PDA

View Full Version : Aiming a Stone Thrower at a unit

venomx51
08-11-2010, 14:37
When firing a stone thrower, do you need to pick an actual model in a unit to centre the template over (before rolling for scatter), or can you aim at any arbitrary spot in a unit you like? We play that you have to centre the template centrally over a model in the unit before rolling to scatter, but with a 3" template and 1" (25mm) bases, if you get a direct hit it's the difference between hitting 9 models or hitting 16. Just wondered if we're unnecessarily nerfing our stone throwers.

Palatine Katinka
08-11-2010, 14:44
I believe the hole in the centre has to be over a single model's base. It does not need to be in the exact centre but it does need to be within the boundaries of a single base.

(see page 9 of rulebook and where the template is before scatter)

H33D
08-11-2010, 19:10
You can place it anywhere as long as the center is over a model in the target unit.

venomx51
09-11-2010, 09:23
Nice one. Should be able to squeeze a few more hits out of a direct shot that way. cheers :)

mishari26
09-11-2010, 13:24
well, p.114 under Firing A Stone Thrower (top, right):

"If placed over an enemy unit, the hole in the middle of the template must be placed over a single model."

so.. are you asking if the hole has to be centered over a single model's "head"?

I believe the "intention" of the text is that you should do that. i.e. place the hole ontop of a single model's head. or.. you can be more specific and say the hole should be centered over a single model's "center" (coz it would be very subjective to determine where the head is, depends on the model).

But.. the other side, being the RAW argument is that the hole has to be anywhere while completely "within" a single model's base. meaning you could place it closer to the edge of the model's base if that yields more hits.

I personally prefer the 1st method, as being the more "sportsmanlike" and in accordance with the rules' intent.

Palatine Katinka
09-11-2010, 17:24
I take the diagram on page 9 to be an example of the rules intent on how templates should be placed.

H33D
10-11-2010, 07:14
yeah nowhere does it say to center it, and in fact it would be very ineffective vs. 25mm models to do so.

mishari26
10-11-2010, 08:05
edited. yeah I checked p.9's diagram like Palatine said and I agree. thanks for that :)