PDA

View Full Version : Chaos lord Builds

theorox
11-11-2010, 10:21
Hi guys! I want to see some Chaos Lord builds. Please also tell us what you use the particular build for.

Here's a few to start this off:

Chaos Lord
Talisman of Preservation
Helm of Many eyes
Charmed shield
Sword of Might
Mark of Tzeentch
Disc of Tzeentch

335p.

5 Str 6 ASF Attacks, wich will often reroll to hit because of high Initiative. Very durable, a 2+ AS and 3+ Ward, and ignores the first hit on a 2+, wich is handy for cannonballs. Could downgrade the ward to get a better weapon.

Chaos Lord
Mark of Khorne
Axe of Khorne
Dawnstone
Charmed shield
Helm of many eyes
Juggernaut

380p

A bit similar to the above build as they share two magic items, but there the similarities stop. This guy is killy. 6 Str 6 ASF Killing blow attacks, wich will often reroll to hit due to high initiative. 2 Str 5 attacks and a stomp from the Juggernaut.

I haven't included any gifts here, you can use them however you want for whatever you are facing. These are just some basic builds that fills niches in my army.

Theo

Althwen
11-11-2010, 10:49
Chaos Lord
Tzeentch
Great weapon
Barded Chaos steed
5++ amulet from BRB ( can't remember the name
Dragon Helm.

This guy is uber cheap for a Chaos Lord. I believe 290 pts or something. I don't have my book with me, so I can't check.
He has 5 str 7 attacks with always strike last, but his T5, 1+ 4++ and 2++ against flaming will keep him safe from almost everything, including the lore of metal.

Give him the book of Secrets for a bit more versatility, but since I tend to run a lvl 2 and a lvl 1 as well, he doesn't need the book as there's never enough dice to go around.

Basically, this is a good start to build on. The other trickster's hand is nice when facing Daemons, etc. etc.

ROCKY
11-11-2010, 16:27
hmmm my chaos lord (on foot) enchanted shield, talisman of preservation, mok, sword of +2 attacks, stream of corruption (the breath thingy) and sopophoric musk (the one where they roll another dice and take the lowest why the enemy runs). this is a very nasty build. 2+armor save, 4+ward, 8(!) S5 attacks at WS8 and 2D6 S3 attacks with -1 armor saves, plus screwing your break distance. he can cause whole units to disappear. hes 375pts i believe.

Draconian77
11-11-2010, 16:33
Chaos Lord
Mark of Khorne
Juggernaut
Halberd
Crimson Armour of Dargan
Helm of Command
Dawnstone

-6 S6 attacks, 2 S5 and 1 S5 stomp.
-A 1+ re-rollable armour save and Stubborn.
-Cannot be Cannon sniped or Killing Blowed.

I can't remember how much he is...but he's worth every penny. ;)

GreySeerZ
11-11-2010, 16:57
I actually just ran a battle last night vs. my friends magic heavy high elves, 3k points. I was sooo tempted to take a dragon lord, but haven't really heard of any good builds for one, any suggestions???

On another note the lord I did take with a unit of knights with MoT and blasted standard is below. This unit tore through 30 bowmen w/ mage, lion chariot, 20 sword-masters and an archmage, only losing 2 models. Sure I had some ridiculously good rolls, but he was beast and non-killable.

Chaos Lord
MoK
Juggernaught
Crown of Everlasting Conquest
Dragonhelm
Sword of Swift Slaying
Tricksters Other Shard

1+/4+ with a 2+ against flaming that would negate the 4+ regen. 6 attacks that ASF with most likely re-rolls to hit(didn't effect last nights battle though in challenges he was at least hitting nobles first), and rerolled enemy ward saves (my friend cast spell that gave archers 5+ ward and I laughed as my lord killed 5, 3 of which failed their re-rolled ward).

I admit the only reason I stuck the crown and dragonhelm on the Khorne Lord was because I was also running my Sorc Lord on Disc with 4+ ward talisman. The ability to give both lord characters basically a 4+ regen and 3+ ward save is awesome. They never die and do tons of damage, one through killyness (I found that Lords do enough damage in general, survivability makes sure they keep doing it) and magic.

ROCKY
11-11-2010, 17:12
I actually just ran a battle last night vs. my friends magic heavy high elves, 3k points. I was sooo tempted to take a dragon lord, but haven't really heard of any good builds for one, any suggestions???

On another note the lord I did take with a unit of knights with MoT and blasted standard is below. This unit tore through 30 bowmen w/ mage, lion chariot, 20 sword-masters and an archmage, only losing 2 models. Sure I had some ridiculously good rolls, but he was beast and non-killable.

Chaos Lord
MoK
Juggernaught
Dragonhelm
Sword of Swift Slaying
Tricksters Other Shard

1+/4+ with a 2+ against flaming that would negate the 4+ regen. 6 attacks that ASF with most likely re-rolls to hit(didn't effect last nights battle though in challenges he was at least hitting nobles first), and rerolled enemy ward saves (my friend cast spell that gave archers 5+ ward and I laughed as my lord killed 5, 3 of which failed their re-rolled ward).

I admit the only reason I stuck the crown and dragonhelm on the Khorne Lord was because I was also running my Sorc Lord on Disc with 4+ ward talisman. The ability to give both lord characters basically a 4+ regen and 3+ ward save is awesome. They never die and do tons of damage, one through killyness (I found that Lords do enough damage in general, survivability makes sure they keep doing it) and magic.

your lord is very killable. anyone with killing blow will KO your lord instantly, you do not get regens against killing blow and you do not get an armor save. if you invest in a very expesive lord i would suggest taking a ward save of some kind.

GreySeerZ
11-11-2010, 18:01
your lord is very killable. anyone with killing blow will KO your lord instantly, you do not get regens against killing blow and you do not get an armor save. if you invest in a very expesive lord i would suggest taking a ward save of some kind.

I love how everyone thinks in absolutes and avoids the actual tactics of the game, though I do understand theorycrafting is all hypothetical. Armies (with several small exceptions) will most likely have 1 character with KB and 1 unit that have KB weapons. Your assuming that every game my opponent can and would take that unit/character and b-line it for my lord, make it to him, and kill him. You are also assuming that I, during setup, would place my character in a position opposite a unit I know has killing blow, or across from the opposing lord or special character that I know has KB... If he is dumb enough to make his focus killing my lord, he has lost. If I am dumb enough to set my lord up to die, I'm an idiot.

I have an entire army of deadly units/characters moving across the board. While he is focusing on repositioning his units to get KB in base contact with my Lord while my Sorc lord, hellcannons and warriors chew through his units, thats fine by me. People assume that KB is the be all end all of warhammer, and that Lords without KB protection are guaranteed to die, when simple tactics and thought while deployment should negate it 90% of the time. The times my lord will die from KB, which is probably somewhere close to one out of every ten games, I would like to believe that the rest of my army will succeed in some way, most likely due to a change of tactics on my opponents behalf.

The nine other games, where my Lord is chewing through units and hardly takes a scratch makes me believe that it is a viable tactic. I've played 7 games with this lord in 8th and have yet to come into contact with a model armed with KB. He has also never died in any of these games (playing against a competitive group with VC, DoC, Skaven, Empire and HE). The closest hes come to dying is against magic that causes stat tests and a couple cannon shots to the face, which luckily I was able to save or the wound d6 was low.

Leth Shyish'phak
11-11-2010, 18:07
My various Chaos Lords:

1. MoK, dragon, shield, word of agony, hellfire sword, helm of many eyes

If he's not in a challenge, whatever unit he fights wll be torn to pieces. If he is in a challenge, his opponent will probably die and with the D3+1 wounds per hit the dragon not attacking isn't much of a problem. Any monster or unit of monstrous stuff that gets in his way might as well roll over. Only things that really bother him are massed warmachines and some spells (and tight budgets... he's not cheap).

2. MoK, shield, sword of bloodshed, dragonhelm, helm of many eyes, word of agony

Mount is optional, I've only used him on foot. He's best against lightly armoured stuff (unless the razor standard is sitting nearby), although 9A at Ws8, S5, I7 with ASF is never bad. Also, he wears two helmets at the same time, he must be good. :cool:

3. MoK, juggernaut (or horse and shield), word of agony, daemonsword, dawnstone

Kills things. Kills things dead. Then kills himself. :eyebrows: Really dishes out the damage with 7-10A at S6-8 and then 2A at S5 with a S5 stomp for fun. has a 1+ re-rollable armour save, so fairly hard to kill (avoid things with killing blow...) and at worst gets a 6+ re-rollable save against himself.

4. MoT, shield, word of agony, sword of anti-heroes, talisman of preservation, helm of many eyes

Again, horse is optional, I like to run him with warriors. This one is really quite hard to kill, enemy characters are generally the ones with the best chance of killing him, but the more characters that come to try their luck, the stronger he gets.

GreySeerZ
11-11-2010, 18:32
My various Chaos Lords:

1. MoK, dragon, shield, word of agony, hellfire sword, helm of many eyes

If he's not in a challenge, whatever unit he fights wll be torn to pieces. If he is in a challenge, his opponent will probably die and with the D3+1 wounds per hit the dragon not attacking isn't much of a problem. Any monster or unit of monstrous stuff that gets in his way might as well roll over. Only things that really bother him are massed warmachines and some spells (and tight budgets... he's not cheap).

I like this build as a combaty unit killer. But the lack of survival worries me. Does anyone have a dragonlord example they've had success with that includes some survival items? Or if killy just the way to go. He will be in combat a lot. But its the moments he's not that worries me

ROCKY
11-11-2010, 20:11
I love how everyone thinks in absolutes and avoids the actual tactics of the game, though I do understand theorycrafting is all hypothetical. Armies (with several small exceptions) will most likely have 1 character with KB and 1 unit that have KB weapons. Your assuming that every game my opponent can and would take that unit/character and b-line it for my lord, make it to him, and kill him. You are also assuming that I, during setup, would place my character in a position opposite a unit I know has killing blow, or across from the opposing lord or special character that I know has KB... If he is dumb enough to make his focus killing my lord, he has lost. If I am dumb enough to set my lord up to die, I'm an idiot.

I have an entire army of deadly units/characters moving across the board. While he is focusing on repositioning his units to get KB in base contact with my Lord while my Sorc lord, hellcannons and warriors chew through his units, thats fine by me. People assume that KB is the be all end all of warhammer, and that Lords without KB protection are guaranteed to die, when simple tactics and thought while deployment should negate it 90% of the time. The times my lord will die from KB, which is probably somewhere close to one out of every ten games, I would like to believe that the rest of my army will succeed in some way, most likely due to a change of tactics on my opponents behalf.

The nine other games, where my Lord is chewing through units and hardly takes a scratch makes me believe that it is a viable tactic. I've played 7 games with this lord in 8th and have yet to come into contact with a model armed with KB. He has also never died in any of these games (playing against a competitive group with VC, DoC, Skaven, Empire and HE). The closest hes come to dying is against magic that causes stat tests and a couple cannon shots to the face, which luckily I was able to save or the wound d6 was low.

No one is arguing whether it is a viable build or not, and trust me a good general does not thing in absolutes. I have played for a very long time and It is just a common sense that regen is not as protective as a ward save. and while you may have some beginners luck in not running across many KB heroes/units/things I have and it usually happens when you least expect it. also, you are investing in 60 points of gear while you could have done the same at 35 or 45 points that will give the same amount of protection. all i was referring to is that it is not THAT safe of a build and it is too expensive. I am not saying it is not vaiable, what i am saying is that it is KILLABLE. If you feel the need to express harshly everytime somone disagrees with a build or points out a flaw, or that you fear to be viewed as "inadequit" then please look at a different site. people here share their view to come up with incredible builds/tactics to help. I am merely suggesting there is cheaper and safer alternatives. you do not have to agree, but you should not treat every remark as an attack.

Enigmatik1
11-11-2010, 21:06
Hrm...let's see. If I were running a Chaos Lord, I'd use the following:

Chaos Lord
Mark of Slaanesh - Slaanesh has champions too, you know!
Distendable Maw - OMNOMNOMNOM!
Rapier of Ecstasy
Crown of Everlasting Conquest - One must have some kind of additional save
Dragonbane Gem - FU Lore of Metal
Chaos Armor
Shield

Not optimal by any means...but fluffy and funny! Two ways to potentially instajib a character in BtB contact either via S or I (since few armies feature characters who possess high values in both). Just make sure you have a Shadow or Death Sorcerer handy to tip the scales in your favor even more. The Crown and the Gem cover one another to ensure a good save against any attack that allows a save.

GreySeerZ
11-11-2010, 21:47
No one is arguing whether it is a viable build or not, and trust me a good general does not thing in absolutes. I have played for a very long time and It is just a common sense that regen is not as protective as a ward save. and while you may have some beginners luck in not running across many KB heroes/units/things I have and it usually happens when you least expect it. also, you are investing in 60 points of gear while you could have done the same at 35 or 45 points that will give the same amount of protection. all i was referring to is that it is not THAT safe of a build and it is too expensive. I am not saying it is not vaiable, what i am saying is that it is KILLABLE. If you feel the need to express harshly everytime somone disagrees with a build or points out a flaw, or that you fear to be viewed as "inadequit" then please look at a different site. people here share their view to come up with incredible builds/tactics to help. I am merely suggesting there is cheaper and safer alternatives. you do not have to agree, but you should not treat every remark as an attack.

I'm sorry if you took offense to my comment. It wasn't meant to be an attack. If I overreacted its because of the over-generalization that I've encountered in the past, on both this site and others. I think if you had listed examples or personal experience I would have reacted differently rather than just simply stating that he is VERY killable, as this is untrue. There are circumstances where he CAN be killed, but the majority of circumstances result in him being unharmed. There are items in warhammer that negate ward saves or require re-rolls (ex. tricksters shard) as well, meaning that ward saves are not universally better. It all depends on the situation. I also believe that you didn't realize that the comments in my original quote were in reference to that specific game. There was no intention of generalizing that he was non-killable.

On the other hand, better explaination of my build would have helped. Obviously if my Sorc lord was using the 4+ ward save my Lord could not. I should have also stated that I gave the 5+ ward save to my tzeentch BSB for a 4+ ward for him (essential for BSBs these days). In this instance 60 points for an additional character with a 4+ extra save in most circumstances is excellent in my opinion, especially for a character whose purpose is to inflict damage on units, and survive challenges from non-lord characters if not win them.

It is also important to note that in my group we do not disclose magic items prior to the battle. Although my opponents have become accustomed with my Lords build it is not set in stone, and changes depending on army size. They have no way of knowing whether my Lord has a 4+ ward or 4+ regen, and I have used this to my advantage when they do redirect KB or flaming characters towards him.

I realize that my Lord is killable, and non-killable might have been the wrong choice of words. But simply stating that hes very killable and not taking into account tactics/setup/situations might have derailed other users from possibly using this build in a similar fashion as I do and I wanted to emphasize that KB is not game winning to other readers as well, as I'm sure you realize. So again sorry if you took it personally, I didn't mean for it to come out that way, and I will be careful with word choice in the future.

Fox Of 9
11-11-2010, 21:54
Warseer where conversations get mis-interpreted.

GreySeerZ
11-11-2010, 22:00
Anyways, back to the topic, has anyone used distendable maw with success? I realize its not a uber reliable tactic, but if I ever pulled it off it seems quite epic.

Dreadgrass
11-11-2010, 22:21
Im not a fan of dragon-riding characters but 1 build thats stuck with me and looks quite good was posted in the WoC tactics thread:

Chaos Armor, Shield, Stream of Corruption, Sword of Might, Crown of Everlasting Conquering, Dragon Helmet on Chaos Dragon.

costs exactly 700 points, so always has Grandfather's Blessing...and is both in attacking quite hard with 3 breath weapons over 3 turns and quite resilient as well with a 1+ armor save and 4+ regen, which is replaced by a 2+ flame save in case!

If you can use the speed of the dragon to dodge KB, this guy should carve through most targets and be fairly resilient to boot. Theres something about having 3 breath weapons that is very appealing... There should still be quite a few points for items as well if you really wanted to shell out...

GreySeerZ
11-11-2010, 22:45
Im not a fan of dragon-riding characters but 1 build thats stuck with me and looks quite good was posted in the WoC tactics thread:

If you can use the speed of the dragon to dodge KB, this guy should carve through most targets and be fairly resilient to boot. Theres something about having 3 breath weapons that is very appealing... There should still be quite a few points for items as well if you really wanted to shell out...

Thanks! I'll give it a shot this weekend, and see how it works.

On a side note here is a fun build I've never ran, but might at some point:

Lord
MoN
Chariot
Fencer's Blades
Armor of Damnation
Necrotic Phylactery
Acid Ichor

Only has a 3+ regular save, so probably unviable, but with chariot could hopefully get into combat fast and is -1 to hit in shooting. Once in combat most enemies will be hitting on 5s with rerolls, essential meaning no hits in combat. While he gets 6 st 5 attacks back. Also wounds caused to him result in S4 back as well. this is purely fluffy, but I'll run it at some point!

Witchblade
12-11-2010, 01:06
Chaos Lord
Mark of Khorne
Juggernaut
Halberd
Crimson Armour of Dargan
Helm of Command
Dawnstone

-6 S6 attacks, 2 S5 and 1 S5 stomp.
-A 1+ re-rollable armour save and Stubborn.
-Cannot be Cannon sniped or Killing Blowed.

I can't remember how much he is...but he's worth every penny. ;)
Best build in the thread, notably because it does not use the talisman of preservation or the enchanted shield, which are privy to the mandatory sorceror lord. Also, it fulfills a function that more troops do not: a mobile anvil and support unit in one. Be sure to always give chaos lords the stream of corruption and the soporific musk though.

In the rare event that your sorceror lord does not have the talisman of preservation, this chaos lord is pretty beast:
MoT
Talisman of Preservation
Dragon Helm
Barded Steed
Halberd
Helm of Many Eyes

1+/3++ (2++ vs. fire), 5/6 S6 ASF attacks. Relatively cheap. Great all-round combat character.

Place him in a unit of knights and send them at the opponent's hardest unit. MoN + Banner of Rage and MoK + Standard of Discipline are both good.

Chaos lords on foot are generally inferior to buying more infantry.

Dreadgrass
12-11-2010, 01:10
My Sorcerer lord normally tots the Armour of Destiny so he can also take the Necrotic Phylacerty as his talisman item...

1st time in my warhammer experience that I actually WANTED to fail a Look out sir! lol

Sanguis Dominus
12-11-2010, 01:46
Chaos Lord
Shield
MoK
Runeshield
Runesword
335 points.

7 Strength 6 attacks at WS 9, and negating magic weapons makes it a very good build for character hunting. Especially considering you have to make challenges wheneger you can.

Yehoshua
12-11-2010, 03:40
GreySeerZ, I pimped your build:

Chaos Lord
MoK
Juggernaught
Armor of Destiny
Necrotic Phylactery
Sword of Swift Slaying
Tricksters Other Shard

GreySeerZ
12-11-2010, 12:47
GreySeerZ, I pimped your build:

Chaos Lord
MoK
Juggernaught
Armor of Destiny
Necrotic Phylactery
Sword of Swift Slaying
Tricksters Other Shard

Yes, yes you did. I always look at Armor of Destiny and instantly think, heavy armor...why would I take that over chaos armor. But then I forget about the juggernaught, so basically this guy with a shield gets a 1+/4++, Immune to poison/death/nurgle/characteristics, ASF, and enemy rerolled ward saves. I think we have a winner here. I already believe 6 St 5 WS 8 attacks is enough to kill most things. Or atleast mow through units in general, especially with ASF. Plus the juggers attacks and stomp this build is pretty sick. Take this guy, mount him on a dragon and give him the breathe attack and he would still have 3+/4+ which isn't bad.

If your not too worried about ASF you could always take Glaive of Putrefaction or Whip of Subversion, which in my opinion are also pretty awesome weapons. Whip especially considering it basically negates an enemy characters attacks, and with In 7 we are usually going first. I wonder how this works in challenges though?

Chaos Lord
Shield
MoK
Runeshield
Runesword
335 points.

7 Strength 6 attacks at WS 9, and negating magic weapons makes it a very good build for character hunting. Especially considering you have to make challenges wheneger you can.

I like the killyness. Personally I like survivability more, and with only a 3+ save I could see this guy taking some heat. Against characters with lower Initiate you have a pretty good change of doing a wound or two, but most likely there doing several back after and your probably only rolling 5+ saves (with the amount of characters using GWs or St boosters). I just feel for 325 you could create a lord that has just as much chance to kill, but also survive.

I also feel, with the amount of poison/kb/flaming/etc. running around these days, finding a way to get immunity to one of them gives the character a lot more functionality. Pick that one enemy unit you can stomp that has the ability your immune to and deploy near it. While its difficult to position units this way, deploying characters last basically allows you to setup such instances. The daemons player in our group gets superbly pissed when our VC player uses 1 mounted wight lord with dragonhelm, and another with dragonbane gem, and both proceed to charge his flamers and tie them up the rest of the game due to their 1+ saves and 2+ ward vs flaming.

Leth Shyish'phak
12-11-2010, 13:52
I like this build as a combaty unit killer. But the lack of survival worries me. Does anyone have a dragonlord example they've had success with that includes some survival items? Or if killy just the way to go. He will be in combat a lot. But its the moments he's not that worries me

Who needs defensive items when you hit as hard as he does? Just pray hard to the Blood God and everything will be fine.

He hasn't actually died yet, neither has his dragon. As long as you keep him away from stuff like white lions or massive units of grave guard, his ability to kill stuff tends to keep him alive. Never played against a gunline with him, but I suppose he'd just have to hide until other units killed any cannons.

GreySeerZ
12-11-2010, 15:37
Yea, I guess when running a dragon lord it really comes down to what army you face. I occasionally run my dwarven gun-line and so far my cannons/organguns/grudgethrowers have downed countless greater daemons, vampire lords on dragons and bells/plague furnaces. The issue is not so much getting into combat, but most likely you decimate the unit, cause it to flee, and either stand in the open, or pursue, and hope to advance past the warmachine's vision, wasting a turn for your expensive lord to make back points. I guess it does work for denial, and with finesse you could keep him alive and kicking. I know we are talking about Lords, but I wonder if a Sorc Lord on dragon has any feasibility as this would allow him to at least cast magic on those off turns.

Avian
12-11-2010, 16:34
Mark of Tzeentch
Talisman of 5+ Ward (4+ total, good enough)
Sword of Always Strikes First (for the re-rolls)
Crown of Stubborn (always handy)
Shield of ignore first hit on 2+ (cheaper than a normal one)

I run him in a unit of Tzeentch Warriors with the +1 Ld banner (so Stubborn on Ld 10) and a Sorcerer with the Favour (to get something useful out of a Warshrine).

sulla
12-11-2010, 19:44
Hrm...let's see. If I were running a Chaos Lord, I'd use the following:

Chaos Lord
Mark of Slaanesh - Slaanesh has champions too, you know!
Distendable Maw - OMNOMNOMNOM!
Rapier of Ecstasy
Crown of Everlasting Conquest - One must have some kind of additional save
Dragonbane Gem - FU Lore of Metal
Chaos Armor
Shield

Not optimal by any means...but fluffy and funny! Two ways to potentially instajib a character in BtB contact either via S or I (since few armies feature characters who possess high values in both). Just make sure you have a Shadow or Death Sorcerer handy to tip the scales in your favor even more. The Crown and the Gem cover one another to ensure a good save against any attack that allows a save.Nice build. Not overly powerful, but very characterful.

Coragus
12-11-2010, 19:56
I've run two types in the past.

Lord
Mark of Khorne
Deamonic Mount
Aethersword
Runeshield

Lord
Mark of Tzeentch
Disk
Skull of Katum

Note that #2 has only been played in one 8th ed game is and under reconsideration after blowing up in turn 2.

Enigmatik1
12-11-2010, 19:57
Nice build. Not overly powerful, but very characterful.

Why thank you, sir. It's the only way I tend to design characters when given options. Since I love me some Slaanesh, I figured I'd go with what I knew. I have been trying for ages to get the Whip of Subversion into a list, but that definitely feels more like an Exalted Hero weapon as opposed to a Chaos Lord weapon.

However, I've also been mulling over what I dub "Lord of the Three Crowns"

Chaos Lord
Mark of Slaanesh
Chaos Gift to taste, but let's go Soporific Musk
Warrior's Bane
Crown of Command
Dragonhelm (Crown of Dragons)

As for the Whip of Subversion in challenges, I'd guess that it works normally. As I recently learned, just because we move the models locked in a challenge to the side, doesn't mean they are no longer a part of the unit they came from. You'd may want to consider taking the Potion of Strength along with the Whip though. This way, you're less likely to flub to wound rolls against high Toughness characters or monsters.

Tarian
12-11-2010, 20:05
I always liked the Chaos Runesword, 4+ Ward item, MoT Lord on a Steed. Or give him a Halberd instead, and toss Armor of Damnation or the Crimson Armor.

Wyrmnax
12-11-2010, 20:16
Umm...

on the current edition of warhammer, i wouldnt bring a chaos lord unless:

1) He is on a Dragon
2) I already have a lv4

Either way, it probably means the game is at ~3k points.

Anyway, if i were to field i lord id think something like this:

Lord
MoT
Talisman of Preservation (if its not on the BSB - endurance if it is)
Axe of Khorne
Enchanted/Charmed Shield

That would give me 2+/3++, and killing blow. Good enough to hunt other characters - and that is what i believe my Lord would be doing.

theorox
13-11-2010, 12:42
Here's a tank build that could be cool:

Chaos Lord
Mark of Tzeentch
Halberd
Disc of Tzeentch
Armour of Damnation
Talisman of reservation
Dragonhelm

So...how do you kill this guy? Answer: You don't. :D

2+ Armoursave, enemy rerolls all hits, 3+ Wardsave and 2+ Ward against Flaming attacks.

Theo

Yehoshua
13-11-2010, 14:57
Sorry theo, you have two items of magical armor there.

Lord_Elric
13-11-2010, 15:53

heya i just wanted to piont out that not taking a ward save on such an expensive character is the best of ideas tournament wise why it might be ok in your group. im not criticising your build atall just if you ever face DE with a cauldron of blood any unit your lord steps up to could potently end up with killing blow on them either on the turn they charge or on the second round of combat.....just a thought...

lewiss111
14-11-2010, 19:48
lord
khorne
armour of morslieb
helm of many eyes
shield
sword of strife

he comes in at 335. he is fairly cheap for a chaos lord, and he pumps out ridiculous amounts of damage.

because of his really high initiative, he will be getting 8 strength 5 re-roll to hit always strike first attacks. on top of that, he is immune to psychology, 3+ save, and 4+ ward against all mundane weapons- he is built to munch on infantry and troops.

he has been a bargain in tonnes of games, and he works even better when mounted on a dragon :D

_dandaman_
14-11-2010, 20:01
Chaos Lord:
- MoK
- Sword of Bloodshed
- Helm of Many Eyes
- Enchanted Shield

Screw survivability, a +2 save is good enough, and i've had more fun telling my opponents I get 9 (almost always) rerollable S5 attacks than i've had in a long time. Plus he kills anywhere between 6-7 RnF troops per turn.

Lord_Elric
15-11-2010, 00:29
Chaos Lord:
- MoK
- Sword of Bloodshed
- Helm of Many Eyes
- Enchanted Shield

Screw survivability, a +2 save is good enough, and i've had more fun telling my opponents I get 9 (almost always) rerollable S5 attacks than i've had in a long time. Plus he kills anywhere between 6-7 RnF troops per turn.

im guessing you dont play many DE players then as the assassin i take would bring that 300pt beast down with him on the charge more often than not

GreySeerZ
15-11-2010, 02:31
im guessing you dont play many DE players then as the assassin i take would bring that 300pt beast down with him on the charge more often than not

Hmmm. I kinda agree. As awesome as a purely offensive lord is. You will have several games where he gets nullified early by characters/warmachines that cost half his points.

heya i just wanted to piont out that not taking a ward save on such an expensive character is the best of ideas tournament wise why it might be ok in your group. im not criticising your build atall just if you ever face DE with a cauldron of blood any unit your lord steps up to could potently end up with killing blow on them either on the turn they charge or on the second round of combat.....just a thought...

Yea, I have little experience with DE. I just thought this build was conveniently defensive considering I had already used my 5+/4+ ward options elswhere. However someone later posted that there is a 4+ ward magic armor which I would definitely use instead.

However, I've also been mulling over what I dub "Lord of the Three Crowns"

Chaos Lord
Mark of Slaanesh
Chaos Gift to taste, but let's go Soporific Musk
Warrior's Bane
Crown of Command
Dragonhelm (Crown of Dragons)

As for the Whip of Subversion in challenges, I'd guess that it works normally. As I recently learned, just because we move the models locked in a challenge to the side, doesn't mean they are no longer a part of the unit they came from. You'd may want to consider taking the Potion of Strength along with the Whip though. This way, you're less likely to flub to wound rolls against high Toughness characters or monsters.
Crown of Dragons (Dragonhelm)

I like these different builds, unique, but still effective. Yea, I've been trying to create good builds using the whip or glaive, as I think they are both amazing weapons when they wound.

Enigmatik1
15-11-2010, 04:09
I like these different builds, unique, but still effective. Yea, I've been trying to create good builds using the whip or glaive, as I think they are both amazing weapons when they wound.

Thanks, Grey. I'm not a fan of how Slaanesh got crapped on with the overnerfing of psychology, but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the Dark Prince. Variety is the spice of life and honestly, we need more Slaanesh and Nurgle representation on the tabletop even if they aren't always the most powerful option. There were a couple of pretty good MoNurgle ones earlier. I'll try to come up with a couple fluffy and somewhat effective options later.

Dreadgrass
15-11-2010, 05:04
I'm working on a Palaquin Nurgle-lord build and had a query,

His Palaquin makes him replace 4 models (2 front rank, 2 2nd rank), does that mean you loose the supporting attacks from those models...? Seems likely which limits my diabolical plans... :confused:

MasterSparks
15-11-2010, 06:07
I'm working on a Palaquin Nurgle-lord build and had a query,

His Palaquin makes him replace 4 models (2 front rank, 2 2nd rank), does that mean you loose the supporting attacks from those models...? Seems likely which limits my diabolical plans... :confused:

I think you'll be fine there. The rules for Support Attacks say that any model directly behind another that's in base contact with an enemy will get to make an attack - it mentions nothing about the base size of the model in base contact. Page 48-49, by the way~

Eta
15-11-2010, 13:22
I want to try this one out as a roadblock against horde units:

Chaos Lord
Shield, Barded Steed, Mark of Tzeentch
Dawnstone
Armour of Morrslieb
Crown of Command
Biting Blade

1+ re-rollable AS and a 3+ ward save against non-magical attacks. Paired with stubborn he should hold up any unit he has engaged.

ROCKY
15-11-2010, 14:56

Being that he has asf as well they would technically kill each other, but yea its a waste of 300pts, unless he has crimson armor of dargan, immune to killing blow, and necrotic phylactery, which makes poison useless. so then your assassin is basically S4 annoying squishy and dead. most people have an idea what assassins can do and to be fair they are not worth it in 8th.

Morkash
15-11-2010, 15:12
Rocky is right. The Dark elves have aenough annoying toys, they don't have to waste points for assassins. I rather fear that our dear Chaos Lord (There's my Nurgle General on Dragon build!) gets tar pitted by a Pendant wielding Hb. :(

ROCKY
15-11-2010, 18:09
Rocky is right. The Dark elves have aenough annoying toys, they don't have to waste points for assassins. I rather fear that our dear Chaos Lord (There's my Nurgle General on Dragon build!) gets tar pitted by a Pendant wielding Hb. :(

lol there is a counter to that as well! challenge/accept challenge with the champion and swat his unit around!

GreySeerZ
15-11-2010, 18:31
Quick tactical question here. What size base should be used for disc and steed of slaanesh? They are listed as calvary. So I would assume that they would use regular knight sized bases, however, they come with the larger square bases... I only ask because the ability to pick the smaller base would reduce incoming attacks

Tarian
15-11-2010, 18:33
Typically, I think they use the base the model is supplied with.

Lord_Elric
15-11-2010, 18:44
lol there is a counter to that as well! challenge/accept challenge with the champion and swat his unit around!

sooo if you chalenge with a champion then i accept with my own champion?? and i just dont challenge as i get to place the sin where i like i personaly always take one as its always nice to let your opponent wonder wear the sin is tbh

And on the thing that negates piosoned attacks special rule would that effect manbane for example??

ROCKY
15-11-2010, 19:13
sooo if you chalenge with a champion then i accept with my own champion?? and i just dont challenge as i get to place the sin where i like i personaly always take one as its always nice to let your opponent wonder wear the sin is tbh

And on the thing that negates piosoned attacks special rule would that effect manbane for example??

i was referring to the unkillable (kinda) dreadlord. if the dreadlord challenges have the camp accept, or you go ahead and challenge with your champ. and yes manbane will not work, read your dark elf book pg 99. it says that they have no benefit against things that are immune to poson. so basically the assassin will have his butt handed to him.

ROCKY
15-11-2010, 19:16
Quick tactical question here. What size base should be used for disc and steed of slaanesh? They are listed as calvary. So I would assume that they would use regular knight sized bases, however, they come with the larger square bases... I only ask because the ability to pick the smaller base would reduce incoming attacks

that is a good question. I think however they are classified as monstrous cavalry in the brb. but if not then we will def see alot more of them on regular cav bases lol.

theorox
15-11-2010, 19:24
Sorry theo, you have two items of magical armor there.

Right, lol! :D

Theo

GreySeerZ
15-11-2010, 19:25
i was referring to the unkillable (kinda) dreadlord. if the dreadlord challenges have the camp accept, or you go ahead and challenge with your champ. and yes manbane will not work, read your dark elf book pg 99. it says that they have no benefit against things that are immune to poson. so basically the assassin will have his butt handed to him.

Yea, I find where most people mess up is the fact that attacks can still be directed at a character in base to base contact. I have purposely avoided challenging casters with my combat characters so they think, hmmm, no challenge, I'm in the clear, etc. and then I smack them down anyway. As a Lord of Chaos you must expect to run into challenges all the time though. Survival is key. But yea, i quoted this cause immune to poison = immune to manbane.

that is a good question. I think however they are classified as monstrous cavalry in the brb. but if not then we will def see alot more of them on regular cav bases lol.

Hmmm. Hopefully we can figure this out, Kerill posted a while ago:

Steed of Slaanesh- There is debate over whether this is a 50mm base or 25*50mm base, the WOC book clearly suggests (top of page 54) the latter is the case, but the latest model (for 6th edition where it was a multi-wound monster) is on a 50mm base. Cavalry base is obviously nicer for us, but regardless of the base size it does of course count as cavalry- and fast cavalry at that.

Cavalry ofcourse also means that he can recieve a 4+ LoS, which for a flanking slaanesh lord of death would be nice, running him by some marauders horsemen, etc.

theorox
15-11-2010, 19:29
Disc is 50x50 mm and Steed of Slaanesh is on a 25x50mm cavalry base. :)

Theo

Defender of Ulthuan
15-11-2010, 19:58
I'd love to throw a dragon around, but unfortunately in 8th you're stuck wishing until 2500pts.

So I don't use marks (northmen army, because I'm bleh to the Chaos), but here's my normal Lord, if I've lost my mind and didn't take the old L4 lore o't'heavens skien-weaver:

Norse Lord:
Sword of Swift Slaying
Dragonhelm
Shield
Talisman of Endurance
Crown of Command
320pts

Nothing fancy, but that's not what my army is about. My normal lord choice at 2k is:

Skein-Weaver(Sorcerer Lord):
lvl 4 (heavens)
Bloodskull Pendant
Talisman of Preservation
Dragonhelm
370pts

Again, not too fancy, but it works well and it's all about the feel.

GreySeerZ
16-11-2010, 04:58
Ok, my Slaaneshy flanker lord (would run down flanks with marauder horsemen and chariots). Might not be the best build, but tried to stay useful, while surviving, and providing crucial side flanks.

Chaos Lord
MoS
Whip of Subversion
Helm of Many Eyes
Armour of Destiny
Soporific Musk
Stream of Corruption

Has a 3+/4++ save, ASF (most likely with rerolls) and has the speed to pull off some flank charges on combined combats containing characters and monsters to pull off his Whip attack on. This combo would be so much more effective if I could fit a potion of strength in there too, but it is not possible with Helm of Many Eyes. And I'm assuming rerolls to hit will be more effective than easier to wound (atleast for most characters and some monsters).

The Stream is to help swing combats or just do ranged damage, and the soporific musk is to allow my Lord to chase down units while my blocks can get back to the fight.

Morkash
16-11-2010, 08:19
Hm, I also would base the disc on a 50x50 mm Base and the Steed on a 25x50 mm Cavalry base. The Chaosdragon, however...Good Ol' Baudros is on a 50x50 base, the newer High Elf Dragon on a Chariot base. So which one would be/was the base to go for you? I'm drawn towards a nice Chariot Base from Scibor...

Mullitron
16-11-2010, 17:37
Not an optimum build but i like

Chaos lord
mok
Axe of khorne
chaos rune shield
favour of the gods
word of agony
juggernaught

No re-rolls to hit like some other builds but 6 strength 6 hits with a high WS and killing blow isn't bad. Whilst for defence a 0+ save and negating the effects of enemy magic weapons improves its chances of survival. The gift helps with those all important duels and the two WS 5 strength 5 attacks from his mount cant hurt.

Oh and the models soo pretty

Wyrmnax
16-11-2010, 18:28
Since we are discussing Chaos Lords...

Anyone ever managed to get a decent Demonsword Lord?

Looks really good offensively, but every time i tried i end up with a dead lord early into the game. Eating almost all your equipament points makes for a very fragile Lord...

Enigmatik1
16-11-2010, 20:25
Since we are discussing Chaos Lords...

Anyone ever managed to get a decent Demonsword Lord?

Looks really good offensively, but every time i tried i end up with a dead lord early into the game. Eating almost all your equipament points makes for a very fragile Lord...

I tried last night...really hard. But the price tag is SO high and WoC has so many good options. It's not like my TK where I didn't mind giving my King the DoE because there wasn't much else to take. :D

Here's one that is gimmicky, but might work:

Chaos Lord
Mark of Nurgle
Stream of Corruption
Palanquin of Nurgle
Glaive of Putrefaction
Trickster's Helm
Blasphemous Amulet
Chaos Armor
Shield

In a unit of Chaos Warriors or Chosen also with the Mark of Nurgle and the Festering Shroud as their banner. We have means to floor an enemy's Toughness, then force them to test against it or suffer wounds. With Curse of the Leper active, it could get real ugly, real fast.

Harwammer
16-11-2010, 22:03
Strength 6, ASF and a wardsave of at least 4++ all seem popular components for builds.

One I like is a Tzeentch Lord on Chaos Steed with the 5++ (modded to 4++) ward item, Axe of Khorne, Helm of Many Eyes and a shield.

This cheeky chap is used in big games, leading a unit of chaos knights with the banner of rage!

6 str 6 ASF KB attacks, 1+, 4++ does pretty well against most targets.

A stripped down version would probably use a halberd and dragon helm instead of Axe of K and shield. This saves a few points at the cost of KB. Alternatively, I've also used him with the magic resistance shield instead of the ward; as he's often in challenges for combat (so doesn't care about step up) and as his challengers don't live long he doesn't need a ward, but his knight body guard does need the MR as they close distance.

GreySeerZ
17-11-2010, 15:11
Alright lord-builder pros. Got a challenge for you. I got a 3k battle coming up soon vs. my group's veteran DoC player. Since he plays them and only them for both 40k and fantasy he has multiples of every unit. Now, I'm almost 99% sure he will be running some nasty greater daemon (most likely not special characters, though they are allowed, he feels they're too cheesy). What I need is something to either tie up or kill the damn thing.

He can run all 4, so I need something diverse yet killer. I also need a form of transport. As most GDs can move 20 in a turn I need to head him off before he starts butchering my lines. Alternatively I want to silence a caster GD before he kills too much. For these reasons I was thinking of a tzeentch lord just for flying. Obviously a good ward save, and tricksters shard would be crucial.

Now if there is a unit that you think would perform better, I am all ears. I have also thought of pounding them with hellcannons.

Kharnathe
17-11-2010, 16:16
hmm specifically for killing a single uber model like that might be a role for the glaive of putrifaction and a strength potion.

lord
mok
jugg
glaive
strength potion
armour of destiny

or something

1+/4++ on defence, for offence you pop the pot then have 6 str 8 attacks, you only need one to get through. then finish it next turn.

Seville
17-11-2010, 18:03
I haven't run this one, but like the idea of it...

MoK
Juggernaut
Sword of Strife (+2 A)
Armor of Morslieb (4+ Ward vs non-magical)
Helm of Many Eyes (ASF / Stupid)
Stream of Corruption

This guy has to watch out for cannonballs, but could probably chew through whole units on his own once he gets in combat. 11 attacks hitting on 3s, 8 of those re-rollable, all at S5 and a 1+, 4+ save. And a breath attack to kick things off. Dude is beefy.

Or, another one that might be fun

MoT
Sword of Might (+1 S)
Armor of Destiny (Heavy Armor, 4+ Ward)
Dawnstone (Re-roll Failed Armor Saves)
Chaos Steed
Shield

2+ re-rollable armor save, 3+ ward. Not too much going on in the offense department, but, he'll never die!

Enigmatik1
17-11-2010, 18:53
^^

On your MoT build, why not just give him a mundane great weapon? With this guy's defenses, I don't see ASL being that big of a deterrent. You could then be cheeky and give him the Other Trickster's Shard to force your enemies to re-roll all successful Ward saves.

Seville
17-11-2010, 21:01
Yeah, that's a good idea, the only thing is that then he would have to drop the shield, and I am thinking a 3+ re-rollable armor save isn't really worth the points for the Dawnstone.

But I love the idea about The Other Trickster's Shard - so here goes.

MoT
Chaos Steed (+2 AS)
Dawnstone (Re-roll failed armor saves)
Other Trickster's Shard (Enemies re-roll successful ward saves)
Biting Blade
Shield

So he'll be nearly unkillable and will have some success with penetrating opponents' defenses. Cool!
2+ re-rollable armor save, 3+ ward. Not bad.

GreySeerZ
17-11-2010, 21:25
hmm specifically for killing a single uber model like that might be a role for the glaive of putrifaction and a strength potion.

lord
mok
jugg
glaive
strength potion
armour of destiny

or something

1+/4++ on defence, for offence you pop the pot then have 6 str 8 attacks, you only need one to get through. then finish it next turn.

I like the idea behind this build, assuming 6 attacks, 3 would hit, and likely 2 would wound giving him 2 times to fail his 5+. Once thats done he would definitely be a lot less effective. The only thing I hate about the Str potion is that it is used at the beginning of the turn, if he simply flees then its wasted. I guess that will just require some good maneuvering, or setting up an anvil and responding with a flank. I'm still trying to think of a Greater Daemon killer that flies though, or rides a steed of slaanesh, if he sets up on opposite side of the field I may not make it to him all battle... :(

Enigmatik1
17-11-2010, 21:41
Gotcha. Honestly, I completely overlooked the Dawnstone for some reason but I think you're right. Nice build!

Here's a simple one:

Chaos Lord
Mark of Nurgle
Stream of Corruption
Acid Ichor
Father of Blades
Armor of Damnation
Talisman of Protection
Shield
Palanquin of Nurgle (style) or Barded Chaos Steed (substance).

Now granted, this model a crappy Ward save but a 2+ armor save. Additionally, enemies have to re-roll all hits in close combat and if you roll a 1 you hit yourself. Even if you do hit and wound him, you take a S4 hit for your trouble. I gave him the Mark of Nurgle just to reduce WS for those instances in which it'll actually matter.

Kharnathe
17-11-2010, 22:22
I like the idea behind this build, assuming 6 attacks, 3 would hit, and likely 2 would wound giving him 2 times to fail his 5+. Once thats done he would definitely be a lot less effective. The only thing I hate about the Str potion is that it is used at the beginning of the turn, if he simply flees then its wasted. I guess that will just require some good maneuvering, or setting up an anvil and responding with a flank. I'm still trying to think of a Greater Daemon killer that flies though, or rides a steed of slaanesh, if he sets up on opposite side of the field I may not make it to him all battle... :(

yeah true. but then you win a moral victory over your oppenent for the rest of time that he ran away. its not a tourny winner but it is something

in all seriousness, iv been wanting to build a daemon killer killer too myself.

a disc lord.

Lord of Chaos
Mark of Tzeentch
disc
talisman of preservation
dragon helm
helm of many eyes
the other tricksters shard
halberd

total 343

3+/3++ asf str 6 and forces re rolls of wards and is flying.

Enigmatik1
17-11-2010, 23:04
yeah true. but then you win a moral victory over your oppenent for the rest of time that he ran away. its not a tourny winner but it is something

Yeah...imagine if he fled out of the range of the BSB and failed to rally?

/doh

Eta
18-11-2010, 07:00

He's even 2+/3++. When there is no Daemon to hunt, this build albeit expensive would be a good warmachine hunter, too.

GreySeerZ
18-11-2010, 15:45
Lord of Chaos
Mark of Tzeentch
disc
talisman of preservation
dragon helm
helm of many eyes
the other tricksters shard
halberd

total 343

I'm trying it this weekend. Since I have the limited edition Tzeentch sorc on disk (who I don't really want to convert due to his already badassedness), I think I'm going to find a way to give my gamesday model on disc a halberd...

Seville
18-11-2010, 18:32
What do you guys think of a super defensive Khorne lord?

MoK
Juggernaut Mount
Sword of Swift Slaying (ASF)
Dawnstone (Re-roll failed armor saves)
Stream of Corruption
Shield

1+ re-rollable armor save, 4+ ward, 6 (probably) re-rollable attacks and 3 from the juggy, then some more from the breath weapon. Nearly unkillable and decent damage output. Or should a Khorne Lord just be a beat stick and not worry about defense? Thoughts?

GreySeerZ
18-11-2010, 19:14
What do you guys think of a super defensive Khorne lord?

In my opinion defensive lords/characters are allways the best in an all-comers list. Although there might be instances where a purely offensive lord is amazing (battling hordes of weaklings) you will face gun line opponents who easily kill him first turn. The defensive lord still kills in droves while surviving other armies "Lord/Monster" killers. I like this build!

On a side note: Can a Lord with book of secrets take 3rd eye of Tzeentch as well?

Seville
18-11-2010, 19:26
On a side note: Can a Lord with book of secrets take 3rd eye of Tzeentch as well?

I believe so, yes, as the Book of Secrets makes the character a Level 1 Wizard for all intents and purposes. The frustrating thing is, Army Builder doesn't give you the option!

Yehoshua
19-11-2010, 00:35
The Other Trickster's Shard and the Helm of Many Eyes are both what, gentlemen?

Jericho
19-11-2010, 01:33
Third Eye is "Sorceror Only" and while the FAQ allows Demon Princes with purchased levels of magic to take it, it says nothing of Exalteds/Lords.

Anyway, I ran Book of Secrets/Spell Familiar/Talisman of Preservation on a Chaos Lord during my first ever game of 8th. Given a shield and mounted on a Chaos Steed and leading some Knights of Tzeentch into battle. He blew up a few Knights on turn 1 by miscasting Miasma, but he was pretty much the only thing in my army that didn't suck horribly that game. I wish I could remember what he had for his final magic allowance... oh well it probably wasn't important :p

sulla
19-11-2010, 02:48
Third Eye is "Sorceror Only" and while the FAQ allows Demon Princes with purchased levels of magic to take it, it says nothing of Exalteds/Lords.

Since the FAQ rewrites the book to 'treat the bearer as a level 1 wizard,'. That's enough to give permission IMO.

Enigmatik1
19-11-2010, 04:20

*In droning, bored schoolboy voice*

Enchaaaanted Items!

Seville
19-11-2010, 06:52
Since the FAQ rewrites the book to 'treat the bearer as a level 1 wizard,'. That's enough to give permission IMO.

I don't mean to turn this thread into a rules discussion, but I was about to cite the same thing. This pretty much settles it.

Hashulaman
19-11-2010, 10:09
I dont like putting Lords or Heroes on Discs as they would not be in infantry units for protection from enemy shooting/magic. I'd rather put the discs for sorcerers who make better use as flying artillery pieces. Plus if the IF/Miscast they blow noone up but themselves.

GreySeerZ
19-11-2010, 13:09

Yea, just read it, I didn't have my book on me til now.

OK, heres my flying Lord/Sorcerer:

Lord
MoT
Disc of Tzeentch
Book of Secrets
Talisman of Preservation
Third Eye of Tzeentch
Dragonhelm
Spell Familiar

For 378 pts You get 5 St 6 attacks, a 1+/3++ & 2++ fire save, and A level +2 wizard with 2 spells from death/shadow/fire. You also know any of your opponents spells, and can easily reposition/flank charge/warmachine hunt.

An alternative (to take advantage of shadow):

Lord
MoT
Disc of Tzeentch
Book of Secrets
Talisman of Preservation
Third Eye of Tzeentch
Sword of Swift Slaying
Charmed Shield

This gives you 5 Attacks at St 5 with ASF, a 2+/3++ with discounted hit(cannons inc), and the basic shadow spell for modifying an enemys initiative (for challenging lords). You also know every enemy spell.

Now I realize both of these builds would need other caster support. So probably 2 more lvl 2s for a total of 6 levels (basically). So we are probably looking at 2.5k or 3k battles. But it would also mean not including a Sorcerer Lord which is what I'm attempting to do. I would also include a puppet on one of the other sorcerers. The nice thing about Shadow is that most of the spells are castable in combat, meaning that you can get your lord stuck in and still cast. I might also run this with an exalted on disc as well, for some tag team charges or split hunting.

I dont like putting Lords or Heroes on Discs as they would not be in infantry units for protection from enemy shooting/magic. I'd rather put the discs for sorcerers who make better use as flying artillery pieces. Plus if the IF/Miscast they blow noone up but themselves.

I think the idea here is to create a fast lord which isn't hindered by terrain/enemy units shielding valuable war machines and missile troops (which are usually mage bunkers). Getting off a crucial 2nd turn charge to force these to flee or moving to the flanks for supporting charges is where the disc is key. Its ability to reposition the lord right where you need him ins invaluable against some armies. Now other armies might destroy him fast, but with a 1+/3++ he will be staying around a lot longer, while also drawing fire.

GreySeerZ
20-11-2010, 22:05
Anyone ever try one of these lvl 2 caster lords?

FallenAfh
22-11-2010, 14:02
Having fun with this build

MoT
Disc
Chaos Daemonsword
Shield
Dragonhelm
Pidgeon Plucker Pendant
Ironcurse Icon
Word of Agony

Average 8.33 Str 7 attacks
1+ Armor Save
4+ Ward against wounds from the sword and other flyers (also 5+ armor for the sword)
2+ Ward against flaming attacks
5+ Ward against warmachine attacks
Vanilla 6+ ward against anything else.
And Word for emergencies and removing champions and such

Avian
22-11-2010, 14:42
He wouldn't get the Ward against himself, since the Chaos Lord doesn't have the Fly special rule.

Lord_Elric
22-11-2010, 14:51
Having fun with this build

MoT
Disc
Chaos Daemonsword
Shield
Dragonhelm
Pidgeon Plucker Pendant
Ironcurse Icon
Word of Agony

Average 8.33 Str 7 attacks
1+ Armor Save
4+ Ward against wounds from the sword and other flyers (also 5+ armor for the sword)
2+ Ward against flaming attacks
5+ Ward against warmachine attacks
Vanilla 6+ ward against anything else.
And Word for emergencies and removing champions and such

why not just take the armour of destiny and get a 3+ ward save against everythin???? id take that any day tbh

Take that with the MR1 item and get 2+ against magic too ? or again the flame gem for 2+ ward against flamming

Actualy just did a bit of reading and ive come up with this if it wouold work??

Chaos rune shield (null magic items)
Talisman of preservation (4++)
Warrior bane (-1A for each unsaved wound caused)
MoT (+1 ward)
Barded steed

theres a character that can tank any character in the game aside from Daemons lol No magical weapons attacks against it and a T5 1+sv
3+ward and knocking an attack of your challenger for every wound you cause though you could swap Warrior bane for Favor of the gods if your so inclined..

A scrap between this and a PoK dreadlord wouold likly go on for quite some time lol

Eta
22-11-2010, 15:08
why not just take the armour of destiny and get a 3+ ward save against everythin???? id take that any day tbh

Take that with the MR1 item and get 2+ against magic too ? or again the flame gem for 2+ ward against flamming

Because the Daemonsword costs much more than 50 points.

Lord_Elric
22-11-2010, 15:26
And is a waste of pionts on something that is only protected against the minority of attacks

Sappysid101
22-11-2010, 15:48
Don't have book on me so i can't check points etc, buuuut can't you take the Deamonsword and the dragon helm and sit in a unit with the flaming attacks banner? You would then have a 2+ save vs yourself : )

- Sid

Kharnathe
22-11-2010, 16:00
it hurts my heart to see the runesword and daemon sword sidelined so much, i think alot of items require a price rethink. sure the daemon sword can make the lord mental, but it can also not boost him as well and even potentially kill him.

I wish they hadnt put in tons of common items. in my opinion its smoothed out the differences in alot of the armies characters out there.

now theres something wrong with you if you dont have 8 types of saves and arnt a combat monster as well.

sure we can make a super lord as discussed many times here, but its lacking over previous editions where a chaos lord would enter a battle with, tense music please, chaos items.

Avian
22-11-2010, 19:05
Don't have book on me so i can't check points etc, buuuut can't you take the Deamonsword and the dragon helm and sit in a unit with the flaming attacks banner? You would then have a 2+ save vs yourself : )
No, because magic weapons don't stack with flaming attacks (for some odd fluff reason). FHB p 69

Sappysid101
22-11-2010, 21:07
No, because magic weapons don't stack with flaming attacks (for some odd fluff reason). FHB p 69

Okie dokie, chers for telling me : )

- Sid

GreySeerZ
22-11-2010, 21:39
it hurts my heart to see the runesword and daemon sword sidelined so much, i think alot of items require a price rethink. sure the daemon sword can make the lord mental, but it can also not boost him as well and even potentially kill him.

I wish they hadnt put in tons of common items. in my opinion its smoothed out the differences in alot of the armies characters out there.

now theres something wrong with you if you dont have 8 types of saves and arnt a combat monster as well.

sure we can make a super lord as discussed many times here, but its lacking over previous editions where a chaos lord would enter a battle with, tense music please, chaos items.

I definitely agree with this, from a fluff standpoint. I mean HOW MANY dragonehelms are there? It is almost as if the dragon riders of Caledor have started a sweatshop to mass produce them for the lowest bidders. Every army has basically the same common items with the 1/2 overpowered items found in there book. I think the chaos items are diverse, but when you get under-priced OP items from the rulebook why bother. I kind of wish they stuck with the list of average priced +1 to a stat items, which you usually threw on when your army-book was exhausted.

On a side note some of the new items are being extremely over-abused (i.e. folding tower/power scroll) and while i do like some of them (the flying carpet just for laughs) I feel the game would have been fine with less.

olberon
22-11-2010, 23:33
being kind of new to the WFB hobby and a big fan of nurgle i really could use some pointers on whats the most anoying (spelling???) nurgle lord on a palaquin

thxs in advance :D

jhon
23-11-2010, 05:59
my build for my nurgle lord:
mon
ws 10 blade
dragon helm
horse
dawn stone
is cheap one and not very killy one but i can have enough pts left to buy a secorer lord with shadow magic

Enigmatik1
23-11-2010, 13:34
I definitely agree with this, from a fluff standpoint. I mean HOW MANY dragonehelms are there? It is almost as if the dragon riders of Caledor have started a sweatshop to mass produce them for the lowest bidders. Every army has basically the same common items with the 1/2 overpowered items found in there book. I think the chaos items are diverse, but when you get under-priced OP items from the rulebook why bother. I kind of wish they stuck with the list of average priced +1 to a stat items, which you usually threw on when your army-book was exhausted.

On a side note some of the new items are being extremely over-abused (i.e. folding tower/power scroll) and while i do like some of them (the flying carpet just for laughs) I feel the game would have been fine with less.

There are as many Dragonhelms as there are Wizards and Wizards lords out there rocking the LoMetal imo. :shifty:

logan054
23-11-2010, 13:45

- Sid

Thats certainly a really good idea but I fear with so many dragon helms running you have a high chance of meeting someone else with a matching. Looking at a lot of these builds I really cannot see why you guys think you need to spend so many points on a chaos lord, for me I think the following if more than enough

Chaos Lord
- Mark of Khorne
- Talisman of Preservation
- Charmed shield
- Great Weapon
- Juggernaut/steed

Another one I am going to try just for kicks is

Chaos Lord
- Mark of Khorne
- wizards hat
- Chariot

I am thinking of painting the hat red and using great stags instead of horses, maybe also have it as a flying slay.

Just saw this? another cunning plan foiled :(

GreySeerZ
23-11-2010, 13:46
There are as many Dragonhelms as there are Wizards and Wizards lords out there rocking the LoMetal imo. :shifty:

Although I'm sure most of my group would take lore of metal against me, we usually write lists up before we know our opponents, makes things more interesting. My group plays with a fair amount of Life, Shadow, Death, Light, and my daemon player constantly rocks a low level with beast so he can irresistible transform into a mountain chimera, haha. We even get some celestial in there. I think the magic is pretty good all around, bar fire which has some combos but imo isn't as viable. I can guarantee that every army I face will have a dragonhelm, enchanted shield, talisman of preservation and power scroll, almost 100% of the time. And I'm not talking just one of these, but all of these, guaranteed. I think thats a little odd, but hey, its what GW decided to do.

Come to think of it the only unique person in our group is our dwarf player, and thats only because he can't use any of the lores or items in the book, haha. I'm just talking Lord/BSB/and in some cases Wizard builds here though, atleast most armies still play differently (Though I do like the universal: "We can use these great weapons now...LETS DO IT!!!")

Kharnathe
23-11-2010, 13:53
Another one I am going to try just for kicks is

Chaos Lord
- Mark of Khorne
- wizards hat
- Chariot

I am thinking of painting the hat red and using great stags instead of horses, maybe also have it as a flying slay.

who knows mayb in taking the hat you will open up a door to the khorne uber magic phase, similar to how the tomb kings are starting to run the wiz hat more and more often.

in the mean time the earth shook and the skys turned a funny red colour at your blasphemy

Reimu
23-11-2010, 14:33
Approaching this thread from a different direction:

I don't suppose anyone could point out any weaknesses Chaos Lords might have? Apart from points cost? Any holes that common magic item choices present that other armies may be able to exploit?

logan054
23-11-2010, 14:38
Points cost is the main issue with Chaos lords, I can't think of any other stat that is exactly weak, now with common items he can easily have a 1+ rerollable armour save, strength 7 and a 3+/4+ wardsave.

Reimu
23-11-2010, 14:46
So I suspect the best answer to a Chaos Lord is to deny it the opportunity to wreak havoc and cut those 200+ points out of the game through denial.

Lord_Elric
23-11-2010, 14:54
id say luck for the most part lol chaos warriors are generaly safe from the uber spells and dragon helm keeps them out the way of lore of metal so it depends on your army tbh

logan054
23-11-2010, 14:55
If he is in a infantry unit then no problem, what if he is in a unit of 25/30 chaos warriors? can you really ignore 700/800pts of stuff? what if he is mounted in a unit of chaos knights? they will chew through most units very quickly, hell all he he needs is MoK and +3 attacks sword and he along is dealing out 9 attacks a him ASF and he is going to be killing at least a rank a turn.

Reimu
23-11-2010, 14:59
That depends entirely on mobility; as someone who predominantly plays High Elves, I often have the luxury of choosing when and where on the battlefield engagements will come to pass. There are certainly ways to attempt to slow or neuter such a unit, such as Great Eagle march-blocking and coaxing it into range of bolt-throwers.

logan054
23-11-2010, 15:04
Marching blocking a leadership 9 unit? doubtful, as for a RBT if is single shot hope they don't have MoT, Ironcurse icon or blastered standard seem pretty standard issue with all these template weapons about, as a HE player I think I would be more concerned by a hellcannon or two than a chaos lord.

Lord_Elric
23-11-2010, 15:06
if your taking HE just get caradryan on the board lol

GreySeerZ
23-11-2010, 15:43
That depends entirely on mobility; as someone who predominantly plays High Elves, I often have the luxury of choosing when and where on the battlefield engagements will come to pass. There are certainly ways to attempt to slow or neuter such a unit, such as Great Eagle march-blocking and coaxing it into range of bolt-throwers.

In all honestly I feel that base mobility of armies has become a lot less important these days. With rolling 2d6 for charges even dwarves can hit units from range (it takes luck) but I've done it several times. Even receiving charges has become less of an issue as you will get those strikes back. I believe offensive mobility has been somewhat normalized. Just because a units movement 6 doesn't mean it won't roll double 1s and stop right in front of my warriors. Not saying it won't at times swing the battle, but its much harder to run circles around certain armies.

On the other side, defensive mobility is almost non-existent now. I haven't been march blocked in any of my games yet, with general and bsb rerolls. The new name of the game for defensive mobility is charge redirects. I usually take 1/2 units of hounds simply to send his knights away from my lines or to setup a good position for counter charging. I have noticed that flank and rear charges have become key to breaking the larger units of 8th.

More on topic. There is very little yet that has come close to killing my Lord, especially when hes using his 3+ ward save. Where I usually lose battles is from a spell-o-cheese that thins my units. Even then my lord still usually causes havoc, he just can't make up for the destructive power wizards can unleash, at times anyway. I still think Chaos Lords strengths are destroying enemy elites/special units or assisting large blocks of troops munch through the enemy away from the opposing Lord, who I feed some anvil units to tie them up (MoT marauders are great, and when lucky, have held up swordmasters and bloodcrushers). My lords usually in the back lines pillaging missile troops, running down wizards and burning war machines. To be honest I've hardly ever challenged the opposing lord (most of my battles are 3k and I build my lord around taking out things that annoy, most likely enemy ranged/magic, and let the rest of my army handle my opponents Lord). In many ways I hope my opponent focuses on him. Everytime a unit of warriors makes it to the enemy line untouched an angel gets its wings :angel: (fiery devil wings that pulse with evil! :evilgrin:)

logan054
23-11-2010, 16:00
On the other side, defensive mobility is almost non-existent now. I haven't been march blocked in any of my games yet, with general and bsb rerolls.

Every time I see this I can't help but wonder what GW was thinking with 8th ed, mean why did they even bother having panic, fear and terror in the book, they may as well just had break tests!

Kharnathe
23-11-2010, 16:08
Every time I see this I can't help but wonder what GW was thinking with 8th ed, mean why did they even bother having panic, fear and terror in the book, they may as well just had break tests!

becuase eye of the gods needed 2 more re-rollable results to ensure a 12 earlier than otherwise :p

GreySeerZ
23-11-2010, 16:20

Yea, I dunno. In some ways I think fear and terror were overpowered in 7th, but they might as well not even exist in 8th. Its really just a random chance of getting boned once out of every 10 games. They really should have made fear/terror/panic some kind of tactical mechanic (just throwing something out there, but like flank charging fear causing units get an additional +1 to CR or units charging fear causers do not receive charge bonus, or maybe even negative modifiers). This would have at least given fear based armies some flavor. Its reached the point where fear causing armies behave identically to non-fear causing armies. My best friend plays VC and states how pointless it is all the time.

Whats funny is in most of my games against undead/daemons both me and my opponent forget to even test for fear :rolleyes:

Skogla
23-11-2010, 17:14
A Chaos Lord Ive been thinking of to field:

Chaos Lord MoN Shield and Chaos Steed
Sword of Strife
Dragon Helm
Dawn Stone
The other Tricksters Shard

He rides with Chaos Knights with Banner of Rage.
Though costly unit but I love Chaos Lords :)

Enigmatik1
23-11-2010, 17:27
Whats funny is in most of my games against undead/daemons both me and my opponent forget to even test for fear :rolleyes:

I "forget" to call for Fear tests all the time. The only times I regularly "remember" are when I am charging with my Bone Giant. :shifty: I still have yet to see anyone fail a Fear or Terror test in any game I've played or watched of 8E (about 20-30 at this point).

logan054
23-11-2010, 22:02
I "forget" to call for Fear tests all the time. The only times I regularly "remember" are when I am charging with my Bone Giant. :shifty: I still have yet to see anyone fail a Fear or Terror test in any game I've played or watched of 8E (about 20-30 at this point).

Well I saw a unit of SM fail two in a row however he didn't have a BSB, was funny him hitting my trolls on a 5+

Eta
24-11-2010, 07:30
A Chaos Lord Ive been thinking of to field:

Chaos Lord MoN Shield and Chaos Steed
Sword of Strife
Dragon Helm
Dawn Stone
The other Tricksters Shard

He rides with Chaos Knights with Banner of Rage.
Though costly unit but I love Chaos Lords :)

You can drop the Dragon Helm (or the shield), as the lord has a 1+ armour save just with the shield (or the Dragon Helm).

Enigmatik1
24-11-2010, 14:37
You can drop the Dragon Helm (or the shield), as the lord has a 1+ armour save just with the shield (or the Dragon Helm).

He probably shouldn't since there's a good chance he'd be against a LoMetal Wizard. The only way I could see him reliably dropping it is if he ran a Marauder heavy list.

Eta
24-11-2010, 22:36
He probably shouldn't since there's a good chance he'd be against a LoMetal Wizard. The only way I could see him reliably dropping it is if he ran a Marauder heavy list.

Who takes metal these days when you do not know that you are up against WoC? There are a lot of better lores.

Lord_Elric
24-11-2010, 23:00
Who takes metal these days when you do not know that you are up against WoC? There are a lot of better lores.

um quite a few players take LoMe on their lesser secondary mage that i know anyway its a decent lore tbh couple decent augments and some damage spells and a relativly uber spell too...

i regularly take it and have often had corsairs with 3+/2+ saves (CC/Shooting)
along with the occasional +1 tohit armour piercing witchelves.
or 3+ 5++ Str9 with AP and +1 to hit Black guard if i combine in CoB and actualy pull off mindrazor
(i actualy pulled off this combo once opponent had lost his lvl4 an had a bad turn dispeling)

Eta
24-11-2010, 23:10
um quite a few players take LoMe on their lesser secondary mage that i know anyway its a decent lore tbh couple decent augments and some damage spells and a relativly uber spell too...

Well, nobody around here uses it, Shadow, Heavens, Life, Beasts or Light are better lores with a better signature spell - which is the most important thing on a supporting wizard IMO.

Enigmatik1
24-11-2010, 23:37
Well, nobody around here uses it, Shadow, Heavens, Life, Beasts or Light are better lores with a better signature spell - which is the most important thing on a supporting wizard IMO.

Heavens? I'm surprised. I happen to like LoHeavens, but few people use it in these parts unless they're forced to (Skink Priests). And no Death? Interesting...

I guess this just goes to show how diverse we are as gamers. While I'm not the biggest fan of the signature spell, I do like the rest of the Lore...even Final Transmutation (and I generally hate unit affecting, you-just-die-with-no-save spells).

Hashulaman
25-11-2010, 01:23
Not many takers for Metal here either, Life and Shadow are the popular ones. I have yet to try Heavens myself, I'd like to though, just need to figure a nice list that would allow me to. I'd rather put it on a DP than a generic Sorc. Lord.

Lord_Elric
25-11-2010, 12:11
Why is the sig splell the most important thing on a support wizard??? though i guess i dont usualy have much problems as my lvl2 usualy has 3 spells but i dont often bother with sig spells atall sometimes even miasma if im using dark magic on my primary and i find it more useful a choice for my primary than my support. you want extra effect out of a support

GreySeerZ
25-11-2010, 18:08
Everyone in my group takes Life, Shadow, Death, Light, Beast, maybe Heavens. Metals is pretty rare as well. Imo stat boosters/ hexes win games (outside of uber death spells that is)

As for sig spells, it is usually useful for secondary wizard to have a useful one. Your lvl 4 is most likely pumping out uber/medium spells and sucking up power dice. You usually want your secondaries for smaller spells which you can either cast to start the phase, to suck up enemy dispels, or at the end, to get a little edge. When you can get a secondary with buffs/hexes and throw him in a decent unit, it is awesome. I usually take shadows for 3 basic hexes (and sig hex which is awesome when combo with good units/other magic). i also usually give him 3rd eye to open up his usefullness.

Lord_Elric
25-11-2010, 20:56
i usualy play Dark magic with my lvl4 tbh the low casting values of the spells are very and the combination of metal has lead to many a nasty combat phase

word of pain combod with blades of aiban work very well ( 60 corsair attacks hitting on 2+ with rerolls is always nice)

GenerationTerrorist
26-11-2010, 22:24
I like to make sure my Lord is as protected as possible - He hits hard enough already, the last thing I want is him being done over by a killing blow on a lucky 6!

Generally, in my Tzeentch list, I run:

MoT
Halberd & Shield
Crimson Armour
Talisman of Endurance
Diabolic Splendour

I run him in the middle of a block of Chosen with the Terror Banner.

Hashulaman
26-11-2010, 22:27
I didn't know so many people took Chaos Lords, it seems that Sorc. Lord is the way to go these days.

Lord_Elric
26-11-2010, 22:33
I like to make sure my Lord is as protected as possible - He hits hard enough already, the last thing I want is him being done over by a killing blow on a lucky 6!

Generally, in my Tzeentch list, I run:

MoT
Halberd & Shield
Crimson Armour
Talisman of Endurance
Diabolic Splendour

I run him in the middle of a block of Chosen with the Terror Banner.

Why halberd and shield i know you can still use them for shooting but hes probably not going to taqke any hits from shooting if hes in a unit

GenerationTerrorist
26-11-2010, 22:39
^^ Good point, well made!

logan054
26-11-2010, 22:59
Well here is my Chaos lord build

Chaos lord
MoK
Jugger
Charmed shield
talisman of preservation
ogre blade

Really seems to get the job done.

theorox
27-11-2010, 10:03
That's a great build Logan. :)

But i always feel weird for using the Ogre blade, is it worth 40p for not striking last and being able to have a shield? I don't know.

I'd like something like this though:

Chaos Lord
MoK
Jugger
Halberd
Talisman of Preservation
Charmed Shield
Helm of Many eyes

Ouch. 6 WS8 ASF (Re-rolls) Str6 attacks and 2 Ws5 Str5 attacks from the mount, plus Stomp. First hit deflected on a 2+ and a 4+ Ward should help against cannons. 1+ AS should keep him survivable against troops. In a challenge, he should kill his opponent before he has a chance to strike back. This guy is pretty scared of Killing Blow, but that's about it. (And the obvious no-save-of-this-or-that-kind-allowed weapons.)

I like that build.

Theo

logan054
27-11-2010, 10:21
Well I was going to take helm of many eyes and a great weapon but those combined come to 37pts, so for 3 pts more I can use my shield in combat, not be subject to stupidity and have strength 7. Yesh I certainly think its worth it, wound pretty much anything on a 2+

GreySeerZ
27-11-2010, 15:03
I didn't know so many people took Chaos Lords, it seems that Sorc. Lord is the way to go these days.

Although Sorc. Lords are fun, there have been games where I've had just as much success (if not more) with a Lord. Although block unit lords are fun, I've always found that warriors/chosen are deadly enough on their own. The real strength of the Chaos Lord, imo, is his mobility and ability to hit like a truck. Many armies hide their sorc lords in blocks of troops, why not flank that block, massacre the troops and send that lvl 4 packing. Although magic is fun, I've seen armies, in tournaments, crumble because of poor magic rolls. Although rare, I've seen it happen quite often, which might just be my experience.

I'd say I'm starting to run both evenly when < 3k pts, and both together at > 3k pts. Originally the Sorc. Lord always took priority, but after playing more and more games of 8th I'm finding that both are very effective.

theorox
27-11-2010, 15:37
I want a good one on a Disc to slaughter troops, so i really only need a 4+ Ward and decent armour. Semi-tough troops like orcs or Dwarfs.

Chaos Lord
MoT
Disc of Tzeentch
Talisman of Endurance
Sword of Strife
Charmed shield
Potion of Str
Stream of corruption
Soporific Musk

How fun! :D 7 Str 5 attacks, wich are plus 3 str for a turn. Wow. A 2+ AS and 4+ Ward as well as ignoring the first hit on a 2+. And he flies around to pick suitable targets. When he breaks a unit he should run them down, he's got Swiftstride and the enemy has Reversed Swiftstride. Also, a Breathweapon might come in handy to splat a block of troops or a soft character. All this for only 375p.

What do you guys think?

Theo

Hashulaman
27-11-2010, 23:19
I guess, Im trying to figure what to attack and if it's worth him atatcking on his own, even if in the flank or rear.

Avian
27-11-2010, 23:43
In unrelated news, I have decided to drop the Crown of Command, as my Lord and his unit kick so much butt that it hasn't been needed. :D

logan054
28-11-2010, 00:41
You know I am finding using a chaos lord is just overkill full stop :p

YoungJohn
28-11-2010, 15:43
Just threw this into the Chaos Tactica build, for those who want to try a flying Lord. Obviously not as competitive as a Sorc., but good at points denial.

So what about this? :

Chaos Lord: MofTz., Ogre Blade, Ench. Shield,Talisman of Preservation, 360
Bloodcurdling Roar, Disc of Tz.

A little more expensive but legal . 1+/3++ from shooting and the same in combat. More killy this time as well, with strength 7. Season with an alternate magic weapon to taste if you like. More vulnerable to death magic, but with a 3++ he should be shrugging off those hits fairly well. For a cheaper version swap Ogre Blade for Sword of Might (to retain cc save), or even a halberd (then you could think about grabbing crown of command for an annoying bugger of a fairly unkillable unit tarpit. He's an expensive one though). Could change the ogre blade for the cheaper great weapon and Helm of many Eyes combo, but you lose the boosted cc save, and gain stupidity, and for an isolated unit such as the Lord it may not be worth the risk. You do however make him better at solo-work, with re-rolls to hit and ASF.

Kevlar
28-11-2010, 15:52
Could change the ogre blade for the cheaper great weapon and Helm of many Eyes combo, but you lose the boosted cc save, and gain stupidity, and for an isolated unit such as the Lord it may not be worth the risk. You do however make him better at solo-work, with re-rolls to hit and ASF.

How do you get rerolls? I thought ASF and ASL just cancel out and you strike in regular initiative order? (For everyone except high elves)

YoungJohn
28-11-2010, 16:21
How do you get rerolls? I thought ASF and ASL just cancel out and you strike in regular initiative order? (For everyone except high elves)

My bad, been looking at High Elves for too long...

logan054
29-11-2010, 10:57
I think a flying chaos lord might be better of with a great weapon and crown of command, atleast if he does get pinned on combat he wont be running any time soon :)

Hashulaman
30-11-2010, 08:36
Anyone know any good builds for a foot Tzeentch lord? I have about 320-330 points to spend given I'm taking a Disc sorc. lord as well. Or are running both in a 3k game a bad idea? I really don't want to give up my Sorc. Lord though.

Edit: Here is one i Just came up with

MoT
Shield
Talisman of Preservation
Sword of Swift Striking
Dragonhelm

2+/3++ and ASF, he has excellent defense and his offensive capabilites have also been enhanced.

(yes I am willing to put the armor of Destiny on the Sorc Lord)

Barry "the blade"
30-11-2010, 11:07
I like it, but he can't take a mundane shield can he?

Edit: My bad i saw the sorc lord bit, and that got stuck in my head...

theorox
30-11-2010, 11:17
I like it, but he can't take a mundane shield can he?

Yes he can, why not? O.o

Theo

BrotherNefarius
30-11-2010, 15:18
hmm i was thinking of a nice character killer vs HE, or anyone really...

MoK, Chaos Runeshield, Dawnstone and the other trickster shard. add to that a great weapon and jugg and we are in business. Runeshield pretty much garanties that i will have my 1+ armor save. Worst case scenario, s5 attacks grants me a rerollable 3+ armor save. The lord alone does 6 s7 attacks, which is not too shabby. This will go through most armors, and the shard will make it more likely to go through those ward saves.

Could even add Word of Pain for extra punch (especially since trickster shard works on adjacent models, same as Word of Pain, so it'll be no armor and reroll successful ward saves, yummy)

Tarian
01-12-2010, 01:34
Can't use a Great Weapon and a shield at the same time, so if you use the G.Weapon, as it's "Special", a tooled up Character killer could give your Lord a hard time in CC, especially if they negate armor (Or hit hard enough to negate armor)

Roark
01-12-2010, 01:46
You know I am finding using a chaos lord is just overkill full stop :p

I totally agree. I find that, aside from a Sorceror Lord (for that devastating magic phase), sinking heaps of points into characters in a WoC army just means that you can field less and less of our hard-as-nails troops. Units bring a lot more wounds and attacks to the table than an expensive character ever can.

My current 2500pts setup only has an Exalted BSB and a L2 Tzeentch Sorceror with 3rd Eye, for a total of 359pts in characters. The volume of the rest of my guys, however, looks very scary from across the gaming table.

Dreadgrass
01-12-2010, 01:55
Tarian is right, however, for a touch more survivability, what about:

Mark of Nurgle, Palaquin
Runeshield, Dawnstone, Other tricksters shard, 10pts extra.

so 1 less save (palaquin instead of jugger), but -1 ws to the enemy could be handy, as well as poisoned attacks and Look out sir in a unit of warriors or marauders.

I'm just not certain though that negating magic weapons is better than the wardsave you could get from that armour slot:

Mark of Khorne, Jugger, Shield
Armour of 4+ wardsave, Dawnstone, Other Tricksters Shard

re-rollable 1+ save, 4+ ward, models in base re-roll ward saves...

Love the idea of Other tricksters Shard plus Word of Agony though!

theorox
01-12-2010, 10:17
The palanquin doesn't add anything to you armoursave, does it?

Theo

Eta
01-12-2010, 10:32
The palanquin doesn't add anything to you armoursave, does it?

Theo

Sure it does, it is a mount after all.

BrotherNefarius
01-12-2010, 15:14
Can't use a Great Weapon and a shield at the same time, so if you use the G.Weapon, as it's "Special", a tooled up Character killer could give your Lord a hard time in CC, especially if they negate armor (Or hit hard enough to negate armor)

oops my bad. For the hard time in CC part... most of the negate armor and str bonus (and even KB) comes from weapons, so i feel pretty comfortable on the shield protecting me from that.

Does the poisonous attacks from the mount transfers to the rider? I dont think so, so i prefer the +1 attack and ItP from frenzy, not counting extra killiness and MR 1 from mount. More worth in my eyes than the -1 ws, which might not even make a difference.

theorox
01-12-2010, 15:18
Sure it does, it is a mount after all.

But not a cavalry mount. (Some people claim it is, and by RAW maybe it is.)

So still +1 to AS? Cool.

Theo

Magister_Ordo_Lyrae
01-12-2010, 20:38
The 2 builds I am contemplating are (both of them would be running in MoTz knight deathstar unit):

MoTz
Barded Steed
Helm of many eyes
ogre blade/sword of strife (depending on the mood I'm in)
talisman of endurance (preservation is on the Sorc lord)
charmed shield

this is the kill-ier build with ASF (re-rolls against most stuff) and 5 S7 attacks (or 7 S5 attacks), overall very nasty and will take out most stuff before they get a chance to attack back. The 2nd build is a bit more defensive:

MoTz
barded steed
chaos runeshield
talisman of endurance
sword of might

Negating enemy magic items is pretty awesome in challenges and he still has S6 with 5 attacks but I don't know if its really as good as the first build. What do people think?

theorox
02-12-2010, 11:17
First build with the Ogreblade. You should hit so much you don't need the extra attacks. :D

Theo

guardian angel
02-12-2010, 12:46
I've run before on foot: Lord+shield+MoT+sword of anti-heroes+tals o pres+HoME=330

He actually did very well in the game I tried him. He was hard to kill due to his armour and ward plus the sword of anti-heroes can be awesome if someone has more than one enemy character in a unit. Even then you only need to be fighting in a challenge to make it worth it. HoMe for the re-rolls of course. He could be made even better by putting him on a horse.

An alternative I have considered is a dedicated character killer. I think this would be very fluffy and also useful to a chaos army as our core/specials can generally handle the rest of an opposing army.

My character killer would be:

Lord+MoT+shield+horse+tals of endurance+axe of khorne+other tricksters shard+word of agony=384

That gives him a 1+ armour save, 4+ ward, 5 strength 6 killing blow attacks, plus d6 strenght 4 no armour save hits and forces your enemy to re-roll all succesful ward saves.
The only way I can see to make him better at his job is to give him re-rolls but I can't see how to do it!

I'm considering running him in a nurgle knight unit with the banner of rage for the extra attack;)

What do you think?

theorox
02-12-2010, 13:00
For a character killer, i can see something like this working:

Lord
MoK
Jugger
Axe of Khorne
Helm of Many eyes
Dawnstone
Charmed Shield
Word of Agony
Stream of Corruption

Challenge, Breath+Word, attack with 6 Str6 Killing Blow ASF (Rerolls) attacks. Seriously, a ward shouldn't be a problem if you throw that many attacks at an enemy. Let's say against a Human character with a 1+ AS and a 4+ Ward:

4 Hits, reroll from ASF gets 1.3 more. 5.3 hits.

A bit less than one of them should be a killing blow statistically. So 35-40% chance of killing him outright i'd guess.

Wound on 2's. 4.16 wounds. 4+ armour. 2.08 wounds left. 1.04 wounds after Ward. And as mentioned, the chance of Killing Blow.

Word of Pain, 3.5 hits. 1.75 wounds. A bit less than one wound here, so say 2 wounds so far.

Breathweapon. 7 hits. Wound on 5's. 2.33 wounds there. 0.2 wounds there after armour and ward. :shifty:

So on avarage, 2.2 wounds with a good chance of Killing Blow. The typical enemy Lord should be dead by the second turn.

This is just an example, but even tougher choices would fall to this guy.

Theo

guardian angel
02-12-2010, 13:33
Lord
MoK
Jugger
Axe of Khorne
Helm of Many eyes
Dawnstone
Charmed Shield
Word of Agony
Stream of Corruption

Nice, but isn't him taking word of agony and stream of corruption over his gift points allowance? I think it is. My other concern with him is the fact he has no ward save, sure he has a re-rollable 1+ armour save but that won't save him versus killing blow, no armour save weapons.

Eta
02-12-2010, 14:23
For a character killer, i can see something like this working:

Lord
MoK
Jugger
Axe of Khorne
Helm of Many eyes
Dawnstone
Charmed Shield
Word of Agony
Stream of Corruption

Can't be done as the lord may only take 50 points of gifts.

theorox
02-12-2010, 14:26
Can't be done as the lord may only take 50 points of gifts.

Woops. Screw the breath then. :)

Theo

GreySeerZ
02-12-2010, 15:39
Nice, but isn't him taking word of agony and stream of corruption over his gift points allowance? I think it is. My other concern with him is the fact he has no ward save, sure he has a re-rollable 1+ armour save but that won't save him versus killing blow, no armour save weapons.

Yea, I tend to agree with this. Not to mention cannons and the like. Since hes on a jug he'll most likely get no lookout-sir and while his charmed shield will negate the first hit, most armies will be able to throw out a second/third. Last night I ran:

Chaos Lord
Mark of Khorne
Shield
Juggernaught
Sword of Swift Slaying (ASF)
necrotic phylactery (Immune Poison, Death, Nurgle, Characteristic Tests)
Other Tricksters Shard

I didn't bother with any gifts as I wanted to buff out my Chosen/Warriors. Basically 6 ASF attacks at St 5 attacks with rerolls to ward. 1+/4++ save with immunities listed above. I played a combined Skaven/Undead force (us being WoC/DoC) and man did this guy slaughter. His ending tally was an abomination, 20 storm-vermin, screaming bell (Greyseer exploded before I got there :(...), 6 plague censor bearers, and was tearing through a unit of ghouls when the game ended. Although he rarely makes points back like this, hes always a force to be reckoned with and almost never dies. Necrotic Phylactery is immensely powerful for the points imo. It saved him from several toughness tests (censors and spells) which ended up killing some knights as well. The mobility of the jugger helped me get to a flank and just keep rolling.

I would also like to note that since it was only 2.5k per army, I didn't take a disc sorcerer lord (which I normally do). I was worried about magic, but besides 2 phases where they rolled crap for magic, my puppet killed both their greyseer and his vampirelord. It's amazing how many people just throw 6 dice at every spell hopeing for miscasts (one was even on a 2 dice spell that got boxcars), and man does puppet make them pay. I would always take this item in any magic-light army (and black tongue if I could fit it :D).

On another side note I did take a Slaanesh exalted with Glaive of Putrefication, steed and potion of strength. While he did die to KB, he also lowered our opponents second vampire lord's st and toughness which helped us later to finish him off. Normally I've started taking this guy for monstrous creature handling (or greater daemons), but my Lord handled it all on his own!

guardian angel
02-12-2010, 15:45
The other way to do it is:

Lord+MoT+shield+horse+tals of endurance+axe of khorne+HoME+word of agony=394

You lose the synergy with the other tricksters shard however you now have re-rolls to maximise your chances of killing blow.

GreySeerZ
03-12-2010, 00:49
The other way to do it is:

You lose the synergy with the other tricksters shard however you now have re-rolls to maximise your chances of killing blow.

Whenever I see MoT I just feel like the character should be on a disc. The 3++ should save him from most bad stuff and the mobility he gains is priceless. My gaming group tends to throw a lot of characteristic test spells around and the more I can split up my units the less damage the whole takes. If I put my Lord on a mount in a unit of knights, that unit would become a no-brainer for my enemy. And mounted on horse with any other unit and he loses his LoS. Then again I'm also just a huge fan of how cool discs look, haha...:D

Hashulaman
03-12-2010, 01:50
Something about him alone on a disc makes my uncomfortable. I guess Im use to putting Lords in units.

Roark
03-12-2010, 04:22
Something about him alone on a disc makes my uncomfortable. I guess Im use to putting Lords in units.

Don't worry, dude. That's actually a pretty smart way to go. In my humble opinion, the advantages to putting a Lord on a Disk (movement) are far outweighed by the advantages of putting him in a unit (buffs, Ld, protection from shooting, protection from magic missiles, Look out, Sir).

Hashulaman
03-12-2010, 08:18
Such as? It's not I think you are lying through your teeth, I do belieive you but I would like to know the benefits of a disc lord.

Harwammer
03-12-2010, 08:48
Guardianangel I've used your build minus word of agony in a unit of knights carrying rage banner (3k points) and it worked very well

guardian angel
03-12-2010, 10:29
Guardianangel I've used your build minus word of agony in a unit of knights carrying rage banner (3k points) and it worked very well

Good to know Harwammer:) Which one did you use specifically, I'm guessing the one with the HoME?

GreySeerZ
03-12-2010, 13:17
A lot of a discs lord effectiveness is situational and army list dependent. In my opinion he is the most effective war machine/gun-line killer in the game. His added mobility easily allows him to get a flank charge on 2nd/3rd turn. His 3++ ward save (could use charmed shield as well) will soak of tons of enemy attention. I have had full blocks of warriors make it to the enemy line untouched, while my lord has soaked up wounds. He might die occasionally (mine has only once in about 8 games, due to some lucky wards but also just smart positioning) but when he does he usually ensures that twice as much of my army makes it to the other side. Finally a chaos lord is already extremely effective on their own to begin with, and will only struggle if your charging horde or enemy anvil units, which your NOT ever supposed to do unless its in the flank with supporting charges to the front.

I will guarantee you his, with gift breath attack, he will be more than a match for most missile troops. Since many armies use archers/crossbowmen/handgunners for mage bunkers (I'm looking at you Teclis :evilgrin:) my Lord attempts to eliminate these threats ASAP. Out of those games I've made Teclis's bowmen run off the table twice, and killed off lvl 2 wizards several times, running down the unit as well. Since your sacrificing a lvl 4 caster, it is important that your Lord makes up for these weaknesses, and mage hunting is something a flying lord does very well. War machines crumble as well, but thats a given. It is also important to note that the enemy will be forced to redirect troops to deal with a stubborn lord, leaving their flanks exposed to your advancing line.

A note on exalted, while they can perform this role as well, I find that sometimes they don't do enough damage to cause the unit to break or to kill off a character before they die, the Lord, with protection and offensive items, usually ensures that they do.

That said, my list usually includes My Lord, a BSB, several lvl 2 mages, or just 1 lvl 2 with puppet and another flanking exalted (Slaanesh on steed with glaive of put and potion of strength for monster/greater daemon hunting recently). Besides characters my army normally runs 2 hell cannons, 2 chariots, and large blocks of warriors (Khorne halberdiers and Tzeentch anvils), maybe a Tzeentch marauder bunker/anvil and finally a unit of knights (if I take my Khorne Lord or running a flank). As you can see my list has several large, multi-wound, fast moving units. Most of my battles are won through my enemies poor choice of target selection OR inability to focus down targets (ward saves, anti-shooting banners, etc.) Even if half of my advanced force crumbles, my Khorne halberdiers are making it, and man, do they slaughter (Hordes have crumbled under the sheer weight of attacks, it may take 2/3 turns but I'm always winning combat until then, and they make their points back doing what they love most!). Honestly this list is my usual (tried 20 chosen with warshrine, 17 died to 13th Skaven spell...a 525pt unit :(, though they did hold up a unit of plague monks with furnace the rest of the game, definitely didn't make points back though), and its performed very well, even when I make mistakes, and can support any character (Sorc Lord on Disc, Lord on Disc, Lord on Jug, Nurgle Lord on Chariot).

Its also important to note that thoughtful deployment wins battles, which I can't say enough. countless times I can see where the game is going before the first turn ever starts. Throwing in flaming banners, characteristic test immune characters, immune to poison characters, immune KB, and then setting them up across from what they counter could even be considered cruel sometimes (Plague toughness tests on my Necrotic Phylactery Khorne Jugger Lord... not happening). I switch these around to keep my opponents guessing, since my group only has about 8 players, though I have played in two minor tourneys and have done very well, placing high but usually not winning for dumb victory conditions or something, but I go for fun anyway (a competitive fun :)).

Anyway, I've written way too much, its definitely personal preference. I use my lord in a disruptive way, and I'm sure the day will come when hes sniped first turn and my army is destroyed, but its inevitable, and happens to everyone. Until then my army has been rolling faces, and is fun as well :D.

Kay
31-08-2011, 08:10
why dont u give the lord a 2h weaponwhen giving him the helm of many eyes? HEs get the reroll, so should you.

I like to run a lord with MoK, Helm of many eyes, Dragan, Philactelly, and Juggernaught, and send him solo to smash him against small elite units or combo charge.

He gets a 2+ save, so he aint very survivable, but he is immune to KB, poisions, and can take up to 4 cannonballs that my knights will not. 6 ASF rerollable S7 attacks + jugger, and having in mind the type of objectives I usually point him to, he gets to live depending on what he gets to kill...

RanaldLoec
31-08-2011, 08:32
why dont u give the lord a 2h weaponwhen giving him the helm of many eyes? HEs get the reroll, so should you.

I like to run a lord with MoK, Helm of many eyes, Dragan, Philactelly, and Juggernaught, and send him solo to smash him against small elite units or combo charge.

He gets a 2+ save, so he aint very survivable, but he is immune to KB, poisions, and can take up to 4 cannonballs that my knights will not. 6 ASF rerollable S7 attacks + jugger, and having in mind the type of objectives I usually point him to, he gets to live depending on what he gets to kill...

Doesn't the crimson armour of dargan count as chaos armour so with a jugger that's a 1+ armour save.

Nixon2802
31-08-2011, 08:36
My Favourite build I like to run is this:
Chaos Lord
MoK
Axe of Khorne
Talisman of Preservation
Enchanted Shield

So he's got a 2+ Armour and a 4+ Ward 6 Str 6 Attacks w/KB

Xerkics
31-08-2011, 12:58
With ogre kingdoms bringing new book there is going to be a lot of ogres. What's a good build to fight ogre tyrants? I was thinking glaive of putrefication potion of strength juggernaut mark of khorne chaos rune shield crown of command?

Tarian
31-08-2011, 22:08

High Elves get a special ASF from Speed of Asuryan which ignores the ASL penalties of a Great Weapon, so a Helm Lord would only roll on I (which is still high) without Rerolls.

Ekamdu
01-09-2011, 00:49
I cant find a lot of the item you guys are talking about in my WoC book, how come? Am I looking at the wrong pages?

Tarian
01-09-2011, 01:07
Some will be in the BRB now.

Djekar
01-09-2011, 06:30
My Favourite build I like to run is this:
Chaos Lord
MoK
Axe of Khorne
Talisman of Preservation
Enchanted Shield

This build is illegal. The price for the enchanted shield in the WoC book overrides the price in the BRB.

Kay
01-09-2011, 16:23
High Elves get a special ASF from Speed of Asuryan which ignores the ASL penalties of a Great Weapon, so a Helm Lord would only roll on I (which is still high) without Rerolls.

you are right... and i play high elves myself... now im ashamed.. xD
Still, striking at s7 at initiative order is pretty cool, but i guess S6 with rerolls is way sexier...

thanks for enlightening me, now i like my HEs better xD

Dada
23-01-2012, 16:35
Has any one tryed dragonhelm, crown of everlasting conquest, and a shield:
2+ armour save
4+ regeneration
2+ ward save if attack with flaming attacks (regnereation is lost but dragonhelm gives 2+ ward against flaming)

Adding s ateed would give an armour save of 1+ in total. U still have 40 points to use on magic items and 50 gifts, could trown in a sword of swift slaying and stream of corruption for offence...i think this could work n a dragon well. 3 breath attacks gg :D

Morkash
25-01-2012, 13:57
I did in a tournament on a Sorcerer Lord. Catched a Killing Blow from Grave Guard... it was unlucky, but still I would not recommend it. Rather give him a ward save, you're on the save side and save 5 points in fact. Since ToPres is on the Lord, the BSB can go with Enchanted Shield/Talisman of Endurace. With Mark of Nurgle he's quite resilient as well. If you plan to put your Lord on a Chaos Steed you can even save the Dragonhelm since he has an 1+ Armour save anyways if he has a shield.

The triple Breath Weapon Dragon is still fun to use for sure, I will in fact use it this weekend in a 3000 point game. I did once in 7 edition and absolutely destroyed a Black Orc unit with the 3 templates! :D

warplock
25-01-2012, 14:04
Has any one tryed dragonhelm, crown of everlasting conquest, and a shield:
2+ armour save
4+ regeneration
2+ ward save if attack with flaming attacks (regnereation is lost but dragonhelm gives 2+ ward against flaming)

Adding s ateed would give an armour save of 1+ in total. U still have 40 points to use on magic items and 50 gifts, could trown in a sword of swift slaying and stream of corruption for offence...i think this could work n a dragon well. 3 breath attacks gg :D

I don't understand why you would use the crown, though. A normal 4+ ward save is 5 points cheaper and can be combined with mark of tzeentch. Regen gains you nothing.
I suppose some people take the other trickester's shard which makes you reroll ward saves, so a 4+ regen could come in handy if they took that as it isn't a ward save. Then again regen doesn't work against KB whereas wards do.

ninjapixel
18-02-2012, 01:24
Thanks for the inputs about equipping Chaos Lords. I will have to look into this when I write my armylist. Got a jugger-modell aswell as a demonic steed one laying around.

ninjapixel
18-02-2012, 01:26
you are right... and i play high elves myself... now im ashamed.. xD
Still, striking at s7 at initiative order is pretty cool, but i guess S6 with rerolls is way sexier...

thanks for enlightening me, now i like my HEs better xD

Rerolls is king. ;)

Tayrod
19-02-2012, 23:39
Any good ideas on how to equip my new Chaos Lord on manticore? I love the model but in game terms it looks quiet underwhelming. I mostly play 2k, so try to keep it below 500 points :)

Dreadlordpaul
20-02-2012, 09:43
a chaos lord that i am going to start to run is
MoT Shield HoME Gold Sigil Sword talisman of presevation dragon helm shield.
Comes up to 330 points exactly and hes got the I and asf of a keeper of secrets combined with the ward of a lord of changed and the armour and stats of a chaos lord

abdulaapocolyps
20-02-2012, 22:11
Quick one guys,sword of striking is ace on lords.especially against lower t guys-though a potion of s is a nice combo
With his WS its usually 2+ to hit and against elves 2s to wound.a good,cost effective weapon...

Dada
20-02-2012, 22:30
Is 3+ to hit and rerolls better than 2+ to hit? What would u prefer? Ofc u can still get a magical wep with the 3+ amd rerolls

NixonAsADaemonPrince
20-02-2012, 22:39
Is 3+ to hit and rerolls better than 2+ to hit?

Yes it is, 3+ with rerolls gives you a 88.9% chance of hitting while a 2+ gives you a 83.3% chance of hitting.

ESP0DAMUS
21-02-2012, 17:47
I'm actually running a Lord with the +1 to Hit Sword and the Helm of Many Eyes for the rerolls... Might be overkill but it's efficient and there is nothing wrong with overkill ;)

ESP0DAMUS
21-02-2012, 17:51
Any good ideas on how to equip my new Chaos Lord on manticore? I love the model but in game terms it looks quiet underwhelming. I mostly play 2k, so try to keep it below 500 points :)

I'm trying to use a Lord or Sorcerer Lord on Manticore too and I play at 2000. I'm trying to do it for manuverability purposes, the ability to extend my general's leadership bubble, and the extra hard-hitting power in flanks and rears of units (the killing blow potential is a bonus). However, I'm not sure on what is the most effective way to equip the Lord.

Harwammer
22-02-2012, 15:49

Good to know Harwammer:) Which one did you use specifically, I'm guessing the one with the HoME?
Yep. I like the versatility of the build. KB can't quite be relied upon, but it does trigger often enough to be worthwhile.

TheOneHawk
23-02-2012, 02:44
Go big or go home. YOu want him to make as much of an impact as a Lvl 4 would? Equip him murder style.

Lord,Mark, Dragon, Shield, Helm of Many Eyes, Glaive of Putrefaction, Stream of Corruption, Soporific Musk, Necrotic phylactery, Crimson armour of Dargan.

740 points of death.