PDA

View Full Version : The Piscean Warrior?

BigRob
07-11-2010, 19:56
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Limited_Release_-_Piscean_Warrior.jpg

So this guy, this is about the only image there is of him, even in the catalogue pics he is in this pose. I am intrigued by the space fish man and if he existed in the rules of Rogue Trader (which I do not have a copy of at the moment)

So, anyone actually got this miniature, anyone ever seen it, anyone got better pictures of it, or pictures of it painted up?

qsd
07-11-2010, 21:00
A few here:
http://lostinthewarp.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/ld1.jpg

painted: http://talesfromthemaelstrom.blogspot.com/2010/08/battle-report-using-book-of-arbitrator.html

Utred
08-11-2010, 00:55
I am intrigued by the space fish man and if he existed in the rules of Rogue Trader (which I do not have a copy of at the moment.

I still play RT (and 3rd ed wfb) with friends from time to time. Never seen that model in the "flesh" so to speak. I don't personally remember anything about them post RT release in any of the WDs. What I don't have is a copy of Book of the Astronomican. Happily be corrected.

I *think* it was just a single model released prior to the RT book release. As such I don't think they have any background.

TimLeeson
08-11-2010, 04:02
I am lucky enough to own a Piscean Warrior. One of my favourite obscurities of 40k - a race that never went past it's only single model! To my knowledge there is no backround for it. I use mine in a pirate army that consists of all manner of xenos, humans ect.

BigRob
08-11-2010, 09:37
That picture of him in the blogged battle report is excellent, you can start to see the detail when he is painted (I didn't realise he was wearing a jacket for example) but it looks like an interesting model (with things like the sword, bolter and the rebreather thats connected to his gills!)

If you have the model any chance of some more pics, especially the other side since he always seems to be facing the left.

Easy E
08-11-2010, 13:39
No fluff in the RT book, Compendium, or Compilation.

Sorry.

axiom
24-11-2010, 07:13
Here's some pics of my Piscean Warrior. It's a very cool mini - one of my favourite ever RT figures :)

Wishing
24-11-2010, 07:52
I really like that "graveyard of abandoned races" diorama earlier. Truly brilliant idea. Anyone know what the little fox in the background of the 40k side represents?

AndrewGPaul
24-11-2010, 08:38
It's a Gyrinx - a large psychic cat.

I've got an Ambull, in white metal no less. Someone wrote a Journal article that put Ambulls into Necromunda, so they dug out the moulds and offered them for sale for a while. Took me a good few minutes to explain to the Mail Order guy what I was talking about; I think he had to run off and get a copy of the Journal himself before he understood.

axiom
24-11-2010, 08:44
Yeah, the 'fox' is the Gyrinx - I've got one of them too :)

I do need to track down an Ambull and Jokero though!

Pontiff
24-11-2010, 18:52
Hey all

I dont often post here but one of my fellow bloggers mentioned my piscean had been spotted!

I've got one of these along with a few ambulls and jokearo as i've a penchant for very old school 40k

The piscean was a one off from the initial run of rogue trader models which are fairly odd and quite disparate (i've since managed to aquire the whole run) and include some oddities such as a space pirate which is simply a warhammer barbarian with a blaster sculpted in place of where his sword used to be (i'm told it was a hasty conversion by then studio manager Alan Merret that was then cast up).

Piscean warriors again might have been something of a joke (40k was far less po faced back in the 80s) and the name on the tag of 'sarrdhuin' - or some such - is most likely *supposed to have been read as 'sardine'. :)

Ambulls were allegedly a way of shoehorning Umbre Hulks from D&D into 40k and the jokearo were (so i've been told by folk there at the time) a way of putting the Judge Dredd licenced ape figures in as 40k was both designed to be a 'catch all' sci fi rule set with an optional 'imperium' background and was also chronically short of miniatures (its why a lot of minis from other ranges pop up in early pics).

Anyway heres some pics of my piscean and few other oddities/rarities that those who havnt seen our blog may not have seen before.

Wishing
24-11-2010, 21:04
Cool. I guess 40k's early love of Judge Dredd lives on in the Arbites, as much as they can be said to still live on. :)

Pontiff
24-11-2010, 21:35
It was always my understanding that the Adeptus Arbites and the profiles for them etc were again a way of intergrating both the judge dredd minis and also to provide a miniature rules set for games in mega city 1. In fact the original text supporting the adeptus arbites even called them 'judges' :)

The crossover is pretty prevalent, you'll notice that the early 'mercenary' miniature 'abaddon' (later listed as 'imperial ground combat trooper') is essentially a Souther from 2000ads Rogue Trooper (again the story is that the mini was sculpted for the Rogue trooper range and then citadel lost the 2000ad licence so put him in with 40k releases).

Early blister packs of imperial guard and space pirates frequently had a miniature or two from the 2000ad perps or muties range in them - I know that happened to a few packs I'd bought in the 80s.

(i'm actually in the process of trying to collect the 2000ad range at the moment - i've got the Rogue Trooper releases all bar two of the 'rogue' minis.)

Oh and back on topic... i use my piscean warrior as an alien mercenary as part of a small sensei knight warband. We pretty much consider him to be a Kroot stats wise but with an ability to ignore water terrain modifiers.

Pontiff
26-11-2010, 20:01
Some better pics here of the piscean and also of the very rare (and frankly shoddy ) 'space pirate'.

Goose
27-11-2010, 02:16
I am a Pisces, I want one of these. It would be a great model for an Archon court, or just general anything cool. I think the codex mentions any aliens can be a member, it just mentions the preferred and normal one. I cannot find any for sale online, though.

The Inevitable One
27-11-2010, 04:04
Here's some pics of my Piscean Warrior. It's a very cool mini - one of my favourite ever RT figures :)

Are you sure they are your pictures and not someone elses? Because I found the same pictures on two other websites. One of which had the same exact file names as the ones you have.

Pontiff
27-11-2010, 10:37
I am a Pisces, I want one of these. It would be a great model for an Archon court, or just general anything cool. I think the codex mentions any aliens can be a member, it just mentions the preferred and normal one. I cannot find any for sale online, though.

Piscean warriors are rarer than panda sperm. One comes up on ebay every six months or so if you're lucky and usually goes for about 40 - 60.

Along with the Jokearo, Gyrinx and 'death ferret' its probably one of the rarest RT models in circulation in any numbers. Personally I'm still looking for the unreleased first ever tyranid warrior but i've never known any one who actually has one of those :(

Fulgrim's Gimp
27-11-2010, 10:50
Interestingly GW used to do the Judge Dredd rp game and citadel the miniatures. The 2000 AD influence still lives on in later models like the Dark Emissary ( Slough Feg from Slaine) also the Steel Legion troopers seem to have Nort like equipment and Souther symbols on them.

Pontiff
27-11-2010, 11:01
Well I mean the original foot notes to Rogue Trader imply that it was written to allow you to refight *any* sci fi skirmishes. The whole Imperium background was pretty much an optional world to play within but not the purpose of the game if you read Ricks notes. With that in mind and given how influentional 2000ad was for sci fi at the time (and that GW had the licenses for both Rogue Trooper, Judge Dredd and 2000ad since around 1984 and sold 2000ad shirts in the shops) it was probably inevitable. A lot of the early RT book seems purposely derivative to allow you to do these things (remember tanglefoot grenades.. Rogue Trooper 'biowire' for sure :) )

Ir probably helped that most the senior design studio managers in the 90s and early 2000s were *massive* comics fans!

axiom
27-11-2010, 18:35
Are you sure they are your pictures and not someone elses? Because I found the same pictures on two other websites. One of which had the same exact file names as the ones you have.

I'm not entirely sure:

a) why you would think someone would post pics of models which are not theirs;
b) why it's a problem;
c) why you wouldn't think the same person might have posted the same pics under different username on other forums
d) why I feel iritated enough to proove it.

Either way, here is a 'proof' pic of my Piscean Warrior in front of your post. Just so you know it is my figure. I've even called it a different filename so you can feel better ;)

axiom
27-11-2010, 18:36
Personally I'm still looking for the unreleased first ever tyranid warrior but i've never known any one who actually has one of those :(

I do know a guy who has one, but he's definitely not selling. In all honesty, it does have the cool rare RT value, but it's not the best figure GW made at the time!

slade the slaughter
27-11-2010, 18:53
I want one!

But would i pay alot of money for it? Nah im might to convert or grennstuff my own version tho.

The Inevitable One
27-11-2010, 19:35
I'm not entirely sure:

a) why you would think someone would post pics of models which are not theirs;
b) why it's a problem;
c) why you wouldn't think the same person might have posted the same pics under different username on other forums
d) why I feel iritated enough to proove it.

Either way, here is a 'proof' pic of my Piscean Warrior in front of your post. Just so you know it is my figure. I've even called it a different filename so you can feel better ;)

I appologize.

a) Some people actucally do steal pictures and call it their own.
b) Because people who actually do the work deserve the credit.
c) The odds on that... (it was not a forum)
d) You did not have to prove it other than a simple "yes, they are mine". I don't see why you had to go to that length to prove it.

Anyways, again, I apologize.

ghost21
27-11-2010, 20:38
ok i have to find one and a snakeman

axiom
27-11-2010, 21:02
I appologize.

a) Some people actucally do steal pictures and call it their own.
b) Because people who actually do the work deserve the credit.
c) The odds on that... (it was not a forum)
d) You did not have to prove it other than a simple "yes, they are mine". I don't see why you had to go to that length to prove it.

Anyways, again, I apologize.

Good points, it hadn't really occurred to me that people might post pics as their own. An apology from me for the tone of that post.

Out of interest, where had you seen the pics before?

The Inevitable One
27-11-2010, 22:06
Good points, it hadn't really occurred to me that people might post pics as their own. An apology from me for the tone of that post.

Out of interest, where had you seen the pics before?

It is all cool. With regards to where I found the pictures, I found them on the German version of Lexicanum and Bell of Lost Souls. By the way it is a good model (painting and all).

http://wh40k.lexicanum.de/wiki/Piscean_Warrior
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=11125

Chem-Dog
27-11-2010, 23:10
Piscean warrior? A 40K equivalent to they mythical WHFB Fishmen? :eyebrows:

Mentat
28-11-2010, 16:02
I have a Death Ferret, is it worth anything?

Krym
06-02-2011, 05:07
Oh wow, I have one of these!

The slotta-base tab reads SAHARDUIN rather than PISCEAN WARRIOR as printed on the adverts. (Although for a while I misread it and was Googling SANARDUIN and getting nothing.) I remember buying this for 70p back in '87 though not sure why as I collected Citadel's fantasy range rather than the 40K stuff. Guess I thought it looked good. (I veered into buying Eldar because I thought they looked stylish too.)

So I've dug my old miniatures out to rekindle my hobby of painting them and am looking for funds to buy Games Workshop paints so may pop the critter up on Ebay if he can fetch a good price.

/six year old bump apology

CordovaLemonSlayer
08-10-2013, 18:58
Sorry for the bump, but would anyone be willing to sell one of these miniatures? I have Been looking for this guy for quite some time now, and figured I'd give this thread a shot. I would love to own this miniatures, as it is the last miniature from the "40k First Release" flyer, that I don't own yet. Let me know, Thanks!

yabbadabba
08-10-2013, 19:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTHn2tHhcI

childsoldier
09-10-2013, 01:15

Warseer needs a like button just for that!

CordovaLemonSlayer
09-10-2013, 04:12

This may just be the coolest video I have ever seen.

The Dude
09-10-2013, 05:50
Do not resurrect years old threads. There is a specific sub-forum for wanted ads (http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?21-Wanted-Ads).

Thread Closed.

The Dude
The Warseer Inquisition