PDA

View Full Version : vampires on hellsteeds

Sexiest_hero
08-11-2010, 05:07
I plan on putting 2 lords and 3 vampire heroes in one flying unit to cause mayhem back field. This will be fun, but will they have enough hitting power using only the dread knight vampire power? One will have the lore of beast for unit buffs.

TheShadowCow
08-11-2010, 07:15
Dreadknights have to ride their Barded Nightmares, and cannot be mounted on Hellsteeds.

Kalandros
08-11-2010, 07:53
FAQ changed this, TheShadowCow.

And sorry Sexiest_hero, but the rules are clear, Flyers cannot join Flyers.
So your vampires cannot form one unit. One high elf player was pissed to learn he couldn't make a 6 Great Eagle deathstar with lots of front rank protection and 2nd rank support attacks. (2 Princes, 4 Nobles)

Sexiest_hero
08-11-2010, 15:37
but hellsteeds count as Cavalry, well warbeasts but when you mount them they count as Cavalry

Kriegschmidt
08-11-2010, 15:45
but hellsteeds count as Cavalry, well warbeasts but when you mount them they count as Cavalry

Are you sure they count as Cavalry when you mount them? Don't they stay as Warbeasts...?

NixonAsADaemonPrince
08-11-2010, 16:10
Are you sure they count as Cavalry when you mount them? Don't they stay as Warbeasts...?

P84, when used as mounts Warbeasts become Cavalry.

And I don't think the rules are crystal clear, it does say that a character can't join a unit of flyers, but does this stretch to other flying characters? If so, could a flying character join a unit (say infantry for example) which has another flying character in it?

Even when used on their own though, I've found Vampires on Hellsteeds to be very effective, using them as a very fast and manoeuvrable army which can hit hard (especially with Lore of Beasts buffs).

On a related note, this is under the Fly special rule, P70:

"Flying Cavalry
Some units, such as the noble Bretonnian Pegasus Knights, have the Flying Cavalry special rule-a particularly effective type of flying unit. In rules terms, flying cavalry are treated as Fast Cavalry with the Fly special rule. See page 68 for more details on Fast Cavalry."

So does any type of Cavalry with the Fly special rule counts as Fast Cavalry, like Vampire on Hellsteeds and Tzeentch Disc Riders, or is it only models or units with the Flying Cavalry special rule?

Cheers.

Lord_Elric
08-11-2010, 17:26
P84, when used as mounts Warbeasts become Cavalry.

And I don't think the rules are crystal clear, it does say that a character can't join a unit of flyers, but does this stretch to other flying characters? If so, could a flying character join a unit (say infantry for example) which has another flying character in it?

Even when used on their own though, I've found Vampires on Hellsteeds to be very effective, using them as a very fast and manoeuvrable army which can hit hard (especially with Lore of Beasts buffs).

On a related note, this is under the Fly special rule, P70:

"Flying Cavalry
Some units, such as the noble Bretonnian Pegasus Knights, have the Flying Cavalry special rule-a particularly effective type of flying unit. In rules terms, flying cavalry are treated as Fast Cavalry with the Fly special rule. See page 68 for more details on Fast Cavalry."

So does any type of Cavalry with the Fly special rule counts as Fast Cavalry, like Vampire on Hellsteeds and Tzeentch Disc Riders, or is it only models or units with the Flying Cavalry special rule?

Cheers.

only units that have the flying cavalry special rule (currently bret pegasus knight are the only ones i belive).
Character almost never count as fast cavalry unless the mount has the special rule or something else in the army book permits it

on the OT a flying character can join units that are non flying however he has to move at land speed if he does so..

its a what comes first question really

as the characters cant fly when in a non flying unit can 2 character with fly join together in a unit and then be unable to fly ???

personaly i would say they could join but not fly whilst forming a unit

but if the Flying rules are absolute about it then no? however the way round it would be to have 1 or 2 vampires mounted on normal steeds and then the other vampires would join that unit

Kalandros
08-11-2010, 17:47
Part of the model has Fly, thus its a unit of flyer (characters are units of their own). Flyers can't join flyers, so no units of hellsteeds or great eagles with heroes and lords.