PDA

View Full Version : FW Phoenix vs Void Phoenix

Jokaero!
07-11-2010, 20:35
I can't be the only one who is planning on using the Eldar Phoenix from Forge World to make a Dark Eldar Voidraven Bomber and have a few questions....

1. What is the difference between the normal Phoenix and Void Phoenix? Is it that the Void has some funky rune detailing on the hull and nothing more? I can't see anything more.

2. Anyone put one of these together before? I haven't bought a large resin model from Forge World before; I'm a good modeller but is there an FAQ around that would be good to read first?

3. I guess I need to buy a Valkyrie base right?

Thanks in advance all.

cuda1179
07-11-2010, 21:04
THere are a few differences in the models that I have noticed. The tail fins on the Void Raven are different and more "Dark Eldar" looking. THe void raven also has a twin linked Starcannons instead of a single pulse laser.

Ace Rimmer
07-11-2010, 21:10
1) The Normal phoenix has 1 fuselage mounted Pulse Laser, the void dragon has 2 fuselage mounted star cannons.

2)resin is exceptionally delicate. For the love of god, don't drop it or try and bend it without heating it carefully first. You probably will have to heat and bend the wings back into shape, as FW resin kits tend to get stored at jaunty angles and warp in my experience.

3)I'm pretty sure, both phoenix models, the nightwing, and the DE Raven all have standard flying base mounts (i.e. the slot in cylindrical one as opposed to the new ball mount) I don't think the Vampire's have base mounts.

If I won the lottery, I'd totally by Vampire Hunter's and use them as Voidravens....

Sildani
08-11-2010, 01:21
All FW flyers come with a Valkyrie stand. You'll just have to figure out how to install it, since it has no slot to accept it.

As for the kit itself, other differences: the Dragon has a large gemstone between the tails, and a female crew. The rear crewmember is wearing a very cool mask I've not seen anywhere else. Both Phoenixi are practically one piece, even the crew are molded in place. As resin kits go, its pretty easy to work with.

AndrewGPaul
08-11-2010, 08:58
All FW flyers come with a Valkyrie stand. You'll just have to figure out how to install it, since it has no slot to accept it.

That's easily done with a drillbit the same diameter as the thickness of the 'flanges' of the flight stand, and possibly a Dremel with a cutting or grinding attachment. I added a slot for that style base on a Thunderbolt in about 5 minutes.

Alternatively, you get a little widget with the Valkyrie Sky Talon which goes on the bottom of a Tauros so you can model the whole thing in flight. Perhaps people should petition Forge World to make a universal adaptor like it.

Hendarion
08-11-2010, 09:10
Err... since when? Eldar Nightwings come with a normal flying base which also Jetbikes or Falcons have. I think both Phoenix variants too.
Since when shall they have a Valkyrie stand?

Personally I'm using glass stirring rods. They're cool, as long as you want them to be, stable and translucent.

Cry of the Wind
08-11-2010, 11:54
Err... since when? Eldar Nightwings come with a normal flying base which also Jetbikes or Falcons have. I think both Phoenix variants too.
Since when shall they have a Valkyrie stand?

Personally I'm using glass stirring rods. They're cool, as long as you want them to be, stable and translucent.

They started shipping all FW flyers with the new flight stand almost as soon as it came out. If you got one before then it wouldn't have had anything (at least my Lightning didn't come with anything but my more recent Arvus purchase did have one).

Hendarion
08-11-2010, 12:05
Hu? I've seen the Nightwing-package of a friend lately and it had a normal flying stand and not a Valkyrie stand!? Maybe imperial flyers come with it, but Eldar either don't or he got cheated ;)

Cry of the Wind
08-11-2010, 15:09
Interesting, I just checked the website and it mentions the plastic stand in some flyer model descriptions but not all of them. This could be just because they never bothered to update them but I also seem to recall an old FW Newsletter or something that stated they would include the new stand with all flyers. Another friend of mine got a Thunderbolt and it came with one (even if there is no place to attach it).

eyescrossed
08-11-2010, 15:22
Hmm... I want to field a Razorwing Jetfighter, but forking out so much mony for the FW Nightwing? Err...

Any conversions you can think of?