PDA

View Full Version : My first High Elf Army list...omg please help me

1.6blackout
11-11-2010, 20:02
General
LVL 4 arch mage w/ high magic.

noble w/ great weapon. dragon armour. shield.

LVL 2 mage

19 spearmen full command

10 archers

10 archers

19 spearmen full command

titiranoc chariot (sorry if i butchered it)

7 Dragon Princes full command

12 white lions full command

3 bolt throwers

this is a 2k point list for my first fantasy tournament. im a 40k player and have wanted to play fantasy for a long time, but im not really sure how (at all). so please, if im making any obvious mistakes with my list that are stupid or otherwise illegal please tell me

1.6blackout
11-11-2010, 22:03
i have a cunning plan

Mattyhavok
11-11-2010, 22:12
You should probably equip the armor of caldor on the noble. That will give you a 2+ save. You should also make him a bsb. 3 bolt throwers is a little much, if you drop one of them you will be able to add in another 6 white lions.

thesheriff
11-11-2010, 22:15
I'm gonna be honest, i dont like it at all. it will get eaten in casual play, never mind a tournie. And if your a fantasy newbie, heres some help;

General
LVL 4 arch mage w/ high magic.
Needs Lore of life, silver wand and preferably Taismain of Saphery and Forlaiths robes

Noble w/ great weapon. dragon armour. shield.
Needs Armour of Caelador, guardian phoiniex, BSB

Lv.2 mage
Needs Seerstaff and Lore of Shadow

19 spearmen full command
19 spearmen full command
10 archers
10 archers
I like as 500pts of core, 2 units of 18 seaguard with shields and full command personally.

Tiranioc chariot
7 Dragon Princes full command
12 white lions full command
3 bolt throwers
Unless i'm mistaken, this is close to 800pts. Not that thats illegal, but for the points, your special selection coudl be better applied. Firstly, some kit for your charecters (the suggestions above will cost around 200pts). Then, i would have a unit of 20 PG's for the BSB and wizard, with command and banner of sorcery (380). Then, with the remaining 220ish points, spend it on either; 14 Basic Swordsmasters 14 Basic White lions 7 Basic Dragon Princes

Effectivly your hard hitting flank units for your seaguard and Pg's.

thesheriff

Tarian
11-11-2010, 22:24
Agreed with the Archmage that thesheriff offers, but I prefer Lore of Shadow on my Archmage.

AoC/GP is pretty much the standard issue BSB build it seems, and for good reason!

I'd actually consider giving the level 2 the Annulian Crystal and High Magic for some good magic defense.

Minimize your core as HE, as they kinda (sadly) suck. I like thesheriff's core choices.

Phoenix Guard are amazingly hard, so they're a good bunker, especially for the Archmage. I like Swordmasters personally, so I'd take them instead.

Oh, and archers really, really suck imo.

1.6blackout
12-11-2010, 01:18
since ive never played and this tounrey will by my first experience with WFB, im relying on the bolt throwers to do some skill less killing

ASTINOFF
12-11-2010, 05:03
change your core for LSG, they acomplish both funtions (bow/spear). Archers sucks!

You need something to go for Enemy's machines, maybe changes one bolt thrower for 2 giant Eagles... maybe!

D'Haran
12-11-2010, 17:28
Not a bad first try at HE's. Almost everybody tries to make archers work at some point, I started in 5th where a deep U shaped defense was all the rage with a ton of archers for HE. Since then they've steadily gone downhill and the latest edi hurt shooting unless you can spam out a lot of cheap ones which HE can't.

Other than that your heroes do need some equipment, in a tourney setting I'd be tempted to drop the 2nd mage and put the Book of Hoeth on your Archmage, along with the BoS it'll make your magic unstoppable, though don't rely too heavily on it, many HE players play as if they didn't have it and then use it to frost every cake they can. That said I don't know how I feel about using a big block of PG just as a babysitter, but it's your choice how to use 400 points.

Zaszz
12-11-2010, 18:15
Basically the best parts of High Magic are that its cheap casting cost, has some defense, and can kind of help nuke or shooting units.

Shadow however does a toughness curse helping archers actually be effective, mind blades, which gives phoenix guard with a character strength 9 attacks!, and VERY strong nukes. So in most cases this will be where most of your magic goes.

Alternatly you can go with lore of Life, which plays the role of defense, shoring up the fact that our units are expensive and fragile. Brining back 6 or so 15 pt elite infantry in one cast is hot ****. However Life doesnt do so well at killing the enemy. It's final spell can hurt a large low strength unit however, but over all the school doesnt do as much damage as shadow.

Unfortunatly you can't really afford to run two wizards with both schools unless you plan on tossing in jewel of dusk, and banner of sorcery, for D3+1 bonus power dice a turn. Otherwise you just won't have the dice to go around.

So you have two options for that, run both, and the afformentioned magic items. Or run 1 school on the arch mage, and high magic on the level 2 for some cheap casting spells.

If you are dead set on running archers, running an AM with shadow to debuff toughness, and high on the lvl 2 for arrow attraction is pretty good. Then in later turns you can turn on 5+ wards and mind blades for units in combat to make them deadly.

Archers are expensive however and only 2 pts cheaper then geared up sea guard.

I will say against mostly melee armies we can form a fair shooting force with magic, archers, and RBT's, but you shoe horn your self into a more shooting army and end up fairly boned against the 3-4 armies that can out shoot us, with either cheaper units, or better for the cost units.

Zaszz
12-11-2010, 18:21
If you take a AM in a unit of PG buffing their strength up with mind blades spell, it can be effective as a bunker and combat unit. The problems are basically that you could build a smaller bunker but PG are still pricy to not be in combat. While you could the big combat unit but then the AM gets into trouble.

In the bunker and hide from fights unit you would want book of hoeth for stronger magic garuntee.

In the combat unit you would want defense and thus not have as strong magic phase, by getting the forliaths robe and saphery gem thing you become immune to regular attacks, and make magic weapons mundane.

Neither option is 100% the best so you have to try both and decide what works for you and what works in your meta.

In my area the choice is made for me as teclis and the book are banned, along with a few other exceptionally powerful items, power scroll etc. Additionally we play with a hard cap of you can never for any reason roll more than 12 dice for casting spells, or dispelling, in one phase. Including free dice and dice stored from previous turns. Styming the worst of the VoC death mages, and OP Slaan's.

While I regret having some things banned entirly as its not a perfect solution, I do agree the changes have created a healthier environment where more variety and creativity are evident, at least over the last 4 months of play.

Tarian
12-11-2010, 19:29
Putting the Ethereal mage in the PG bunker allows them to get into combat against most things while keeping the mage safe(ish).

D'Haran
12-11-2010, 20:48
too many holes in ethereal mages for my taste, daemons have natural magic attacks, banshees, wraiths, black coach, magic in general that can target, magic dwarven cannon balls. I'm not saying it not useful, but I've been running it in an escalation league for awhile now and I think I'd rather have done the Book than the robes. Beyond that you're betting on your PG winning combat, which if properly buffed is much easier, but when babysitting a mage you have to be careful you didn't bite off more than you can chew.

Tarian
12-11-2010, 21:12
Well, I give my PG champion the magical attack item, which helps against Wood Elves and Ethereals, and you do get a LoS v. Cannonballs.

1.6blackout
13-11-2010, 16:40
i really appreciate all you guys helping me out, and i will post the outcome of the tournament when i return.

thesheriff
13-11-2010, 19:00
Putting the Ethereal mage in the PG bunker allows them to get into combat against most things while keeping the mage safe(ish).

Never throw my pg.s into combat. In fact, rarley move towards them. Wait for them to charge my unit and flank with SM and Princes. If i spend 400ish points on a mage defender with a +d3 power to boot, i am happry to not send her into combat.

1.6blackout
14-11-2010, 05:16
got my ass beat

thesheriff
14-11-2010, 20:04
Kinda makes your sig. seem a bit sh1t then :p

Fox Of 9
14-11-2010, 22:06
Kinda makes your sig. seem a bit sh1t then :p

lolz :D ( cant post stupid msg gt 2 have 10 characters :mad: )