PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing an army

Penguni7
07-11-2010, 18:09
OK i haven't been on in a while and i left the world of 40k for a while but then i needed something to do so i'm starting back up. So could you guys answer some questions for me then?

Are there any places in either Vancouver WA or Portland OR that people who play warhammer 40k can play at (Battle Bunkers, Gaming Shops, ETC.) because one of the reasons I left is that the closest place to me Z Games closed. :(

Also which is a better choice as an competitive army Space Marines or Imperial Guard? If I choose Space Marines i would use Imperial Fists. and If you could give some suggestions for what to buy and any good tactics it would be helpful.

Awilla the Hun
07-11-2010, 18:16
Difficult to say which army is more "competitive" on the Marine/IG front. Consider picking the one you just "like" the best-in terms of background, painting, general "feel" (drown your enemies in waves of guns, or elite special forces), and so on. If you're an Imperial Fists fan-pick them. I don't know much about Imperial Fists tactics, though.

Terminus Est Gunner
07-11-2010, 18:22
An imperial fist army runs out of the vanilla marine dex, their chapter master Lysander is detailed in there I believe.

dragonet111
07-11-2010, 18:24
Lysander is not the chapter master just the captain of the 1st company the chapter master is Vladimir Pugh:D

Terminus Est Gunner
07-11-2010, 18:26
Oops my mistake >_<

Penguni7
07-11-2010, 18:37
OK so ill probaley choose IF just because i like the look and my pocket book isnt that big :D

Penguni7
07-11-2010, 18:38
any ideas on tactics or just run them as vinalla marines?

dragonet111
07-11-2010, 18:54
Fluffwise they love siege:D.

If it was my army I would choose vindicators and assault terminators. The vindicator open the fortification and the terminator storm the castle.

Polaria
07-11-2010, 18:58
any ideas on tactics or just run them as vinalla marines?

Basically what you need to do is get your hands on Codex: Space Marines first. Then go over to page 91 for Darnath Lysander special character and read that. You can (legally) play Imperial Fists two ways:

1) Take Darnath Lysander as your HQ choice and get Stubborn army-wide rule instead of Combat Tactics.

2) Take regular captain/librarian/whatever as your HQ choice and play them with Combat Tactics.

Both ways work fine and either way you'll be using Codex: Space Marines (aka "Vanilla Marines").