PDA

View Full Version : mighty empires question

BISION
05-11-2010, 22:18
hey guys long time lurker, but finally have a question that hasnt been anwsered 100x already on here =) anyway, im thinking of running a campaign with a few buds, and am looking for basicaly a starting point rules/organization wise. just somthing to get me kickstarted and base my own running of the campaign off of, and im wondering if the mighty empires package is a good investment. i already (tho dont know how) have a good few of the tiles, but more would be welcome. im wondering more what your opinions are ruleswise, and if its a good starting point for campaign development. thanks in advance =)

bluemage
05-11-2010, 23:10
It can be a good starting point if you're willing to spend the money. My friends and I got a might empires campaign going, and the most important thing is to make sure the players are dedicated to doing it. Our campaign slowed down because we didn't have a great time to play and get games in. People are busy and what not. But what killed it was one player continually putting off his games. He got challenged and had to play two players and decided he would play them both in one game as that would be to his advantage. However we had a hard time getting all three players together at one time and when we finally did he refused to play. It had been several weeks since the last game previous games took place and 8th was due to be released in a week or so. So we just ended the campaign.

We'll probably restart it soonish without said player. So just make sure your friends are dedicated and have the time to play. If someone isn't that interested to make the time to get their games in, run the campaign without them.

TheBloodyHand
05-11-2010, 23:31
Mighty Empires is great for the basic setup. The PDF file on GW's site for the older version of mighty empires is also very good. I found as I have developed my campaign I have used elements from both systems as well as my own creations. The newer version is a very trimmed down and streamlined, whereas the older version is extremely complicated. I went for middle of the road with a narrative campaign that incorporates a little of both with an overall story arc to get us started. We're starting up next weekend, so I will know more after the first encounter.

BISION
05-11-2010, 23:43
thanks for the thuoghts, and yea we have a dedicated enough group, we've done fairly large gothic campaigns a few times now, and all have been moderatly successful. and @thebloodyhand should make a thread when you get it goin =) i love following campaign threads=)