said Sword.

This is really just the alpha version of the list, very much a work in progress, so please, anything at all you have to say about it will be very helpful. Thanks for reading.

Gloomwhisker

Grey Mage
05-11-2010, 03:57
I wouldnt put the flaming banner on a unit of Templegaurd- to many people with Dragon-Knights and 2+ ward saves vs flaming attacks these days.

You might drop that, hide of the cold ones, and one of the extra handlers for the War Banner and armor of fortune+luckstone for your scar vet.

Gloomwhisker
05-11-2010, 04:35
Thanks very much, Grey Mage, those all sound like excellent ideas and I think I'll go ahead and make those changes. The entire list feels somewhat lacking to me, like it's not quite where I want to be with it. Being very new to Lizardmen, I'm just in the process of figuring it all out and seeing what I can and can't do with things. I must say, I'm absolutely loving the cold blooded ones, and they're actually very challenging(for me, anyway) to make an army list for that I really like....at this point, anyway. I'm sure after some more suffering and list-writing it'll all come together. Well, I hope;)

Do you think the numbers of this list, in general, are about right for this points level, Grey Mage?

Gloomwhisker

Grey Mage
05-11-2010, 07:02
Personally, I prefer three solid blocks of Saurus at this point, but that would require you to sacrifice your Steggie... and I run blocks of 20, not 25. However that detail is personal preference and I know some people run 30, or even 40 saurus in a cohort.

Couple Questions- What magic lore are you using for your Slann?

Have you considered taking skink priests? If you find that your getting ripped apart by enemy shooting then I advise that you do. The Signature Spell for lore of heavens will help keep your saurus alive until they can get where they need to chomp on people.

I look at your list, and I did note it was a bit small- then I noticed that your taking Gor-rok. Its a common opinion that most of our SCs are overpriced, and its one that I agree with. When you can get 20 Saurus for the same price, thats a bit much dont you think? Still, I can respect your decition to take him.... but Id feel more comfortable with it at the 2500pt level.

Gloomwhisker
05-11-2010, 17:41
Thanks Grey Mage, I appreciate the thoughts! One thing I think you're very right about is Gor-Rok....his points cost is just too prohibitive at the 2000 points level. I don't think it's going to happen. Like you said, at a higher points level maybe...but for now, I just don't think it will end up being cost effective. Another block of a Saurus, and maybe even a cheap Scar-Veteran would be more necessary.

As for the Lore of the Slann, well, I haven't quite figured that one out yet either. The Lore of Life seems a popular and useful choice, so that's something I've been looking at. That said, I don't always like to go with the popular choice, so I'm really shopping around with the other Lores, studying up on them, and just figuring out which one will best suit me as a player. Honestly they're all so great, it's a tough choice. If you have any suggestions on great Lores for a Slann, by all means, let me know!

I've definitely considered taking some Skink Priests as well. That's a really excellent point about their signature spell, it seems like a pretty necessary thing. In the end, I think it's obvious that I need to take another look at the list as a while and do some re-writing. Sadly, Gor-Rok will not be making an appearance in the next incarnation of my 2000 point list, I think. We'll see.

Gloomwhisker

Gloomwhisker
05-11-2010, 21:01
Alright, after having gotten some great advice from the Lizardmen tacita thread and all the great people there, I've come up with the beginning or groundwork of a revised 2000 point list. Now, it's not yet finished, but it's a start. Currently I'm sitting at almost 1600 points with the following force, and could use some help rounding it off.

Slann Mage-Priest-
The Focused Rumination
The Becalming Cogitation
Battle Standard Bearer

Saurus Scar-Veteran-
Glittering Scales
Great Weapon

24 Saurus Warriors-
Champion
Musician
Standard Bearer

19 Temple Guard-
Revered Guardian
Musician
Standard Bearer
*Slann and Scar-Veteran accompany this unit

Ancient Stegadon

+2 Additional Skink Handlers

Current TOTAL 1579pts.

So as you can see, it's still got a little work ahead of it to make it battle-worthy. I need about 200 more points worth of Core units to fill my 25% minimum requirement. I also need to work on the characters a bit, and just generally fill things out. Any help polishing this army off would be most welcomed.

Gloomwhisker

Grey Mage
05-11-2010, 23:31
Well a 25 strong saurus block with spears is 330pts, covering your core choices nicely and leavin about enough left over for a unit of skink skirmishers.

As you noted, life is popular- everyone can raise dead now, Yeah!- but I find Lore of Light to be useful when your bringing in a few large blocks of saurus as your main army- it has area of effect buffs that make our rather good combat units into something approaching gods. *I 10, ASF, extra attack, double movement, and -1 to be hit in CC and ranged if you get them all off, wich a Slann can do with some luck*.

If you had more mages, I might reccommend death. Take down high priced enemy single models like characters and monsters while refilling your casting pool to allow the others *like skink priests* the chance to get their spells off in turn.

Gloomwhisker
05-11-2010, 23:41
Thanks again, Grey Mage. I was also thinking that the Lore of Light for the Slann...I'm kind of really liking Light at the moment, and it might be a little less common as the Lore of Life.

Alright, so you're suggesting I add another block of Saurus, giving them Spears? The spear or hand weapon question is something I've been wondering about as well. Maybe it would be good to have a unit of each, like I would following your advice. Also, I'd definitely like to add a unit of blowpipe Skinks...I can just see them coming in handy every now and then, and Poison is always good against those nasty things that lack armour saves.

Alright, I'll write up a "finished" version of the list, Grey Mage, following your advice and see where it takes me. Thanks again!

Gloomwhisker

Gloomwhisker
06-11-2010, 00:51
Something else I've been thinking about is a Skink horde. Say, 28 Skinks, with 3 Kroxigor thrown in there to make 4 ranks of 10 each. It could even be bigger, given a 5th rank of 10 perhaps. Also, a Skink Hero(or two!) could added for some extra hitting power, thanks to their relatively inexpensive nature. I'm sure this isn't a power unit, by any means, but...well, what do you think of it? It seems to me that the goal with most large units is to not give up their points to the enemy during the game(ie. have at least some of them survive by the end of Turn 6...), and I'm just wondering if a unit like this would be a potential weakness in that respect.

The Kroxigor, the large number of admittedly weak Skink attacks, and the Skink Heroes could come together to make for some decent killing power, and a good deal of numbers to an otherwise low model count army. Anyway, it's just a thought, and I'd like to see what your thoughts are on this. I've yet to really work out just how many points a unit like this would be, but I'm sure it's a lot....so hmmm, I'm not sure.

Gloomwhisker

Gloomwhisker
07-11-2010, 00:06
Also, I've been seeing a lot of conversation regarding Saurus Warriors armaments. Hand Weapons and Shields, or Spears. Is there a definitive answer to this, or is it a personal choice? Seeing as the Saurus blocks are expensive and ultimately the backbone of my force, which would you suggest arming them with...spears, or hand weapons?

Gloomwhisker

Grey Mage
07-11-2010, 03:19
It really is personal choice.

HW+Shield means you fight in two ranks, but have more defense in melee.

Spear+Shield is just as good vs enemy shooting, but fights in three ranks, wich means they do more damage to the enemy.

I feel spears are better since many players are fielding large hordes these days. Still, if Chaos Warriors, or anyone fielding large numbers of str 4+ troops are in your area it might be worth it to take the HWs instead.

I wish they hadnt gotten rid of the options though.

papabearshane
07-11-2010, 03:40
All I can say is Skaven Pelt Banner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who cares what your Up agenst Frenzy on 26 Temple Guard is just plain mean...............

Add lore of light and those re-rolls and your on your way to wreaking havoc on everyone..............

Add in what ever other banner you want on the slann/BsB with them and death Guard your way to sucess..................Through in 20 skirmishing skins infront for the ever so fun -1 to shoot for your OP and they will be in a big hurt when that unit get into the thick of things...................

Gloomwhisker
08-11-2010, 00:45
Being in the process of building up lists, I'm thinking just for the sake of saving points, the hand weapon and shield combo might be the way to go for my current unit of Saurus...considering that they're 29-strong. Still though...we'll see.

Writing up a Lizardmen list that I really like is proving to be quite the challenge!

Gloomwhisker

Gloomwhisker
08-11-2010, 01:56
Okay, revised list is here. This is by far the most finished version, in my opinion, that I've managed to come up with yet. Of course, it's still not quite done, and I'm looking for your help in this. Anyway, here we go.

Slann Mage-Priest-
Lore of Light
Battle Standard Bearer
The Focused Rumination
The Becalming Cogitation

Saurus Scar-Veteran-
Great Weapon
Light Armour

Skink Priest

29 Saurus Warriors-
Saurus Champion
Musician
Standard Bearer

10 Skink Skirmishers-
Skink Brave

10 Skink Skirmishers-
Skink Brave

20 Temple Guard-
Revered Guardian
Musician
Standard Bearer

Ancient Stegadon

2 Additional Skink Handlers

Current TOTAL 1847pts.

So, as you can see it's getting there. I'm lacking some magic items for all of the characters, and the Temple Guard units, which I could use some suggestions for. Also, I've got a few points left to play with to fill some things out. Chameleon Skinks? Terradons? Thoughts?

Gloomwhisker