PDA

View Full Version : MkVIII Errant Armour

Petay1985
08-11-2010, 10:34
Right i am compiling a list of 'features' that are part of the much speculated MkVIII Errant Armour upgrade from MkVII. The end aim is to create some marines (greenstuff and plasti-card) in a version of power armour at least akin to MkVIII.

The list of features that define MkVIII from MkVII i have identified so far:
- Raised gorget/neck collar
- Re-designed helmet to accommodate the raised collar
- Armoured abdomen cables
- Extended vambraces to cover the backs of the wrists.
- Circular ankle joints
- Additional armour on the power pack
- Segmented larger belt

I like to think i have done my research reasonably well, having poured through my games-workshop literature and spent a good few hours on the internet reading older threads and plunging into the depths of lexicanum, etc... However it is almost inevitable that i will miss something or get something slightly wrong, as not all of the sources are reliable.

There also appears to be some speculation towards slightly pointed knee pads, although as the regular games workshop MkVII knee pads have slight points, i see this difference as negligable/debatable. Also i like the idea of adding the 'hip armour' plates like the recent sternguard sergeant and the terminators, but i don't think this is a MkVIII feature, more a modification or 'after market' addition!

If there is anything you can think of to add to the list please let me know, likewise if there is anything you think i have wrong, please post as appropriate.

Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

MajorWesJanson
08-11-2010, 11:49
Taller segmented belt
Bulkier gauntlets, shaped like smaller power fists.

Are they going to be truescale or normal sized? And are you going to cast them?

AndrewGPaul
08-11-2010, 12:03
- Additional armour on the power pack [/B]

Where did you get this?

Going by the original metal Mk8 Marine - the one with integral metal arms, but requiring plastic shoulder pads, gun and backpack - the backpack is obviously the same as for mk 7. I don't recall seeing anything to contradict that, but I could have missed something.

edit; I see it's on that Jes Goodwin concept sketch MajorWesJanson has put in his post. In that case, I'd note that the miniature as sculpted doesn't have forearm armour any bulkier than mark 7 armour, so I'm not sure how canonical that sketch is.

Petay1985
08-11-2010, 12:18
Taller segmented belt

Bulkier gauntlets, shaped like smaller power fists.

Are they going to be truescale or normal sized? And are you going to cast them?

I used the jes Goodwin concept sketch as my primary source of inspiration, i saw the comment regarding gauntlets, but was unsure how wel this would convey on a model, i fear it will look ill proportioned and oversized, but i will investigate none the less. The belt passed me by, thank you for pointing it out.

I am intended to create a a prototype and then take casts from it yes.

Where did you get this?

Going by the original metal Mk8 Marine - the one with integral metal arms, but requiring plastic shoulder pads, gun and backpack - the backpack is obviously the same as for mk 7. I don't recall seeing anything to contradict that, but I could have missed something.

edit; I see it's on that Jes Goodwin concept sketch MajorWesJanson has put in his post. In that case, I'd note that the miniature as sculpted doesn't have forearm armour any bulkier than mark 7 armour, so I'm not sure how canonical that sketch is.

Indeed, this i feel is part of the problem, MkVIII seems to be very much up for debate as to what parts are 'officially' mkVIII and what parts are required to comprise a 'true' mkVIII suit. The Jes Goodwin concept sketch is after all by definition; a 'concept' sketch. I see it as the primary source of reference and as a guide for refinement/development.

Thanks for your input folks!

AndrewGPaul
08-11-2010, 14:08
My opinion would be to use the most complete metal miniature as a primary source - after all, it is the most complete finished example. It's your project, though, so do what you feel looks best.

One thing I would mention is that all the current plastic and resin Marines of whatever type have essentially identical hands - that way, they can all hold any weapon. Giving the mk8 armour huge power fists might make that problematic.

Petay1985
08-11-2010, 14:19
You do raise a valid point fella, these are after all the most complete examples. You are quite correct the logistics of larger gauntlets could be a royal pain! I think i will look to use the forgeworld MKIV 'maximus' patter arms as these closely resemble those of the MKVIII metal model, with the vambraces swept over the wrists.