PDA

View Full Version : "Enemy in the way" ?

CGLover
11-11-2010, 10:36
A charges X , X flees far enough out of A reach , the failed charge distance is enough to touch B . Can you charge B with no Ld tests or must you stop at 1' ?

A

B

X

Glasscannon
11-11-2010, 11:07
If X is charged and declares a flee reaction, the distance charged might be sufficient to redirect into B, if not its a failed charge.

T10
11-11-2010, 11:10
No. The rules only allow for charging the target unit. Other units in the way may hinder the chargers and make the charge to fail.

In practice, you are committed to try to reach the target of your charge. If your first target flees you are allowed to attempt to redirect the charge to a second target. If the Ld test to redirect is successful you abandon the first target and commit to the second target.

-T10

Archangelion
11-11-2010, 11:15
Page 18. Redirecting the Charge. You can choose to try and compleate the charge against the fleeing target, or try to redirect by makeing a Leadership test. Otherwise, yes, you have resulted in a failed charge and must stop 1" away from any unit.

mishari26
11-11-2010, 11:48
To know whether you succeeded or failed to charge X, you only need to measure the distance from closest tip to closest tip after X has moved it's flee distance.

You don't need to bother about measuring wheel distances and path lengths.

But you still need a "clear" path of going straight ahead, single wheel up to 90", then clear straight path a 2nd time after the wheel. if these steps can get you to touch the fleeing unit, you've succeeded.

If you can't figure out such a path, then the charge is failed and you must stop 1" away from B (or any other unit).

Redirecting the charge from X to B has to be decided "before" you roll for distance against X. not after. basically you have to decide it immediately after X resolves it's flee reaction.

Ney
11-11-2010, 18:57
basically you have to decide it immediately after X resolves it's flee reaction.
Erm, you have to decide after the reaction is declared, And THEN the flee is resolved, right?

AMWOOD co
11-11-2010, 19:56
Erm, you have to decide after the reaction is declared, And THEN the flee is resolved, right?

No by two ways of thinking.

1. The charge reaction for flee says to 'Immediately' turn about and then 'After turning' flee 2D6". Redirect would be after.

2. The flee and redirect do not specify which happens first, so the Sequencing rule of p10 would apply meaning the charging player makes his enemy flee first.

Personally, I follow route 1, but the answer is the same.

Toonces
11-11-2010, 20:03

You declare a charge, enemy declares charge reaction and then immediately resolves said action. So you declare a redirect after the flee movement (and any resulting chain reactions of panic) has been resolved.

The timing becomes a tad tricky if...

Unit A Charges X -> X Holds
Unit B Charges X -> X Holds
Unit C Charges X -> X Flees

After X flees, each unit must declare/test/pass the option to redirect. While I don't think you are required to re-target in the sequence of A,B,C (that's my 7th edition brain), but you do have to deal with all redirections before you could start declaring charges with Unit D, Unit E, et al.

T10
12-11-2010, 09:02
You declare a charge, enemy declares charge reaction and then immediately resolves said action. So you declare a redirect after the flee movement (and any resulting chain reactions of panic) has been resolved.

The timing becomes a tad tricky if...

Unit A Charges X -> X Holds
Unit B Charges X -> X Holds
Unit C Charges X -> X Flees

After X flees, each unit must declare/test/pass the option to redirect. While I don't think you are required to re-target in the sequence of A,B,C (that's my 7th edition brain), but you do have to deal with all redirections before you could start declaring charges with Unit D, Unit E, et al.

I don't think this is correct. A unit only gets to redirect if the enemy flees from its charge. In your above example the unit X flees from unit C's charge, not from units A and B.

Units A and B will have to attempt to complete their charges against unit X. At least the unit has fled away from unit C, making it somewhat easier for units A and B to catch it.

-T10

Archangelion
12-11-2010, 10:48
Under 'Redirecting the Charge' page 18, again. First sentance. It simply states "If the target unit delares a Flee! reaction, the charging unit now has a choice: ..."

Units A and B are both charging units, and unit X becomes a fleeing target once it declares a Flee! responce from C's charge declaration.

The requirments are met, and thus both A and B may redirect.