PDA

View Full Version : Tomb kings magic in 8th

friendsofrhomb
06-11-2010, 22:12
It seems that since 8th edition rolled around, it will become impossible for a small (500-1000pt) TK army to get ANY magic off at all.

Considering you are more than likely only going to have one Lich priest, so 2 power dice. Whilst your opponent will have dispel dice equal to the highest rolled on 2D6.

Can anyone tell me if the TK magic is still the same as described in the army book, or is there some errata that i've missed, because this seems to have killed TK for small battles.

Sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere, but I couldnt find it, and I havent played since 6th edition so I'm a little behind on the rules.

ZigZagMan
06-11-2010, 22:16
Buy the bound spell magic items, it allows you to use the power dice rolled, but yes the magic phase this edition seems to be focused more on 2000ish pt games

Chris_
07-11-2010, 09:02
The incantations work as explained in the FAQ on the GW homepage (similar to how it is in the AB). I would suggest taking Banner of the Undying Legion and Ruby Ring of Ruin to help somewhat. But TK at low points is even more difficult than at higher points (where we now scale better than other races). But the magic itself is kinda lackluster.

DeathlessDraich
07-11-2010, 15:06
It seems that since 8th edition rolled around, it will become impossible for a small (500-1000pt) TK army to get ANY magic off at all.

Considering you are more than likely only going to have one Lich priest, so 2 power dice. Whilst your opponent will have dispel dice equal to the highest rolled on 2D6.

Can anyone tell me if the TK magic is still the same as described in the army book, or is there some errata that i've missed, because this seems to have killed TK for small battles.

Sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere, but I couldnt find it, and I havent played since 6th edition so I'm a little behind on the rules.

As mentioned above by Chris, TK 'spells' are not treated as spells at all.
The FAQ states:
1) There is no miscast even on a double 1
2) Incantation dice is D6,2D6,3D6 for TK, Liche Priests and HLP respectively
3) The Power Pool dice is not used for Incantations at all.

Therefore using the common 7th ed lists of max Liche Priests works slightly better in 8th ed especially when low dice rolls are generated in the magic phase.
e.g. a roll of 3,2 or 3,3 = 3 dispel dice for the opponent to dispel 4 or 5 Incantations effectively guaranteeing 1 success.

<1500 pts= 2 Incantations or less - well TK has always been weak for small armies

Have a look at the Tactics section for the Wizards Hat on TK option which makes TK magic formidable