PDA

View Full Version : Flanking Skaven

Hashulaman
05-11-2010, 05:48
If you flank skaven and are able to negate the ranks, does that mean they loose the ldr bonus from the ranks? I dont think it would affect the General though.

chieftainskritchskritch
05-11-2010, 08:21
If you flank skaven and are able to negate the ranks, does that mean they loose the ldr bonus from the ranks? I dont think it would affect the General though.

Yes.

Skaven can only benefit from the Strength In Numbers rule so long as they have a rank bonus. If a Skaven unit does not have a rank bonus (because it is fleeing, it is flanked by an enemy unit with at least 1 rank, etc) then it doesnt get Strength In Numbers.

KronusDaSneaky
05-11-2010, 09:56
Your suspicions are on the money Hashulaman if you flank them you can potentially remove their flank bonus causing them to lose SiN. Just be warned this can be very hard to pull off especially at large points level due to the Skaven army getting so large that it takes up pretty much the entire width of the battlefield and as such has no flanks initially. Putting it simply its rare that a skaven battleline is not considerably wider then its opponents with the aim of doing a lot of flanking itself so you may need to punch a few holes in it first

PaintByNumbers
05-11-2010, 15:48
This may be a really dumb question but keep in mind I haven't looked through a warhammer fantasy rule book in over 10 years.

I can't seem to find where the rule book defines "rank bonus". I would assume it refers to the "Extra ranks" rule but have been unable to find where it is specifically linked to this rule. Can anyone point me to the page that clears this up?

KronusDaSneaky
05-11-2010, 17:23
This may be a really dumb question but keep in mind I haven't looked through a warhammer fantasy rule book in over 10 years.

I can't seem to find where the rule book defines "rank bonus". I would assume it refers to the "Extra ranks" rule but have been unable to find where it is specifically linked to this rule. Can anyone point me to the page that clears this up?

My pleasure PaintByNumbers. Your suspicions would be right in thinking you might find the clarification you are looking for in the combat resolution section where in the 'extra ranks' rules lie. If you read the section carefully you will note that all the subsections from 'calculate combat results' to 'Who's the Winner' (page 52-53) are collectively known as combat results bonuses. Not only is there a prelude to these implying they are bonuses but if you look closely on page 53 you will see a boxed in section dubbed 'Uncommon Bonuses' you will find the following:

In addition to the combat result bonuses explained above .....

In short this means that 'extra ranks' is a combat result bonus which could be more fully described as the extra ranks combat result bonus. This is a bit of mouthful so we all use the simpler Rank Bonus. Also it used to be just rank bonus in 7th and gamers are creatures of habit among other things