PDA

View Full Version : Flying bases in Apocalypse - a question

Bigbot
10-11-2010, 21:59
Ok so me and my friends have been playing Apocalypse for years now and it's good fun. Over the time we've built a large collection of flyers between the sides (one of us even has a thunderhawk).

We've always used the written rule that a flyers base is a base and as such models cannot move through it or within 1 inch of it unless charging (which they cannot do).

This was fine and we've all got on with it. However the last game we played I used the demonic portal formation. Just before the turn they were due to come out,My friend then used his dinner plate sized flying base (which to be fair it is a huge flier it needs the support) and plonked it right next to the incursion model. On the other side he put an assault squad.

This essentially meant of course that all models coming out were killed due to being within the space of another model. Now the assault squad I can take, harsh but fair enough I could see them stabbing the demons as they appeared.

The flying base me and my friends have had trouble with. While it's true the rules do state he can do it, I'd appreciate thoughts on whether it's right or fair to do this.

We're currently having the debate between us now about whether we should change the rules to allow us to move through flying bases. The flying base owner has consented and allowed the use of models moving through the bases but they must end more than 1 inch away and not on the base. This is fine for our sides fliers as they all have standard bases, but his dinner plate base is still to big to move through, thusly allowing him to potentially repeat the actions.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

RCgothic
10-11-2010, 22:10
I can't think of any good reason why models on the ground should take any notice of a flier zooming overhead. There are practical reasons, such as what happens to models on a base when the flier moves again, but other than that, I don't see why they can't just mutually ignore each other.

AlexHolker
10-11-2010, 22:11
I would say you can move over or onto the base however you like. Using a vehicle incapable of moving less than 36" a turn and that always counts as being at least 12" away to hold ground is a gross violation of common sense.

H.LaFever
10-11-2010, 22:13
We ignor flying bases altogether.
the rule makes sense IF the unit is on the ground and uses the base as a 'zone of control'
but since figure is 'flying' it really isnt supposed to have a base (its just needed to keep model aloft), so we justify ignoring flying bases that way.

now if a flying demon were to 'land' then the base rule IS in effect, but as long as models are 'airborn' then land speeders, jet bikes, thunderhawks, demons, crisis suits etc are NOT touching the table per se, so no need for base rule

Dyrnwyn
10-11-2010, 22:18
In some ways it could make sense - something like the Manta could simply park in front of the gate and fire it's engines. Anything coming out would end up largely crispy. Or hover right above the gate with gravitics smooshing anything that comes out into paste.

However, seeing as this is Apoc - house rule it on a case by case basis - maybe superheavies can do this, but not ordinary flyers.

Reflex
10-11-2010, 23:35
we ignore the base for model movement as this came up twice at out LGC.

we just try to avoid putting models on them for the movement reasons of the flyer.

Stonerhino
10-11-2010, 23:46
When I made my manta I gave it a tripod instead of a normal base. Just so it would not take up to much "Ground" space and cause these problems.

But if you guys have always played that flying bases prevent moving. Then you should continue to play it that way.

Bigbot
11-11-2010, 07:11
it's not so much that they prevent movement I guess but that it was used specifically as a way to avoid the demons deep striking that made it seem harsh. The Thunderhawk itself did nothing that turn as it had nothing to shoot at, it was only there to stop things deep striking from the formation which seems wrong

Hendarion
11-11-2010, 07:31
If it's flying, all weapons shooting on it have to reduce their range by 12", meaning the flyer is 12" in the air. Why should that affect anything on the ground? If it lands, maybe. But if it's getting the benefit for flying, there's no argument (not even the one with using the engines to burn the demons) that would make it logical to me that the base has any influence. As Stonerhino said, a tripod is a great thing for flyers.

Born Again
11-11-2010, 07:35
For large fliers like Thunderhawks, which we can imagine a some distance above the ground, I'd say models are free to move through the base, as long as they do not end their move on it/ in contact with it (purely for the sake of avoiding confusion). In the instance you describe, I'd allow the models to appear anywhere within 1" of the flyer's base.