PDA

View Full Version : New Stormraven model?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Tomalock
11-11-2010, 15:35
So I tried to get to the 40k FAQ site and this is what I got instead:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=1000018&pIndex=1&aId=3400019&multiPageMode=true&start=2

Could it be true? Or is it just a killer conversion?

EDIT:

Since they took it down, here is what it said:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk57/GKTerminators/Miscelanious/Stormraven.jpg

Over the next few pages, we will be taking a look at how to paint the Blood Angels Stormraven Gunship, including how to weather the vehicle and paint the interior detail. A great addition and centrepiece model for any Blood Angels army, this will be an invaluable guide to help you get the most from this fantastic kit.

Death from Above
The Stormraven Gunship is an incredibly versatile craft, able to fulfill the roll of orbital dropship, armoured transport and strike aircraft in a way that few, or indeed any, ships could hope to match. The Stormraven ensures that the Blood Angels remain undisputed masters of the skies, as dominant in the air as their troops are on the ground. Smaller and nimbler than the more cumbersome Thunderhawk Gunships, the Stormraven's compact hull and vectored thrusters enable it to operate at maximum efficiency in all but the densest terrain. A Stormraven can often be seen hurtling straight into the heart of the enemy forces, unleashing its considerable arsenal in a terrifying display of firepower, before disgorging a squad, Dreadnought, or even both, into the thick of the fighting.

On the tabletop
With its potent firepower, speed and transport capacity, the uses of a Stormraven on the battlefield are myriad, but its role of choice is as an unparalleled assault vehicle. With a huge variety of weapon options, and no less than four tank-busting Bloodstrike Missiles, both enemy infantry and vehicles alike fear drawing the attention of its guns. A transport capacity of 12 combined with the ability to safely carry a Dreadnought to battle as well certainly proves the Stormraven to be a transport vehicle of the very finest quality. This unique combination of speed, firepower and transport capacity means that a Stormraven can support any tactical preference, so there is always a place for it in any Blood Angels army.

Nick: A Stormraven will be the focal point of your army, so it's well worth giving it a lot of attention when painting it. These techniques can effectively be applied to any other vehicles in your Blood Angels army too, so keep this in mind and you will have a great looking fleet of vehicles in no time. I painted this Stormraven to match the battleforce that I painted for the Blood Angels army workshop in February 2011's White Dwarf; it's part of the 3rd Company, in keeping with the rest of the models. As a personal touch, I've weathered the model to appear heavily battle worn, but if you wish to keep your vehicle in pristine condition, skip page 6 and you'll have an immaculate vehicle, fresh as if at the beginning of a campaign.

Accompanying text.

(Thanks to Brother Constentine and Fobster and all the others who saved the pics and the text before they took it down)

Sythica
11-11-2010, 15:37
Umm, that just blew my mind.

steveb
11-11-2010, 15:38
Does look to be the real deal and that the page is posted in error (note the article refers to February 2011's White Dwarf in the past tense).

EmperorNorton
I hope that's not the Stormraven, because I think that thing looks meh.

AdamR
That is the best web team balls up EVAH.

Godzooky
11-11-2010, 15:39
So I tried to get to the 40k FAQ site and this is what I got instead:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=1000018&pIndex=1&aId=3400019&multiPageMode=true&start=2

Could it be true? Or is it just a killer conversion?

Crikey, good find.

Looks unique enough parts-wise to be a legit new model. Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look much like it's been kitbashed to me.

Interesting shape...

Faeslayer
11-11-2010, 15:39
Beautiful!

And as an Ork player, I'm drooling at the parts I'm gonna be hacking off that thing.

Fallen DA
11-11-2010, 15:41
I like the model enough, but think it's a pretty stupid that ONLY BA's and GK's have them????

cuda1179
11-11-2010, 15:43
Best. Mistake. Ever.

Fle
wow...what a rumour!!

Tymell
Interesting. I might be totally wrong, but that looks like a genuine new model to me. It's obviously a misplaced page even aside from that picture, lending it further credence. Nice one, web team :p

Not too sold on it based on that image though: the weight feels uneven, like a bulky front end chopped off a Thunderhawk with small bits added on the back end.

AdamR
11-11-2010, 15:44
I could see GW putting rules and points in WD to use it in other Marine armies.

Tomalock
11-11-2010, 15:47
I still want to get to the FAQs though! *grumble grumble*

Megad00mer
11-11-2010, 15:48
Someone's gonna get yelled at over at GW...

Their screw up is our gain however. Great find. Kinda dig the model.

Fobster
not too sure its a balls up. Why draft up a page for a tutorial for sometime after February next year. Might just GW way of leaking a bit of info.

Nice catch by the way Tomalock.

WarbossKurgan
Aaaaaannnd it's gone. :(

Did anyone take a screen shot?

Vic
I hope that's not the Stormraven, because I think that thing looks meh.

Yeah, I agree. Uhhhgggg Leee

LOL, the Inquisition squashed the page.

sigur
11-11-2010, 15:49
I'd be interested in seeing that abomination as well.

Arbedark
11-11-2010, 15:49
Anyone kind enough to have saved a pic of that? The link's taking me to a blank page.

Brother Constantine
11-11-2010, 15:50
I think that is was the real deal!!!!! The link is down!!!

BC

GCMandrake
Yep, link's stopped working. Anyone smart enough to grab a screen shot?

Kallas
Here we go...

Am ninja for once...

Dooks Dizzo
11-11-2010, 15:51
I got one. :)

CapitanMee
For those that didn't see it, Ahh some one beat me too it

AdamR
Yeah I saved a pic.
But if I post it will I get murderised by GWists?

EDIT - ninja'd

BigBarryJazz
11-11-2010, 15:52
For those that missed it

Edit: Ouch, ninja'd twice!

Inquisitor Engel
11-11-2010, 15:52
Certainly looks like the front of a Thunderhawk to me...

Fable
11-11-2010, 15:53
GW just hired a new guy to be their copy-editor for the site, didn't they? I wonder if this was his fault.

Darnok
Might be the angle, but that thing looks a bit weird.

About GW screwing things up: we have to be on the positive side of things every now and then... :D

Arbedark
Thanks for the pic guys.

Hmm, interesting, like a cross between a Valk and a Land Raider.

Not sure if I like it or not yet.

75hastings69
11-11-2010, 15:55
That is indeed the Stormraven. Ugly eh?!

marv335
11-11-2010, 15:55
Looking at that, it looks like a FW kitbash
I see the front of a thunderhawk, a turret, engines, and tail from an imperial bomber, and wings from a valkyrie.
It might be a kit though, GW have taken to scanning other models into their design computers.

Kurgash
11-11-2010, 15:56
so thus possibly we have a breakthrough. Why does that remind me of metal slug flyers though

Fobster
11-11-2010, 15:56
Over the next few pages, we will be taking a look at how to paint the Blood Angels Stormraven Gunship, including how to weather the vehicle and paint the interior detail. A great addition and centrepiece model for any Blood Angels army, this will be an invaluable guide to help you get the most from this fantastic kit.

Death from Above
The Stormraven Gunship is an incredibly versatile craft, able to fulfill the roll of orbital dropship, armoured transport and strike aircraft in a way that few, or indeed any, ships could hope to match. The Stormraven ensures that the Blood Angels remain undisputed masters of the skies, as dominant in the air as their troops are on the ground. Smaller and nimbler than the more cumbersome Thunderhawk Gunships, the Stormraven's compact hull and vectored thrusters enable it to operate at maximum efficiency in all but the densest terrain. A Stormraven can often be seen hurtling straight into the heart of the enemy forces, unleashing its considerable arsenal in a terrifying display of firepower, before disgorging a squad, Dreadnought, or even both, into the thick of the fighting.

On the tabletop
With its potent firepower, speed and transport capacity, the uses of a Stormraven on the battlefield are myriad, but its role of choice is as an unparalleled assault vehicle. With a huge variety of weapon options, and no less than four tank-busting Bloodstrike Missiles, both enemy infantry and vehicles alike fear drawing the attention of its guns. A transport capacity of 12 combined with the ability to safely carry a Dreadnought to battle as well certainly proves the Stormraven to be a transport vehicle of the very finest quality. This unique combination of speed, firepower and transport capacity means that a Stormraven can support any tactical preference, so there is always a place for it in any Blood Angels army.

Nick: A Stormraven will be the focal point of your army, so it's well worth giving it a lot of attention when painting it. These techniques can effectively be applied to any other vehicles in your Blood Angels army too, so keep this in mind and you will have a great looking fleet of vehicles in no time. I painted this Stormraven to match the battleforce that I painted for the Blood Angels army workshop in February 2011's White Dwarf; it's part of the 3rd Company, in keeping with the rest of the models. As a personal touch, I've weathered the model to appear heavily battle worn, but if you wish to keep your vehicle in pristine condition, skip page 6 and you'll have an immaculate vehicle, fresh as if at the beginning of a campaign.

Accompanying text.

Zaonite
11-11-2010, 15:57
Yuck. What were they thinking?

rob1992
It's awful. I cannot think of a GW vehicle that's as bad as that. It's just...

Arbedark

So no question about it being legit now.

Brother Constantine
11-11-2010, 16:00
Here is an image:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk57/GKTerminators/Miscelanious/Stormraven.jpg

I must admit that I don't think this was an accident.......More of a marketing scheme ;)

BC

stainawarjar

Death from Above

On the tabletop

Accompanying text.

No mention of Grey Knights at all, looks to me like it may be Blood Angels only after all.

rob1992
I've had another look, and I'm hoping it's a conversion. The pilot, from what I can see looks fairly old style, while there's a kink making the tail go up, both of which suggest it's kitbashed.

Saunders
11-11-2010, 16:01
I like it.

Dr. Who
11-11-2010, 16:01

"Honey, I shrunk the Thunderhawk!"

Further evidence that men should not be let near the washing machine!

I don't know if I would call it ugly - yet - but it does look a bit "truncated". :D

- Dr.

Mozzamanx
11-11-2010, 16:04
That really is awful. Completely ugly, and not in the good 40k-screaming-skulls way. Just ugly.

dragonet111
11-11-2010, 16:04
If this is true I hope the models are soon to be released, I want to do a Stormraven assault army list:D.

I quite like the model I was hoping for something different but in the end it's not that bad. I wonder what the rear looks like to see the Dreadnought grapple.

Fobster
11-11-2010, 16:05
Storm mosquito springs to mind when looking at it. Undecided,on the model. Think ill need it in my hands so i can do a few fly byes over the table before i can decide. Though its not up to the valkyrie standard.

EmperorNorton
11-11-2010, 16:06
I must admit that I don't think this was an accident.......More of a marketing scheme ;)

Well, the scheme has worked insofar as I've stopped considering expanding my Blood Angels army when the Stormraven is released.

Avian
11-11-2010, 16:08
Looks like someone took a Thunderhawk and cut away the middle section. Don't like it.

Tomalock
11-11-2010, 16:08
Well unfortunatly the 40k FAQs are unavailable completely now. Hope that fix that part soon. I'm glad everyone is enjoying this! I almost didn't post it because I just thought the site was broken and wasn't looking closely at what the page said (they have a history of bad links), but when I actually did I was pretty shocked! Hope it brightened everyones morning!

AlexHolker
11-11-2010, 16:09
No mention of Grey Knights at all, looks to me like it may be Blood Angels only after all.
Or it could just lend credence to the rumour that the Stormraven will be released before the GKs, and this page wasn't supposed to spoil any future releases. :D

Pity it's so ugly.

loveless
I will need to see that from other angles...it doesn't make a lot of sense at the moment. The way the picture is taken, areas that would logically be distinct seem to flow into each other (the top part of the chassis mixes with the "hidden" wing to make it look especially freakish). Definitely need a 360 of this thing.

Zweischneid
Looking at that, it looks like a FW kitbash
I see the front of a thunderhawk, a turret, engines, and tail from an imperial bomber, and wings from a valkyrie.
It might be a kit though, GW have taken to scanning other models into their design computers.

You think so? The Thunderhawk front is far, far larger I believe. Look at that Stormraven again, its hull without the turret is barely "two-marines-high", and you couldn't actually place more than one, maybe two marines on the front hatch.

Now compare that to the FW Thunderhawk.
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/xlarge/Thawkgun6.jpg

Tomalock
11-11-2010, 16:10
Yeah I have a thunderhawk and the stormraven, while similar in looks in the front is definatly not the same size at all.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
11-11-2010, 16:11
Hah! Wow what an epic screw up/rumor release. The absolute lockdown on rumors makes stuff like this all the sweeter. I hope nobody gets fired for this, this is exactly the kind of rumor influx 40k needs right now.

I have to say I don't care for the model itself, although it could be just a bad picture. GW took the "flying brick" motif to a whole new level.

cuda1179
11-11-2010, 16:11
Aaaaaannnd it's gone. :(

Did anyone take a screen shot?

I saved the pic, plus I also have that page still up on my computer.

Ignis
11-11-2010, 16:12
From that angle it looks like it's really high, slim and short.. kinda the most non-airplan design..
Guess i'll need to see some different pictures, but as far as I can tell from the current angle this thing wont come near my GKs without undergoing major conversion... .

Vic
11-11-2010, 16:12
It's official designation might be

Utility Gunship Light Entry 3
U.G.L.E-3

cuda1179
11-11-2010, 16:16
Here we go, enjoy everyone.

spagunk
11-11-2010, 16:17
yeah, i am not exactly thrilled with the look they went. It would seem they used the more or less "front end land raider, back end valk" angle that most kitbashers were doing.

I do like the TL Lascannon turrets....they would make a fine razorback turret (in an old school kinda way)

Also, you can tell this is a studio pic because that BA squad is the same one they have been using since 3rd ed.

Additionally, do you get the sense from the article text that this was going to be released later in the year? that whole "back in february" thing makes me think this will be awhile coming.

FabricatorGeneralMike
11-11-2010, 16:17
It's official designation might be

Utility Gunship Light Entry 3
U.G.L.E-3

To me it looks like they took a VW 'punchbuggie' and added wings. Oh well, atleast I will be able to say, "Red punchbuggie, no returns" everytime I play a BA or GK army. It's the little things in life folks. ;)

CplHicks
11-11-2010, 16:18
I like it a lot actually. We need to see more pics of it though to get a more thorough impression. Especially how the Dreadnought is attached and if it is indeed the final model which it looks like to me. This thread shows that it is more likely a fumble then a marketing thing. As without further pics people might get set on a negative impression they probably wouldn't get if they had more angles of the model. This is the same reason why don't see greens from GW most of the time anymore.

viking657
11-11-2010, 16:19
How funny :D its a big mistake on the website teams part for sure and someone will soon be leaving the team unfortunately due to the clamp down on rumours.

I think we need a 360 view of this thing before we judge and of course a price. To look at it though its vile, a squashed thunderhawk - probably what would happen if you bought a forgeworld thunderhawk and whilst getting it back into shape in hot water (gotta love resin) the phone rings and when you come back - oh dear....

It may look better with a dreadnought strapped to the back but to be honest I expected better but the more I think about it the more I believe it will actually be easy to transport and I won't feel like I'm playing a giant game of jenga which is how I feel when someone fills the table with valks.

Now any guesses on price? I reckon 40, new vat prices included :cries:

Hendarion
11-11-2010, 16:20
To all people who hate the look:
What exactly did you expect from a flying Land Raider? I think it looks exactly as bulky as expected, edges as typical Space Marine vehicle, just with wings and turbines attached.

unheilig
11-11-2010, 16:21
Its ugly as hell in a really cool way. I hope they allow for other chapters taking it.

Fobster
11-11-2010, 16:22
i was hoping for shorter and longer. Like a full brick not a half brick

viking657
11-11-2010, 16:22
Shall we all ring direct tommorrow and gloat that we have seen it? I'm thinking with all the grace of eric cartman

lachlin
11-11-2010, 16:23
I like the look of it. Bulky, ugly! Hells yeah!

Azzy
11-11-2010, 16:24
Y'know, it's so ugly it's kinda of cute... like a pug or a hairless cat. I'll withhold further judgment until I see it from other angles, but it dos seem ugly. Though in some twisted sort of way I also find its ugliness kind of endearing... I think I might have to get one or two of these. :D

spagunk
11-11-2010, 16:25
To all people who hate the look:
What exactly did you expect from a flying Land Raider? I think it looks exactly as bulky as expected, edges as typical Space Marine vehicle, just with wings and turbines attached.

Shorter and longer. Were i skillful with the knife, I would extend the back a bit and bring the wings closer to the front. It just looks too front heavy and the back looks too delicate.

Slashattack
11-11-2010, 16:25
Man that thing is ugly, I think the old dark eldar grotesques were actually better model. GW have gone from a new high with the new dark eldar to a new low with this abomination of a model!

daemonish
11-11-2010, 16:27
I have to say i'm not a big fan, but it does remind me of the dropship from aliens a little. I think they are just looking at sci-fi movies and taking design notes from them i mean look at the the tatooine sail barges erm i mean dark eldar raiders, fingers crossed for a tau star destroyer or necron hunter killer construct.

Vic
11-11-2010, 16:30
I have to say i'm not a big fan, but it does remind me of the dropship from aliens a little.

After about the 5th ale, I might agree with you!

Tomalock
11-11-2010, 16:33
I edited the first post and put in the text and a link to the pic (thanks Brother Constentine and Fobster and all the others who saved the pics and the text, was so excited about the find that I didn't think to save it myself).

iamjack42
11-11-2010, 16:33
It might look longer from a different angle. I hope so anyway. The accompanying text mentioned a Blood Angels battleforce. Does that mean there will finally be a Blood Angels battleforce, or was that just an equivocation?

viking657
11-11-2010, 16:34
makes you wonder what else we may be getting in january?

If this was an article for Feb WD then it may well be a late Jan release and clearly if Grey Knights were in Jan the article would be Grey Knight Storm Raven based not Blood Angels.
Must be something else being released alongside it......

Tomalock
11-11-2010, 16:40
Someone on BoLS pointed out the furioso in the background. Its really hard to tell, but it is not visibly the same as the one they are selling atm. What do you guys think? Possibly the plastic kit everyone is hoping for?

Xeones
11-11-2010, 16:42
Well, I'm not really a rabbid fan of the design, but as a fearless converter, I see loads of potential here.

I think my first acts will be to remove the dorsal intake thing, replace the turret with a lower profile version and rework the cockpit to appear a bit more armored.

I'm just gonna keep my razor saw handy when I order two... ;)

viking657
11-11-2010, 16:43
Well spotted on the dreadnought that is not the one they are selling at the minute, fingers crossed!

Raibaru
11-11-2010, 16:44
It looks dreadful, sure. But so did the Hellions that they showed us. And once we saw them in person and in more detail, they turned out alright.

Plus this thing is supposed to have a dreadnaught in the backseat so maybe it will look good with its complete payload intact.

Dr. Who
11-11-2010, 16:45
I wonder if that Blood Angels Furioso Dreadnought in the back ground is new? I don't remember the old one having wings on either side of the sarcophagos.

- Dr.

Zweischneid
Well spotted on the dreadnought that is not the one they are selling at the minute, fingers crossed!

Well, a (Furioso) Dread, especially with optional Librarian parts and only optional Blood Angel parts might well be another double-use kit that would get some use in both BAngels and GKnights.

Hendarion
Well, considering there is a new Dreadnought in the back and in the text there is a battle force mentioned, I'd assume that Dread, along with a few standard and assault marines with jumppacks will be part of the Battle Force. What else?

CplHicks
11-11-2010, 16:50
Well, the pic is really bad so though I wish it is a new Dreadnought, we cannot be sure imho. Well,we'll see and a Furioso/Librarian combikit makes sense so there is a good chance admittedly.

As to the contents of the box I'd assume at least one pack of Deathcompany as they are quite multipurpose. The dread would fit in well. And besides that a Tac Squad to get sales on a troop type the BA players don't seem to use that often. ^^

daemonicemission
11-11-2010, 16:51
Actual or kitbash, it doesn't look as sexy as this IMO:

http://img265.imageshack.us/i/stormraven1.jpg/

Try as I might on my 30 minute lunchbreak, I couldn't find the origin of this creation or its creator, so if any one knows, please plug away. I think it was someone on BOLS.

I think I remember the guy saying he did this with just a valk and landraider. If that is the case, I may be converting a few of my own instead of buying the new one. I don't know, maybe this new one will grow on me.

I would be really interested to see the dread grapple system on the new official kit; it would be sweet if it was an actual working mechanism.

spetswalshe
11-11-2010, 16:52
My god, it looks like someone cut the back half off a Valkyrie and then glued it on to an upturned cigarette packet. I was rather hoping to be all 'IN YOUR FACE SPACE WOLVES' but I think they got the clean end of the stick without this thing in their codex.

Presumably it's made like that so the wings can fold in mid-flight and it can get through small gaps, like a sparrow. And by the placement of it's weapons I'm guessing either the front of the craft is angled down like a rubbish helicopter tilting forward, or it just isn't bothered about shooting ground troops.

Actual or kitbash, it doesn't look as sexy as this IMO:

http://img265.imageshack.us/i/stormraven1.jpg/

Very true.

Jackmojo
11-11-2010, 17:06
Well regardless of how it looks in that picture (and I am also reserving judgment for the moment) it does look like it will be trivially easy to kit-bash a Thunderhawk or two out of them (as predicted).

Now it just needs to come with a passenger model like the Land Speeder Storm does...but a Dreadnought passenger.

Jack

doghouse
11-11-2010, 17:07
I believe the phrase is "D'oh!"

And there was me thinking that a thunderhawk and valkyrie's DNA just won't splice.

Weird looking thing, major blunder to see it so soon. Guess this confirms the first of the flyers being released then.

Vaktathi
11-11-2010, 17:07
Not really a huge fan of this model at all, it looks *really* frumpy and grossly imbalanced, like those eggplane (http://static.hlj.com/images/hsg/hsgth2.jpg) models with a big tail stuck on the back.

Erwos
11-11-2010, 17:11
Not really a huge fan of this model at all, it looks *really* frumpy and grossly imbalanced, like those eggplane (http://static.hlj.com/images/hsg/hsgth2.jpg) models with a big tail stuck on the back.
I was wondering where I had seen this look before!

It's ugly as hell, and I am sure Games Workshop will be selling a million of them. Cue the White Dwarf rules that allow other marine codexes to take them, too.

(Of course, if GW made them an FA choice for CSM, I'd buy three myself. Hint, hint!)

loveless
11-11-2010, 17:14
I wonder if that Blood Angels Furioso Dreadnought in the back ground is new? I don't remember the old one having wings on either side of the sarcophagos.

- Dr.

As far as I can tell, none of the current Dreadnoughts have the wing motif like that available.

It doesn't seem to have the usual Forgeworld-style chestplate/head, either, so I doubt it's from them.

Could be a conversion, of course, though a new model isn't beyond reasoning.

Culgore
11-11-2010, 17:16
I wonder if they would make bits on the furioso/libby kit that would connect the dread to the back end. Use a sort of ball-joint system attaching the shoulders and and legs to the back of it. Say four ball-joints could probably connect the two kits.

edit: I guess my thinking is that it will be less awkward looking with a dread on it (or more awkward... :shifty: )

MajorWesJanson
11-11-2010, 17:24
Y'know, it's so ugly it's kinda of cute... like a pug or a hairless cat. I'll withhold further judgment until I see it from other angles, but it dos seem ugly. Though in some twisted sort of way I also find its ugliness kind of endearing... I think I might have to get one or two of these. :D

It does sort of have that ugly cute look to it. Like a Chibi Thunderhawk.

Where is the flying stand supposed to mount on it? Under the fuselage is too far forward, under the tail is too far back.

Looks like two clear plastic parts, and a crew of two (pilot and turret gunner)

Hmm, it might look a lot better if you leave off the tail in the rear. I may do that.

Leaving out Grey Knights is probably for the best right now, as that lets them sell the Raven on it's own, then later they can announce and hype the GKs a bit later without taking away current DE interest.

Last time I was at the GW store in Baltimore I got to discussing release dates with a Black Shirt (yeah, a black shirt granted) but I mentioned the Storm Raven maybe coming out, and said January, and he responded that January was a Skaven wave, but he also heard about a mini wave with the Raven and Furioso dread, and mentioned maybe December.

I can see a lot of influences on it from other kits-
Wings from the Valk (I wish they put landing gear on the wingtips instead of rear fuselage, I may borrow some parts from a Valk and do that myself
Tail looks perfect for a fighta-bomba for orks
Turret from the Marauder (I hope it is a normal SM turret ring so we can put razorback turrets and vice versa
Front Ramp and side doors from the Rhino, which may make for easy swap ins from other kits and FW door packs
Engine pods and intake feel like Land Speeders with a bit of Whirlwing turret thrown in.
Cockpit looks like the Arvus Lighter

dragonet111
11-11-2010, 17:25
The model is nice but not really up to the expectation but I like that sturdy look.

Here how I see the thing. If this is the real deal it's cool because it's going to hit the shelf rather soon (forget the prince daemon incident:D) if it is not the real deal it's also cool because it's a chance of getting a better model.

But me being an impatient dude I wish this is the real deal:D

Spectral Dragon
11-11-2010, 17:25
seems I was wrong about this not coming out with the GK's, although this is almost sounding like a second wave release rather than a GK's release so I wasn't far off.

MajorWesJanson
11-11-2010, 17:27
Looking at the icons, it looks like they are separate, similar to the Drop Pod icons. Maybe the same mounting system?

Esinhorn
11-11-2010, 17:27
I do not like it that much as a flyer,I like some of the kitbashes better.
But there are two great ideas I could use the parts for.
Like said Old School Razorback Turret ,Twin Las, plamsa.
And the main body looks like it would be a good base for a Mk1 Land Raider,maybe with baneblade tracks or even aftermarket WWII tank treads.

Dakka Dan 42
11-11-2010, 17:32
Dear god, that thing is ugly as sin! However, rip the wings and tail fin off, then slap some big robot legs on the sides where the doors are.... and you've got a pretty bad-ass Squig Stompa!

MistaGav
11-11-2010, 17:33
It's a weird combination between the kitbashes that I've seen where people have stuck a land raider onto a Valkryies wings but took the detailing a little further.

I'm no aviation expert but it doesn't look like a very practical vehicle for flight and combat. It looks like it has to be on a constant lean in order to fire the main gun and it looks like it will be as it seems to front heavy. Will be interesting to see it from many angles...either way I want 2!

dreamwarder
11-11-2010, 17:38
Awesome rumour. Well done OP.

There are some interesting secondary rumours implied here by the article:

1) Stormraven release is imminent (February 2011?) - perhaps before GK
2) Blood Angel Battleforce is a possibility (Given the reference to Battleforces in the article) but will not likely include a stormraven (go back and read the article).
3) GK release unlikely before Feb 2011 (making the March date more credible)
4) With the stormraven and a possible battleforce, could there be more BA goodies on the way? (2nd Wave).

We could use some more pictures, and the article suggests there may be some, since it refers to a painting guide with interior details etc. Did anyone capture these, or were they not online?

Mini77
11-11-2010, 17:41
It's ugly. I like it.

Erwos
11-11-2010, 17:44
There have been persistent rumors of a 2nd wave BA release in January, so this isn't much of a surprise. Anyone who thinks the battleforce is going to include a Stormraven must be smoking something good.

Tomalock
11-11-2010, 17:44
In response to your question about other pictures Dreamwarder, no that was all. It just showed what appeared to be the first page in the article in place of where the FAQ link should have been. It must have caused some serious web issues because they *STILL* have not repaired the link to the 40k FAQs and we are going on a couple hours now.

To add to your list, the possibly new Furioso in the background is juciy as well, although much harder to substantiate due to it being in the background and all we can tell is that its not like the current one.

bork da basher
11-11-2010, 18:02
i purchased a stormraven knockoff from some dodgy mini company based in the phillipines which looks awesome....this if it is the new stormraven is a monstrosity it looks horrid, squat and *****. im so happy i got the mini i have instead of waiting for that. im so unimpressed.

bad GW. very very bad.

MalusCalibur
11-11-2010, 18:04
What an ugly, ridiculous looking model. Up to GW's 'standards', then.
I almost feel sorry for the person who will inevitably be fired for the blunder. Almost.
And I don't really understand the 'It's ugly. But I'll buy it anyway!' responses. Kind of gives GW the message that producing models like this is acceptable.

Mini77
11-11-2010, 18:06
None of the Space Marine vehicles are good looking. They're supposed to just be functional. It's a flying Land Raider, and I think the look fits.

Each to their own however.

Kroot Lord
11-11-2010, 18:11
i purchased a stormraven knockoff from some dodgy mini company based in the phillipines which looks awesome....this if it is the new stormraven is a monstrosity it looks horrid, squat and *****. im so happy i got the mini i have instead of waiting for that. im so unimpressed.

bad GW. very very bad.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Fallen DA
11-11-2010, 18:14
I actually thought the design looked more Orc than Human lol....

doghouse
11-11-2010, 18:16
It does bring back memories of the original flying shoebox thunder hawk.

blooddragon
11-11-2010, 18:21
Look in the top left of the picture and you'll see a new dreadnaught with a right-hand close-combat weapon. If I'm right in my rabid fan-boy speculation, we're getting the first look of a new plastic dreadnaught kit for Furiosos (and variants?):):):):):):)

And I kinda like the Raven

Tymell
11-11-2010, 18:34
Shorter and longer. Were i skillful with the knife, I would extend the back a bit and bring the wings closer to the front. It just looks too front heavy and the back looks too delicate.

Sums up my take too. It's not that it looks bulky or crude (in comparison to alien craft say) that's the problem, it's that it feels so badly proportioned.

A chunky front half all squashed up...and then some thin wings and thrusters stapled onto the back. I try to imagine it taking off and can't stop seeing the front half hanging down from the sheer weight while the thrusters strain up...strain up, like a vulture trying to lift an elephant...then snap off and fly away while the front bit clangs back down onto the ground.

Hendarion
11-11-2010, 18:36
A chunky front half all squashed up...and then some thin wings and thrusters stapled onto the back. I try to imagine it taking off and can't stop seeing the front half hanging down from the sheer weight while the thrusters strain up...strain up, like a vulture trying to lift an elephant...then snap off and fly away while the front bit clangs back down onto the ground.
Sounds absolutely like an ordinary Space Marine Aircraft after all.

Wicksy
I like the model enough, but think it's a pretty stupid that ONLY BA's and GK's have them????

Dont worry, you want the caestus attack ram:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine_Aircraft/CAESTUS-ASSAULT-RAM.html

All space marines except BA's. Someone at forgeworld had the right hump with the stormraven apparently ;)

bielmic
thanks for the find... i think. not your fault it looks like a flying brick, OP! :) i've been holding off making my own version to see what the official one looks like but now i'm thinking that the kitbash plans online look better than the official one. :(

Perfect Organism
Looks like an excellent base for alooted fighta-bomma. I wonder how hard it would be to fit the dozer blade from an ork battlewagon over the front of it?

Pacific
11-11-2010, 18:39
Good to see the posts are up to their usual level of vitriol, after reading the first few pages of comments I thought that some of the good people of Warseer had lost their edge :)

None of the Space Marine vehicles are good looking. They're supposed to just be functional. It's a flying Land Raider, and I think the look fits.

Each to their own however.

Indeed, I think people have been spoilt by the recent DE release, and expect everything to be smooth and organic. Personally I think it looks kind of cool, like a mini thunderhawk!

Faeslayer
11-11-2010, 18:41
Can anyone name a single marine vehicle that doesn't look less aerodynamic than a rubik's cube? Even their bikes look like bricks.

I think it's totally space marine.

PidGinRat
11-11-2010, 18:46
I think it definitely fits the marine aesthetic. However, I'll concur that it does look front heavy- but that also seems intentional. If you'll notice, it almost seems purpose-built to accommodate a Rhino or Landraider attached underneath the wing assembly, it's practically a negative cut-out of the space marine 'tank' profile underneath the wings and engines.

Attach your favorite vehicle, and rejoice in your new-found balance.

-PGR

Hendarion
11-11-2010, 18:48
I think it definitely fits the marine aesthetic. However, I'll concur that it does look front heavy- but that also seems intentional. If you'll notice, it almost seems purpose-built to accommodate a Rhino or Landraider attached underneath the wing assembly, it's practically a negative cut-out of the space marine 'tank' profile underneath the wings and engines.

Attach your favorite vehicle, and rejoice in your new-found balance.

-PGR
Based on that, GW should have maybe released only a pair of wings, compatible to attach them to any Space Marine vehicle based on a Rhino hull and one pair of wings for the Land Raider hull. Won't be more unfluffy for the AdMech to produce it than the StormRaven.

massey
11-11-2010, 18:49
No wonder only the Blood Angels use them. It's ugly as hell.

CplHicks
11-11-2010, 18:53
The way the last paragraph refers to the february White Dwarf seems to me as we can expect a release not earlier then march as these painting articles are released close to the release of the kit.

As for aerodynamics, what the posters above said about most Marine vehicles/flyers. ;) The housing at the lower part of the front part of the hull, visible just behind the backpacks of the two marines in the middle looks as though this might be a thruster thingy. Which would allow for the propulsion to lift it from the ground. Might be the case for the landing on the other hand. Whatever. ^^

They need to release it for all Marine armies! Or I just paint it ImpFist yellow regardless. :D

Gussy
11-11-2010, 18:54
It looks too small to be able to fit all those SM in front of it. I don't see it carrying anything other than a scout squad.

Hendarion
11-11-2010, 18:58
It looks too small to be able to fit all those SM in front of it. I don't see it carrying anything other than a scout squad.
No, it's perfect if you compare it to the size of a Rhino ;)

BobtheInquisitor
I know I have no taste, but I really like this design. It looks like a flying brick covered in guns, which is just what the apothecary ordered. It reminds me, with it's "function over form, even when unnecessary" aesthetic, of the Agamemnon from Babylon 5. Plus, it looks a lot like a land speeder with a larger fuselage, so the design lineage is intact.

I really hope it comes with optional Grey Knights heraldry, though, because I'm not interested in the Blood Angels.

nagash66
What do we know about the price?

CplHicks
11-11-2010, 19:00
I think this applies to basicaly all vehicles (edit: that they are too small for their load capacities). E.G. the Rhino. So no surprise here.

Ninja'd by Hendarion.

Friedrich von Offenbach
11-11-2010, 19:00
Its kind of ugly, its too 'stubby' and doesn't look like it could actually have any flying potential what so ever.

Azazyll
11-11-2010, 19:02
remember it has to fit a dreadnought on the back. it may look better with that

neXus6
11-11-2010, 19:03
Part of me has to wonder if we will see something akin to the release of the plastic giant kit where suddenly pretty much every army in the game was given access to a giant.

Maybe there are enough BA players to have resulted in a kit like this, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got opened up to everyone else...except Dark Angels of course.
:p

sukigod
11-11-2010, 19:04
Giant cartoon armored guppy. I want one for my fishbowl!

havik110
11-11-2010, 19:05
Anyone else notice the BA dread with wings in the top left hand corner

Voss
11-11-2010, 19:06
What do we know about the price?

Nothing beyond guesswork. I'd assume valkyrie or land raider price at least.

dragonet111
11-11-2010, 19:06
Anyone else notice the BA dread with wings in the top left hand corner

Yes this thread is moving too fast but it has already been discussed :D

Voss
11-11-2010, 19:09
None of the Space Marine vehicles are good looking. They're supposed to just be functional.
Thats part of whats generating the negative comments. Take the picture to a aerospace engineer and ask if its remotely functional. Be prepared to wait half an hour while they laugh, though.

thelightbringer
11-11-2010, 19:09
I love it! I find it amazing that a lot of people are saying its rubbish, a bit of me thinks no matter how good the design they would still say it was crap! I mean the thunderhawk looks like a carton you would get from a Chinese take away with a phallus stuck on to it, hardly a dewsign classic, but its wonderful!

Ill defo get one

Vaktathi
11-11-2010, 19:11
It's not only that it doesn't look functional or realistic, but just plain silly. It looks like a box with a tail stuck to it, or a Yugo with wings. Not a mighty ground assault transport of the Astartes.

Jayden63
11-11-2010, 19:13
Ugly guppy is ugly. So never getting one even if my Wolves get access to it in the future.

Thoume
11-11-2010, 19:16
Stormpigeon; fat yet can somehow fly!

Might be worth looting for the orks, base for an alternate stompa head or battlewagon cab, base for a warkopta, kitbash with a valk for a fighta / fightabomma etc...

Whiteflames
11-11-2010, 19:17
OMG that thing is ugly! Thank the emperor it is Blood Angels only. :) I understand that SM vehicles are supposed to be bulky, and with enough power even a brick can fly, but c'mon this thing is just so unbalanced. I'd suggest removing the tail and adding some canards instead.

shaso_iceborn
11-11-2010, 19:18
Naw my Orks will get 3 simply because they can!!! This has excellent potential for an Orky Kunvershun.

Shadowmancer
11-11-2010, 19:26
noone said space marine functionality had anything to do with aerodynamics, just strap a giant rocket or three on the back and it is good to go. The thunderhawk is barely aerodynamic. The Storm Raven fits the Space Marine Aesthetic though and that is the main point rather than being something else.

The Phazer
11-11-2010, 19:30
Well that's a huge cock up. The more GW tightens it's grip, the more information will slip through it's fingers.

I'm not keen on that model at all. At all. It's just far too short and tall - people saying the Marine aesthetic is that are wrong - there's nothing in the marine armoury that's so tall compared to it's length, and that's the main reason it looks so silly.

Phazer

dragonet111
11-11-2010, 19:36
Like someone else said I hope it's the "Hellion Syndrome" and the next pictures will be more appealing. I like the models but I expected something better, I was probably expected too much:D

AlexHolker
11-11-2010, 19:37
I love it! I find it amazing that a lot of people are saying its rubbish, a bit of me thinks no matter how good the design they would still say it was crap!
Nonsense. Over at Dakka Dakka people have been posting various mock-ups of improved versions, all of which are better than this one.

gitburna
11-11-2010, 19:42

bad GW. very very bad.

if you're talking about this thing http://www.flickr.com/photos/52198624@N07/4836330937/

then deliberately ugly as the "official" version is, i think i prefer it to the bobbins knock-off. This thing (to me) says cross between a landspeeder and a thunderhawk, (i can imagine the front section has some antigrav array) while "bobbins" looks like a terrible attempt to make a landraider vaguely aerodynamic.

If anyone cares to look at the shape of the model, it looks really good if you "cover up" the top turret, much more like an inbetweener of a landspeeder and thunderhawk. That large turret with lascannons (or whatever) is (hopefully) optional.

suprememidgetoverlord
11-11-2010, 19:46
It would make sense if the kit would have a few dreadnought bits, being able to transport one.

It would also provide a different option for a dread, without have a 12th kit for a dread.

I kinda like the stormraven, I would never buy one, but it kinda has that marine look to it.

Xeones
11-11-2010, 19:50
A little photoshop magic for you all. I'm going to try to convert mine to look more like this:

Shouldn't be too hard with a little card. I swiped the turret from a razorback for the picture, but I wouldn't really plan on using a one of those turrets. I'm thinking something even lower profile would be better.

MistaGav
11-11-2010, 19:58
I quite like that photoshop job and maybe apply it for my own (whenever it's released). The turret swap would make an interesting conversion on a razorback come to think of it...

de Selby
11-11-2010, 20:01
That is a slight improvement Xeones (and looks even more like a fish).

The marine vehicles have always had a bit of a design problem. The brick-with-tracks look sort of works for the tanks (although I've never much liked them, I think they're particularly dull).

It doesn't really work for the aircraft. The thunderhawk design has always looked like a plane designed by a child. The T-hawk transporter looks a little better as it is clearly an antigrav vehicle with stabiliser fins, not wings. This thing is just silly. Imagine trying to explain it to someone who's not been conditioned by the existing marine range... "but it's supposed to look like that!"

Hopefully GK will get some other cool options and I can fill my collection out with those.

Voss
11-11-2010, 20:05
noone said space marine functionality had anything to do with aerodynamics, just strap a giant rocket or three on the back and it is good to go.

It might go forward, but it would never go up.

The marine vehicles have always had a bit of a design problem. The brick-with-tracks look sort of works for the tanks (although I've never much liked them, I think they're particularly dull).
I think thats the biggest thing. The tanks, though they're ugly and bland, have design elements from real tanks (there was a reason the original land raider was majorly redesigned). The rhino/razorback (after the redesign) had elements recognizable from the U.S. Bradley Fighting Vehicle (and probably others), and lots of imperial tanks are directly inspired by WWI & II vehicles. They are a little boring, but they are grounded in reality. The valkyrie worked because it was a nice looking model, and some effort was made to give a passing nod to physics- weight in the center, long boom tail, etc. It wasn't perfect, but combine with a touch of sci-fi and its believable enough. This thing is an ugly, ugly brick. It may have some design elements in common with other marine vehicles, but it doesn't have the grounding in real vehicles to make it believable enough. If it were a tau, eldar, or necron design it would be much less of a problem, but imperial tech has been repeatedly emphasized as not being particularly advanced except in a few areas (where its maintained by religious rote, not scientific understanding). One of reason the imperial vehicles are so grounded in the 20th century, is because thats roughly where a lot of the imperial tech is set, barring power plants and materials. Which is why we can look at this thing and go...nah, wouldn't work.

loveless
11-11-2010, 20:09
It might go forward, but it would never go up.

It does if the Emperor says it does, heretic!

:p

Gorbad Ironclaw
11-11-2010, 20:10
The thing that really puzzles me isn't that it's a flying land raider, it's that it's a flying Rogue Trader edition Land Raider. The end result is a rather unfortunate model that even given 40k physics (none at all) doesn't look even remotely functional.

It's a shame really as up until now Marines have IMO easily had the best looking Imperial vehicles, but this is just terrible.

Formerly Wu
11-11-2010, 20:11
What an adorably ugly little thing. The immediate mental image is of a pug dog, with those bug eyes and a face that looks like it's been chasing parked cars, to which someone has cruelly tied a pair of sparkly butterfly wings.

The Decayed
11-11-2010, 20:15
I think the Space Marine squad in front of it is hiding a bunch of "jet booster thingies" in the hull, like the same things it has at the end of it's wings.
With that "booster thingy" there, I think it's just as "likely" to fly as a Valkyrie.

I think I like it...

Though the "chop off air intake ,and replace turret for Razorback turret" idea definately improves the whole machine.

I really like that version. I might buy one and turn it into some random dropship thing.
Most lileky just to be a piece of scenery, or as a unique vehicle for my Inquisitor to ride in, in an Apocalypse game.

SteelSpectre
Wow....that's depressing. I guess I'll still do an DH air cav army, with ISTs(I don't care what bols says) in Valkyries and Grey Knights in Stormravens, but that model is really gonna detract from the overall aesthetic.

Tamereth
I don't like it.

The front end's good, like a mini thunderhawk as expected.
The turret on top is horride, a squared off version of the eldar turrent on a falcon, should of just used the one from a razor back.
The back end seems far to flimsy, it's needs bucking out a bit.

Maybe it doesn't look so bad form another angle?

Whiteflames
11-11-2010, 20:17
Xeones, I like the direction you are going. I was also just messing around in Photoshop trying to come up with something better (and your PS skills are much better then mine). Anyway, I think a few more adjustments and we could have something acceptable. I think you need to add the meltas back to the nose as it looks too plain without them. Next, move the razorback turret a little forward. And finally, remove the vertical stabilizers from the tail. What do you think?

Hendarion
11-11-2010, 20:19
Why do all say it looks like Rogue Trader Land Raider? Did you guys ever have seen one? It clearly looks like a current Land Raider.

Askari
11-11-2010, 20:21
I agree with much of the sentiment on here, it's quite terrible.

It's not that it's a brick, so are the Land Raiders and Thunderhawks, and they're cool. But it's unbalanced - the front is typical Astartes bulk, while the back is more Valkyrie transporter. It would look much better with the hull stretched back, with the Dreadnought instead of being grapple-carried, held in a rear bay, with a sufficiently large assault ramp.

BramGaunt
11-11-2010, 20:22
It more looks like the current Land Raider and the old Land Raider had a happy-time with wa Valkyrie, which was not pleased...

If you look carefull you'll see the new Furioso kit in the left upper corner.

Emeraldw
11-11-2010, 20:27
So ugly, yet so cute. I must have one!

de Selby
11-11-2010, 20:28
It's not that it's a brick, so are the Land Raiders and Thunderhawks, and they're cool. But it's unbalanced - the front is typical Astartes bulk, while the back is more Valkyrie transporter. It would look much better with the hull stretched back, with the Dreadnought instead of being grapple-carried, held in a rear bay, with a sufficiently large assault ramp.

FW's Arvus lighter is even more of a brick, and that's one of my favourite Imperial fliers. It looks a bit star wars to my mind. It's a simple anti-grav design and it doesn't suffer from looking like it's had all sorts of odd wings and guns stuck on in unlikely places.

Xeones
11-11-2010, 20:28
Xeones, I like the direction you are going. I was also just messing around in Photoshop trying to come up with something better (and your PS skills are much better then mine). Anyway, I think a few more adjustments and we could have something acceptable. I think you need to add the meltas back to the nose as it looks too plain without them. Next, move the razorback turret a little forward. And finally, remove the vertical stabilizers from the tail. What do you think?

Thank you. Personally, I hated the meltas on the nose so I'm pretty happy without them being there. I think adding a bit more greable back to the area could work though. I just didn't bother doing something like that in my image since mine was more of a "proof of concept" than anything else. I started out with the turret farther forword, but decided I liked it a bit farther back instead. I guess it's a personal call. As to tweeking the tail... Did you mean the horizontal (or nearly so) stabilizers? If so, I'd say I'd rather add in a tail that looked more like a landspeeder than I would just chopping off the horizontal parts.

vlad78
11-11-2010, 20:30
Just my 2 cents.. suddenly I'm happy that codex marines don't get it. (yet)

The hull is the worst kit GW ever did imho. Even the land speeder is stellar compared to that .. thing. (or even the old RT SM dread which looked like an egg)

If I ever get my hands on one (if someone offers it to me), I think I'll just barely keep the wings and the tail. The rest will directly feed my bitz box.

GW designers should be ashamed, there are so many convertions out there, all of them better than that. I can't think of a vehicle that hurts my eyes more.

IG walkyries are so much better. A GUARD FLYER!! Normally most of the guards vehicles are just functionnal and there aren't much thought for the aerodynamic. Marines used to have vehicles with a more futuristic look, now it becomes the opposite for the new flyers.

What are they thinking? they modelled exquisite dark eldars and now this? Disappointment is the mood of the day for me.

...like I said, just my opinion. (still hope that's not the official design)

vlad

vlad78
11-11-2010, 20:33
Thank you. Personally, I hated the meltas on the nose so I'm pretty happy without them being there. I think adding a bit more greable back to the area could work though. I just didn't bother doing something like that in my image since mine was more of a "proof of concept" than anything else. I started out with the turret farther forword, but decided I liked it a bit farther back instead. I guess it's a personal call. As to tweeking the tail... Did you mean the horizontal (or nearly so) stabilizers? If so, I'd say I'd rather add in a tail that looked more like a landspeeder than I would just chopping off the horizontal parts.

Thanks for giving us ideas on how to improve that kit.
vlad

scarletsquig
11-11-2010, 20:33
Looks fairly horrible, the forgeworld one looks a lot better.

If it was a piece of terrain (with the wings and tail removed) I'd be fairly impressed, but it's not.

It'd make a pretty neat attack buggy if you removed the tail and wings and added 4 big wheels to it.

AlexHolker
11-11-2010, 20:37
Why do all say it looks like Rogue Trader Land Raider? Did you guys ever have seen one? It clearly looks like a current Land Raider.
Because the old Land Raider was tall with a small footprint. This is tall with a small footprint, with some aircraft bits glued unconvincingly to the back.

Jackmojo
11-11-2010, 20:38
I get the complaints and certainly hope it looks better once we see some more pictures, but the shape of the hull makes sense, as its clearly inspired by the sky crane.

Jack

rob1992
11-11-2010, 20:39
It's been 4 and a half hours since I first saw this so I've had time to think about it.

This is the worst GW model I've ever seen. It is definitely the worst vehicle from any manufacturer I've ever seen. I honestly can't think of any redeeming features about it. I really can't think of any model worse, I mean at least you can laugh at Nagash, but this isn't even funny. I genuinely thought it was a conversion from something made by fisher price. The only possible reason I would get one is to make an Ork fighta-bomba, but even then it would hurt my eyes.

Sorry for the rant, it's just that bad

AlexHolker
11-11-2010, 20:41
I get the complaints and certainly hope it looks better once we see some more pictures, but the shape of the hull makes sense, as its clearly inspired by the sky crane.
If it had a longer tail and didn't have the massive lump of a nose, sure. But it doesn't and it does, so it doesn't possess the attributes that make the sky crane make sense.

vlad78
11-11-2010, 20:44
It's been 4 and a half hours since I first saw this so I've had time to think about it.

This is the worst GW model I've ever seen. It is definitely the worst vehicle from any manufacturer I've ever seen. I honestly can't think of any redeeming features about it. I really can't think of any model worse, I mean at least you can laugh at Nagash, but this isn't even funny. I genuinely thought it was a conversion from something made by fisher price. The only possible reason I would get one is to make an Ork fighta-bomba, but even then it would hurt my eyes.

Sorry for the rant, it's just that bad

Sorry, I have to disagree, for the orks, it's just fine as a starting base. more Dakka, more armor and it will be fantastic. (and it's already red)

Naah if I were still building an ork army, I would rejoice.
But I'm not currently.:cries:
vlad

vlad78
11-11-2010, 20:46
Because the old Land Raider was tall with a small footprint. This is tall with a small footprint, with some aircraft bits glued unconvincingly to the back.

I still love the old Land Raider. i hate this one.

vlad

nagash66
11-11-2010, 20:50
I for one like it, and assuming it will be priced within reason will pick up at least 2 for my BA.

Mirbeau
11-11-2010, 20:50
Looks like an excellent base for alooted fighta-bomma. I wonder how hard it would be to fit the dozer blade from an ork battlewagon over the front of it?

That is the most beautiful thing I have read today.

On-topic: whine,whine,whine whine....

You'd think the other chapters were jealous or something... 'She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid'.

;)

Lord Fatwa
11-11-2010, 20:55
I don't care. I like it!

I will cut it up and remake it, sure, but at least I don't have to buy a Land Raider and a Valkyrie to have one now.

To those wishing to be rid of the turret on top, would it look better if the lascannons were mounted where the meltas are, and the meltas but in those intake bits on the sides by the door?

Whiteflames
11-11-2010, 20:57

Yes, the horizontal stabilizer. I was thinking vertical as that is the attitude they would compensate for. Anyway, I think the Land Speeder tail idea could work. Also, have you seen the pic that MajorTom11 did over on Dakka Dakka (http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/154621-storm-raven%20redesign.html)? That one looks really good as well with the added thrusters on the front.

nifty
11-11-2010, 21:00
i love this thread after months of speculating on what the hell this thing will look like here it is.i gotta admit i like it but i understand why others dont.it's just so funny that gw clamped down on any information about anything.i mean the gw newsletters are completely useless they tend to just tell us what we knew last week.then some guy just wants to check a faq and wow guess what here's the raven probably a new furioso oh and by the way were doing a blood angels battleforce.they've even kind of given us a timeframe.

the_yuk
11-11-2010, 21:05
Its no valk now is it. I think there tried two hard to make this a compact thunderhawk and failed. It reminds me of those little smart cars to be honest.

Hermanesq
11-11-2010, 21:07
see,

comparing the official gw Stormraven to bulldog's

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/BulldogUK/GreyKnightStormravenfinished3.jpg

Very similar, but i think Bulldog has done a much better version, still not what I had in mind, but better at least.

Saying that, i'd just prefer a proper Thunderhawk and be done with it.

scarletsquig
11-11-2010, 21:10
Its no valk now is it. I think there tried two hard to make this a compact thunderhawk and failed. It reminds me of those little smart cars to be honest.

Ah ha! Now you've summed up my thoughts perfectly. When seeing this my mind reacted with the same :wtf: feeling I get whenever I see one of these on the road:

http://www.prestigeimport.com/i//SmartCar.jpg

Ominous Anonymous
11-11-2010, 21:12
I like it; it looks like a cut-down transport meant to get stuff in and then get them out. I think the fact that it's missing the dread it's supposed to carry leaves a lot of undesirable empty space.

Rick Blaine
11-11-2010, 21:13
That's really quite terrible, except for lootin'

sigur
11-11-2010, 21:16
I think that (apart from introducing flyers to 40k being a HORRIBLE idea and has no merit what so ever but for GW to sell their now bigger plastic kits) it looks okay actually.

fataljd
11-11-2010, 21:20
Well I was going to save my pennies for one, but now I have my doubts, hehe.

To me, it looks like a Valkyrie crashed into the back of the old, old Landraider model and this was the result.

AstartesWarMachine
11-11-2010, 21:21
That is the best web team balls up EVAH.I bet my right arm this was done on purpose.

loveless
11-11-2010, 21:25
I bet my right arm this was done on purpose.

And they put it on the FAQ page because...?

MajorWesJanson
11-11-2010, 21:25
Depending on how the kit is built, I may try a few simple changes to improve it a tad. I plan to leave off the vertical/horizontal stabilizer which will move the visual and weight center of the model closer to the front and down, more like the Caestus, and maybe leave the air intake off as well to shorten it. It seems like those two parts make the model stretch up and back, and add size for no real purpose.

Leaving the fin off should be easy, but I may need to put something on the hull to cover here the air intake.

de Selby
11-11-2010, 21:26
http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/154621-storm-raven%20redesign.html

That's pretty cool. Less random suff piled on top and more bodyweight. As an aside, it does look like the actual model will have some kind of landing gear which we can't really see.

Bulldog's model is great but it does look like it's playing conkers with those assaulting GKs.

Commissar Davis
11-11-2010, 21:31
It doesnt work, no matter how I look at it, its all wrong. Maybe I need to see it for real, but thats not just *****, but just wouldnt work, may as well try flying the Bismark.

Iverald
11-11-2010, 21:33
It more looks like the current Land Raider and the old Land Raider had a happy-time with wa Valkyrie, which was not pleased...

If you look carefull you'll see the new Furioso kit in the left upper corner.

My thoughts exactly, though I will echo people who wait for other angles of the model.
It had been the case with many models over the last two years (remember He'stan?) and apparently recently with Hellions.

phantom_lord
11-11-2010, 21:33
It feels wrong, looks to me as if its unbable to fly at all. As if i'd take off and then flip over a couple of times before crashing again.

tagsta
11-11-2010, 21:34
I think with minor modifications it is a nice kit
I will get 2 and leave the air intake and replace it with a FW razorback turret instead. the nice little turret with the marine will be placed on my razorbacks...

problem solved...

Can't wait until FW creates an add on to this kit ;)

MajorWesJanson
11-11-2010, 21:38
I think with minor modifications it is a nice kit
I will get 2 and leave the air intake and replace it with a FW razorback turret instead. the nice little turret with the marine will be placed on my razorbacks...

problem solved...

Can't wait until FW creates an add on to this kit ;)

It's tempting to use the FW Razorback turret as it is a bit lower profile.

Looking at the options, I really hope it comes with the Assault cannon and plasma cannon turret bits, and the missile and heavy bolter nose gun parts.

Cry of the Wind
11-11-2010, 21:42
Looks ok to me, not great though. I think I'll use some left over Valk bitz to make mine a little more interesting looking and less like the Space Marines are trying to rip off the Orks...

Bloodknight
11-11-2010, 21:48
That thing is probably the worst vehicle kit GW have released since the MK1 Land Raider. Man, it is ugly.

skoby
11-11-2010, 21:53
A little photoshop magic for you all. I'm going to try to convert mine to look more like this:

Shouldn't be too hard with a little card. I swiped the turret from a razorback for the picture, but I wouldn't really plan on using a one of those turrets. I'm thinking something even lower profile would be better.

I'm going to take a break from lurking and actually post for this :O but I reckon this is a huge improvement but the forgeworld razorback turret would look great http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/DefaultFW/large/rbhb.jpg

drear
11-11-2010, 22:00
i can see a landraider , valkarie and plasticard, but maybe its a mashup of existing kits to have a cheap cgi produced stormraven.
no sense re-inventing the wheel when you have several wheels around you D:

silashand
11-11-2010, 22:00
Hmmm... Originally I didn't like it, but the more I look at the model the more I think there's more to it that we can't see in the photo. At least that's my hope anyway. I will reserve judgment until we get some other angles to look at.

Cheers, Gary

rev
11-11-2010, 22:03
yeh, unless theres an option to fill out the back with another cargo bit its rubbish.

rev

Cry of the Wind
11-11-2010, 22:08
Nah you just need to buy a spare Dreadnought to glue in back there...

Jackmojo
11-11-2010, 22:13
I was thinking it might be fun to try and model a sort of folded up dreadnought...a bit like the Decepticon tapes is what I am visualizing...

Jack

Axel
11-11-2010, 22:15
To me, it looks like a Valkyrie crashed into the back of the old, old Landraider model and this was the result.

Almost. Imho this one is proof that the AM does not build new tech but rather breds it, and here someone let the Valkyrie loose among the Landraiders...

Whitehorn
11-11-2010, 22:16

Sadly, yes. Think I prefer my conversion for the most part!

I like the turret and another set of engines is always handy for other uses. Don't like the Y-tail at all!

Cergorach
11-11-2010, 22:27
About the flying, wings are only useful in a earth like atmosphere, as they are assault ships that deploy from space and redeploy to space, they need lots of thrust. I did a year of aerospace design (never completed the full four years), but the short of it is, you can make anything fly if you have enough thrust. That amount of panzer, the weight of the payload, and the amount of thrust needed to reach escape velocity should be enough to make it fly without the need for wings. The wings might be stabilizers or tools for added maneuverability. It could also be remnant of an earlier design or just superstition.

Look at an harrier for a decent vtol/stol design. Look at some of the helicopter designs with small 'wings', those things are only really useful for carrying ordnance. The IG Valkyrie has as much change of flight with those wings as this brick with it's wings, the wings aren't formed the right way to provide any form of lift. This is the issue with all fantasy/sci-fi designs, they aren't made by engineers/biologists.

crandall87
11-11-2010, 22:39
It looks awful. No where near the coolness I expected. It should just be a small thunderhawk, not a box with wings!

BobtheInquisitor
11-11-2010, 22:39
I'd suggest removing the tail and adding some canards instead.

This is brilliant! It should be fairly easy to turn the tail into a pair of canards and then glue them to the sides of the fuselage., and it will make the model look much cleaner in design.

Havarel
11-11-2010, 22:41
I think it needs an additional rule. If you use the actual SR model, than any unit that targets it needs to pass a leadership test. They'd need one to stand to look at the SR long enough to target it!

tagsta
did anyone notice the furioso dreadnought in the back?

MajorWesJanson
It should just be a small thunderhawk, not a box with wings!

But isn't the Thunderhawk a box with wings?

BramGaunt
11-11-2010, 22:45
did anyone notice the furioso dreadnought in the back?

I did, two pages back, but hate about ugly Stormraven > awesome new cybot =)

I like the fact that in "Prospero Burns" the Thunderhawk is described as an inferior, cheap, throw-away Drop Ship, nothing compared to the majesty of the Stormbird. And look where the Adeptus are nowadays.

the.alleycat.uk
11-11-2010, 22:49
Seems that is a legit image and I'm sadly disappointed... and suprised.

That looks very ugly indeed. The venting behind the turret looks out of place and it looks unbalanced. Even some stabalising 'wings' toward the front would balance this better.

Honestly a bunch of the kitbashes i've seen were superior to this effort... So i really hope that's not it or that somehow that photo is somehow warping the model into a squat and toadlike hunk of uninspired plastic.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
11-11-2010, 22:51
I did, two pages back, but hate about ugly Stormraven > awesome new cybot =)

I like the fact that in "Prospero Burns" the Thunderhawk is described as an inferior, cheap, throw-away Drop Ship, nothing compared to the majesty of the Stormbird. And look where the Adeptus are nowadays.

That Dread looks nice, like the current metal one but with more detailing.

I'm not sure about the Stormraven, it doesn't look great in the picture but I think it might look better in real life.

theunwantedbeing
11-11-2010, 22:58
The top turret with even taller air intake don't help it at all.
It just makes it look a lot taller and thinner than it really is which adds to the whole "superdeformed thunderhawk" look that is has going.

Removing those bits and moving the silly nose gun to the sides makes it look far better.

Jonny_N
11-11-2010, 23:03
I am so buying one of them!, maybe 3!

Plagueridden
11-11-2010, 23:03
looks scratchbuilt to me

Jonny_N
11-11-2010, 23:07
has anyone else noticed that the only blood angels apart from the dropship and dreadnought in the picture are the older photographed tactical squad and assault squad, not the ones featured in the newer codex?

edit: also, the wings on that dreadnought could very possibly be the ones from the dark angels chapter upgrade box set.

Walls
11-11-2010, 23:18
I wonder what the hell people actually expected? A lithe, sleek vehicle like a rhino or Landraider? Perhaps the beautiful lines of a landspeeder or the panther like curve of Space Marine armor?

Axel
11-11-2010, 23:19
I think it needs an additional rule. If you use the actual SR model, than any unit that targets it needs to pass a leadership test. They'd need one to stand to look at the SR long enough to target it!

Perhaps BA should take a test or they must shoot their own bird :D

Naa, actually I think it is not that worse. If anything, the Imperial design is functional with a total disregard for any other aspect except fear inducing size.

Azzy
11-11-2010, 23:22
So am I the only one that likes the aesthetics of the SM tanks? :eek:

Oh well, whatever, back to the Stormraven...

If it had a longer tail and didn't have the massive lump of a nose, sure. But it doesn't and it does, so it doesn't possess the attributes that make the sky crane make sense.

It really doesn't need a longer tail to carry a Dread, and the size of it's nose doesn't matter as long as the directional thrust nozzles (and amount of thrust) are placed appropriately to compensate for the distribution of its mass (and that of its cargo).

I'm really curious to see more photos at different angles. It may actually be long than it appear at this angle and its monotonous solid red paint scheme.

Cergorach
11-11-2010, 23:26
I wonder what the hell people actually expected? A lithe, sleek vehicle like a rhino or Landraider? Perhaps the beautiful lines of a landspeeder or the panther like curve of Space Marine armor?
Actually, yes. The current shot makes it look like a 'Bobblehead' Thunderhawk...

;-)

tieger
11-11-2010, 23:31
ugly :(
was hoping for something a bit sleeker i guess - as it is this doesnt even really look right compared to existing space marine vehicles, imo.
ah well, maybe will look better from other angles.

Gethvar
11-11-2010, 23:33
Actually, yes. The current shot makes it look like a 'Bobblehead' Thunderhawk...

;-)
actually it look more like the valkirie/land raider kit mix which it propably is, don't think it is the GW final model, it look like reversed valkirie glued together with LR...

Magister
11-11-2010, 23:36
I like it, and if nothing else it'll make people want to shoot at it that much quicker cos its so... bricky.

Whitehorn
11-11-2010, 23:40
Needs more brick.

Let's see your redesigns!

Tratchenberg
11-11-2010, 23:51
I like it.

It looks like there might be thrusters on the sides at the front behind those 2 marines right of the sergeant, the armour plating flares out but you can't see what its covering.

The Hoff
12-11-2010, 00:00
That model is awful.

Fortunatly, I dont think it would be too hard to convert to something better looking.

Two steps I would take:

1. Lengthen fuselage.
2. Move turret and intake further back so they abut the tail.

See link for a mock up:

Hellebore
12-11-2010, 00:17
What this model looks like to me is:

A modified thunderhawk front with the wings and engines of a valkyrie stuck on the back.\\http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/xlarge/rgthawk5.jpg

Just cut the front of the above off and put the valkyrie parts on the back.

I personally think it looks horrible.

Hellebore

tagsta
12-11-2010, 00:28
see attachment for the way I would modify it!

Hellebore
12-11-2010, 00:31
I would kitbash a valkyrie with a rhino. The biggest problem for me is how front heavy it is. It's just a box with wings floating in the air behind it. There is too much of a disjunction between them.

The valkyrie has just enough body to it and the double tail balances it out much better.

IMO.

Hellebore

ForgottenLore
12-11-2010, 00:35
I almost feel compelled to buy one when they come out just to take a swing at modifying it into something tolerable to look at.

Seriously, I think every single photoshoped image, kitbash picture and third party ravenous storm model has been an improvement over this.

Flame Boy
12-11-2010, 00:40
Argh, That thing looks like it fell out of an Advance Wars game, which is pretty jarring. I think it should be dubbed the Stormdodo, as it looks like it would be hard-pressed to take off with those tiny engines fitted to it's dangerously flimsy wings. That seems to be the problem, a flying brick would look appropriate, the fact that it's solid at the front and non-existant from the back apart from some thin-looking fins makes it look unbalanced.

I think it looks kinda cute, which isn't the look I believe they are aiming for. :p

StarFyreXXX
12-11-2010, 00:47
The front of the body seems a bit to large (it's height). If it was half an inch or maybe 3/4 slimmer, i think it would look a lot better.

So that pic is official? It appears so but want to make sure...

Sanjay

Frgt/10
12-11-2010, 00:50
having seen multiple pictures of the stormraven (and the other feb releases for that matter); that is indeed the official GW model.
It looks awesome when you see it from other angles, and it comes with EVERY option in the BA codex :D

oh its not
in fact as of feb it will be more than just BA and grey knights...

Well, a (Furioso) Dread, especially with optional Librarian parts and only optional Blood Angel parts might well be another double-use kit that would get some use in both BAngels and GKnights.

it would
but mostly BA with the way they've designed the new kit :D

Well, considering there is a new Dreadnought in the back and in the text there is a battle force mentioned, I'd assume that Dread, along with a few standard and assault marines with jumppacks will be part of the Battle Force. What else?

nope, you're a bit off

Chem-Dog
12-11-2010, 00:51
Oh my freaking God-Emperor. Nobody's getting any christmas presents this year....I'm saving up for Febuary.

scarletsquig
12-11-2010, 01:09
I'm amused by the dozens of photoshops of better designs that have emerged within 24 hours of the pic being posted.

Maybe GW should unleash a few test sculpts on the public in future and let the wargamers offer a proper redesign. ;)

jspyd3rx
12-11-2010, 01:17
w00t!! New BA battleforce!

blameless
12-11-2010, 01:22
Well I for one LOVE IT! I think I am the only one :cries: So many haters but I rekon this thing is awesome!!!

Now, Im off to paint all my ultramarines red!

Its ok though... I pinky promise I wont run more than 2 priests :D

iamjack42
12-11-2010, 01:25
having seen multiple pictures of the stormraven (and the other feb releases for that matter); that is indeed the official GW model.
It looks awesome when you see it from other angles, and it comes with EVERY option in the BA codex :D

This might get glossed over in the GW hate, but it makes great sense to me. Thank you. The picture makes it look like length is a problem, but that is absolutely a possible angle problem.

Glad to hear that GW hasn't let us down.

Tomalock
12-11-2010, 01:40
And I still can't get into the FAQs *grumble grumble* Anyone have a working link to the SW FAQ?

In other news, I really hope Feb is a banner month for GK/BA/whatever GW sends our way! Glad to hear what sounds like some degree of confirmation!

Hashshashin
12-11-2010, 01:44
^Yeah the GW website is wack right now, I was looking yesterday to find a couple of things when ForgeWorld's IA: Badab Wars popped up in the side bar links.

Is GW website going to start carring FW books?

Back on topic:

I hae to agree with vast majority of posters, in this picture it looks a bit goofy, but I will hold judgement until I see the whole thing from more than one angle, but I do fear that GW may have made a boo-boo with the lack of any real rear side to the vehicle.

Aethernaut
12-11-2010, 01:49
I like it, hopefully it will be available for all chapters soon.

iamjack42
12-11-2010, 01:59
Only 244 posts since 11:30 am EST. GW is clearly in trouble. Nobody cares!

massey
12-11-2010, 02:00
Yeah, the problem isn't that it's bulky, the problem is the back of the thing looks all flimsy and weak. I don't have a problem with a big flying brick. I do have a problem with a big flying brick that has paper airplane wings on the back.

Hopefully it'll look better from another angle. I guess I'm just used to looking at myself in the mirror, and I look good from any angle.

PostinDirty
12-11-2010, 02:14
my plans for the stormraven

Col. Tartleton
12-11-2010, 02:22
Its amazing what Anti Grav technology and Rocket-Turbine Jet Engines will justify.

Anyone care to figure out how many valkyries worth of bits would it take to make a Flying Baneblade Tank look convincing? I'm thinking between four and eight.

Templar Ben
12-11-2010, 02:28
Oh my freaking God-Emperor. Nobody's getting any christmas presents this year....I'm saving up for Febuary.

For that? :wtf:

Mudkip
12-11-2010, 02:37
It would look less front-heavy if it were carrying a dreadnought at it's back.

DuskRaider
12-11-2010, 02:38
Hahahahaha! That thing looks completely ridiculous... Enjoy it Blood Angels players! Hahahahaha!

Aluinn
12-11-2010, 02:54
It's not only that it doesn't look functional or realistic, but just plain silly. It looks like a box with a tail stuck to it, or a Yugo with wings. Not a mighty ground assault transport of the Astartes.

I agree, it isn't that it's blocky or "ugly"; I expected that. It just looks stupid. The worst offenders, detail-wise, in that regard to me are the turret on top and the little intake thingy behind it. Even worse, they look flimsy, which clashes with the overall aesthetic, but they also just look out of place on the model for other reasons.

The other problem is the general outline, which as has been said is way too front-heavy to the point of complete absurdity.

To put this in perspective, I actually like the Valkyrie quite a bit, even though it looks impractical and unrealistic. That's an aesthetic that would have worked and is (for obvious reasons) in line with Imperial Forge World stuff, which is generally good. They should have got some Forge World guys to collaborate on this.

Mudkip
12-11-2010, 02:59
I agree, if you removed the turret and dumb looking air-intake and then lengthened the transport hold then it would be more in-keeping with the typical marine vehicle. Then the Stormraven would look even more like a brick, but that's the marine aeshetic. They moved away from that aesthetic and it hasn't worked. Honestly I've be embarassed to be seen near that model.

Jakeraven
12-11-2010, 03:12
I think it is awsome, i am gona get three as soon as it is available. I can't wait to rain death down from the sky with them. hahahaha, thank you GW it rocks. remember it's just a game.
later
jake

sdf_77
12-11-2010, 03:14
although i was looking forward to an official model i have to agree with other members until we get a better look at it [whenever it gets a release]i'll just stick with my kit bashed one