PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get Magic Resistance onto units? (WoC)

12-11-2010, 15:21
I need a way to defend my Chosen and/or Warriors from magic being Khorne. Whats the best way to do this? Collar of khorne on a character used to give the whole unit MR2 cause he was there but i don't think it works like that now. Help please.

Avian
12-11-2010, 15:23
Reading the Magic Resistance rules helps. ;)

Regardless, MR is fairly useless these days and I wouldn't bother with it.

Enigmatik1
12-11-2010, 17:34

I think Avian is right.

However, there is something to be said for getting your tin cans MR to protect them from the dreaded Lore of Metal. Only Final Transmutation ignores MR. The rest of the damaging spells in the lore are surprisingly subject to it. So if he's just worried about losing models to LoMetal or LoFire, MR isn't always useless. Luckily, WoC only really has to be worried about hexes outside of Metal, they're pretty resilient against the instajib spells out there thanks to good statlines.

sulla
12-11-2010, 18:28
Kill the enemy mages quickly if you don't want to take magic defence. While magic resistance is nice, and chaos warriors are largely resistant to the big spells due to their basic stats, you still have to worry about debuffs and enemy buffs.

6 khorne marauder horse with flails can get 2-3 models in base contact with a mage, so if you rank them 3 wide, you can get 6-9 flail attacks and some horse attacks on any mage you charge. Unless they are in a unit with initiative 5 or better, you should kill a lvl2 or hurt a lvl3. Take a few units to hunt those pesky casters.

Andy p
13-11-2010, 17:04

But not completely useless right? I must admit, somtimes I use a big boss with the mr3 item on my biggest night goblin unit. Why? Well even though I usually spend the points elsewhere it can be very useful against spells that hit the entire unit like fists of gork or dwellers below.

ooglatjama
13-11-2010, 17:05
But not completely useless right? I must admit, somtimes I use a big boss with the mr3 item on my biggest night goblin unit. Why? Well even though I usually spend the points elsewhere it can be very useful against spells that hit the entire unit like fists of gork or dwellers below.

Dwellers ignores MR

Avian
13-11-2010, 17:36
But not completely useless right?
Well, not completely useless, but it only works against direct damage and magic missiles and doesn't work against the mass-destruction spells as those kill you outright.

I used to take the MR3 item on my shaman lord, but I found that it didn't actually do anything, so I dropped it and saved 45 points.

Leth Von Lucifuge
13-11-2010, 18:02
Use the collar of khorne, use your DD judiciously (ie its better to take hits than it is to let your enemy get a good buff off, and its better to let a minor buff go off than take a hit from something like dwellers). If you have characters with juggers, or a hero who doesnt need magic weapons (fury of the blood god) use that too.