PDA

View Full Version : 2200-ish Tomb Pirates of the Sour Sea

Esco Thomson
11-11-2010, 13:40
So here is the deal:

I am trying to revive my Tomb Kings once again, and I do know that they have a "little" issue with the state of their book, and the overall state of the game. This project is meant to be a fun experience with the side effect of being able to at least put up a fight occasionally, and even, gasp, win sometimes...

I just finished collecting the rest of the parts I need to make the army go, so here is the rough draft and first iteration!

Insert witty Pirate Mummy name here
Pirate King 270
Fencer's Blades
Glittering Scales
Collar of Shapesh
Vambraces of the Sun

Insert witty Pirate Mummy name here , The Mad
Pirate King 270
Wizarding Hat

Insert Spooky Ladyfriend name here
Sea Hag 330
Davy Jone's Locker(Casket of Souls)
Talisman of Protection

2 x 3 Cutters(Chariots) 240

40 x Pirate Archers(Skeleton Warriors with Bows) - 355
Full Command
Banner of the Eternal Flame

25 x Tomb Pirates(Tomb Guard) - 355
Full Command
Banner of the Undying Legion

2 x Baby Kraken(Tomb Scorpion) - 170

2 x Screaming Skull Cannons(Screaming Skull Catapult) - 180

I am left with a massive 30 points after this sketch of the list. I am not truly sold on Tomb Scorpions in 8th edition, though the principle remains the same with them, a poor save and mediocre initiative leaves me to believe I could spend points just as well elsewhere.

Offensive King joins up with Tomb Guard, Caster King with Archers. Will primarily be using Chariots to go after war machines, or soft targets / buy me some time to volley away.

Undying Legion is to help keep numbers afloat(terrible pun I know), with them possibly straying away from the main line.

I do hope to get a working camera for this project, as I have some pretty fun things in store for it. I actually built the sailboats for the chariots, and hollowed out a treasure chest for the Casket, just need to affix the LED to it, and some other things as well.

Anyways, any feedback, comments, suggestions, gripes, would be greatly appreciated.

Defender of Ulthuan
11-11-2010, 21:57
I don't play TK but I love the idea and am really happy to see the fencer's blades/glittering scales combo.

Anyway, list looks cool, but seems to be lacking bodies.

Do it up! Good luck.

Esco Thomson
12-11-2010, 02:08
I am currently strongly considering losing the Casket and Scorpions, just due to not being as effective in testing as paper leads me to believe/hope.

Frankly
27-03-2011, 17:43
What a lovely list idea.

Casket works better the more magic you have. If you juggle around that magic phase, you'll get alot more out of the casket.

Imho scorpions are there mainly if your running 3 WM's; you end up getting into a WM dual and you need a support unit to deal with his warmachines. So really they either should help you getting the edge in loooong ranged shooting by elimnating your oopponents WM's or playing a secondary role of support in winnable combats with a TG. But other untis and fill this rule.

I think archer units work better at 20 strong. they're reasonable at shooting, bad to ok in combat, but most of all they're a reasonable throw away unit that won't cost you an arm and a leg.

friendsofrhomb
27-03-2011, 21:57
Scorpions are awesome in 8th, as long as you position them so you can take full advantage of a rear/flank charge with ICFB. They take out those pesky archer/warmachine/lone chars so easily.

I field my archers in a unit of 40, because I generally dont have enough incantations floating aroud to make two units shoot twice, if you do, split into 2 units of 20. if you cant afford to cast smiting that many times, leave them as a unit of 40.

Esco Thomson
27-03-2011, 23:42
I had started this makeover project on my TK some time ago, but progress drew to a halt once I realized the new book would be out sooner than I imagined.

I will hope to continue my pirate theme and start up a project log, as long as I can make it work with the new book.

Frankly
28-03-2011, 15:57
Yeah, I'm sure you can, I'll heard the armybook is pretty solid.

Good luck

Spiney Norman
31-03-2011, 10:38
I am currently strongly considering losing the Casket and Scorpions, just due to not being as effective in testing as paper leads me to believe/hope.

The casket is quite effective in 8th Edition, but you should never, ever give a casket to your hierophant. Unfortunately being posted to a casket is still a death sentence, esp with only a 6 ward, you need the best ward possible on that priest - talisman of preservation

GodlessM
05-04-2011, 20:53
Sorry just had to chime in with this; you know Davy Jones' Locker wasn't actually a locker or any form of container right ;)

Esco Thomson
05-04-2011, 23:15
Sorry just had to chime in with this; you know Davy Jones' Locker wasn't actually a locker or any form of container right ;)

Oh yeah, lol, it was more for the thematic over the top cheesey pirate theme.

Which after seeing new models is likely to end up being wasted time converting and money spent, because I really like the new stuff too much.

Pirates are cool and all, but...

Esco Thomson
19-04-2011, 02:29
After much reading of the new book, I think the project is still on, as the amount of new stuff I will be using is very minimal...

Sqallum
19-04-2011, 10:19
Are you adding a war-sphinx.... as ...... a stone kraken? :angel: Can't think of anything else... :cries:
Sqallum

Esco Thomson
19-04-2011, 12:39
Are you adding a war-sphinx.... as ...... a stone kraken? :angel: Can't think of anything else... :cries:
Sqallum

Actually something similar, probably an undead Kraken of some sort.

Expect a shell of a new list shortly.

Sqallum
19-04-2011, 18:50
Yeah... I'd like that.. :p
Sqallum

Skaven-1989
19-04-2011, 19:28
I think theyve made the casket a rare unit now, its not technically a liche priest anymore, its just a caske attendent, well so rumours state, or davy jones locker sorry, i actually love the pirate theme.

I don't rate scorpion too highly when I used them previous,I agree with splitting the archers purely cause of your low numbers, its a risk that can pay off or screw you over, damn no stand and shoot !

GodlessM
19-04-2011, 20:22
His list is from the old book; as he said he hasn't updated it yet.

Slayerthane
21-04-2011, 17:20
I think you're onto something here....what a truly refreshing take for a fantasy list. You could also fit into your army the new serpent rider unit. That could be your Kraken instead of the tomb scorpions. I look forward to reading more about your progress. You should put together a plog. I would love to see that.

GodlessM
21-04-2011, 20:23
Take it my previous comment had no bearing on you then :)