PDA

View Full Version : Best Mark for a chariot?

Krom The Eternal
07-11-2010, 00:43
What is the best mark for a chariot in 8th Ed? or is it best left unmarked?

Ratbeast
07-11-2010, 01:01
Khorne, increased damage out put

Skyth
07-11-2010, 01:11
Definitely khorne. 4 Extra attacks is quite tasty. With the changes to fear/terror, Slaanesh isn't that good. -1 to be hit from shooting isn't all that it's cracked up to be, and 6+ ward isn't all that useful.

Kevlar
07-11-2010, 01:17
Frenzy only gives the MODEL +1 attack.

Evil Hypnotist
07-11-2010, 01:59
I have found chariots to be quite effective just on their own, The extra points would be better spent on a mark for a unit, or a magic item/gift IMO

H33D
07-11-2010, 02:06

Nice opinion. There is a separate thread for this if you feel like debating marks and such.

Wakerofgods
07-11-2010, 02:58
What about the 6+ ward? With 4 wounds it must have over a 50% chance of averaging out to adding an extra wound.

I think 3 rolls on a dice gives you that 50% chance to roll a 6? Then factor in the fact that you can roll 6 more then once over 4 rolls and a 6+ ward might be like having 0.6 wounds.

4.6 wound chariot!

Ratbeast
07-11-2010, 08:10

And gets to make this so called 1 extra attack? horse or a man?

As far as i am concerned, each of the horses, plus the 2 troops on top each gain an extra attack, and i am sure many many others are in the same state of mind

Penitent Engine
07-11-2010, 09:08
That would make sense, if it weren't for the fact that in every other respect a Chariot is treated as a single model. Changing this to boost its damage output seems a bit unfair.

AMWOOD co
07-11-2010, 14:13
That would make sense, if it weren't for the fact that in every other respect a Chariot is treated as a single model. Changing this to boost its damage output seems a bit unfair.

The long, long thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279074) about split profile units and the Mark of Khorne. It's currently up to 20 pages, most of which is repitition of the same points continuously. Take any discussion about Mark of Khorne affecting chariots there.

Mark of Khorne affecting all elements is definately the best of the marks in the current environment. If that is not the case then I would say unmarked for the cost effectiveness.

bluemage
07-11-2010, 14:14
Well whether mark of khorne is good or not depends on how your gaming group is running the extra attacks. If its +1 attack total its not worth it. If its 4 extra attacks it is.

As for the other marks, I don't feel any of them are worth it.

Harwammer
07-11-2010, 14:44
I avoid khorne on multipart models; its just something else to argue about and I'm not into arguing at the table side. I'm not going to discuss rule or intent here, but 30 points certainly seems a pretty steep price to give a whole unit only +1A*. If you are not playing in an environment where all of the unit's attacks get +1 (i.e. you chose a single statline, or worse just a single crewman/steed) I wouldn't recommend the investment.

In an environment where you play both warriors (or even both warriors and both steeds) benefit from frenzy I'd still be tempted to advise you to keep your chariots 'cheap and sweet' (unmarked). There are units that get bigger benefit from frenzy than chariots and are less likely to lose combat/frenzy.

*yeah they get ITP and berserk charge too.

Kevlar
07-11-2010, 14:50
Well whether mark of khorne is good or not depends on how your gaming group is running the extra attacks. If its +1 attack total its not worth it. If its 4 extra attacks it is.

As for the other marks, I don't feel any of them are worth it.

Right there should be a red flag. Doesn't the mark of khorne seem a little "too good" compared to the other marks on a chariot? Well if you play the rule wrong of course it is!

Harwammer
07-11-2010, 15:08
Right there should be a red flag. Doesn't the mark of khorne seem a little "too good" compared to the other marks on a chariot? Well if you play the rule wrong of course it is!

Not really. Most infantry blocks will get +5 attacks from khorne (typically on str 5 or 6 attacks), wider units will get even more. It seems fair that for the same price the same mark will do the same thing when applied to the chariot.

The real red flag for me is the fact marks cost the same for most core/special units (regardless of size) despite the fact some marks are clearly better on some units than others. I'm not going to say its lazy book design as I believe there is a reason behind it, but balance wasn't the first thing in mind when marks and their prices were designed (I'm not saying balance was completely ignored either; look at the differences in price for MoT on caster and combat heroes).

jthdotcom
07-11-2010, 20:59
Whether its +4 attacks, or just +1 attack, I would say Khorne anyway for the Immunity to Psychology

BattleofLund
07-11-2010, 22:56
Whether its +4 attacks, or just +1 attack, I would say Khorne anyway for the Immunity to Psychology

Third of the cost, option to run away from charges, doesn't have to take Frenzy-control tests: Mark of Slaanesh.

But I run mine Unmarked. Will of Chaos is enough to keep them steady, and I can find better uses for sixty points.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
07-11-2010, 23:13
Yep I'd say unmarked as well, I've run the maths for a Khorne chariots with the full +4 attacks vs the same points unmarked chariots (when charging), and the khorne chariots (vs WS4 or less opponents) only cause an extra 3 S4 hits; they both cause the same number of S5 hits. Offset this with the extra survivability which the unmarked chariots posses due to more wounds, and I don't see that there is really a contest.

Havock
08-11-2010, 00:02

It's pretty expensive as a mark; nurgle is fine but with the biggest threat to cavalry coming from laser guided cannonballs...

Krom The Eternal
08-11-2010, 00:36
Hmm I think I will go Unmarked then I have an Idea for a sweet paint job on it Ill try to post in the project logs when i get around to painting it up! Thanks alot guys the comparison was a real help i agree the 30pts for a possible 3 attacks isnt worth it i could get something nice for them 30pts!