PDA

View Full Version : Necron Diversity, Old/Young/Big Small

Borg451
12-11-2010, 16:13
What do you theorise became of the children of the Necrontyr?
Did they get turned just like the adults..

8ft tall skeleton but the mind of a child?

Lord Damocles
12-11-2010, 17:34
'Whether the Necrontyr realised the price they would pay for accepting this pact with the C'tan will never be known, but thier race was utterly purged, becomming instead the Necrons and cursing themselves to eternal servitude of their star-born gods. The C'tan feasted on their entire race, leaving behind only ghostly echoes of the Necrontyr. Only a few of the very strongest retained their intellect and even they were shadows of their former selves.'
Codex: Necrons. pg.25 (my emphasis)

One would assume that the Necrontyr young would not have been amoungst the most favoured servants of the C'tan, and would not have been in positions of particular power within Necrontyr society/religion; and so would be limited to Warrior [including variants] bodies.

Loopstah
12-11-2010, 17:50
The young were probably just eaten by the C'tan rather than transfered into Necron bodies.

LordLucan
12-11-2010, 18:53
Yes, I imagine many of the original Necrontyr ended up with the minds of children.

However, these children would still 'grow up', just like Space marines start out as children, but then continue for centuries.

These child necrons would have only memories of growing up within a cold metal shell, and their minds would be warped and deranged, as would most necrontyr I should wager.

Balgora
13-11-2010, 08:44
Maybe this is all wrong but the best way I see the Necrons as being roughly similar to somebody with massive sleep depravation.

It wouldn't matter what the necron was before it was made because whatever it is would slowly get eroded away by lack of 'rest'..slowly losing your sense of reality and your capacity for thought and emotion, as the world slowly loses it's definition and vibrance, getting more and more 'tired' for lack of a better word. Until all that is left is essentially mental autopilot as you carry out the orders of your overlords in the neverending monotony that no longer requires conscious thought.

If you can imagine trying to focus on something and having it slip away from you because of lack of sleep, long periods of 'blank space' where you're not really aware of what you're doing or where you are.
Gaps start to appear in your memory and all that is left is that vague sense that something is missing, but even that is eventually gone as you are lost in the endless twilight of the present where everything simply blurs together into what you must do, how this moment is different from any other you've experienced is something you'll never be able to tell, they all look the same.
What purpose do these orders you are given even achieve? You no longer care, there is no future left for you, there is no world outside of the task you are doing.

Not so much being incapable of active thought, just no longer having the will or the focus to bring it to bear anymore.

Kroot Lord
13-11-2010, 09:41
Balgora, that was very well written en seems completely acceptable to me.

MEcorp
14-11-2010, 20:16
I definitely like your interpretation Balgora.

madd0ct0r
15-11-2010, 02:59
nice, a new twist on the 'restless dead' side of the Necrons.

Balgora
15-11-2010, 05:44
I'm fairly sure my interpretation is the rough standard of what happened to the necrons, degeneration added to by long periods of time in stasis.
Lexicanum says it is a result of being forced to phase out by damage that causes the additional degeneration and not the stasis..not sure where I got that from.

I'm not sure how detailed the transformation process into becoming a necron is, or how they perceive the world after it, or the specifics of how their stasis works.

Lionsprey
15-11-2010, 10:28
I'm fairly sure my interpretation is the rough standard of what happened to the necrons, degeneration added to by long periods of time in stasis.
Lexicanum says it is a result of being forced to phase out by damage that causes the additional degeneration and not the stasis..not sure where I got that from.

I'm not sure how detailed the transformation process into becoming a necron is, or how they perceive the world after it, or the specifics of how their stasis works.
isn't lexicanium that place famous for wrong fluff? or am i thinking of something else.

Iuris
15-11-2010, 10:41
isn't lexicanium that place famous for wrong fluff? or am i thinking of something else.

Yeah, fanfics often get "promoted" in there.

Still, the repair on repair causes insanity sounds familiar. It's not in the original codex, I'm pretty sure, but maybe one fo the later pieces? I'd have to check the main book.

However, the "shadows of themselves" definitely started at the original transit, in the original codex.

Balgora
15-11-2010, 10:44
Wasn't it also mentioned that part of the reason the Lords kept some sanity was because of more advanced stasis within the tombs?

Iuris
15-11-2010, 10:47
Wasn't it also mentioned that part of the reason the Lords kept some sanity was because of more advanced stasis within the tombs?

Not in the original codex. The quality of the stasis was not an issue there. I think it's an element introduced with the 5th ed main rule book.

Balgora
15-11-2010, 10:53
Sounds right, i'l check it later, the flowery descriptions I can do..remembering anything factual or remotely useful isn't quite so easy :P

Iuris
15-11-2010, 10:56
I had to move my books to storage due to space issues, so I can't help you there...

Grimtuff
15-11-2010, 11:10

40k rulebook (big one) page 179.

"A Necron that has "died" several hundred times will often be little more than a shambling automaton, with no memory of the creature it once was..."

Lord Damocles
15-11-2010, 13:12
Lexicanum is - as is often the case - innaccurate. As per Grimtuff's reference, degredation is caused [partly] by transference of consciousness from body to tomb and vice-versa:

'Should irreparable damage occur, the Necron 'phases out'. Body and conciousness are teleported to the nearest tomb complex, where they remain in storage until such time as repairs can be effected or a new form can be forged. Such seeming inviolability is not without its limitations, and each act of transference exacerbates any weaknesses in the Necron's engrams. A Necron that has died several hundred times will often be little more than a shambling automaton.'
Rulebook (5th ed.), pg.178-9

The same page also impies that degredation occurs to lesser Necrons while in stasis:

'The Necron Lords are the driving force behind the awakening. Of as high a rank in death as they were in life, the Necron Lords benefit from more sophisticated artificial bodies and stasis tombs than their vassals, allowing them to sleep through the millennia unplagued by the slow decay which has taken a terrible toll from others of their kind. As a result, Necron Lords retain the personality and memory denied to their minions.'
Rulebook (5th ed.), pg.179

Megad00mer
16-11-2010, 16:57
All this fluff ambiguity will most likely be ironed out when the 5th Edition Necron Codex comes out. There was a lot of questions regarding the nit and gritty details surrounding Dark Eldar (eg:why exactly do they do what they do?) but the new Codex fleshed it out and explained it all very well.

I'm sure the Necrons will get the same treatment. Expect a lot of Retconning though. ;)

Lord Damocles
16-11-2010, 17:00
None of the answers to questions in this thread have been particularly ambiguous have they?

Megad00mer
17-11-2010, 14:49
None of the answers to questions in this thread have been particularly ambiguous have they?

Considering that it's unclear what is and is not canon and there's still a ton of unanswered questions regarding how exactly the Necrontyr became the Necrons....

I'd say yeah.

madd0ct0r
18-11-2010, 01:19
Huh?

Lord Damocles's post above your first one gave cast-iron canon references for everything already mentioned in the thread. There's nothing unclear there, he even gave page numbers.

Likewise, Necrontyr kiddies became warriors, short of children being favored servants of the C'tan. Now that would be creepy, but not in a way GW is likely to approve.

As to the exact transmutation process, no, we're not sure about it. Digital brains seem to be the common explanation, with memory data presumably uploaded before the lucky Necrontyr was eaten.

There is a fair bit of room for fan speculation at the moment, and I doubt that'll change in the new codex. Maybe move, but not change.

neXus6
18-11-2010, 03:42
I know that from the perspective of them being an almost fully fledged race in the 40k universe it wouldn't work, but I liked when Necrons first turned up and nothing really was known about them.

Now they are just tomb kings in space.

Your average necron warrior wouldn't be much more than an automaton, infact if it had any mind of its own it would probably be quite mad regardless of if it started off as a child or an adult.