PDA

View Full Version : WoC 2000 points 8th ed tournament

Narcissus
07-11-2010, 20:23
Hi warseer,
I'm trying to put a WoC list together for a tournament next week. I am limited by the models I currently own and have assembled. I would love to add a hellcannon or another unit of warriors or marauders but don't have the models.

I'd really like some input on the magic items on each unit, marks for the units and characters, and strategies with each unit. I need advice mostly on kitting out the sorcerer lord and the BSB. Thanks!

Lords 345

Sorcerer lord 345
Level 4
Dispel scroll
Talisman of preservation
Ironcurse icon

Heroes 219

Exalted hero 219
BSB
Tzeentch
Steam of corruption
Talisman of endurance
Dragon Helm (yay or nay?)
Halberd
Favour of the gods

Core 648

29 marauders 177 (BSB goes here)
Shields
Tzeentch
Std mus

17 Chaos warriors 325 (Sorcerer lord goes here for +1 LD for army)
Halberd
Mus, std
Tzeentch
Standard of discipline

5 Marauder horsemen 86 (Guard rear, chase warmachines, assassinate characters, kill remaining units)
Musc
flails + javelins

5 warhounds 30 (screen, take table quarters)

5 warhounds 30

Special 741

6 trolls 270 (hold the center with marauders and warriors)

5 Chaos Knights 240 (Threaten warmachines, archers, flanks)
Musc
Std
Flaming banner

3 Dragon Ogres 231 (same as knights)
Great Weapon

TOTAL: 1938

I still have some points to spend. I could add a few to the knights unit or the warriors unit. I could also buff up my sorcerer lord some more and change the dispel scroll for some offensive items.

My strategy with this army is to form a strong center based around the warriors, marauders, and trolls. They will form a line. Dragon Ogres and Knights can help to anchor the flanks and threaten skirmishers and light units.

Sorcerer lord is mostly defensive but can hex the enemy when needed. BSB is survivable and can surprise opponents in combat with steam of corruption. I plan to use shadow to trade the two as needed. The sorcerer lord can benefit from standard of discipline so the trolls test on LD 9 with a reroll (I believe the FAQ says it can work like this, correct?).

Suggestions, changes, additions would be appreciated. I don't have lots more models to add to this list (ie no more big units or hellcannons). I can add more characters or beef up the units a little more.

Thanks!

Eta
08-11-2010, 11:16
Drop the Banner of Eternal Flame from the knights, it does not work with their magical weapons.
I'd add another knight to the unit so their efficiency does not drop too fast when they take a casualty or two.
A champion in the warrior unit could help your sorcerer lord against killy characters.

Greetings
Eta

NixonAsADaemonPrince
08-11-2010, 11:35
Yep I'd agree with Eta on those things.

I'd also go Khorne rather than Tzeentch on the Warriors as they have Halberds, or get them the Banner of Rage (does sacrifice your ld9, up to you really).

I'd get Khorne on the Knights as well, and try and boost their number a bit.

Other than that the list looks good, good luck with the tournament.

logan054
08-11-2010, 17:36
Sorcerer lord 345
Level 4
Dispel scroll
Talisman of preservation
Ironcurse icon

How about 3rd eye of tzeentch or conjoined homuncious and upgrade the dispel scroll to a feedback scroll, how about a enchanted shield as well?

Exalted hero 219
BSB
Tzeentch
Steam of corruption
Talisman of endurance
Dragon Helm (yay or nay?)
Halberd
Favour of the gods

You could do or you could give him armour of destiny, while his basic save does drop he does now have a 3+ wardsave, with that in mind I would find a great weapon pretty tempting.

17 Chaos warriors 325 (Sorcerer lord goes here for +1 LD for army)
Halberd
Mus, std
Tzeentch
Standard of discipline

I would give them banner of rage, while you lose the leadership 9 you still have your BSB, your warriors are just as good as khorne warriors and you get to keep that 5+ wardsave against warmachines. I also agree that a champion would be a good idea just for the challenge protection alon.

5 Chaos Knights 240 (Threaten warmachines, archers, flanks)
Musc
Std
Flaming banner

I tend to agree with the others, drop the standard and put a extra knight in, I also agree MoK would be a very nice on this unit.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
08-11-2010, 20:12
On the Armour of Destiny for the BSB, its 10pts more than your current combo, and is only better at -3AS or more. I'm not against it, but again its personal preference.

I agree with the ideas for the Sorcerer though.

logan054
09-11-2010, 00:24
Well i guess it depends what you are up against but with the eye of the gods role I would think its handy to have a decent wardsave, remember its not only better against -3 save but anything that negates armour or KB.

Narcissus
09-11-2010, 03:31
Thanks for all of the input!

I meant to add the enchanted shield to the sorcerer lord. Will add that in.

Interesting idea with the banner of rage on the warriors. That would increase their damage output (additional attack for the front rank only I assume?) and they will likely be charging anything within range anyways. I just realized last night that with halberds they now have to use halberds in every combat. Handweapons and shields or halberds? Frenzy + halberds + 6 wide + champion = 25 WS5 S5 attacks!

I am not a big fan of MoK. Might be an idea on the knights though. Extra damage if they get a charge in. Is baiting frenzied troops as big of a deal as it was in 7th edition? How about the gleaming pendant for the knights?

I might add a champion to the warriors to give the option to avoid challenges.

How about the lore of shadows on the level 4 caster. It would be nice to have a magic missile for pesky skirmishers. Any thoughts on changing to Tzeentch?

NixonAsADaemonPrince
09-11-2010, 12:00
I do love frenzied halberd warriors, they are just such good can openers.

Baiting isn't a problem that much any more, especially if you give them the Gleaming Pennant as you say.

I use Lore Shadows for my Sorcerer and I do very well with it, its a great support Lore, all the hexes help a lot, though it doesn't have a magic missile so I'm not sure where you got that from? Tzeencth is always good as well.

logan054
09-11-2010, 12:02
Oh yes, the banner of rage is very nice on chaos warriors, remember it also boosts you wizard, you could actually give him a SoM just so he doesn't lose you any attack power being in the front rank, Its also amusing when people try and kill a wizard with a 2+save, A3 S5, I have had my wizard challenged out before and people have been like WTF, i just killed by a wizard! the other option for your wizard is a blood skull pendant.

Remember the big thing with frenzy now is you only charge if you fail a leadership test, your leadership 8 (9 with banner of leadership abuse) and getting a reroll.

I think caster wise its a toss up between lore of fire and shadow, the one thin I found when using LoT was the limited range was a problem, if I had the extra range of a fireball I could have taken out some ranged attacks before they did any real damage, I think lore of shadow has the samw problem.

Narcissus
10-11-2010, 04:34
The lore of fire doesn't seem to get much love. It has some allure in that it can deal with archers, skirmishers, and light cavalry. I feel that my army can definitely handle itself in hand to hand. My last game they had trouble with the mobility and shooting power of dark elves. I feel like some magic missile and damage potential from magic could really help... The hexes and augments can make a warrior army devastating in hand to hand. Just concerned with getting there in tact...

If I go with MoT and Frenzy banner on the warriors then I will probably keep the BSB in there most of the time. An advantage with shadow is that I can use the side effect to pop the sorcerer lord and BSB between the two units as I need to.

BSB with halberd, dragon helm, Talisman of endurance, MoT, steam of corruption, and in the frenzy unit is dishing out 5 S6 attacks + 2D6 S3 attacks with a 4+ ward save and 3+ armour save. He should be able to handle himself in a challenge (as I figure people will definitely be trying to assassinate him and he will likely get into a challenge in some form most games and BSBs are often seen are relatively easy pickings). I've thought about adding the potion of foolhardiness to give him one more attack in a turn that he charges for a deadly 6 S6 + 2D6 attacks. Expensive but durable and nasty and can help to tip the balance in a close round of combat.

Is the BSB too tricked out at that point though. He is really expensive for a character on foot who may not always get to pick his combats. A BSB may draw opponent characters in though...

I really wish I could put a halberd or great weapon on sorcerers. They would be tanks!

Thanks again!

Narcissus
13-11-2010, 02:17
Here is the final list I have settled on for just now. I will update this after the tournament with how it has worked. I played today against Dark Elves with this list. Magic was a wash. We both did little damage except in miscasts. Trolls ate a unit of 25 spear elves and overran into cold one knights that they eventually destroyed. Knights charged a unit of corsairs in the front and ran them down. Knights were then destroyed by a chariot. Warriors deployed on the flank (Dawn attack) and eventually ran down a unit of black guard on turn 5 (breaking them with rerollable LD 9 Stubborn). A crushing victory. Only lost completely 5 dogs and the knight unit while killing all but the chariot and 2 units of crossbowmen.

Here is the final list:

Lords 355 (17.75%)
Sorcerer lord 355
Level 4
Dispel scroll
Talisman of preservation
Ironcurse icon
Enchanted shield
Shadow

Heroes 214 (10.7%)

Exalted hero 214
BSB