PDA

View Full Version : Death Skullz looting skimmers

world in grey
12-11-2010, 08:41
Right so I'm building up a large Death Skullz ork army and knowing they are great lootas (will nick and use anything not nailled down) is there any thing they wouldn't be able to use in the 40k universe?

I'm thinking Eldar grav tanks/jet bikes and the Dark Eldar Skimmers and jet fighters and maybe SM landspeeders?

I don't like the idea of just putting them on big chunks wheels so the main question is do orks have the knowlage and skill to loot and fly skimmers and other race's jets?

Iuris
12-11-2010, 08:48
I'd expect anything the orks loot would fly only via some suitably crudely amusing propellers.

Memnos
12-11-2010, 08:56
I'd expect anything the orks loot would fly only via some suitably crudely amusing propellers.

Orks understand jet propulsion. See Fighta-bommaz, Fightaz and Stormboyz for examples.

A properly motivated Ork could use a skimmer, but would probably kit it out with rockets to act as a hovercraft.

Bonus fact: Using carefully controlled rockets to hover would mean that people you ran over would be horribly burned, too. Fun for all!

Bonus bonus fact: Like all Ork rocket technology, it would be prone to losing control, corkscrewing sideways and crashing in to a wall and blowing up. More fun for all!

In conclusion, loot all you want. That's what they're there for.

world in grey
12-11-2010, 09:05
Humm I'm now seeing my stormboyz nob perched on top of one of the new dark eldar reaver bikes with a hugh rokkit attached slamming it into walls, tanks and other boyz

MagosHereticus
12-11-2010, 09:26
Right so I'm building up a large Death Skullz ork army and knowing they are great lootas (will nick and use anything not nailled down) is there any thing they wouldn't be able to use in the 40k universe?

I'm thinking Eldar grav tanks/jet bikes and the Dark Eldar Skimmers and jet fighters and maybe SM landspeeders?

I don't like the idea of just putting them on big chunks wheels so the main question is do orks have the knowlage and skill to loot and fly skimmers and other race's jets?

it was a shame looted tanks could not be made skimmers for XXpts

Jonny_N
12-11-2010, 09:31
Depends on the 'No-wots' of the loota in question. I would imagine a jetbike not flying too well with an ork trying to ham-fistedly fly it. I can imagine an Ork ripping the seats out of a land speeder and taking it on a massive joy ride though!

SgtTaters
12-11-2010, 11:26

Go for it, I don't think it's beyond a talented mekboy's understanding.

Look at what Mekboys have. The Shokk Attack canon's only peer on the 40k Battlefield is the Eldar D-Cannon, which is one of the most advanced pieces of technology in Eldar understanding.

I would imagine a jetbike not flying too well with an ork trying to ham-fistedly fly it
an ork can pull of 'Hit and Run' in his kopta, something only the most skilled Eldar can do with a jetbike hahah.

it was a shame looted tanks could not be made skimmers for XXpts

With all the tau looting they've been doing, I can see that as an upgrade for a 5e codex.

Orks are really the last race in 40k that anyone would say "nah they Can't do that!"

ctsteel
12-11-2010, 22:51
I'd imagine there'd also be situations where the skimmer's pilots have been killed with little or no damage to the vehicle (say it was parked in a landing area during an ambush, or a lucky shot managed to penetrate the canopy). You've then got an intact, fully functional vehicle that the meks don't really need to do anything extra to for operating it, except get grotz to press various buttons to see how it works.

They'll likely still bolt extra armour and guns on because they want to, but the vehicle itself could theoretically still be intact. I can even visualise an intact skimmer piloted by grotz or small stature orks, moving at high speed while dragging along a couple of cart/sled type contraptions containing boyz loaded up with guns shooting wildly.

madd0ct0r
13-11-2010, 01:10
I've gone with the chunky wheels option, but only because I think it looks good.

Some of my Dethkopters will be podracer versions of the old DE jet bikes, so still skimming as the rules are identical.
One jetbike didn't look as though it could carry an ork, except possible as a backpack.
( StormBoy Nob will be thus, when I get around to him)

One of my Battlewagons will eventually be similar to Jabba's Sand Barge. Kinda a stretch, armour plated Raider. Something that large I see having a lower flight ceiling, so can use as a ground vehicle quite happily.

starlight
13-11-2010, 01:38
The army entry gives you all the rules, what model you use to make it from is irrelevant as long as your opponent can tell what it is... :)

Iuris
13-11-2010, 09:48
Orks understand jet propulsion. See Fighta-bommaz, Fightaz and Stormboyz for examples.

Ok, I'll allow suitably crudely amusing turbines, too. Anything, as long as it isn't the original antigrav :)

madd0ct0r
13-11-2010, 11:00
Turbines! as big chunky wheels ;)

SM landspeeders actually make great buggies, but you could also stick giant rotors on things.

You can leave the model alone, but then what's the point of looting it?

War Angel
13-11-2010, 17:41
and knowing they are great lootas (will nick and use anything not nailled down)
If they did find something "nailed down" it would just be a delay and cause them some annoyance.
I'm sure they have hammers and stuff. :D

That would be hilarious to watch. Them trying to fly, and do. Just in a fast spinning like a bullet
as they go "Oh my Gork and Mork get me off of this this thing" sort of way.

A properly motivated Ork could use a skimmer, but would probably kit it out with rockets to act as a hovercraft.
If an Ork wants to build a device he'll find a way. He'd proabably take one look at an Eldar Jetbike
or Space Marine Landspeeder and say "Dat izunt Orky enuff! Iz will fix ut!"

Bonus fact: Using carefully controlled rockets to hover would mean that people you ran over would be horribly burned, too. Fun for all!
Woohoo! Bon fires and Ork fighting songs.

Humm I'm now seeing my stormboyz nob perched on top of one of the new dark eldar reaver bikes with a hugh rokkit attached slamming it into walls, tanks and other boyz
Now I'm seeing a huge splat of Ork goo on said wall.

I can imagine an Ork ripping the seats out of a land speeder and taking it on a massive joy ride though!
With all sorts of Ork spiky bits on it. And rockets on the side to make it go fasta.

You've then got an intact, fully functional vehicle that the meks don't really need to do anything extra to for operating it, except get grotz to press various buttons to see how it works.
Then the Orks laugh hysterically when the grots press the weapons button but forget it's still attached.

Chem-Dog
14-11-2010, 05:57
Don't forget that the Orks almost hold a 40K monopoly on weaponised grav technology, Lifta droppa + reversed polarity = floaty trukks!

TheLaughingGod
14-11-2010, 07:38
You should put treads on a Fire Prism

That seems like an orky thing to do.

Col. Tartleton
14-11-2010, 23:30
I'd suggest using Square Wheels...

Boy: "Boss wez ain't movin."
Nob: "Shut up ya git, get out and give 'er a push."
Boy: "Wez still ain't movin."
*Nob shoots boy*
Nob: "Iv ya wants ta do sumtin right ya gots to do iz yourself"
Mekboy: "Da problem seems ta be dat dis 'ere rustbukket ain't painted red enuff. Me be right back. Iz gunna gets me a propa can of paints for yuz. For a few extra teef me can fro in sum propa gubbinz for ya guv."

madd0ct0r
15-11-2010, 01:19
If the engine is big enuuf and the axels tuff enuff, square wheels won't matter.

I'm thinking about a squiggoth fire prisim now...