PDA

View Full Version : Frontal Charge, incomplete ranks? (diagram attached)

mortiferum
05-11-2010, 09:47
Have a look at the diagrams attached below.

A Horde of 30 Chaos Warriors (Diagram A) suffers a large number of casualties and loses 15 Warriors, leaving 15 Warriors, 10 in front rank and 5 in 2nd rank (Diagram B).

I understand that if the Warriors are charged in the flank (Diagram C), the 5 Warriors in the 2nd rank are able to ‘slide’ along into contact with the enemy unit (Diagram D). This can be found on page 49 of the rulebook under the section ‘Incomplete Ranks’.

Now look at Diagram E, the same 15 Warriors (in Horde formation) is charged by 10 models (5 x2) from the front. Are the Chaos Warriors in the 2nd rank still allowed to ‘slide’ so that they maximise the number of 2nd rank supporting attacks?

If you are able to supply rulebook references to your answers this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Morty

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/r555ung/Internet%20Play/hordeslide.jpg

T10
05-11-2010, 10:11
Now look at Diagram E, the same 15 Warriors (in Horde formation) is charged by 10 models (5 x2) from the front. Are the Chaos Warriors in the 2nd rank still allowed to ‘slide’ so that they maximise the number of 2nd rank supporting attacks?

I'd say no. The rules don't specifically allow for rearranging a unit that charges or has been charged. The reform manoeuvre allows you to re-arrange the models in the unit as you see fit, and a the manoeuvre can be performed in close combat after a round of combat.

I've not got the book with me at the moment so maybe someone can check this. You are required to maximise the number of models fighting. Is this the maximum number of models including supporting attacks, or is it just base-contact?

-T10

Lord_Elric
05-11-2010, 10:55
Im not under the impression that the back rank physicly slides as it depicts how to arrange incomplete ranks soreading the models out

which is correct incomplete ranks are always placed as centraly as possible to the unit not to one side the rank itself does not slide anywhere the BRB simply state that you ignore the empty space between the models,,,

Little Joe
05-11-2010, 10:58
The rules on page 49 descibe how to maximise base contact, this is not the case here. You fight with what can hit. If you win you can reform and get more attacks next time.
RAI I could see it but due to lack of written rules this is how it is.

mortiferum
05-11-2010, 11:22
I've not got the book with me at the moment so maybe someone can check this. You are required to maximise the number of models fighting. Is this the maximum number of models including supporting attacks, or is it just base-contact?

-T10

Found answer to this! Page 20 rulebook, third sentence under section titled 'Move Chargers' -

"As many models as possible from the two units must be brought into base contact."

There doesn't appear to be a requirement to maximise support attacks.

which is correct incomplete ranks are always placed as centraly as possible to the unit not to one side the rank itself does not slide anywhere the BRB simply state that you ignore the empty space between the models,,,

Hmm... I've tried looking for a reference to this, all I found that was relevent was on page 45, Removing Casulties, 3rd paragragh -

"...for purposes of game play we remove models from the rear rank of the unit."

It then goes on to clarify -

"If the unit is deployed in a single rank, then casulties are removed equally from both ends."

Would appear that you are free to remove casulties from rear rank however you like, unless the unit consists of a single rank? Is there a different reference somewhere else?

Lord_Elric
05-11-2010, 11:59
Found answer to this! Page 20 rulebook, third sentence under section titled 'Move Chargers' -

"As many models as possible from the two units must be brought into base contact."

There doesn't appear to be a requirement to maximise support attacks.

Hmm... I've tried looking for a reference to this, all I found that was relevent was on page 45, Removing Casulties, 3rd paragragh -

"...for purposes of game play we remove models from the rear rank of the unit."

It then goes on to clarify -

"If the unit is deployed in a single rank, then casulties are removed equally from both ends."

Would appear that you are free to remove casulties from rear rank however you like, unless the unit consists of a single rank? Is there a different reference somewhere else?

This is very true I guess id just glanced at the diagram next to incomplete ranks (the one with a single gobbo in its rear rank) and assumed this was how it was played.

i guess you are fully within your right to remove models from anywhere in the rear rank then if you choose to remove then from a single side then your only hindeering yourself as there nothing saying you can move the incomplete rank to get more supporting attacks