PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Models for Vampire Counts

NerZuhl
08-11-2010, 10:11
So I am thinking of starting vampire counts. Namely because I love zombies. Unfortunately I hate vampires. But figured some creative modeling would allow me to avoid it completely. (I will be modeling the vampire as a liche)

I have heard that using models from other lines of warhammer models for zombies is perfectly fine. Even so far as using large models to displace smaller ones (in rear ranks only). But I want to take this a step further.

Would anyone give me trouble if I modeled up some Chaos knights as zombies and used them as my black knights unit?

Also, has anyone seen some or has some great zombified units?

And do you think a theme of gathering troops/units from other armies would be a good one? (not using their rules but count as zombies, grave guard, or black knights)

Kallas
08-11-2010, 10:31
In reality (in my odd perpective of it anyway), a vampire that has travelled would end up with a mix of dead things in their units.

Say for example, the vamp lair is in the northen end of the empire. That means the vamp would come into contact with potentially empire, chaos warriors/norse, beastmen, orcs and gobbos, the odd orge, and sometimes rarely a elf or dwarf.

So if you had good reasoning and make it obvious whats what, then it's all good...

Edit: Same reasoning for any nercomancy user they tend to raise whats in their area in fact.

Botjer
08-11-2010, 11:40
why do people say "will i get into trouble?"

from who? the police? gw lawyers who monitor all gamingtables world wide? lynched by a crazed bunch of gw purist flagellants?

just make it obvious(like talking to the person you are playing with and explaining. it actually does work) what the unit represents and you are ready to go.

Night_Dragon
08-11-2010, 12:19
You could easily paint chaos knights in an old/dead theme and use them as black knights, no problems there. If you wanted something a little more involved, here is one of the best and easiest black knight conversions I know of.
http://z4.invisionfree.com/The_Blood_Keep/index.php?showtopic=5448
I am not sure if it would work with chaos knights, I don't know how they are formed. It works a charm with empire knights, though.

For zombie models, I know Mantic Games has a big set of them, and they look good. Haven't seen them in person, and I don't know how they scale vs GW models.

NerZuhl
08-11-2010, 12:33
Tournaments are what I was referring too. Also, having people flat out refuse playing because they don't like it. (there are some crazy model fanatics out there)

The reason I ask is from a past experience. I had modeled a small Imperial Guard army (1000pts) as zombies for 40k (I like zombies). Basically combining zombies with IG models, all WISYWG. And I wasn't allowed to enter a tournament because of it. And I had to deal with people giving me grief about the fact there are no zombies in 40k that aren't nurgle (I didn't model it with nurgle or chaos symbols) and I couldn't explain the army fluff wise. So I don't want that kind of headache again. And as much as I would love a choice in where and who I play, I don't. I only get 1 day a year to play, and it is with strangers. If this isn't feasible I will simply stick with my old standard 40k armies, since this was the only army that would interest me in fantasy.

nagash66
08-11-2010, 12:39
I was always very fond of this one:
http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=eng_eng_msd_chs_141_000

but its never in stock.

Disposable Hero
08-11-2010, 12:43
For GW tourneys you are out of luck, but I would love to play against your army.

Botjer
08-11-2010, 12:50
that imperial guard army sounds so sweet :D id play you anyday if i could ^^

well how about this, start posting pics of your armeis, say here, as a project log. collect alot of appraise and feedback. then im guessing the club that has the tournament has a forum. post a link to your project log here on warseer and soon they'd be begging to see you.

now that i think of it... there is actually undead in 40k that arnt nurgle...

legion of the damned are undead. also if i remember correctly, way back there was a deathworld plant that made its victims into zombies.

i used to be involved game mods and gw purists are probably the most annoying and stupid crowd out there. just to **** them off i made a bullpup(magasine behind the trigger) bolter. and people went into a rage.

but guess what, there is actually a 40k mini with a bullpup bolter...

Botjer
08-11-2010, 12:50
oh gw tourneys can only turn you away if you arnt using gw models, not if you are using them in a new way.

Wil Grand
08-11-2010, 12:52
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440108a&prodId=prod1550008 ?

Domandi
08-11-2010, 12:58
There are some fantastic older models from 4th/5th edition. The necromancers would work well, and there is a liche model. I tend to use him for my leading vampire.

I couldn't find a pic of him online but maybe someone else will have more luck than me.

Botjer
08-11-2010, 13:07
one awesome model you can use is

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m400688_99110110014_NightbringerMain_873x627.jpg

id use him as general if i made a undead army

MacVurrich
08-11-2010, 13:24
I was always very fond of this one:
http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=eng_eng_msd_chs_141_000

but its never in stock.

try the direct store instead http://enigmaminiatures.com/shop/dark-vlad-human-hunter.html

Zombies - have a look at mantic games
http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Undead.html

know a few GT players that have snuck them into WHW un-noticed (and even a few GW staffer in nottingham who field them in there GW armies :)

logan054
08-11-2010, 17:53
Would anyone give me trouble if I modeled up some Chaos knights as zombies and used them as my black knights unit?

I can't see why, one of the old VC characters is actually a raised chaos lord (krell), thats the problem when you fight undead thy will raise your mates to fight against your vampire would need to do is travel past a old batle ground that had some dead chaos followers laying about.

Souppilgrim
09-11-2010, 07:37
Gamezone vampire knights are absolutely beautiful.

bert n ernie
09-11-2010, 08:08
Hi NerZuhl.
The army project sounds interesting and fun, but I'm a little confused as to some things.
Army fillers are fine (I like them a lot, some people don't) but be careful that you're very clear about how some units look. If you have a Blood Knight unit and a Black knight, and they both have zombies on them they will need either very different horses and conversions, or paint schemes.
This all sounds fine as long as you are only using zombie infantry, but if you want to take other units they will have to be distinctly different. I think you should start a painting log where you do a few test minis(one from each unit, if you could) and ask for feedback to ensure the units are distinct enough and clear enough as to what they are.
It is possible that the problem with the 40k army was clarity.
And yeah, you can absolutely have Zombies in 40k. In fact, I think they made rules for plague zombies for either Guard or Lost and the Damned in an old White Dwarf.

NerZuhl
09-11-2010, 08:31
Wasn't planning on using Blood knights.

Army was going to be
Vampire Lord (liche Lord)
Necros and Wight Kings
Zombies
Hounds
Black Knights
Tomb Guard

But yes, I am making sure everything is going to be as obvious as possible. And making sure not to use similar units.

Would a zombified troll work for a vaghulf?

Also, any suggestions for substitutes for spirit hosts?

Balerion
09-11-2010, 09:59
My spirit hosts are groups of Brettonnian men-at-arms painted in a ghostly fashion.

The 6th edition armybook was quite explicit about spirit hosts appearing in the guise of dead soldiers. It's only the 7th edition armybook that turned them into corny, ragged, Ghosts of Christmas Past.

Any mix of dead soldiers, painted to look ethereal, will work fine. Let your imagination run wild.

bert n ernie
09-11-2010, 13:13
Yup, that's definitely the best kinds of spirit hosts. Humans Elves and Dwarves tend to be good to use. Especially Dwarves as they're said to havea great fear of their ancestor's ghosts.

The zombie Varghulf sounds great. What troll are you using?

bert n ernie
09-11-2010, 13:14
Yup, that's definitely the best kinds of spirit hosts. Humans Elves and Dwarves tend to be good to use. Especially Dwarves as they're said to havea great fear of their ancestor's ghosts.

The zombie Varghulf sounds great. What troll are you using?

a18no
10-11-2010, 21:36
Here's 2 exemples:

Dark elf count as vampire (http://www.vampirecounts.net/Thread-Undead-Dark-Elves)

Moussillion theme (http://podhammer.net/2008/03/04/new-photos-in-the-gallery-vampire-counts/)

The principle idea is to stay consequent. Don't use 2 identical models for 2 different unit.

Good luck!

gero_nz
11-11-2010, 01:05
You need to clarify what your saying or asking.

Are you say...

A) I really want to play Vampire Count's and theme my army around *insert idea*, so want to find models that fit this theme.

or

B) I really like Vampire Count's rules but I don't like the models so want to use different ones and will try to hide this by loosely 'theming' it.

If its A, then go hard and as long as you do it well you will not have a problem, however if its B.... just play a different army.

Oh and regarding the Vargulf - that model rocks. Given what the idea behind the unit represents I think you would struggle to find another model for it.

Balerion
11-11-2010, 06:28
Oh and regarding the Vargulf - that model rocks. Given what the idea behind the unit represents I think you would struggle to find another model for it.
How do you figure?

I see it almost completely in reverse of that. The model has next to no relation to the rules profile.

Model has vestigial wings, but profile has no flight.
Model has stumpy legs and awkward gait, but profile has large movement stat.
Model is very tall, but profile is not a large target.
Model's upper body looks quick and powerful, but profile has low initiative.