PDA

View Full Version : older army book

dooms33ker
08-11-2010, 05:41
Hey guys, Do you think its ok (at least in friendly games) to use the old 6th edition vampire counts army book? I know its been replaced and all but having an army with TONS of zombies I just don't see myself using the new book. I also like the old blood-line flavor of the previous book. Any thoughts? Would using the older book unbalance gameplay?

Ratbeast
08-11-2010, 06:01
Hey guys, Do you think its ok (at least in friendly games) to use the old 6th edition vampire counts army book? I know its been replaced and all but having an army with TONS of zombies I just don't see myself using the new book. I also like the old blood-line flavor of the previous book. Any thoughts? Would using the older book unbalance gameplay?

bloodlines in the old ways were awesome, blood dragons ftw

However the book over all is less competive compared to the new one, if you dont mind losing, then what ever floats your boat lol i would have no issues playing older books

meneroth
08-11-2010, 06:06
100% depends on who your playing against. i would be cool with it, others may not, tournaments probably wouldnt allow it though.

dooms33ker
08-11-2010, 20:33
My list would have a ton of zombies plus a neromancer lord and vampire count at 2400 pts.

I like most of the new book but having 80 zombies, (and only 20 skellies) my list would be really uncompetitive using the latest rules.

S3/T3 zombies that can pursue FTW!

Considering Tomb kings and Brettonians still use 6th ed rules I don't think this would break the game...

RMacDeezy
08-11-2010, 21:31
as long as i can use the 6th ed hordes of chaos book ;-) none of this "chaos sorceror of nurgle with the blood of tzeentch leading an army of khorne chaos warriors" blasphemy! mono-god daemons and mortals ftw

Charistoph
09-11-2010, 17:22
as long as i can use the 6th ed hordes of chaos book ;-) none of this "chaos sorceror of nurgle with the blood of tzeentch leading an army of khorne chaos warriors" blasphemy! mono-god daemons and mortals ftw

Oooh, you could technically even add a melee Skirmisher force that has Ranks in close combat for your Specials, too. Minotaurs, too.

Mortogul
10-11-2010, 12:50
Try the Army List from the Invocation from VampireCounts.net. The Bloodline Army List are Fun.

PeG
10-11-2010, 14:10
I will play against anything that is at least slightly reasonable (at least once).

Usually later versions of the army books are stronger then the previous ones and I cant see a reason for not playing a 6th ed list (using 6th ed point costs)provided that I can get a quick update on special rules etc.

Malorian
10-11-2010, 14:13
I was actually wondering the same thing.

I always wanted to run a Lahmian army but hated the models until the new book came out... and then bloodlines were gone! :(

As others have said the book isn't as powerful as the new one, and although they will complain when you raise a new unit of skeleton behind their lines, or when they learn your lord has 5 wounds, those complaints will stop when they crush you across the line.

dooms33ker
11-11-2010, 18:06
One thing I overlooked was how bad bat swarms from the old edition would be in 8th edition (due to the swarm unstable rules).

Aside from better zombies and bloodlines I do see some silver lining: master necromancers. You could take both a Vamp Count for fighting and a master necromancer for magic :D

but ultimately since the newest - and overall more powerful - book got gimped in 8th the last book would probably do even worse. :(

I'm getting tired of GW powercreep....

Kisanis
12-11-2010, 02:25
Its this same logic that makes me miss 4th edition 40k IG doctrines (ok its the fantasy board, but its the same concept)

I wouldn't have an issue with it. I personally think they were taking VC in a great direction in 6th, then stopped, did an about face, and assumed VC players were simpletons with the new book. better suited to 8th? sure, but completely lacking that old VC madness? Absolutely!

AMWOOD co
12-11-2010, 03:03
The fractions within Chaos are also kind of different. Anyone remember Daemonic Animosity? Daemons of different gods were worse than Orcs and Goblins for wanting to kill eachother. Now they practically hold hands (and who knows what else those Slaaneshi ones do...)

Same applies to Chaos Warriors. In 4th and 6th (I don't know about 5th), the heroes of the Warriors of Chaos would never join a unit that had the hero of another god present. In 6th, since units could be marked, they wouldn't join those units, either. 6th also had the previously mentioned mono-god or Undivided led armies.

Welcome to 7th where the Chosen of Khorne will protect the Sorceror Lord of Tzeentch... okay, when did they start getting along?

dooms33ker
12-11-2010, 03:31
Its this same logic that makes me miss 4th edition 40k IG doctrines (ok its the fantasy board, but its the same concept)

I wouldn't have an issue with it. I personally think they were taking VC in a great direction in 6th, then stopped, did an about face, and assumed VC players were simpletons with the new book. better suited to 8th? sure, but completely lacking that old VC madness? Absolutely!

They did this with 40k chaos as well... I think GW means to streamline everything...

Also the vampire counts models from 7th totally lost all their charm. I thought Von Carsteins were supposed to be undead aristocrats? They look awfully monstrous in the new book. The new Von Carsteins look too much like blood dragons with their armor and visage. All just my opinion though, I'm sure some really love the new models.

vinush
13-11-2010, 09:30
i'll be honest. I stopped using my VC army when the latest book came out. I hate what they did with the army.

Korv
13-11-2010, 10:12
in friendly games, why not?
just add a little flavour to the game!