PDA

View Full Version : 2500 Ogre Kingdoms (newish player)

MAD MAN-A-TRON
11-11-2010, 04:42
Lords
276 Tyrant with tenderizer, heavy armour, wyrdstone necklace

245 Slaughtermaster with bloodcleaver, skull mantle

Heroes
155 Butcher with dispell scroll

Core
370 8 Ogre bulls with iron fist, full command

434 8 Ironguts, full command

40 20 gnoblars

40 20 gnoblars

Special
230 4 Leadbelchers, bellower

230 4 Leadbelchers, bellower

165 Scraplauncher

165 Scraplauncher

Rare
75 Gorger

75 Gorger

How's it look gents?

Lord Inquisitor
11-11-2010, 04:46
The only real gap in your list is the BSB, which I think is vital for Ogres. Drop the Butcher (the Slaughtermaster is really all you need - while a secondary caster is nice, it's not necessary), replace it with a BSB. I would probably conglomerate the gnoblars into a big unit of 40 - a unit of 20 probably isn't going to stay alive long enough to tarpit anything.

Otherwise, looks pretty solid to hit the table with!

Torpedo Vegas
11-11-2010, 05:09
Do what the Inquisitor says. Make the Gnobos on big unit, and you really do need a BSB, since our L7 blows.

MAD MAN-A-TRON
11-11-2010, 05:18
I'm not sure but, can't you only have a scrap launcher per unit of gnoblars?

Torpedo Vegas
11-11-2010, 05:47
Crap you are right. He'd have to drop a Scrapluancher then. Maybe he can take a token unit of 5-10 Gnobos to keep them?

MAD MAN-A-TRON
11-11-2010, 13:21
Gnoblars are 20+ I checked when writing this because i want to take some magic banners and stuff.

immortal git
11-11-2010, 15:36
drop some leadbealchers, too many in my opinion, thatll give you points for a BSB

MAD MAN-A-TRON
11-11-2010, 17:20
Well, I was thinking I could just switch out the Butcher for a BSB, then drop a gutlord for a magic standard and if necesary, drop the other ogre bull champion for armor upgrades, etc.

Lord Inquisitor
11-11-2010, 17:35
Nothing wrong with leadbelchers and I'd rather them than a second caster. Although I might swap one unit for another core unit, if only to get another banner in the army (see below).

You're right about the scraplaunchers needing gnoblar units. I might think about beefing those two units up a bit if you have some spare points - two units of 30-50 would be a better tarpit and 20 gnoblars costs as much as an ogre!

One thing to think about is the Blood And Glory scenario. Your breakpoint is 3, you only have a fortitude of 4 (general and 2 banners). A BSB will bring you up to 5, but you're still at the point of losing two banners or the general will lose you the game.

MAD MAN-A-TRON
11-11-2010, 19:46
Totally forgot about blood and glory, but I'm just not sure how to fit abother unit, and I mean I'm so use to ogre units breaking im a little uneasy about getting another unit just for one standard. I'll have to play more to get a better feel. I've played two games of 8th edition so i'm not too well versed.

the eater of pie
12-11-2010, 00:25
okay, first off, i'm gonna straight up disagree with these guys :P sure, in other armies, extra casters are gonna just eat up dice, but a slaughter master as well as a butcher works wonders in ogres.

as each can only cast each spell once, and your opponent can dispell them in their turn, your buffs won't last long and you will rarely get them stacking with a single caster.

having a butcher in a unit of bulls with gruts sickle allows him to cast gut magic on a 3+ (normal) and if he rolls a 1 or 2 can use the sickle to add another dice for free and get the spell off. so for a few power dice and a wound off a bull you will have maybe 1 or 2 buffs up. Now you can use the rest of your dice on your slaughter master, prehaps stacking the same buffs or adding others.

As there are really only 3 main spells you will be using, if you field just a slaughter master you will find yourself with left over power dice, so you might aswell field a butcher to use them and potentially get some huge buffs on your units.

so, in my opinion, its safe to say if your commiting to magic (which you should), by getting a slaughter master, a butcher with a sickle is a must.

i would definetly NOT drop a scrap launcher, as they are seriously amazing this edition. i plan to field at least 2 whenever possible.

i am torn on leadbelchers. my unit of 2 has performed a bit, but they arent as great as they look. i certainly wouldnt field 8. so if you were gonna drop something to keep your scrappies and butcher, i would drop at least some leadbelchers.

boosting the gnoblars up with left over points is always a good idea :P, as units of 20 are rather small.

However, i do agree that a bsb is a must. i run mine with mawseeker, crown of command, enchanted shield and heavy armour. He is tough as nails, allows re-rolls and makes his unit stuborn. absolutely amazing! stick him with a big unit of ironguts and a tyrant and that unit will plow through anything.

so, sorry for high-jacking your list :P but by all means, play what you want. i'm just giving input from my experience, and suggesting what i feel are optimal changes.

if your going for a strong competative list, i would drop the leadbelchers all together, add a bsb, give the butcher grut's sickle, and maybe get some more bulls, splitting them into 2 units of 6. This gives you an extra unit that is quite sufficient in combat, especially with all the bonus buffing you will be doing. and you also get an extra fortitude point if you give them both banners.

hope this helped :)

cheers,
The Eater Of Pie

MAD MAN-A-TRON
12-11-2010, 03:36
Thanks, that's a lot to digest lol. I'm going to try out your advice about the butcher with sickle. I guess I could drop the gorger and two leadbelchers to add a bsb. How does that sound?

Played a slog fest with my buddy a skaven player tonight. I'm pretty proud of how my ogres played, although I think it might have been a minor victory or draw, we didn't get technical. Magic was okay, late game having my two big blocks of ogres stubborn with leadership 8 was pretty good, until my generals unit fled by rolling a 10 when I needed a 9. Having both Butchers misspell in one turn wasn't awesome either, thankfully they were both able to stay on the field and in the fight. Leadbelchers brought the pain by reducing ranks in two units, causing another to panic off the table after rolling a 34 on artillery die. I LOVE the Scraplauncher, what a great model. It brought the game back for my twice by slamming into blocks of rat and crushing them in combat. All things considered, I forgot how fun warhammer could be, I've been playing WMHD for so long I forgot about big blocks of troops and colorful liveries, being able to dispell overly powerful spells like plague and withering. I had a lot of fun.

immortal git
12-11-2010, 11:21
all i can say is well done, i find that skaven are the one trouble my ogres have, too many blocks to move. scrappies always helkp and i have two no matter what, leadbealchers as you described, got 34 shots, but cna just as easily get 2 and 3 misfires, mine always rolled badly so i dropped em, i think the bsb is a must have. he would complete your list.

the eater of pie
12-11-2010, 13:34
congrats on your game :D and yeah, a bsb would certainly be a good idea, and may have even caused your generals unit not to flee :P

also, if you have mawseeker on your characters, you can now re-roll the stupidity test with the bsb aswell, which makes it a much better big name.

i have recently just got back into the game, and can also say i forgot just how fun it really is. i think the scraplauncher is one of the coolest models ever made and the rules are run and characterful, yet pretty competative :D

cheers,
The Eater Of Pie

Torpedo Vegas
12-11-2010, 16:49
oi think the scraplauncher is one of the coolest models ever made
The Eater Of Pie
Cool? Yes. Easy to build? No. I hate that model so much. so much pewter.

MAD MAN-A-TRON
13-11-2010, 04:50
lol, i remember when i first built mine and thinking, this is the hardest model to assemble, my second one is a conversion

Torpedo Vegas
13-11-2010, 05:10
I tried to build it, I really did, but I had about half the rickety thing done when it all fell apart. I chucked it across the room, and used what pieces I could find to build it again, it came out looking okay.

MAD MAN-A-TRON
13-11-2010, 05:16
I'm using a rhinox with a empire mortar and some other bits as the base for my conversion. Then I'll have a bunch of gnoblars hanging off the sides of it.

Da GoBBo
13-11-2010, 07:43
I tried to build it, I really did, but I had about half the rickety thing done when it all fell apart. I chucked it across the room, and used what pieces I could find to build it again, it came out looking okay.

I started building mine 10 months ago. Every now and than I add a couple of pieces to it, using zap a gap and tiny globes of greenstuff and do a lot of prefitting. It is rocksolid, even without pinning.

I agree with most of the Eater of Pie's remarks (if not for his remarks than due to his supersweet alias :D). IMHO, the sickle should be on the Slaughtermaster though, as this enables him to single dice cast 6+ spells with the least difficulties.

Also, a unit of trappers also counts as a unit of Gnoblars for the purpose of adding Scrapchukka's to your army.

immortal git
13-11-2010, 23:17
ive built a second one using the bottom of a plauge furnace and a LOTR orc catapult, looks ok

the eater of pie
14-11-2010, 17:50
hehe, thanks gobbo :D

With regards to the sickle, i still think its better off on the butcher. As casting on 2 dice, the slaughter master will only fail 1/36 of the time, due to +4 to his casting roll. Whereas the butcher will fail 1/3 of the time, as a natural roll of 1 or a 2 is a fail (i think anyway), so if you look at it that way, its alot more useful on the butcher for getting more spells off. Or maybe my math is wrong :P and i guess it only applys if you are going to play that way.

Also im yet to build my scraplauncher, but im going to convert it alot anyway, which may end up being even harder :P My army is pirate themed, so gnoblar pirate-ship scrap launcher! :D which i think is going to look awesome.

Cheers,
The Eater Of Pie

Torpedo Vegas
14-11-2010, 17:54
make sure that the Halfling Cookbook makes it on your Slaughtermaster, he is worth it.

MAD MAN-A-TRON
15-11-2010, 02:14
does the cook book help with miscasts? Im had some pretty nasty ones last game i played

IGoblinego
15-11-2010, 18:32
You need bulls for each gnoblar unit.

1 ogre bull unit in list -> 1 gnoblar unit

2 ogre bull units in list -> 2 gnoblar units

the eater of pie
15-11-2010, 20:30
You need bulls for each gnoblar unit.

I didnt even notice he had two gnoblar units :P

Yeah in that case, my suggestion of splitting your bulls unto two units of 6 would be a good idea. unless you just swap out a fighters unit for some trappers.

cheers,
The Eater Of Pie

immortal git
16-11-2010, 00:51
Fighters are needed for scraplaunchers, that books a freaking riddle

MAD MAN-A-TRON
16-11-2010, 02:24
I might switch them out for trappers then.

Torpedo Vegas
16-11-2010, 02:42
As a rule, what sort of armies do you tend to play against, or do you intend for this to be an all-comers list. I'm a huge advocate of the importance of Metahammer.

MAD MAN-A-TRON
16-11-2010, 04:08
Well to be honest I don't know. I haven't played too much lately, been playing a lot of Hordes so I don't really know the metagame or who my opponents are going to be, outside of my friend who plays skaven.

IGoblinego
16-11-2010, 16:18
don't change them to trappers, you need hunter for that.

Da GoBBo
16-11-2010, 17:46
Fighters are needed for scraplaunchers, that books a freaking riddle

don't change them to trappers, you need hunter for that.

No and no. You need a unit of Gnoblars for scraplaunchers, whether they be fighters or trappers. You can have one unit of trappers regardless of any hunters, but need a hunter for any additional trapper units.

Lord Inquisitor
16-11-2010, 21:31
Yeah, never mind competitive units and decent magic items, what I'm hoping for in a new army book is an army list that isn't a choose-your-own-adventure...

Da Gobbo has it right.

1. You need 1 unit of Gnoblars and/or Trappers per Scraplauncher.
2. You can't have more than one unit of Trappers (unless you have a Hunter).
3. You require 1 unit of bulls per Gnoblar unit (but not Trapper units).

So for 2 Scraplaunchers you must have 1 unit of Bulls + 1 unit of Gnoblars + 1 unit of Trappers OR 2 units of Bulls + 2 units of Gnoblars.

Swapping out a unit of Leadbelchers for 6 bulls with standard and musician is possible a good idea. I also am not sure I'd buy Ironfists on the bulls. While the choice between extra attack and 6+ wardsave in combat is nice, 5 points a model is quite a lot. 40 points is 20 Gnoblars!

immortal git
16-11-2010, 22:10
ahhh, i misread that, thats very interesting, i can see a third scraplauncher coming soon

MAD MAN-A-TRON
16-11-2010, 22:36
expect an edit soon then, hopefully i'll be able to get a game in this week

Torpedo Vegas
17-11-2010, 00:09
ahhh, i misread that, thats very interesting, i can see a third scraplauncher coming soon
That is basically this entire thread in a nutshell. @MAD MAN-A-TRON, good luck with your new and improved list bro.