PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves 2500

Kirbinator
05-11-2010, 01:45
I picked up Dark Elves back in 7th edition and did decently with them. I've only gotten a couple games in on 8th and just recently picked up the mini-rulebook so I have a decent grasp of it,but not much experience in game. How do you think this list would do?

Supreme Sorceress - Shadow, Lv.4, Focus Familiar, Pendant of Khaeleth, Dark Pegasus - 370
Sorceress - Metal/Dark, Lv.2, Tome of Furion, Seal of Ghrond - 180
Death Hag - BSB, Cauldron of Blood - 225

20x Repeater Crossbowmen - Standard, Musician, Shields - 235
20x Repeater Crossbowmen - Standard, Musician, Shields - 235
25x Spearmen - Full Command, Shields - 190
6x Harpies - 66

21x Witch Elves - Banner of Murder - 245
6x Shades - Extra Hand Weapon - 102
6x Shades - Extra Hand Weapon - 102
Cold One Chariot - 100
Cold One Chariot - 100

War Hydra - 175
War Hydra - 175

Total: 2500

frapermax
05-11-2010, 06:30
Looks like a pretty standard hard DE list. I like having more support and less hydra myself, but this list should be bloody effective as it has all the DE strengths represented twice.
If I were to play against it, my primary targets would be your lvl4 (small arms fire will wreck her fast), and the cauldron (chariots are good against it, or poison) and shades (magic missiles). If you can keep those alive, you should win most (more than half) of your games.
If they die, a lot of your flexibility dies with them and that's when you'll regret the lack of harpies and DR imho.
cheers
fpm

thesheriff
05-11-2010, 08:01
Looks good. What lores are you using on the mages?

thesheriff

Kirbinator
05-11-2010, 15:05
I like having more support and less hydra myself.
What would you pick up for 175 points instead?

If I were to play against it, my primary targets would be your lvl4 (small arms fire will wreck her fast), and the cauldron (chariots are good against it, or poison) and shades (magic missiles).
Yeah, you're definitely right about our units being pretty squishy. I hope that I can keep the PegSorceress out of the way of small arms fire most of the time. If I can't, there really isn't too much I can do to protect her, the Pendant's 3- ward against bows is just the same as a Talisman's 4+.

If they die, a lot of your flexibility dies with them and that's when you'll regret the lack of harpies and DR imho.
I wouldn't say I have a total lack of harpies, there is a group of 6 in the list. How many do you tend to field nowadays? I'm not really sure what you mean by a lot of my flexibility dying with the loss of a Lv.4, Cauldron, and two units of Shades. I understand I would certainly lose a great deal of flexibility, but that's the same with any list once you lose that amount of support. Having a set of Dark Riders or extra set of Harpies in there doesn't really replace losing a Lv.4 or a Cauldron does it?

What lores are you using on the mages?
Shadow on the Lv.4, and either Metal or Dark for the Lv.2.

Nocculum
05-11-2010, 15:57
Find 25 points from somewhere (the Seal of Ghrond is redundant with two challenging rolls and +4/+2 to dispel where applicable) and take two Bolt Throwers over one of the Hydras.

The only thing better than a big scary monster, is a way of killing your opponent's big scary monsters :)

Wyrmnax
05-11-2010, 19:08
Find 25 points from somewhere (the Seal of Ghrond is redundant with two challenging rolls and +4/+2 to dispel where applicable) and take two Bolt Throwers over one of the Hydras.

The only thing better than a big scary monster, is a way of killing your opponent's big scary monsters :)

Or use shadow lore in one of your sorceress. Or engage it to a hydra.

Bolt Throwers are way overexpensive for what they bring.

Kirbinator
05-11-2010, 19:15
Or use shadow lore in one of your sorceress. Or engage it to a hydra.

Bolt Throwers are way overexpensive for what they bring.

I agree. Bolt Throwers no longer get +1 to hit large targets and between Lv.4 Shadow Magic, a wall of Crossbowmen, and my own monsters, I'm not too concerned about needing the bolt throwers.

Although, you may have a valid point with the Seal being a bit redundant, that could be 30 points into something else.