PDA

View Full Version : Stopping the WoC With VC

Sexiest_hero
12-11-2010, 00:49
In our league The WoC almost has a good 1/3 of the map. His army consists of The dreaded MoK marauder horde,, the even more dreaded Hell cannon, Some knights and Warriors of tzeench, and a Disk riding lord. It's a deadly combo of killy stuff and 3+ armor with a ward. It comes in at about 2000 points.

I've got pretty much everything but Ghouls ( only 20) and Grave guard. I would like to NOT have to use Purple sun.

My two plans are... um Spam Lore of light vampires to get 2d6 str 8 magic missiles, lore of metal, or just take my normal horde of Blood knights and Black knights, and go for a Horde on horde fight with 40+ skeletons while hoping for flanks and casting Summon horde with 6 dice.

Thoughts?

Dreadgrass
12-11-2010, 01:10
I've got pretty much everything but Ghouls ( only 20) and Grave guard. I would like to NOT have to use Purple sun.

Unfortunately, my first suggestion was going to be Greatweapon waving Graveguard...

Wraiths could do you well in decent numbers, provided you can keep his characters and knights away from them, his marauders/ warriors won't be able to generate any kills and wraiths have Great weapons to crack that armour open... plus the banshees scream can sometimes help out with 2D6+2
- target LD wounds... a lucky roll could put paid to a fair few expensive chaos warriors... or even that Hellcannon!

The Light spell 'Banishment' could be good against the wardsave-heavy units, I wouldn't get more than 2 Light mages though... Probably stick with the 1 really as Lore of Vamps can be quite good...

In that regard, Curse of Years could be good on the big blocks, and it also sucks up his power dice to dispose of it in his turn.

I think pitting our weak troops against any of his big blocks is a loosing tactic to be honest, the only things I'd give a chance to are Ghouls and Graveguard. That Marauder horde will hit on 3's and killing on 2's with all those attacks... and skellies just can't dish out any meaningful damage to mitigate those losses, which will leave them crumbling at a great rate of knots, the only thing that might help would be a Drakenhoff-waving BSB.

meneroth
12-11-2010, 11:20
to beat the horde i would definentally use wraiths. they can at least hold it up forever, as long as they get a few kills each round.

Your lords are better than theirs, either at killing or or at magic, so just pick a direction you want to go and go that way. If you need to kill of their warriors though, i would go with a killy lord, though magic does have its place.

vargulf or black coach both can at least threaten the disk rider no problem. even if its not a garunteed kill, they will tie it up for a bit.

as for the hellcannon....best of luck. killy lord + potion of strength + the +3 attack sword perhaps?

Doommasters
12-11-2010, 19:58
to beat the horde i would definentally use wraiths. they can at least hold it up forever, as long as they get a few kills each round.

Your lords are better than theirs, either at killing or or at magic, so just pick a direction you want to go and go that way. If you need to kill of their warriors though, i would go with a killy lord, though magic does have its place.

vargulf or black coach both can at least threaten the disk rider no problem. even if its not a garunteed kill, they will tie it up for a bit.

as for the hellcannon....best of luck. killy lord + potion of strength + the +3 attack sword perhaps?

I find when i play the VC that the magic heavy lists give me the most trouble. Whenever they try and take a combat heavy list, i find that its like trying to fight WoC at there own game of which is what i want. Vampire lords built for mass combat damage will die to WoC troops as often their saves arejust are not good enough and eventually those str 5 attacks will kill you. The biggest issue is when the VC has enough powerdice to res troops, hence magic heavy list.

This is all in my experience ;)

herohammer
12-11-2010, 20:06
Throw wraiths at the marauders unless his characters are all sitting in there with magical wraith-wounding stabby things. 5 Wraiths with a banshee may be expensive but they should be able to chop up the shirtless northmen pretty well. Light spam or metal should deal with his more elite things and if you have wraiths (or even spirit hosts possibly) to deal with the horde or at least block it you don't need Psun as much since his other blocks are all probably pretty small metal and light should be great for cutting them down. The hellcannon might be problematic but on the other hand it costs a lot of points so if you take it down with a flying vampire lord or magic spam you should earn decent VPs.

Avian
13-11-2010, 08:48
To be honest, I wouldn't try to go horde-ish against WoC with the Undead as I've found that once you engage in this edition, they die much quicker than the Vampires can raise them back and they aren't ever going to kill anything. What I'm worried about is heavy magic combined with lots of combat troops (grave guard, knights of both kinds, coach, varghulf). Wraiths aren't that scary unless you're running multiple units as WoC can get a decent number of magic attacks spread around the army.

DeathlessDraich
13-11-2010, 11:41
The dreaded MoK marauder horde,, the even more dreaded Hell cannon, Some knights and Warriors of tzeench, and a Disk riding lord. It's a deadly combo of killy stuff and 3+ armor with a ward. It comes in at about 2000 points.

1) Not using Purple Sun? - Good for you. I strongly support good tactical manoeuvres instead of hoping on lucky magic.

2) MOK horde is the easiest to handle. Like all Frenzied units - simply throw them scraps. Sacrifice 80 pts - 2 units of 5 Dire Wolves to divert them away from the main combat arena. If you manage to lure them far enough from the general - even better. They should be out of action till at least turn 4.

3) Hellcannon - Treat it as you would any non magical warmachine - target them with Wraiths - WOC will be wary of them so make sure they're absolutely protected from magic and characters in the 1st 2 turns.

4) Chaos Knights & Warriors - Your Blood Knights can deal more damage. Again a matter of manoeuvring your kinights so that they can charge instead of being charged. You could use another unit of Dire wolves to accomplish this but your opponent will probably do the same with his Warhounds - so good tactical manoeuvring required here. Use your cheaper units to clear his sacrficials - doubtless he will do the same - so again a matter of who can accomplish it fastest. Add Screaming Banner plus Aura of Dark Maj. to assist in Fear tests.

5) 40 Skellies will be slaughtered albeit not as quickly as Zombies. Might as well have 50 Zombies with the usual ION spam. VC opponents always find the prospect of facing a >60 Zombies daunting.

Good luck and let us know the result! :)

Leth Von Lucifuge
13-11-2010, 20:24
Iunno, played a WoC army last week, 40 skeles and 2 vamps chewed up a MoK marauder unit w/ GW. It took a while, I lost a few rounds (no big when your troops are unbreakable and get back up), and it got pretty dicy when Kolek flanked me, but I killed 49 out of 50 and they broke.

bluemage
14-11-2010, 15:57
I recommend taking lots of wraiths to kill everything that doesn't have magic attacks. And then lore of death on a lord. I'm not saying to spam purple sun, but the other spells are great for killing characters with magic attacks. The base spell would be great for killing the hell cannon. You could also throw purple sun at marauders to regain power dice and maybe thin that horde out a little.

Defender of Ulthuan
15-11-2010, 04:10
You'll need a fair bit of luck. And, also, the Lore of Metal.