PDA

View Full Version : 2500 Dark Elves with Manticore

Kirbinator
08-11-2010, 22:41
So in this list I kept it as close to my other 2500 list (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281848) as possible since that list was pretty solid overall, I felt it would help back up the not-so-great nature of the Manticore. I will make another list with a dragon later since I feel the fantastic model (http://www.ragingheroes.com/blogs/news/2153242-whod-buy-a-manticore) would work just as well with that set of rules without anyone fussing.

Supreme Sorceress - Shadow, Lv.4, Pegasus, Pendant of Khaeleth - 345
Master - Manticore, Deathpiercer, The Other Trickster's Shard, Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak - 328
Death Hag - Cauldron of Blood, BSB - 225

5x Harpies - 55
25x Spearmen - Full Command, Shields - 190
20x Crossbowmen - Standard, Musician, Shields - 235
20x Crossbowmen - Standard, Musician, Shields - 235

6x Shades - 96
6x Shades - 96
Cold One Chariot - 100
21x Witches - Banner of Murder - 245

War Hydra - 175
War Hydra - 175

Total: 2500

I feel like I tried to get every bit of the army I could in there for the points! I even had to drop the shield from the Master's mundane armor because I was 2 points over.

I figure I can use the Manticore as a character hunter and flank charger. Many people seem to rely on their Ward Saves to keep characters save from Killing Blow (and death in general). With The Other Trickster's Shard it may help take them down that much easier. I've also considered swapping to the Black Dragon Egg for a turn of high toughness and infantry killing. Another thought was the Pendant of Khaeleth + Trickster's Shard + Lance, but then I'd have to find even more points to give the Sorceress the 4+ ward. Another alternative was to simply swap the Deathpiercer for the Whip of Agony. +1 strength, +1 attack, and armor piercing? Woo!

My Skaven friend loves putting his Plague Priest on Furnace at the front of his army, a nasty T5/6 Master on Manticore showing up in his face would make a quick remedy to that and the breath weapon would give another 2d6 against everyone in the unit. Alternatively, I could fly it into his Grey Seer on Bell unit and take out that guy. Either way, that would put me 9 points (+5 for Egg, +4 for Lance) over if I wanted to hang onto The Other Trickster's Shard, though. :(

Kirbinator
16-11-2010, 16:48
Not much response to the initial post, I guess everyone loved the list? :D

In any case, I also have a slightly altered version that allows the Sorceress to have the 4+ ward and Manticore rider the Pendant of Khaeleth. I also kept the Harpies for a little screening or harassment, depending on the opponent.

Supreme Sorceress - Shadow, Lv.4, Pegasus, Talisman of Preservation - 355
Master - Manticore, Pendant of Khaeleth, The Other Trickster's Shard, Lance, Full Mundane - 344
Death Hag - Cauldron of Blood, BSB - 225

5x Harpies - 55
25x Spearmen - Musician, Standard, Shields - 184
20x Crossbowmen - Musician, Shields - 225
20x Crossbowmen - Musician, Shields - 225

6x Shades - 96
6x Shades - 96
Cold One Chariot - 100
21x Witches - Banner of Murder - 245

War Hydra - 175
War Hydra - 175

Total: 2500

thesheriff
16-11-2010, 17:01
This is what i would do in a dark elf army if i had one. Except, i would have 2 masters, full mundane, both riding manticores :p

thesheriff

Chainaxe07
16-11-2010, 22:24
I'd drop the sorceress, and go for more heroes or even a dreadlord. Other than that the list looks fine to me. Have you tried it out yet?

Kirbinator
17-11-2010, 00:51
I'd drop the sorceress, and go for more heroes or even a dreadlord. Other than that the list looks fine to me. Have you tried it out yet?

Unless I switched the current Master to a Dreadlord, I can't take too much more in the way of Heroes. I'd really prefer not to upgrade him to a Dreadlord because that's another 80+ points just in the upgrade cost, not to mention it encouraging even more magic items. As fragile as the Manticore is, I'd rather not make it even more expensive than it already is.

If I did drop the Sorceress, what do you feel a 355 points of available Dreadlord options would offer this list? I could do something fun like an unkillable Peglord to laugh off cannonfire as he swoops in to knock them out. That would give me two relatively scary flying melee units that could really pinpoint and cripple units that I don't want moving about too much.

I do wonder if that would really prove better than a Lv.4 Sorceress, though. Lore of Shadow is just so awesome for everything we do.

I have not tried out my list just yet; my new work schedule makes me pretty busy. I'll be running a game or two after Thanksgiving, though, so hopefully I'll have a nice battle report for everyone. :)

Gooner
18-11-2010, 19:04
It seems fine, 2 units of shades and harpies seem a bit excessive, when u have a manticore too. I would drop both bump the harpies abit so they can last and then do somthing with your sorc.

Pegasus pretty much means you are taking death magic, not shadow if u want shadow( i use it ) then take more spearmen and the sac dagger and buff/debuff at will. If u want to ride her around then take either black dragons egg with death magic or some other set up.

PS. breath weapons as shooting is insane if you dont know this yet, fly her in to combo breath with a hydra or both and watch the enemy's deathstar all die. The in the magic phase nuke the hell out of him with some death magic. purple sun works wonders at getting rid of bells/furncaces and might even get a few rats in the process.

Kirbinator
19-11-2010, 22:49
It seems fine, 2 units of shades and harpies seem a bit excessive, when u have a manticore too. I would drop both bump the harpies abit so they can last and then do somthing with your sorc.
I'm not sure why it's a bit excessive to have both units of Shades and the Harpies. They do fairly different things, though admittedly they do both make good war machine hunters.

Pegasus pretty much means you are taking death magic, not shadow if u want shadow( i use it ) then take more spearmen and the sac dagger and buff/debuff at will. If u want to ride her around then take either black dragons egg with death magic or some other set up.
Why does the pegasus mean I am using death magic? I understand Death can sometimes be powerful, particularly when a fat Purple Sun lands on a pesky unit, but Shadow's hexes are just plain nasty. Why do you feel she must be on foot to get the most benefit out of shadow?

PS. breath weapons as shooting is insane if you dont know this yet, fly her in to combo breath with a hydra or both and watch the enemy's deathstar all die. The in the magic phase nuke the hell out of him with some death magic. purple sun works wonders at getting rid of bells/furncaces and might even get a few rats in the process.

I'd be worried about scattering a purple sun into my own Hydra at that point! :D I'm not sure why you feel the breath attacks are so great. I know the no-partials thing is awesome, but you still have to wound and armor saves are still allowed. It's certainly a nice thing to have, but doesn't seem too amazing in and of itself.

As stated before, though, my game with this list isn't until this coming weekend so my thoughts may simply not apply on the field.