PDA

View Full Version : Using the Webway

SolkaTruesilver
09-11-2010, 14:02
What does it take?

Is it in the realm of possibility that the Tau could learn how to use the Webway, thus bypassing their "No Warp Travel" limit?

Iracundus
09-11-2010, 14:08
What does it take?

Is it in the realm of possibility that the Tau could learn how to use the Webway, thus bypassing their "No Warp Travel" limit?

Not unless they figure out how to activate Webway gates. The 3rd edition Eldar Codex describes an Imperial investigation into a gate and there was no clear activating mechanism, and it was hypothesized to be operated via psychic means. That would be something the Tau would be unable to do directly.

SolkaTruesilver
09-11-2010, 14:15
Okay. So, do we KNOW it takes psyck powers, or maybe it's opened "from the inside"? Like, you need an operator in the Webway to open the portals for friendlies?

MagosHereticus
09-11-2010, 14:23
Okay. So, do we KNOW it takes psyck powers, or maybe it's opened "from the inside"? Like, you need an operator in the Webway to open the portals for friendlies?

from the description of the gate it is almost certainly a psychic key

looks like the tau will have to make the kroot eat a lot of eldar if they want to break their way in, and once in i'd expect it would be a nightmare finding ones way around, considering it is essentially the kind of sewer network that Maurits Cornelis Escher would design

SolkaTruesilver
09-11-2010, 14:38
from the description of the gate it is almost certainly a psychic key

looks like the tau will have to make the kroot eat a lot of eldar if they want to break their way in, and once in i'd expect it would be a nightmare finding ones way around, considering it is essentially the kind of sewer network that Maurits Cornelis Escher would design

Okay, we are making progress.

Also, I heard there is some sort of decay occuring when spending long amount of time in the Webway, that affects some Eldars (but not Harlequin). Can somebody tell me more about it?

Would the Tau be similary affected, or do their reduced presented with the Warp make them more resistant?

ForgottenLore
09-11-2010, 15:47
it was hypothesized to be operated via psychic means. That would be something the Tau would be unable to do directly.

I would expect some sort of psychic ability is how it was intended to be opened, but traveling via the warp also requires psychic ability and the Tau figured out a workaround for that so it might be possible that they could non-psychically "pick the lock"

once in i'd expect it would be a nightmare finding ones way around,

This is what I would consider the main problem, even if they can get in it would take them ages and ages to map the locations and figure out how they connect.

Tau enter the Webway and their drone intelligence tells them "You are in a maze of twisty passages all alike"

Also, I heard there is some sort of decay occuring when spending long amount of time in the Webway, that affects some Eldars (but not Harlequin). Can somebody tell me more about it?

I believe this is new to the DE codex, and that it only effects Eldar because of their psychically strong souls and their connection to Slannesh. In fact, the new codex says the leeching effect is greater outside the webway. DE stsve off the effects by leeching other beings souls via torture, the craftworlders halt it with the path system and soulstones, and the exodites have their world spirits that protect their souls. No one knows how the Harlequins are avoiding the whole issue.

I would say that it would not be an issue for Tau (or most anyone else) who got into the webway.

Hendarion
09-11-2010, 16:03
the exodites have their world spirits that protect their souls.
Actually they are protected just like the CWE. The world spirit only protects their soul after death.

No one knows how the Harlequins are avoiding the whole issue.
We do. Actually the same like the CWE and Exodiths: Dedication and suppression of their destructive nature. Just that Harlequins dedicate themselves to the Laughing God instead of a Path system or hard work life.

Idaan
09-11-2010, 16:16
Also, I heard there is some sort of decay occuring when spending long amount of time in the Webway, that affects some Eldars (but not Harlequin). Can somebody tell me more about it?Not really. It's the same draining effect, caused by Slaanesh, that occurs fast in realspace and very, very, very fast in the exposed Warp. It's actually the slowest when in the Webway. It's just the Dark Eldar chose to live in there without any protection, so they get the short end of the stick.

Inquisitor Engel
10-11-2010, 07:01
I'd imagine the Niccassar are psychic enough to open webway gates, or could be trained to do so.

The problem is that the Tau, having been created/uplifted by the Eldar, probably aren't going to get given access to the one thing keeping their benefactors alive and in-contact with each other. The Tau don't understand or know their true nature like the Eldar had an understanding of the Old Ones/Gods.

It's not knowledge the Eldar could pass on without causing MASSIVE problems within Tau society and even then... I imagine Biel-Tan, Saim-Hann, Vect and the other DE would have some issues with filthy blue-bloods filling up their warp-routes...