PDA

View Full Version : 2500 Beastmen Tournament Army

coolwhip1
11-11-2010, 16:19
I have a tournament in a few days and I'm about halfway through the list building process. I am aiming for a fast moving, hard-hitting army that will throw players off a little. I'm also still a little miffed that the all minotaur army was hosed; so there are a disproportionate amount of the buggers.

I probably should have started this process earlier, but school just likes to eat my time...
Let me know what guys think. Any suggestions for tactics or changes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Great Bray-Shaman @ 330
-Level 4: Shadow
-Talisman of Preservation; Shard of the Herdstone
Beastlord @ 238
-General
-Shield; Ogre Blade; Trollhide Armour

Bray-Shaman @ 135
-Level 2; Wild
-Dispel Scroll
Bray-Shaman @ 135
-Level 2; Wild
-Dispel Scroll

(30) Gor Herd @ 265
-Shields; Full Command
(10) Ungor Herd @ 56
-Champion
Tuskgor Chariot @ 80
Tuskgor Chariot @ 80
Tuskgor Chariot @ 80
Tuskgor Chariot @ 80

(6) Minotaurs @ 428
-Great Weapons; Full Command
(6) Minotaurs @ 428
-Great Weapons; Full Command

(2) Chaos Spawn @ 110 (55ea.)
Chaos Spawn @ 55

Wyrmnax
11-11-2010, 16:30
Too many mages. - A lv 4 and a lv 2 will eat all your power dice even if you roll 12. A lv 4 by himself will probably eat away all your power dice, but most people like bringing a lv2 too because of the redundancy.

You are going to want a BSB. Reroll on ld tests is huge.

Also... the list sound very light for a 2500 points list. Fells like there are very few bodies on the field.

frapermax
11-11-2010, 20:17
I would only take one lvl 4 and 1 lvl 2.
Shadow is good on the lvl 4, but I'd prefer beasts on the lvl 2 for the great and cheap signature spell.
I would also drop 1 or 2 chariots and the command on the mino's and invest those points in some more units. Both support and blocks.
You could also split the mino's in 3 units of 4 (2x2), to get an extra deployment and as protection against shooting.
just my 2 cents
fpm

Mithras69
11-11-2010, 20:33
I would also drop the spawns and bulk up your ungor unit.

And like frapermax said: take Beasts instead of Wild on your shaman.

papabearshane
11-11-2010, 20:55
Also you cant take 2 dispel scrolls, only 1 per army. Drop the other Mage and use the points plus the points from droping the champ off the minos to make a BSB.

Mithras69
12-11-2010, 09:19
Oh, and another thing: Chalice of Dark Rain is great to reduce your losses to shooting.

3Xhume
12-11-2010, 23:45
Im sorry to say that you will be pounded quite hard if you bring the list. Your special choice, i wont comment much because it is a matter of preference. Big blocks of minos can be quite good too. Your weakness is your other slot choices.

Rare choice : Spawn can be good but they will be too slow for the army. Im guessing that you want it to tarpit a unit but people wont charge spawns. If you are relying spawn to charge the enemy then you will be disapointed because they wont reach. The only good choice for rare slot is ghorgon and jabberslythes (still testing)

Special Choice : put several units of harpies in. You will thank me.

Core Choice : drop the ungors or buff it to over than 30 models each unit. They wont help for being so small right now.

Character Choice : your biggest weakness in the list. You need doombulls or gorebulls to accompany the minos. Minos hit hard but they also die as quickly as an ogre. Bulls will give you enough firepower to hit back and immunity to psychology (as you might take some panic tests). As for magic department, you can not have two dispel scrolls. You need chalice for one turn shooting protection. Lore of Beast for your lv2s. For beastlord, there is armor of destiny which is better than the trollhide now. Shard is not good for offensive armies because you will need to stay back. Most tournament armies will be filled with defensive super magic armies. I mean something like teclis, slann.

coolwhip1
15-11-2010, 06:17
Thank you for the input

I played in the tournament this last Saturday, going 2-1-0, running this list.

Great Bray-Shaman @ 330
-Level 4: Shadow
-Talisman of Preservation; Shard of the Herdstone
Beastlord @ 238
-General
-Shield; Ogre Blade; Armour of Destiny

Bray-Shaman @ 135
-Level 2; Wild
-Dispel Scroll
Bray-Shaman @ 115
-Level 1; Wild
-Chalice of Dark Rain

(30) Gor Herd @ 265
-Two Hand Weapons; Full Command
(10) Ungor Herd @ 56
-Champion
Tuskgor Chariot @ 80
Tuskgor Chariot @ 80
Tuskgor Chariot @ 80
Tuskgor Chariot @ 80

(6) Minotaurs @ 408
-Great Weapons; Musician; Standard
(6) Minotaurs @ 408
-Great Weapons; Musician; Standard
(5) Harpies @ 55
(5) Harpies @ 55

(2) Chaos Spawn @ 110 (55ea.)

I finished 5th out of 24 players, which is a significant improvement from last year. The state leagues' rules were in effect, so there were no special terrain features and breaking an army didn't give an auto-win (500vps instead).

Game 1 - Battle Line vs. Dwarfs (win; broke; tabled)
Game 2 - Dawn Attack vs. Dwarfs (tie; 817 - 411 my favor)
Game 3 - Blood and Glory vs. Lizardmen (win; broke; tabled)

The three mages proved to be very useful, as I got Savage Dominion every game, and there was always one mage just kind of existing. The minotaurs put in work on everything, aided by reduced enemy strength via lore of shadow, and were never wiped out. The Gors survived all three games, but they desperately needed some extra hitting power. In retrospect I should have attached my beastlord to the Gor unit instead of a minotaur unit. The ungor herd usually didn't prove to be antyhing more than a speed-bump, but they did route a thunderers unit the first game. The chariots were successful in fighting off or slowing the smaller flanking units, they were also helpful in giving the gors some extra hitting power every once in a while. The Harpies were great, and I'm glad I included them. The Spawn got some interesting remarks, but they definitely did what I brought them to do.