PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Stalker - might it be in the next dex?

Souleater
08-11-2010, 20:23
Okay, I know that probably only GW know this but what do people reckon is the likelihood of the Tomb Stalker turning up in the next 'cron dex?

xerxeshavelock
08-11-2010, 20:25
be useful to find out how well the FW model has sold. That should help

Bonzai
08-11-2010, 20:43
From what I've heard, they weren't intended to be. However, if they sell wellyou know gw will want a piece of the action.

PLR
08-11-2010, 22:03
Unless the new Necron codex is closer than we expect, I'd assume we'll see a version of the Tomb Stalker in it. Probably a little different than the FW rules though...

After building my custom one, it better be in there! :)

Clang
09-11-2010, 04:41
Given that the new necron dex is (supposedly) currently being written, it seems odd timing to release a FW model if it would also be in the dex - would make more sense to release it in plastic instead at the same time as the dex.

But some sort of new Heavy troop type (and plastic model) would seem likely, marketing-wise.

Hendarion
09-11-2010, 05:42
I guess since GW bought FW, they use the expensive resin casts as a test to see how many do buy that stuff, then scale up the sales numbers on cheap plastic and if it's worth it and not too huge, they take it over to the normal Codex and release a plastic kit. Seen on various things so far, they'll do it again.

AndrewGPaul
09-11-2010, 08:17
I'm not sure it works that way (and "GW bought FW"? they set it up). They don't think "we don't know how many of these we'll sell - bung it out through Forge World and see". Forge World do their own thing, and occasionally the guys in the Studio like the look of something and pinch it - super-heavy tanks, the Valkyrie and the Tau thingy. At least, that was the idea I got from talking to them at Games Day. The Valkyrie was used as a test piece for developing their CAD system for producing plastic kits, but that wasn't the original reason for it being in IA vol 1.

Hendarion
09-11-2010, 08:53
Forgeworld was more or less independent from GW in the past (yea, still a part of the GW imperium), they even used their own mail addressed something@forgeworld.co.uk.
They got merged closer to the GW core some time ago (one could call that "buying" as all companies name it buying when they re-merge an affiliated firm back to the main company) to work better hand in hand and now even use something@games-workshop.co.uk emails and if GW tells them not to make more kits for a special range, they have to live with it (such restrictions did exist not long ago about Necrons). So it's questionable how much they really are allowed to do what they want to. But that's actually off-topic.

Lord Damocles
09-11-2010, 09:33
A large-ish assault-based construct makes sense for inclusion in a new Codex: Necrons. Such a unit was hinted at as existing in the background as long ago as the month the current codex was released ('Index Xenos: Resurgent Evil' [Necrons], in White Dwarf 271, pg.22).

Whether this would be a Tomb Stalker though..? or possibly something similar to the Setekh? Or [perhaps more likely] something similar in role, but with a completely different design/name.

mughi3
09-11-2010, 09:58
I am just happy more and more FW units are being included in the new dex's so i can shut the people up who whine about FWs legit standing as a GW product that it is not somehow improper or illegal to use(granted we have been using them in our LGS group since "IA 2 space marines and forces of the inquisition" cleared up the legality issue back in 2004).

Lord Damocles
09-11-2010, 10:12
I am just happy more and more FW units are being included in the new dex's so i can shut the people up who whine about FWs legit standing as a GW product that it is not somehow improper or illegal to use
Aren't most (all?) of the units which make the translation from Forgeworld to codex altered in some way(s) though (ie. points costs, special rules, weapon options etc.)?

Dreachon
09-11-2010, 10:28
Aren't most (all?) of the units which make the translation from Forgeworld to codex altered in some way(s) though (ie. points costs, special rules, weapon options etc.)?

If you mean that GW drop a bunch of buff onto the unit then yes you are correct, best example is the Hydra, it had a drop of around 125 pts, lost the AA ability but gained ignoring the skimmer coversave.

Korras
09-11-2010, 10:30
Forgeworld was more or less independent from GW in the past (yea, still a part of the GW imperium), they even used their own mail addressed something@forgeworld.co.uk.
They got merged closer to the GW core some time ago (one could call that "buying" as all companies name it buying when they re-merge an affiliated firm back to the main company) to work better hand in hand and now even use something@games-workshop.co.uk emails and if GW tells them not to make more kits for a special range, they have to live with it (such restrictions did exist not long ago about Necrons). So it's questionable how much they really are allowed to do what they want to. But that's actually off-topic.

so, a change of email address is evidence of a re-merger? ah-hah.

in other words.. you'll have to provide a better source, instead of just stating something without a foundation. you didn't even list when that 'merger' happened.

If you mean that GW drop a bunch of buff onto the unit then yes you are correct, best example is the Hydra, it had a drop of around 125 pts, lost the AA ability but gained ignoring the skimmer coversave.
well.. in the errata's for the IA books, the Hydra is still listed, with the updated pointscost from the codex, while retaining the AA mount. :p

Malagate
09-11-2010, 10:46
Well I would certainly hope the Tomb Stalker gets included in the next Codex, I'm making the model of it right now and it's pretty sweet! Long and slinky, I'm having a bit of a headache basing it however, which I want to do before I attach legs and whatnot.

Also what the heck is a Setekh, other than being an ancient Egyptian god? Is that a reference to that giant Necron Lord from that comic? I would like to see more MC's in a Necron army, I think it fits better than extra vehicles/tanks would, it just seems more Necron-y to build "living" war-machines rather than a vehicle. Doubly so if they all have the Tomb Stalkers resistance to poisoned weaponry :chrome:

Lord Damocles
09-11-2010, 10:54
The Setekh is from 'Kal Jericho: Above and Beyond'. Attached picture from Warhammer Monthly 66:

Hendarion
09-11-2010, 11:04
so, a change of email address is evidence of a re-merger? ah-hah.
No, but a symptom. Just laughably dumb argumentation, sorry.
If you want to, just write to FW and ask. You'll see how much they had to do with each other in the past and now.

Malagate
09-11-2010, 11:14
Cheers Lord Damocles, is there any Necron stuff that you don't have a pic of? :chrome:
I'm not too sure how that from Kal Jericho would work on the tabletop, but as long as it's something that looks better than a bone giant I'd be happy.

Korras
09-11-2010, 11:22
No, but a symptom. Just laughably dumb argumentation, sorry.
If you want to, just write to FW and ask. You'll see how much they had to do with each other in the past and now.

well, as far as my reasoning goes, they're still pretty independent from GW itself as far as models go. either that, or they've been told to build up momentum for a Necron codex next year. which actually makes sense. but then again, when was the last time GW did anything like that that made sense? ;)

and the change of mail address wasn't recent.. I found an order confirmation from april 2009, from fworderenquiries@games-workshop.co.uk. ;)

anyway, on topic. it'd be pretty fun to see it in the codex. it'd be on par with some of the big things in the 'nids codex, so it wouldn't be a first.

Lord Damocles
09-11-2010, 11:23
as it's something that looks better than a bone giant I'd be happy.
So not the floaty head then...

Malagate
09-11-2010, 11:44
I think we'll just gloss over the whole floaty head thing, that's just...oh dear. Could you imagine if a new Necron MC/flyer was a floaty head? Eye-gaussing Ork boyz and chinning Raiders...that's so bad it's just...awful.

AndrewGPaul
09-11-2010, 12:34
That floaty head reminds me of this:

Which then suggests that the Pariahs will look like this (http://waxturds.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/zardoz.jpg).

Bonzai
09-11-2010, 14:53
I think we'll just gloss over the whole floaty head thing, that's just...oh dear. Could you imagine if a new Necron MC/flyer was a floaty head? Eye-gaussing Ork boyz and chinning Raiders...that's so bad it's just...awful.

"Meanwhile..... At the Legion of Doom headquarters... Metallo unveils his nefarious scheme."