PDA

View Full Version : Chameleon Skinks or Terradons?

Gloomwhisker
08-11-2010, 22:11
Hey all. As some of you might know, I'm a very recent Lizardmen convert. Loving the cold-blooded dudes. It's great. I'm currently looking at different aspects of the army, and in that glorious phase of the hobby where one is learning their chosen force and figuring things out. It's an absolute pain of the most joyous sort. We all love it, I'm sure.

Anyway, at the moment I'm thinking about support units. War machine hunters, mage assassins, harassers, etc. That sort of thing. The obvious choices for us servants of the Old Ones are Chameleon Skinks and/or Terradon Riders.

I'm looking for your thoughts on which of these two units I should consider first. I'd like to make my first choice for this sort of unit really count. So, in your opinion what should I put my time and effort into; Chameleon Skinks or Terradons? Also, what size and composition of said unit would be most useful in, say, a 2000 point army?

Gloomwhisker

N810
08-11-2010, 22:16
10 chameleons would probably be good for 200 points or you could go with 5 terradons.
seeing how terradons aren't as safe behind terrain or in forest any more,
most people are turning to chameleons to take on that role.

Pitalla Crimson
08-11-2010, 22:20
Yeah go with chameleon skinks, with the new edition rules they are just awesome. They went from being almost useless to a super necessary unit. Terradons are nice but they always end up suffering painful deaths and the models are not very pretty either.

Gloomwhisker
08-11-2010, 22:24
Sweet, thanks N810 and Pitalla Crimson, I appreciate that. So 10 you say? Wow, I was thinking 6, but hey, 10 works for me. That's a good bunch of poisoned blowpipe darts hitting whatever they're going for, and should easily take care of whatever it is they want to die. I like it. 10 Chameleon Skinks is also a good deal less expensive points-wise than 5 Terradons, so that's a bonus in my books anyway. At the 2000 point level I'm finding points to be at a premium, so that's great.

I've also been cooking up some conversion ideas for Chameleon Skinks as well, mainly because the current models are a little "meh". Sure, they're passable with a decent paint job, but I'm thinking about something a little more dynamic and, well, "chameleon death-stalker-ish".

Thanks again, N810, I'll try and work a unit of 10 Chameleon Skinks into my list. Oh, do you think the Stalker upgrade is worthwhile?

Gloomwhisker

Gloomwhisker
08-11-2010, 22:25
Also, and this is a rookie question is ever there was one, in general what is the best way to use your Chameleon Skinks?

Gloomwhisker

N810
08-11-2010, 22:27
Scout and destroy war machines monsters and mages.

Gloomwhisker
08-11-2010, 22:29
N810...I've gotta say, I like your style. Thanks;)

Gloomwhisker

EnternalVoid
08-11-2010, 22:45
Here is something to think about, with scouting Chameleon skinks can start 12" away from the enemies and are set up after the enemy has deployed so you can see what opening or gaps you might exploit. They are also skirmishers so they can march and shoot. Their base BS of 4 means they can March, Double Shoot, and be at Long Range and still auto wound on 6's. Factor in that most warmachines and lone mages and the like only have 2-4 wounds, really is it not bad.

Against your average warmachine you should be able to kill it with 18 shots due to poison alone. 15-16 shots on average if you are hitting on 5's. With Double Shot you are looking at needing 8-9 guys to do it most of the time. The problem is one single unit of them are vunerable to any sort of range or magic that can hit them. Not to mention the random charges. I am thinking two units of 7 might be better then one unit of 10. If they have to they can double up on a target, or they can go after different targets or different routes to get behind the enemy.

Their greatest weakness compared to Terradons is their slow speed and weaker melee, but Terradons lack their shot output.

Gloomwhisker
08-11-2010, 22:55
Hmmm...thanks for that, EternalVoid, that's actually an excellent point. Basically the point is that they can dish it out, but they can't take it. So, careful use is required....if at all possible while making sure they do the job they're there to do.

I think you're probably onto something with your idea about having two units of 7 each...I'm just wondering if that will be possible in the 2000 point arena. At a higher points level, oh yes, I can totally see that happening(maybe even 2 units of 10 each!), but I'll have to see. Thanks for that, EternalVoid, that's very helpful.

What I am getting out of this is that Chameleon Skinks are very, very useful, and almost a must have in a Lizardmen army. This, for me, is exactly the excuse I've been looking for to convert up some suitably wicked looking jungle stalkers!

Gloomwhisker

puckus10
08-11-2010, 23:12
I play HE and i usually deploy so that my archers will block anything skirmishing from hitting my bolt throwers. Thats why it sounds like terradons are better. They fly right over my archers to the bolt throwers.

EnternalVoid
09-11-2010, 09:30
True you might have to stick to one unit at 2000 points if you are finding yourself running short on points after the other stuff you want, But again two units of 5 might be better then one unit of 10 depending on the opponent or such. After all a unit of five can be 3 wide and two deep so might have a better time slipping between units at times.

Well one thing about the archer/bolt thrower scenerio of puckus10. They can still march 12" and shoot. If they can get the angle they don't have to set up right infront of the archers, but march from an angle to shoot past the archers *make sure you are not shooting through the archers as it is hard cover*. Not saying they will always have the angle, but it means your opponent is reacting to you before the game even starts. You can still put the skinks in position so rather than be in range on the first turn they can march somewhere else and be able to reach the warmachine on the second turn, circling around the unit protecting it. Now they have to turn their archers to deal with them or at the very least use some of their shooting on them to stop them from taking the warmachine in turn 2.

Problem with Terradons is that if you go first, the most you can do is shoot at them, something they are not very good at compared to the chameleon skinks. If you go second, sure they can charge, but there is a chance you will fail to charge depending how far back the warmachine is. At least with the skinks you know you have a 24" max range on what you can do.

freddieyu
09-11-2010, 09:39
Camo skinks have been great for me..their footprint is also small so they are easier to hide, and if they are seen they are hard to hit, especially if they are in cover...

In my last game using them they were in a tower...and not 1 fell to 2 24 man lothern seaguard units who decided to shoot at them! When 1 got near enough to charge I abandoned the tower and marched all the way to it's flank, out of LOS...irritating buggers, I love them camo skinks...

BigbyWolf
09-11-2010, 10:18
Another vote for the Camo-skinks. I'm including them in my new Lizard army...as well as Oxyotl(?).

decker_cky
09-11-2010, 20:55
I'd take 3 units of 5 for the flexibility. Sometimes you might just block a vanguard move with them, or march block a unit on the flank, but there's a ton of uses for a small harassment unit like that.