PDA

View Full Version : The Power of the Written Word

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
10-11-2010, 04:22
So I introduced my older brother to 40K by loaning him the Eisenhorn trilogy. He really enjoyed the books, but I wanted to show him a more "normal" human side of the universe. That meant sharing my second favorite set of novels: Gaunt's Ghosts.

Today I picked he and his wife up at the airport, coming home from their honeymoon. As I'm driving, he tells me that the thing he loves about the Ghosts is how they believe in the righteousness of their cause, praying to their wargear and singing battle hymns in conflicts. He said that he wished there was something like that to be a part of.

Now, his opinions might change as he gets deeper and deeper into the novels and sees what the average Ghosts' life span is, but I thought it was so awesome that he was falling in love with the background material. It reminded me of my first foray into the 40K world through the novels.

Anyone else have stories about introducing friends and family members to Warhammer?

Voss
10-11-2010, 05:34
In all seriousness, I'm a little too creeped out by your brothers response of 'Yay, I want to be in a cult!' to respond.

Hellebore
10-11-2010, 05:36
There are plenty of institutions in the world today that are built around this concept. The western world has plenty to choose from.

Hellebore

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
10-11-2010, 05:54
Well, technically it's not a cult if it's real.

This is supposed to be about introducing someone to 40K, seeing their excitement in the background. Please keep your responses on that topic.

Lothlanathorian
10-11-2010, 07:09
I actually have started a gaming group with my friends and some of them are currently building there first armies ever. One of them has been devouring the Gaunt's Ghosts novels as he is building IG. One has recently joined Warseer and is building himself a Hive Fleet. There is a Tau player and DA player both of which played previous editions. The DA player hasn't played since 3rd. And the Nid player's gf (yeah, a REAL girl lol) wants to build a Slaaneshi CSM army. How I envy that lucky bastard lololol.

EdgeDs
10-11-2010, 11:07
Only just starting the Gaunt books but I am also really enjoying them, does make you want to make an IG army as well.

Godzooky
10-11-2010, 11:26
On the flipside to this, I wonder how many potential 40K players have been turned away from the hobby because their l'il brothers foolishly gave them books penned by Goto.

LonelyPath
10-11-2010, 11:49
I've introduced a good few people to the GW hobby over the years, some of them just stayed for the modeling aspects (and with a few people that's A LOT of modeling!) , others for the gaming or army building. Some simply just like to buy the odd miniature here and there and paint it.

But yeah, I was also creeped about him wanting to join a blind religious cult like that dedicated to the Emperor, etc... And yes, it can be real and still be a cult, most modern religions started as cults ;)

nagash66
10-11-2010, 20:37
But yeah, I was also creeped about him wanting to join a blind religious cult like that dedicated to the Emperor, etc... And yes, it can be real and still be a cult, most modern religions started as cults ;)

See i dont get this view, in the 40k universe the Emperor is very real, what he does matters for every human in the galaxy, blind faith in him isnít blind, because when they say the Emperor protects he really does.

He protects terra by keeping the warp gate closed, he protects the ships and trade lanes of the Imperium by powering the Astronomican, and he protects the human race by keeping chaos at bay.

He does give power and protection to his followers and soldiers, be it the holy might of the adeptas soritas, or things like the faithful repelling daemons.

Think of something like scientology, only that thetans really are there, they do give people powers and they can help you live a better life, better yet proof is all around you.

It is very very easy to see why someone would join a movement like that.

H.LaFever
10-11-2010, 22:31
typical,
there is no emperour!
the high lords of terra control the empire of man from the palace of lies.
hasnt been a real emperour since the ultras swooped in after the heresey and implimented their 'new ultra order'
some will call me a wierdo, and say i dont know the fluff....
but ive been here since '87, and the pretendres to the throne have been changing their fluff for years, changing histories.
the 'loyalist' armies have based their loyalties on lies..... not so?
then why isnt the crimson fists a founding chapter?
what of the forgotten saint ollanius pius?
I am not chaos.... I am also not a traitor, for I see the truth....
what i am is a destroyer of so called loyalist puppets.
My crusade is coming to terra, and i will sweep the lies from the view of the people.
I will restore the empire, then I will take my legion and go, for the Blood Fists seek not power, just truth and justice.

nagash66
10-11-2010, 23:16
typical,
there is no emperour!
the high lords of terra control the empire of man from the palace of lies.
hasnt been a real emperour since the ultras swooped in after the heresey and implimented their 'new ultra order'
some will call me a wierdo, and say i dont know the fluff....
but ive been here since '87, and the pretendres to the throne have been changing their fluff for years, changing histories.
the 'loyalist' armies have based their loyalties on lies..... not so?
then why isnt the crimson fists a founding chapter?
what of the forgotten saint ollanius pius?
I am not chaos.... I am also not a traitor, for I see the truth....
what i am is a destroyer of so called loyalist puppets.
My crusade is coming to terra, and i will sweep the lies from the view of the people.
I will restore the empire, then I will take my legion and go, for the Blood Fists seek not power, just truth and justice.

I dont know what you are smoking, but we can make a ton selling it :D.