PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts - 2000 Points - An Untailored List, Friendly

Eternus
08-11-2010, 10:55
Ok, I have put this list together to play my first few games of 8th edition, and would like a bit of critique on the list itself, but more opinions on how to get the best out of what I have chosen.

I have picked it with the Scenarios from the BRB in mind where possible, hence the unit of just 20 Grave Guard for holding the Watchtower etc. I would have liked some cavalry, but at 2000 points my options are a little limited. Also, I have picked some large units to start out with so I can concentrate on keeping the advantage of numbers rather than fighting to gain it in the first place, and so I can use Power Dice to cast offensive spells rather than just repair damage the whole game.

Just for the record, I do not own any Ghouls.

Many thanks, my esteemed compadres.

The Black Hand - Vampire Counts - 2000 points

Erik Schwarznacht, Vampire Lord - 440
Obsidian Blade, Nightshroud, The Other Tricksters Shard - Aura of Dark Majesty, Red Fury, Extra Magic Level - Deployed with The Grave Spears

Karlos Morgan, Vampire - 160
Sword of Might - Infinite Hatred, Avatar of Death - Deployed with the Black Guard

Rakarth Von Kampman, Necromancer - 125
Hand Weapon, Sceptre de Noirot - Knows Invocation of Nehek, Vanhals Danse Macabre & Raise The Dead - Deployed behind the front line infantry

Kratorus the Black, Wight King - 140
Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Battle Standard (The Screaming Banner) - Deployed with The Grave Spears

The Grave Spears - 405
40 Skeleton Warriors, Shields & Spears, Full Command, Banner of the Endless Nightmare (not sure about this banner, as not sure whether I want to deploy as a horde yet - suggestions for a 25 point banner welcome!)

The Corpse Parade - 172
40 Zombies, Standard & Musician

The Hounds of the Hunt - 48
6 Dire Wolves

The Black Guard - 329
20 Grave Guard, Great Weapons, Full Command, Banner of the Barrows

Saychere, The Beast - Varghulf - 175

Darkangeldentist
09-11-2010, 11:34
The characters appear solid enough although I must admit I always take the black periapt if I can. Switching a dice from the power to dispel pool or vice versa is extremely useful. For 15pts it is a bargain.

I am not so sure about the big block of zombies, after the buying the basic unit it always feels a bit of a waste buying more when they can be risen in such numbers. Although I will admit that a unit of 20 would evaporate in just a couple of rounds of combat against most units now. They are a passive obstable rather than a credible front line unit.

On a similar note I also worry about putting all the characters in the skeleton unit. The wight king would be much happier along with the grave guard, who would also benefit more from the screaming banner. WS 3 means enemies who fail their fear tests hit you on 5's which is much better. I have no problems fielding grave guard in units of around 20, although I field 21 and have them deployed 7 wide. I also field mine with hand weapons and shields for the extra armour and parries. With vanhel's though great weapons and the inherent toughness of them anyway I don't think there will be much difference.

My favourite banner for skeletons is the warbanner. The FAQ and rulebook still I think says to use the cost printed in the armybook but the rules from the main rulebook. So it's 25pts for a guaranteed +1 combat res.

Although I have reservations about fielding a horde of skeletons particularly since you have not taken the lord of the dead power anywhere to let you make the unit bigger. There is a significant benefit to fielding them in that way as you can place the characters on the corners and be reasonably safe from nasty units charging in and being able to get lots attacks on all your characters. The characters can still always make it into combat though if you are charged due to the "make way" rules. So a reasonably wide frontage is good thing but with only just enough skeletons to take full advantage of the horde benefits I don't think it's worth bothering. 8 wide should be enough as you'll still a lot of attacks but 5 ranks of models which will help against steadfast.

The varghulf is a solid choice and a great flanking unit, warmachine hunter and/or support fighter.

Good luck with it and I hope my comments prove useful.

Eternus
09-11-2010, 12:27
Thanks for the feedback - it is indeed useful. I think I probably will go for the War Banner on the Skeletons, and if I include the BSB in there as well then it will be +3 just for standards.

I went for a very large unit of Skeletons both to try and deny Steadfast to the enemy (which I think a lot of my tactics with VC's will revolve around), and to make sure the unit lasted longer than a round or two, and so didn't think I'd need to be able to make the unit even bigger with Lord of the Dead which allowed me to go for more aggressive Vampiric Powers, and I agree that 8 wide may be better than Horde. With most Vamps units it doesn't help to give the enemy more of them to hit.

Which brings me to my Zombies choice - I took this big unit to deploy 5 wide and 8 deep to simply hammer into the deepest enemy unit and prevent them being steadfast, alongside a hard hitting unit to do damage with and win combat without offering too many Zombies up for execution. The Zombies are the cheapest option I have for making sure the enemy isn't steadfast when the Grave Guard or Skeletons hit them hard, and the Zombies are easy to top up.

I don't have to worry too much about the Vampire Lord being attacked by charging enemy, as he has the Nightshroud and so should always go first in combat, and is immune to all enemy charge bonuses, including impact hits - so I plan on standing him in front of a chariot if I get the chance! Having said that, where do you think I should place my Characters? I wanted to keep the Vampire Lord close to the Battle Standard to combine the -1 Ld from the Vamp with the 3 dice Fear tests from the BSB.

Finally, my next opponent has decided that he wants to play 2250 points instead of 2000 points, so I now have an extra 250 points to play with. I am thinking of going for a unit of 7 Black Knights to give me a fast, hard hitting unit that can team with the Varghulf, and upgrading the Vampire's sword from Sword of Might to Ogre Blade for +2 strength - what do you think?

Darkangeldentist
09-11-2010, 12:59
Ok, well your plan seems sound enough, although I would not rely on those tactics as it assumes you are facing an enemy with a similar number of units. Which is rather unlikely in my mind. Most people I face have one really big hammer unit and 2-3 solid support ones that can take care of themselves but aren't quite meant to wipe foes out alone.

With only 3 block regiments I feel you risk being out manoeuvred and unable to risk bringing two of your units against a single enemy unit. The wolves and varghulf will help but by their own nature they are fragile as it is.

I was thinking about the basic vampire mostly when I mentioned keeping the characters safe but even though you have made a very solidly durable vampire lord never under-estimate how fragile they can be when the dice turn on you.

As for bumping the army up by 250pts I'm not sure as I haven't used black knights in 8th and cavalry in general did get a bit weaker overall. The unit you suggest teaming up with a varghulf would make a good flanking force. The ogre blade is a very potent sword and would work well on a vampire, although if you do then also think about the dragon helm to fill out the 50pts. (Grants him a respectable 3+ save and 2+ ward against flaming attacks.)

Eternus
09-11-2010, 18:38
Ok, well your plan seems sound enough, although I would not rely on those tactics as it assumes you are facing an enemy with a similar number of units. Which is rather unlikely in my mind. Most people I face have one really big hammer unit and 2-3 solid support ones that can take care of themselves but aren't quite meant to wipe foes out alone.

With only 3 block regiments I feel you risk being out manoeuvred and unable to risk bringing two of your units against a single enemy unit. The wolves and varghulf will help but by their own nature they are fragile as it is.

I was thinking about the basic vampire mostly when I mentioned keeping the characters safe but even though you have made a very solidly durable vampire lord never under-estimate how fragile they can be when the dice turn on you.

As for bumping the army up by 250pts I'm not sure as I haven't used black knights in 8th and cavalry in general did get a bit weaker overall. The unit you suggest teaming up with a varghulf would make a good flanking force. The ogre blade is a very potent sword and would work well on a vampire, although if you do then also think about the dragon helm to fill out the 50pts. (Grants him a respectable 3+ save and 2+ ward against flaming attacks.)

Thanks again for the advice 'D.a.d'. I have gone for the Dragon Helm (2+ ward in CC when some smarty pants gives his unit the 'banner of flaming hurtyness' is too tempting to ignore) for the Vampire and upgraded to the Ogre Blade, and will probably move him to the Skeletons regiment on his own to give them a fighting chance vs heavily armoured foes. 3 attacks at strength 7 and re-rolls to hit every combat phase is nothing to be sniffed at.

I have also moved the Lord and the BSB to the Grave Guard, to max out on the bonuses to hit - if an enemy fails their Fear test, the Grave Guard and Wight King are hitting on 2+.

I have used the rest of the 250 points to buy a unit of 7 Black Knights to team with the Varghulf and act as a bit of a hammer unit and something with T4 and a 2+ save - and I think that 7 Black Knights with Killing Blow is better than the equivalent points in Blood Knights which is just 4 models. Even Chaos Knights would have think carefully against those Killing Blow attacks.

If the number of units doesn't work out, I'll make some adjustments before my next game, maybe drop some of the Zombies and create a second unit of Skeletons and take Lord of the Dead for one of the Vampires.

Cheers.